Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Purchase a 43-49" Ultra-wide Monitor - Where would be the best place to buy ...

Options
  • 21-10-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am looking to purchase a 43"- 49" Ultra-wide Monitor for my office. I am currently using an Acer 34" Curved Ultra-wide and looking to go a little bigger. Looking for a little bit of advice from people on here that have purchased one in the past.

Where would be the best place to purchase one? Has anyone in the past ordered a huge monitor from Amazon UK? Is it worth the hassle if it has to be returned if defective? Is Amazon.de an option?

Any good stores in Ireland that sell good quality ultra-wide monitors? I've been having a look about and cant see much available past harveynorman or currys and their stock isn't great.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

Been using this for the last 6 months. Took about 2 days to get used to it instead of dual screens. Its so good we ordered 7 more for the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ShadowFax

Looks good, decent price too. Whats that brand like, never seen much of them before.

Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

They are a relatively new Australian brand. But I think there are only a handful of companies that make the panels, so it's likely to be an LG panel. If you aren't a professional gamer, it's more than adequate!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you're going over 43" you might as well buy a 120Hz OLED TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

preach it brother....I went 55" OLED and never looking back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ShadowFax

Cheers for the replies lads, much appreciated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

8ms response time seems rather slow on that electriQ?

I'm curious about what a screen like that is used for? I wouldn't watch video or game on that full screen but I'm assuming software lefts you use multiple sources on it at the same time and you use as one desktop or something ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Just something to think about with buying an OLED TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ah good old 'Hyperbolae/Which way is the wind blowing today mr. Sponsor' Linus. I have a 49" Super-UW QLED and a 65" OLED CX connected to the same machine. Both have their strengths. I prefer gaming most of the time on the TV, the impact from the contrast on the OLED cannot be touched regardless of what people think of peak-brightness it's all about that dynamic-range so HDR on it is stunningly good. The monitor is brighter but HDR is relatively bad on it and I prefer SDR there. For productivity though the monitor absolutely wins, work or my own projects, also sometimes I do like to game on it just for that super-wide FOV as it can be quite an experience in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Can I ask, for those who have a 49" ultrawide, how is it for gaming?

I've been toying with the idea of changing from an LG 34" ultrawide to a 49".

ASUS ROG STRIX Curved XG49VQ is what I am currently considering. It's £850 on Amazon now.

I have a 2080 in my PC, and not really looking to upgrade the GPU anytime soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hmm this oled tv talk got me thinking about dipping in.

We are almost finished converting our bungalow attic space and i want to put my pc in there and also a TV room but maybe using a tv for both tasks might me worth a shot, any suggestions on a decent 43" + high refresh rate tv?

Post edited by Dcully on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Recently changed my old 60hz 40 inch 4k monitor to the 48" version of the LG C1 OLED and I must say I'm delighted I did. Its bloody amazing for the money and great for gaming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

1080p on a 49" s-uw will be fairly blocky (If you've seen 27" 1080p it'd be similar) but stepping up to 5120x1440 you're at 90% or so of 4K so it'd push your 2080 pretty hard. It depends on how much you want to future proof your monitor purchase. If it was me, and it was a year ago, I'd go for a 1440p and at worst use upscaling for now if needed until I could get a GPU to game at native res. with decent fps.

Edit:

Another thing to consider is the curve. That ASUS is R1800, so the circle the curve is based on would have a radius of 1.8m . That's pretty decent but there are models with R1000. The difference being your visual distance won't really change as you scan to the edges on an R1000, it will drift a little with R1800 - it's not a showstopping difference imho but it's worth keeping in mind.

Post edited by _CreeD_ on

Advertisement