Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Send them packing back to whence they came, if your on the take and here for a scam, back to your home country, no ifs no buts, be gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was on PUP for about 2 weeks last April. I was taken aback at how easy it was. Basically you just needed a PPS Number.

Anybody who had have worked or lived in Ireland at any stage could have signed up for it. And could still be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I absolutely agree that if citizenship is obtained on false papers or other fraud it should be revoked and the people deported, I don't see how you could administer removing citizenship for other reasons.

If a person is made a citizen then that's it, they are a citizen. This presumes that citizenship is only granted to people with clean criminal records. Otherwise you are giving them provisional citizenship, you can be Irish as long as you behave.

Do you have a sliding scale of offences for which someone can be stripped of their citizenship? Can it be revoked for a motoring offence? Where do you start. And what about people who have given up their original citizenship, where would they be deported to? Its far more complex than just saying 'throw out all dodgy Nigerians'. If they (or any other nationality) are all that dodgy then don't let them in in the first place, or at least don't give them citizenship.

Fraud during a pandemic?

20-years in prison, then a third-class flight back to Nigeria with a permanent ban to enter any EU country for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FFS. How many cases are there of Irish citizens committing fraud and never is there a suggestion that they lose their citizenship?

But we've a shower of geniuses on here who thinks it is a legitimate option to have two different types of punishment for the same crime with the determining factor being whether someone was granted citizenship or just awarded it at birth.

There was an item in the news last week about a property owner who tried to evict people squatting in a property. He too has been found guilty of fraud and other offences. I bet many of the people cheering him last week, are cheering the idea in the OP this week.

But no, no racism here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

100% should be stripped of his citizenship, jailed, then deported.

Absolutely, there is a distinction!

If you are lucky enough to be awarded Irish Citizenship, that is more than just an honour! It's widely sought-after recognition - legal gold dust. If you then receive that citizenship and abuse it, you absolutely deserve to be crucified (figuratively) compared to the native citizen.

In fact, it takes a particularly disgusting kind of person to engage in this kind of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Irish people committing fraud, or breaking the law should be convicted accordingly, regardless of their wealth. Anyone who was awarded citizenship & who commits a crime (one strike for serious stuff, three strikes for minor stuff) should be ejected from this country, again regardless of their wealth. No ifs, no buts. Gone, bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You shipping the jail back to Nigeria with him or what?

Once someone is awarded citizenship, they're Irish.

Prosecute them as such but we also have laws about discrimination.

You can't hold a bigger threat over someone just by virtue of the fact that they were awarded citizenship.

There's literally laws against doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,728 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Tell me how How many cases are there of Irish citizens committing fraud and never is there a suggestion that they lose their citizenship?

How many cases of people coming here for international protection and asylum lied repeatedly and scammed the system ,

90 % + ?

They came here for a better life of crimes and better rewards with little or no consequences for their actions from drugs , murder ,rape , people trafficking .why shouldn't they be deported , maybe its time we ban dual citizenship from Africa and elsewhere and no option to gain citizenship in the first place.

Let blame racism how original

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seems the problem so is we need to change our Citizenship policy. Maybe every "given" citizenship should come with the caveat that any major crime means revocation. Put a time limit on it if the bleeding hearts are too upset. 10 years. We should only be giving that to people who contribute and benefit Ireland.

Will never happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pretty sure we all know or have in our own families people who have bled the state for money, houses and everything in between with extremely little chance of recompense to the taxpayer.

Can we deport them to Nigeria too?

I ask this because I have a strong feeling it would include about half of the posters on page 1 of this thread 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

How does anyone get a free gaff? Anyway, as for revoking their citizenship, I think the only way that can happen is if it can be proved that the person gave false information on the application. You can't just be stripped of your citizenship if you commit a crime.

It doesn't work that way. All citizens are the same whether naturalized, born in country or citizend by sanguinis (blood right). A naturalized citizen is not less of a citizen than a born citizen, so get that idea out of your head.

Don't know where you pulled the 90+% figure from.

Only about 20% of asylum applications are approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hustlenbustle

20percent might be approved but those rejected dont tend to leave. These two really are no addition to any country and should be sent back. The suggestion made of once made a citizen/ given asylum and being told that within a certain amount of time if u commit a crime you're deported is a good one. It would remove these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ireland is a republic with a constitutional guarantee of equality before the law. It is fundamentally repugnant to this notion to suggest that there should be two classes of citizen, one whose citizenship can be revoked if they fail to display proper civic virtues and another whose citizenship cannot be revoked in similar circumstances. Other countries may choose have first- and second-class citizens, but we should not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Ireland: Land of 1000 bleeding hearts.

No wonder the govt constantly bends us over. Hugely frustrating as someone with a brain, but we deserve exactly what we’re gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The facts of this case are extraordinary on many fronts.

At the start of the Pandemic, there is no doubt there was wide spread fraud given it was an emergency measure and the application process was deliberately made easy to insure upwards of 600k got urgent and immediate support. Let's park that bit aside for a moment.

This was not just a simple fraud, it was a planned, determined and extremely complex effort to the defraud the state on a massive scale.

74 employee PPS numbers obtained from two state agencies. (Beyond extraordinary)

57 seperate Banks accounts in two institutions. (Perplexing given how setting up one account is)

€184k that we know of.

I simply ask how all of the possible.

Anyone who's tried to open a bank account in recent years knows how difficult it can be, ID, POA etc etc.

Anyone who deals with SW knows the eligibility checks carried out (take aside getting PUP awarded initially)

It's not clear how long the scam lasted but certainly, I recall within 2 months of PUP being introduced, checks commenced, most notably Data being shared between revenue & SW.

There is actually more questions than answers.

With regard to citizenship loss, this is not going to happen with one of defendants as there is an Irish born child involved, very little info on the other defendant. What is however striking is some money (€6K) I believe paid back, I say striking as these cases historically, and there's been a few on a smaller scale usually result in a total loss to the state.

In reality the €184k is the tip of the iceberg, when legal fees, incarceration costs etc factored it, I suspect the loss will be closer to €1 million.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

"74 employee PPS numbers obtained from two state agencies" Didn't the SW introduce a facial recognition software a few years ago to combat this type of fraud? How were they able to obtain so many PPS numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They did but only when applying for a PSC, I also believe its not even used when applying for PPSN.

The issue here is fraudulently obtaining PPSN from State employee's who in fact were either unlikely to have ever claimed PUP or indeed even be entitled to it, I'm not aware any state employee lost their job or were temporarily laid off, open to correction.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Legally, perhaps that's the case.

But it doesn't make it right. We both know that a Nigerian living here for 5-years as a taxi driver is not ethnically Irish as a native Irish family from Kenmare.

You can pretend they're the same, but they're not. Being Irish is more than just sharing the same legal document.

Second, yes, that means the system must change and new adherents to the country must be told that this citizenship is conditional on the basis that you never commit a crime - ever; otherwise it will be revoked and you may risk deportation.

They will be asked to read and sign that document. It's up to them to do so, and if they do, they accept the conditions therein.

Let there be no talk of deportation Ted! Sure we have our own tricksters too! The crafty feckers were born here. Some could be even ginger!! Tackling them would be discriminatory.

I say open up the borders and let everyone have access to the pot of gold in Ireland.

Most of the people on here seemingly think this is Ok so why not let it happen sure Paddy has a load of dosh to pay for it.

Then we can start a thread about the highest taxation in Europe and give out there instead as it wont be seen as racist.

Sure I made a fortune in the USA myself on the ol dole when I went there with no job........maybe not I had to work 2 jobs just to pay the rent.

I think I'll stay in Ireland money for old rope with Zero consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,829 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I take it your two neighbours married Africans without realising that "maybe he loves my citizenship more than me ...".

Unless someone is fairly dim to begin with, they have to be aware of that possibility before they proceed. While they can never know for certain, they take that risk knowingly. They can't be moaning about it afterwards. They had their couple of years of whatever they wanted that they probably wouldn't have had otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm talking about foreign criminals who come here for better proceeds of crimes

As someone with a brain?

To paraphrase Tywin Lannister, anyone who has a brain, doesn't need to say they have a brain.

(that aside, your practice of getting heavily involved in a discussion while not knowing a very significant basic point relating to it would further dispute this simple statement)

• Advertisement

Get to work peasants and keep paying your taxes.........

A great little country we have

Advertisement