Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Looks about all I need so think I'm going to try it. It can get a bit head-wrecking looking at so many different models , reviews, stats etc, I just need something that runs the usual suspects nice and smoothly and I like to have usb for videos I have stored on my PC - just plug and play to view on the bigger TV

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oh i know that feeling alright, got fed up looking myself, and just went with the chromecast, tis grand, but i do miss having the option of messing around with a box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Suckit was saying that there are ads on the newer software on the Chromecast and seemingly the Me Cool KM2 also has ads, which I dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is a new Firestick out as well, called the Max and specs look good.

If you dont like the ads, just install the Wolf Launcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just a heads up, CCGTV will have more adverts sooner possibly (expected to) break any launcher. Wolf Launcher is a pirated/cracked version of that, launcher hijack, and has been called out many times by the dev and many others. No work done by Dr. Tech or TechDr etc. except to rebrand it, and possibly inject something, why else the reluctancy to do one him or herself. So - regarding the real heads up, if using any accounts on it (Netflix/Prime/AD/Disney/Spotify etc.) be aware that they may be ending up on some of the 'working accounts' groups that are for sale. Some people claiming that they have, but idk, so best to just say that they might. I really wouldn't recommend using that version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont suscribe to any of the accounts you mentioned, whether that will be an issue for me or not, i guess ill find out

This looks like it might be good.

Realme has not published full specifications but did confirm that its stick will support 4K (up to 60fps), AV1 and HEVC decoding, HDR10 and HDR10+, WiFi, and Bluetooth 5.0. It has a standard HDMI 2.0 port with one or more unspecified optional HDMI 2.1 features – probably ALLM.

It is based on an AMLogic SoC with a quad-core ARM Cortex-A35 CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 8GB of built-in storage.

The Realme 4K Smart Google TV Stick – that's the full model name – will be available soon from realme.com and partners. In India, it will cost ₹3999 which is around $55 dollars. It is the first direct alternative to Google's own Chromecast with Google TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

My trusty minix is starting to show its age now and is freezing a lot, usually when I use one specific app (which I can't mention here) that's power hungry.

I was looking at the shield, the one that looks like a tube and it's only 8gb which isn't enough so that's ruled it straight out. RAM is only 2gb, same as my minix.

Any recommendations?

I need it to be a minimum of 16gb and have 2 usb slots.

Not sure about budget, paid about €120/130 for the Minix about 4 years ago which seemed a lot but worked out great value for money so I'd rather spend what I need to and get another few years of hassle free use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I use smarttubenext for youtube it blocks the adds etc as there are 2 many especiall on fire tv youtube

• Advertisement

Annoyingly it's out of stock there and double their price everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

I think they get more stock monthly. Sign up for the stock notification. I did. They got new stock quickly and it arrived within a week from the Germany link.

Found a 4gb/32gb one on amazon this morning for about €50 delivered so went with it.

I'd have rathered a 64gb but it was €35 more and i've a big USB stick to put in so makes no real difference.

Cheers.

Still good value. Geekbuying charge 5 euro postage anyway I think. I got the 32gb coz i dont use the storage on the box for media. Everything streams from my PC through plex and vlc. Sometimes I use kodi.

It was less than a tenner more than geek buying and in stock so it wasnt worth waiting.

My minix only has 16gb and was more than enough with the USB stick so I didn't need the 64gb, just would have preferred it as it was only about a fiver more.

Fingers crossed it does the job.

X96 Max plus arrived this morning.

So far I'm very unimpressed. The Netflix app has the sound and picture off sync and it's unwatchable. Tried a few apks and none will install.

Both my remotes, a minix A20 and a Rii are very jumpy/jittery across the screen making them very hard to use. I've to turn off the pointer sometimes as I can't click on stuff and use the arrows to navigate to what I want to press like a tab key on a pc.

I might uninstall the Netflix app and try the apks again to see if that works but it's put away now for the evening as it was annoying me.

Wow sorry to hear this. I tried the Netflix app on mine. audio/picture sync is fine. Maybe I updated the netflix app at some stage. I'm not sure - I use the app on my TV for netflix.

I can install my own downloaded apks from inside the app "File Browser". Have an older VLC apk on the box to allow SMB streaming from my PC. File Browser definitely has permission to install apps from unknown sources as can be seen in the Settings on the box. Maybe have a look and make sure this is enabled.

I use an air mouse pointer with a gyro on mine. Very smooth and no problems clicking on stuff.

I feel bad since I recommended this box. Hopefully you can smooth these issues out.

Any other problems post here and I'll see if I can suggest things to try.

Depending on who you bought it from, there might not be a great rom on it (sounds like it may be the case in that one).. You may also want to check everything is correct (CPU. GPU, RAM and Storage) using something like Inware or CPU-Z etc.

If it is all correct, then you might want to install a different firmware on it. There are a few listed here (Use translate) and there are a lot more.

Instructions here: https://www.getdroidtips.com/stock-firmware-x96-max-plus-tv-box/

EDIT -

Just noticed you paid €50 for it.. You may also consider returning it (as they are normally around €30 with discount for that version). For €50, you're not far off the Mecool KM2 at €59. It has dropped to €50 a few times, and may again when Geekbuying get more stock in, or go again for the X96 with more than likely a better firmware.

Any reviews I found seemed decent so might just be a fault in the box somewhere.

I've an iptv app installed via an apk and it works perfectly so I can definitely install them, just any of the Netflix ones won't install. I'm gonna do a factory reset tomorrow and start from scratch and see how it goes.

I searched everywhere and the 4gb/32gb was never €30. The €50 was the cheapest anywhere online that had stock as I'd free postage from amazon.

I'll check the details if it's internals tomorrow thru the menus but it was bought from amazon so should be what was advertised.

I've sent the seller a message and waiting on a reply.

• Advertisement

It is a decent box. It was selling on Cdiscount for €100 up until recently (ignore the €149.99 'normal' price). It's only on sale for a week, will probably go back up.

I'm guessing main issue is firmware, which is also sometimes fixed by just performing a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Is there any android box that also has a coaxial input? I have some old consoles and I know I can get a coaxial to hdmi but it would be nice to have it combined.

Just an update on the h96 max plus.

I've done a factory reset, deleted any apps I won't use, including Netflix.

I installed any apps I wanted and found an apk for Netflix that works perfectly. Air mouse was working perfectly too.

Plugged in my USB and the airmouse started acting up again. Very slow and jittery and it just doesn't work properly. Plugged out my USB stick and the airmouse was perfect again so there's some issue there.

There's 1 USB 2.0, and 1 USB 3.0 so I tried swapping the mouse receiver and the USB but the mouse doesn't work at all in the USB 3.0.

Im stumped. Just gonna go back to my minix I think and wait for the shop to get back to me about it.

Do you fill your usb drive with media on your PC then plug it into your box?

Kind of, anything on it would have been downloaded from my other box that I'm looking to replace. I generally download onto the internal memory, then move it to the USB.

It's a 128gb 3.0 stick with roughly 25/30gb on it.

I also put in another older 32gb 2.0 stick that was empty and the air mouse started acting up again. Took it out and its perfect.

Interesting read about usb interference with wireless signals:

Not sure how to avoid your issue. 2 usb ports beside each other on x96 max +.

I have a few gig of media on my PC upstairs. I use plex or vlc to stream it to my box. I use VNC on my phone to remote into my PC and start downloads then they show up on my box to watch on my TV.

Cheers. That's a major issue if the 3.0 means you can't use an air mouse because of interference. The box is pretty useless without one.

I can't plug my mouse into the 3.0 cos it doesn't work, and can't use the 3.0 if the mouse is in the 2.0. That's makes the box pretty much not fit for use, for my use anyway.

Surprised this hasn't come up on Google or video reviews when I searched up on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

A USB extension cable allows you "separate out" the ports and can reduce interference by running the mouse wireless receiver away from the box. Not very elegant but worked well with the old MK808B.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I ended up buying this box, finding it very decent for the money - the only adverts I've seen were on YT and not so many, on NF and Prime where I have a paid acc already obviously zero adverts. It's quick, have had no trouble with stuttering or audio, I play everything 1080p and picture quality has been sound all through [watched many docu's and movies to date] flicking between Prime and NF is almost instant even after one running for a while, haven't noticed any degrading in image quality, have tested all across the apps I got at full 1080p and it's been seemless - probably worth the investment into a higher end box if you happen to want above 1080p but this can do 4K apparently - I have no reason to doubt it, I think the limit will be your net con

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Can you cast from your phone to a TV using an android box connected to the TV

Or do you still need a Chromecast device ?

Advertisement