Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I just feel I have to comment on a tweet I saw on the Kilkenny GAA news last night. It obviously interfered with my nights sleep. Anyway a Dublin club Naomh Barrog were congratulating two of their boys who were with the Dublin U15 development squads win against the Kilkenny U15 squads on a score line of 3-19 to 1-11.Last week the Cork U17’s hammered our U17,s of which there was no results given. All last year there was no results given either. All Kilkenny squads were being consistently hammered by Galway Tipp and Cork and probably others which I couldn’t verify. All the management teams will tell you it’s all about development.well they are certainly developing a losing mentality and fear factor which if the winning mentality is gone we will struggle to get it back. Those two Dublin chaps have no fear of playing Kilkenny. Just going back to the 2020 the Kilkenny manager was praising the Galway team on how good they were And it just seemed he was covering his arse in the pre match interview in the event of KK been beaten,it just seemed to me to be throwing in the towel before we even started. I was in Portlaoise that day ,the following month I was in Thurles to watch the 2021 minor semi- final with the same management team and some of the current management team. During the warm up these geniuses were standing around with there arms folded and not one of them went over to individual players to encourage them .i thought at the time this was not a good start sadly I was proven right. I won’t even comment on the game at this point. Going back to bed now after getting all that off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hi Marooned.

A little bit of balance to what you saw and the tweets.

Kilkenny's under 15s played in Crumlin Thursday afternoon and were very competitive for 3 quarters of that game. Then the management introduced a host of changes giving everyone a game. They changed the whole half forward line this resulted in the Dublin half back line swamping the Kilkenny backs as they had enough to do with the lads that started. Dublin also looked like a team that were only doing county training as some of the Kilkenny lads only turned up after the county final last week end. What I will say is that you could see the Dublin team have being in the gym a fair bit where the Kilkenny lads will only be doing that after their games are finished for the year. Also the weather really helped Dublin as the nippy Kilkenny lads were slowed down by the conditions. Skill wise I would say there was Little in the difference but again weather conditions determined that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Glad to be wrong in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

So. After all the bullshit of the recent past, looks like the second coming has been put on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Thomastown cant really have complaints.They got a fortuitous goal and Glenmore drove a load of wides in the first half.Eoin Murphy absolutely loarded it in the first half.Tucker was very sharp in the first half when the ball going in was decent but in the second half thomastown went route one time after time.They possibly could of had a penalty near the end and never gave up but Glenmore I thought were deserving winners.Ian byrne got 2 lovely points in the second half both but teams had sweepers and it wasn't a day for high scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob2015

I've been at numerous games every weekend across the three grades. There is a lot of doom & gloom around the place. Although a change a senior county management is probably needed we are where we are.

A few on here expected Thomastown to win comfortably. Thomastown have changed managers a lot in recent years. Maurice Aylward now involved with Glenmore & Brian Dowling as an example. It has been said that win or lose it won't matter to Henry's managerial creditionals but one should question how thomastown could play so long with John Donnelly & John Joe out from goal given position. If Brian Cody was in charge over thomastown today I'm sure he would be criticized heavily or questioned here with tactics etc. Thomastown will be bitterly disappointed I'm sure & this team will be now at a crossroads. Where do they go from here. Also probably unlucky not to get a penalty maybe at the end but Glenmore deserved victors.

Management in general often needs some luck. Take the first semi today Johnstown penalty went over the bar missed a clear goal chance afterwards one of those hits the net different game & then a deserved red. I feel both one player from each team should've seen the line but Fenians player connected with player after whistle was blown while freshford player pulled wildly first but didn't make contact with player as far as I could see. Freshford again started slow didn't score for 1st 11 mins but after seeing them 4 times this year they pulled away in 4th quarter. Also great to see a team managed by a local freshford man young coach under 30 in Stephen Farrell been given an opportunity just shows at times in sport anything is possible as I'm sure many wouldn't have had freshford as contenders for a final berth.

Yesterday comer deserved winners great crowd in Clara as many have said.

Neutral view here at all games over last few weekend's. Question here so we as Kilkenny supporters expect too many players to be finished articles now going into county panels across the board? Surely get lads in young & mould them

Off of the top of my head some players perhaps worth a look at with potential . Feel free to add more or disagree

Thomas Dunne, Shane Walsh worth another call in both Tullaroan

Sean Ryan, Conor Flynn both GBC

st Martin's full back name escapes me Cody,? ??

Jack Buggy comer although taken off yesterday

Ian Byrne Glenmore

Liam Moore dicksboro

Jordan Molloy, mikey butler both Olg

Cian Kenny Village

John Murphy Clara

Kevin Blanchfield bennettsbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

All the games this year the Fenians had a man sent off or an opposition player sent off , the Fenian player was dogging the Freshford player before that the lines man had a good view to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mooz

Does anyone know why Zach Bay Hammond wasn't listed on Thomastown's panel today? Has he not played this year? Thought he had good promise

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galestorm1

Zach Bay Hammond has not played hurling for thomastown since minor

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Any reason why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

He's playing for Waterford United's Under-19s in the League Of Ireland Underage Leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Maurice Alyward has some record in club hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Disappointing day for Thomastown yesterday but beaten by a better team and well done and well played to Glenmore.

Unreal performance by Eoin Murphy at centre back he orchestrated everything for them, he is a very good reader of the game. He started playing very deep and Stephen Donnelly got on a few balls and he stepped up on him and took control of things and then when Tucker was going well he sat right in front of him and snuffed out the ball coming in. That experience, game management and intelligence was the winning of the game. His two brothers had fine games and every glenmore man fought for every ball. Thomastown did well on Alyward and Byrne but they did have a few moments, what a score from Ian Byrne from under the stand into the town end.

We seem to be missing a few ingredients to get over the line but we did fight for everything on a day where we didn't get going, we got the last three scores and think it goes without saying that the referee was the only person in the ground that thought that wasn't a penalty on 57 minutes. In fairness the glenmore fans couldn't believe their luck and were even laughing at it. But that said it was 19 points to 1 10 with 6 or so minutes left so that does tell its own story. Thomas O Hanrahan was exceptional yesterday and in last few games and John Donnolly and Jonjo were good too. Henry brought them out the field for there physicality but we did also need them inside for tucker to play off. Long way back for thomastown as now we have had Maurice Aylward and Henry and we couldn't do it so today it feels like it may never happen.

The first game didn't have the same quality but it was intriguing. Fenians started great and were well on top early, the battle they show is amazing and they are a credit to their club. They play so close to the edge that they get a few red cards which is something they need to work on. JJ did some good work the way he keeps the hurl in and turns over ball is unreal, boy do we miss him for kilkenny.

Freshford had just about enough and will give glenmore enough of it, I feel they have a chance but only if they score few goals in the final.

Best of luck to freshford and glenmore in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Glenmore were the top team on show at the weekend and should go on and win the final but we've all seen how tough intermediate finals your supposed to win can be.

Thomastown and Glenmore both started off playing a lovely brand of hurling for the first 15-20 minutes and it was far better than any off the fair from the previous weekend. The difference was Glenmore's middle 8. They worked like dogs and put Thomastown under huge pressure forcing them to eventually resort to long ball into a small full forward line. In the first 20 mins Thomastown were pinging nice ball into the corners for their nippy forwards to get out to first. This worked well at the start but with the pressure Glenmore brought Thomastown just kept lobbing high bombs into the edge of the square and in fairness to Tucker given his size he did very well for a few of them but like another poster said they didn't have enough big men needed to carry out the plan they had. Henry and Richie O'Neill were making changes but they couldn't solve the fight that Glenmore were showing in the middle of the park. I'm sure the Thomastown lads were doing their all but surely there was some form of disappointment among them with the Galway announcement and for me that probably told a bit in their willingness to get involved in the middle third battle. I hadn't seen any intermediate games before yesterday but going on reports here and in the KP it was very obvious the Glenmore were flying it and were every bit as good as Thomastown.

The first game was a real slog and the Fenians as is their want brought massive amounts of physicality to every challenge and definitely crossed the line for the red card and the Freshford man was probably lucky to stay on the field too but in his defense I think the ball was at least in the vicinity when he swung. Even before the sending off Freshford had started to rally a bit but I probably would have fancied the Fenians to get over the line with a full compliment. As it was Freshford never really looked like losing but really struggled to put it on the scoreboard until they got the two scores. St Lachtains will come with plenty of determination and commitment if they can be more clinical in their shooting I'd give them a chance in the final. The wind in the first game was much stronger than the second game so that should be mentioned too.

Unfortunately I can't see the senior final being much of a game if OLG continue to line up with Deegan up front. I think it will be a positive if they can be beaten by less than the Boro last year. In fairness to OLG I don't think they will fall apart like the Boro did and will fight all the way to the end but I just don't see enough threat up front for them to stay close to the Shamrocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Cracking 2nd game in the park. Both sides went at it with huge honesty and intensity and were by and large left at it by Peter Burke who helped to make it the game it was.

I thought Henry set Thomastown up very defensively in the 1st half, probably trying to cancel out the danger of Ger Aylward. While this worked, I think it definitely diluted Thomastown up front and also left Eoin Murphy with the freedom of the park at times. Murphy's influence on the game was huge but I feel the game was won by Glenmore's players from midfield up to corner forward. I thought the pressure they applied to Thomastown's backs/midfield forced Ttown into rushed and hurried clearances straight down the middle to the waiting Murphy.

I thought the ref should've shown 2 red cards in the 1st game, but it always seems to be the 2nd man to strike that gets caught. Freshford were slow to get going and on yesterdays evidence would want to improve a good bit to stay with Glenmore but can the men from the south (who will surely be hot favourites) reproduce the efforts of yesterday remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I heard from one of the lads in our club that there was an U13 regional blitz on Saturday. 8 teams on 4 pitches and each team got 4 games i think. He was impressed by the standard. Seemed like a good morning's hurling by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amber_black

glenmore beating thomastown was somewhat of a surprise but they were the better team.They played well really fought for each other. did town lose some focus with the henry galway razmatazz and expecting to win/be handed c final and walk off? .can only have fuelled effort from Glen men. Shane murphy could be added to the list above maybe. eoin murphy is a serious hurler out the field also at club level. henry and management team did not cover themselves in glory yesterday especially in second half.glenmore had their number yesterday

fenians fought hard that loss of number 6 was big blow but the opposing player might have went too. Fenians started well and were on top before sending off. They always give everything. Freshford got the job done and will fancy chances against Glenmore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Any of ye on face book should go over to the Freshford gaa page see the ground that there number ten covered its amazing. As regards the loss of number 6 he pulled wildly before the incident he was sent off there was a helmet pulled off St lachtains player in the second half which the player had to get hospital treatment after the match. Are Thomastown as good as people think Freshford left it behind them last year in the semi final lisdowney wiped there eye in the final. Glenmore look good i say they will win it out two serious corner backs the three murphys etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Good podcast on off the ball with PM o Sullivan discussing Shefflin and Cody.

I put it up here the other day.Very good interview and suprised it wasn't discussed more.Its hard to disagree with him and unfortunately the club scene hasn't really thrown up many new faces that will make a big difference

Good assessments of the matches over the weekend. Johnstown deserve credit they've flirted with relegation recently but the sending off was a killer,in fact discipline needs to worked on.You can't afford to lose a man.I thought it was strange at half time fenians had a free in but the ref blew up for half time.There was also an issue with the time and its probably time to give the time keeping to the 4th official.This didn't affect the outcome Freshford had a better spread of scores and Liam hickey is probably a lad who will be called in.Freshford have yet to play for a full 60 mins but they have goal scores in their team so they definitely have a good chance.We don't know how Glenmore will be after beating thomastown Thomastown can't really have complaints but It's very dissapointing the two umpires a couple of yards from the incident didn't see it and its not good enough.Its good to see tucker back to he's best.

I also agree the circus surrounding Henry didn't help thomastown.we seen it with the boro aswell bonner leaving mid season isn't ideal.Its going to be hard for thomastown to pick up the pieces but the age profile is good and we seen with tullaron,ballyragget and the rower the found it hard to cross that line.

Is €15 for one match Sunday a bit steep?we got two matches for a tenner recently.Its live on TV so It will probably take from the crowd.

Special mention to Maurice alyward he's after being with a lot of clubs and still going strong but declan wall is also a good coach.Both teams will fancy their chances of winning this final.The South is on a high at the moment.Mooncoin v tullogher in the junior and it should be a very good match and Glenmore in the intermediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

Maurice Aylward must be one of the best club manager/coach that's been on the club scene in quite a long time, unbelievable record. In fairness to the referee, the radio said on the second game that the correct time was played and it was the clock on the scoreboard that was wrong. Looking forward to the 3 finals now, hopefully we have a few dry days so the pitch in the park drys up and can be in good condition on Sunday. No dressing rooms last Sunday either and doesn't look like they will be opening for Sunday coming.

would not think Liam Hickey would be called in he was there before left of his own accord must be near thirty at this stage.

Didn't know he left on his own accord years ago.He probably is 27 or 28 the same as deegan,James maher and Wallace.He has had a good year for the club and himself and donnelly are dangerous.

Looking at cork tonight strengthening their back room team ours looks very weak when you line them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

It's UPMCs gesture not Co.Board, I'm sure they'll be counting the cost of lost revenue. Nice touch from UPMC though.

Its a joint venture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

In fairness to both refs we copped this during the first match and we figured it out for the second match. Whoever is controlling the clock on the scoreboard in the park is stopping it for the waterbreaks and possibly other breaks so this is where the confusion arises. I know the ref in the first match had 3 watches so he was certain he had played the correct amount. The county board need to pick one way of doing the clock on the scoreboard, either let it run or stop it but don't change it from one weekend to the other.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

Advertisement