Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

You have to wonder, considering these masks are so good, why we bothered with lockdowns and vaccines at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

Anyone here get tested recently?

How long are test results taking to come back from testing?

The covid tester said 24 to 48 hours. I got a test today but I need the results tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

There is an article in the Irish Times that I am curious about.

Where are they getting the figures for unvaccinated cases?

I have had a test in the time period mentioned and at no stage was vaccination status asked for. Neither was apps number. The main thing they were interested in getting was a phone number to send the confirmation text to.

No id was checked and any name or address could have been given.

Another issue I have with this article is the deaths since April aspect. Surely it is a given that majority of deaths during a period when less than 10% of the population was fully vaccinated we're going to be unvaccinated.

I will add that I have been keeping a record of the weekly death reports broken down by vaccination every Friday since September.

Using these reports allows a reasonable break down of deaths to be made in the period since then.

There is a hell of a lot higher percentage of vaccinated deaths happening than is being made out in this article.

This article, in fact, is misinformation. Assuming it is not deliberately presenting the information in a way that may be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Its in the article...

" Of the 25,433 fully vaccinated people, 9,775 or 16.7 per cent were self-reported as being jabbed and 15,658 or 26.8 per cent were checked through the Covax vaccination programme system."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,218 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

An ISAG policy that they push in the media every time there’s a bit of anxiety over school cases etc. Hoping they’ll trick a few more parents each time into wanting to mask their children at school. They’ll try to turn it into a ‘mask your children or else we’ll have to close schools’ choice.

I despise masks in schools. I wear it as I am forced to by the rules, but I’ve no time for anyone who tries to tell me that a child should be wearing a mask in school. It’s cruel, we’ve been cruel enough to children during the pandemic, we don’t need to another thing to the list. The impact masks would have on children’s development, language skills and development, confidence & enjoyment is just not something worth thinking about.

I can safely say as a teacher I will never be enforcing such a rule if it was to come in. (I don’t think it will thankfully but stranger things have happened - such as needing a mask to go to the jax in a pub you’ve sat in for 5 hours..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

As of 8pm last night

In hospital 483 and in ICU 91

Last Monday those numbers was 500 and 99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭brickster69

Well 8.2 million boosters have been handed out already and expecting capacity to reach 500K per day now over 50's are getting appointments. So i would think maybe 20 million people will have been done by the end of November and those will be the ones most at risk of going into hospital or dying. If they work it is bound to fall off a cliff.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭brickster69

It's true, yet you can guarantee others will do the total opposite though. France just starting to tick up now and then the med countries will no doubt follow. We could easily have a stage where the UK are the only country in Europe not under any restrictions at Christmas, imagine that.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Unfortunately, several members of my extended family waited well over 24 hours for their test results in the last 2 days. In fact 2 still didn't have them last night, so if they have not arrived this morning they will go over the 48 hour mark.

It has always been 22-24 hours for my own immediate family, but I am not sure what is going on at the moment. Even back when the schools were all being contact traced and the kids were being tested it was still 22-24 hours, so I don't know what the story is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's not an awful lot of point making these weekly comparisons, as these numbers swing around a lot, but going down is always good to see.

The numbers being tested at present are pretty high and some are going to Germany so that could be part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The short answer here is that cases are already not translating to hospitalisations. Since July we've seen hospitalisations shooting up while cases were at 1500 a day, and dropping while at 2k/day.

There is still of course a rough link; cases up = hospitalisations up. However it's not as predictable as it was previously. Mainly because of the age profile. If 3000 of yesterday's new cases are under 25 (they're not, just for example), there'll be practically zero hospitalisations from that. Whereas in earlier phases of the pandemic you could be fairly guaranteed that each day's cases would be predictably distributed across age profiles, leading to a predictable # of hospitalisations.

Case numbers have jumped now, bang on to coincide with the reopening of nightclubs and other close-quarters activities on 22nd October. But crucially, these are mostly young person activities. Unlike pubs or restaurants, the amount of over-40s in coppers will be tiny.

Hospitalisations do also have a tendency to stabilise. When they first go up, we see an overall increase, but if 100 people are admitted today, they will mostly be discharged 4-5 days later. Eventually discharges catch up with admissions and the numbers stabilise, as is happening now. They didn't in the past because cases grew exponentially. But now cases are not growing exponentially. They're rising much more slowly.

----------

Aside from that, and absolutely anecdotal, I would be curious to know whether the rate of false positives is increasing. The gap between swabs and cases is getting much wider.

I know a family, who all developed the same sniffle/cough RSV symptoms that the entire country has gotten over the last few weeks. All did antigen tests, negative. All got swabbed, kids & mother tested negative, father tests positive.

Curious as to how the antigens got it so wrong, the father went back and did another PCR test the very next day, comes back negative.

Between contact tracing and the rest, over the next two weeks, both parents had 4 PCR tests each, and both returned one positive and 3 negatives. They burned through four boxes of antigen tests without returning a single positive. The kids were each swabbed 3 times and never tested positive. Which makes no sense since there were no quarantine/hygiene barriers employed between the kids and the parents, and they're the ones who are unvaccinated.

Their working theory is that at some point in the recent past, both of the parents contracted covid, but were asymptomatic. They then went for tests on the back of the RSV symptoms, and the PCR tests managed to pick up the miniscule amount of material still hanging around from an infection that passed weeks or even months ago. This is why you're asked not to get a PCR test if you've had covid in the last 9 months.

Yes, it's absolutely anecdotal, but IF this is not a unique scenario, if it's happening commonly, then it would suggest that many of the day-to-day cases now being picked up, are people who are long past recovered from Covid. Which would go some way to explaining why case numbers can be so high (and rising) while hospital numbers are stable and ICU numbers are dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What you say makes sense Seamus, but I've long given up even trying to figure it out myself.

Anecdotally also,

3 houses that I know of with a case in the last 2 weeks, none of which had a case before now (that they knew of anyway)

House 1: 2 parents, 2 kids. 1 parent tests positive after being a close contact. No isolation in the house among the other 3. None of the others tested positive.

House 2: 2 people, 1 a close contact, no symptoms, antigen positive, pcr followed up with positive, still no symptoms and the other person in the house is still returning negative tests with yesterday being the last one I believe.

House 3: Family of 5. 2 parents & their kids ( I say kids but all between 18-23) . One of them tests positive via antigen after her boyfriend also tested positive via antigen, both then PCR positive. 1 of the parents developed symptoms and has been in bed for a few days now but has tested negative via antigen and PCR, doctors assuming viral infection of some sort but struck me as a bit of a coincidence. Nobody else in the family has tested positive bar the initial case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Dutch took an approach like Sweden and the people there didn't even take that level of restriction serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yeah agreed. That's why you'd have to laugh at our covid celebrity twitter journalists. Sombering atmosphere before case numbers were been announced yesterday apparently.

We have the most risk averse person in charge at the moment MM. He has stated there would be no going back.

This is it now unless there is a new variant. Its time we accepted that. Granted the media aren't helping.

everyone knows the health services stop at 5 on a Friday evening and no discharges take place over the weekends.but it keeps the fear mongering going by distracting from the shambles the hse has been since it’s inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sick of it.

On Sunday the media couldn't wait to announce the hospital numbers were over 500.

Now they are back down not a peep about it.

They have been a disgrace through this whole pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I believe MM was on the radio this morning. His main subject “ Can’t guarantee re introduction of restrictions “ “ cases are very concerning “ blah blah blah

Jesus M, make up your mind soon for a lockdown if you want one, need to know do i fill the container and lock it up for off!

Thanks for that. I have some symptoms and don't feel well. I don't mind waiting it out but there's some pressure to get back to work ASAP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Interesting to hear those anecdotes.

My 3 year old niece tested positive at the weekend. Her very unwell older sister tested negative 2 days later. However the older child was coughing, and is now running a high temperature with an awful cough, similar to her positive sister. She is to be re-tested tomorrow. The father is positive. Mother is still waiting on results (over 48 hours now).

She also managed to infect my own father and sister, and 2 other people are waiting for results. (again, over 48hours now). They have basically no symptoms.

I am pretty disgusted at the management of all this. Leaving people waiting 48 hours to get results is ending up in sick kids who do not have covid being delayed getting to see a doctor, meaning that they end up in A&E, as their condition worsens. (again anecdotal, but from a Temple Street Consultant and my own GP). If we really want to manage this properly we should be tightening up the testing times, and still doing some contact tracing. Successful management of it in many Asian countries seems to mainly consist of rapid results and contact tracing. We are not doing well on either front right now. It seems to be a case of letting it rip now that everyone is vaccinated. Fine, except there is now a dawning realisation on the powers that be that vaccines aren't preventing transmission to the hoped-for levels.But we are still being told wear a mask and wash your hands and don't trick or treat and have playdates. Instead it should be here's how WE (the Government and the HSE) are going to get test results back within 12 hours, here's how we are going to manage contact tracing in schools, and here's how we will track Covid patients through hospitals as best we can without impacting on other services where possible. Boosters should be offered to the Health Service and teachers I think, at this point.

Instead it's point the finger at the population as usual, and pretend the background stuff in the HSE (which the population is relying on to help manage their own way through Covid), isn't a problem.

Infuriating.

I wonder if vaccines are reducing viral loads and making it harder for tests to pick up an infection?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

FWIW just adding to the above my father (HCW) is ill at the moment and has virtually every COVID symptom except loss of taste and tested negative. Was convinced he has COVID but 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're reading watching or listening to the wrong media perhaps.

Irish Times, RTE and Newstalk all covered it this morning and yesterday.

"As of 8am, there were 493 people in hospital with the virus, down 22 on the same time yesterday."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

My sisters boyfriend has every symptom of covid, his mother and sister who live in the same house are positive but hes tested negative twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Listening to the radio all morning.

Haven't heard it mentioned once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They had a national night time curfew that went on for three months at the start of the year.

• Advertisement

As DeGascún said in March 2020 - people have other things! Most symptoms are not unique to COVID.

Advertisement