Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No horse in this race but the referee is extremely one sided. Westport getting a very raw deal.

Ballina getting some very very soft frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Some late drama to Knockmore-Ballintubber game. Odd penalty decision though! Fair play to Knockmore keeper. Great moment for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Some finish to that game, we were sure it was done, then he gave the penalty, which the tubber lads were sure Diarmuid would score. Great moment for Ryan McDonnell, delighted for him.

Poor enough game in the first half. I really don't understand why tubber didnt just keep the ball, why bother trying to score at all when there is a breeze like that, much smarter to just hold onto it. Knockmore had retreated, they would have forced us out the field if the goalie and corner back spent five minutes passing it back and forth.

Our first goal was lovely, such quick hands and a great finish but other than that I thought Tubber were much the better team.

Second half picked up a lot in intensity, the second goal was a killer for them, I'd feel sorry for their goalie, first year senior. We did a great job up to the second water break of just keeping the ball. Got some great scores and just worked very hard. Seemed to tire in the last quarter and tubber nearly did it. They seemed very hesitant to shoot when they were 3/4 points down, it made no sense, there was a gale.

Ref was diabolical, for both sides, gave some awful soft frees. There seemed to be a period of 10 minutes in the second half if you got your hands on the ball from a kick out it was a free. I felt, but this may be biased, that he gave a lot to tubber in the first half but then he let us get away with constantly going down with injuries in the second half, surprised there wasnt 20 minutes of extra time. Gibbons first yellow seemed harsh but the ref was kinda obstructed, his linesman could see it was chest height though and not round the neck, should have said something.

I don't think it influenced any of his decisions but he lives and is married to a ballintubber woman, this shouldn't be happening. Not his fault but the county board shouldn't be appointing him to tubber games.

Thought O'Malley & Plunkett were very good for tubber, especially in the first half. Thought Diarmuid was anonymous until five minutes from time. Gibbons was well contained.

For us it'll be a big lose if Darren McHale and Colm Reape are out for long, massive, hard to see a county title without them.

King, Orme and Naughton were outstanding. Kevin Mc, Dempsey and Pearse Ruttledge all had great second halves, Ruddy had a very good first half, probably wasn't mobile enough for into the wind but Shane McHale was MOTM for me, he ran the show, absolutely unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Breaffy out without a whimper! Shockingly poor game of football and Breaffy went out with the same game plan as usual, run the ball into contact until you're dispossessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Will the manager get the road now though he should have went after the final last yr

Ford was managing last year but I wouldn't be surprised to see McIntyre get the axe for this year. But there's more at fault than just bad management (and it has been bad management).

Looked like ye had it until ROD got the goal. Bit like Mayo ye find a novel way to lose.

Means Belmullet/Knockmore v Westport/CBar or Garrymore

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Just read article by JPK. Just confirms once again how inept a County Board we have. At this point obvious that review of AI campaign, Management of Team, Panel etc will not occur in any useful manner, JH will continue for another losing season with a significant number of serial losers on the panel, a new Chairman will be elected who will maintain or lower standard of Mayo County Board. Everything will be the same next year yet the eternal optimists will believe we will win an AI.

We can still expect that Breaffy and Ballintubber will have more players on Mayo team than Knockmore. Based on what we saw over weekend hard to comprehend the 15 starters we had in Croker in Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

'Serial losers" - at least you're not disguising that you have an agenda and are hostile to practically everyone involved, be they players, management or county board officials.

BTW, we don't have any serial all-ireland winners in the county to call upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

good point. its easy to forget that many of this team have finally won a league all ireland which has evaded us for many years, and similarly, many were part of the 2016 <21 final win over Cork in Ennis.

FWIW I’m as ardent a supporter as there is but I’m not sure there’s anyone from Knockmore who should be starting for Mayo at the moment. Darren against packed defences definitely, really missed him v Tyrone IMO, could have been the difference. Orme will be a starter in another year or so but he was delighted to be in the 26 this year.

I think King, Holmes & Pearse Ruttledge could all make the step up to the panel and hopefully the team eventually. Kevin McL will probably be moved to an impact player next year

You’re using that as an excuse to attack the O’Sheas and O’Connors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

If the Mayo CCC were meeting last night to decide on venues,times and dates they should let the rest of the world know of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mayo man in london

why would you expect the Mayo CCC to be transparent. i want to ask why we are using Bekan to host games and what cut they and John Prenty are taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I presume the Knockmore/Garrymore game will be in either Charlestown or Breaffy (would it have the capacity?) and the Belmullet/Westport game will be in Ballina. Unless they bring the two of them to Bekan for TV reasons

Any word on injuries? The fitness or otherwise of Kevin Keane, Enda Hession and Shane McHale/Cormac Reape could make a big difference to those teams

• Advertisement

Knockmore v Garrymore in Bekan on Saturday @ 1900

Belmullet v Westport in Breaffy on Sunday @ 1430

Seems like Belmullet (and to a lesser extent Knockmore) are getting fucked over there, would have thought Ballina would be closer to halfway for that match

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Final venue announced as Ballina so in theory belmullet could have 50% of their games placed there which could be seen as a disadvantage to the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What are you on about, transparency in this situation? And are you accusing Prenty of corruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It's a long spin and there could have been somewhere "fairer" maybe but didn't Belmullet play their neutral game in Ballina as well? If they win at the weekend then it would be 4 games in a row in Ballina that you're suggesting. That would certainly be seen as a big advantage by most.

Belmullet's remoteness more often than not an advantage if you look at it from the sense that Ballina is always a popular choice.

If we're getting to the level that a 10-15 minute additional journey (Knockmore and Garrymore to Bekan) is an issue then we're in bother.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't have to be played in Ballina, Crossmolina would have been suitable. Could even have been played in Bangor :P

As it stands, it's a 165km round trip for Belmullet supporters vs a 44km round trip for Westport supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Aghleam to McHale park is a 180km round trip! That's just the nature of living somewhere like Belmullet!

Good Ballina getting final as County has become very Castlebar centric. (Although not very fair to Belmullet \ Westport if Knockmore in final). Personally I would like Intercounty Home League games spread around the county like they used to be rather than all being played in Castlebar. It would spread business generated on these weekends around the county to Towns like Ballina & Charlestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Any idea where mayos home league game's will be next year with McHale Park closed till May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ballina I would expect, perhaps Charlestown might get a shout too.

Ballina and Charlestown are way too small to host NFL games, and with H & S these days, Charlestown is hardly fit to host a FBD game

Had forgotten about that, be some scramble for tickets. I wonder what the capacity would be now for Ballina?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

No idea on capacity in ballina.Ahref said in a pod good few weeks ago that they may look at sligo or tuam for home games.

He was saying this evening that Breaffy could be waterlogged and that game moved to Bekan also.

Belmullet will have to overnight it at this rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Belmullet v Westport now in Ballina on Sunday at 2pm.

• Advertisement

Huge risk for him. He will be too old at 22 next season. Will be learning the game in development teams alongside 18 and 19 year olds who have played it their whole lives. There is a fair chance he will be 23/24 at least before he even gets a chance at AFL level if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

He was going to go in autumn 2020 but obviously covid happened.I thought with the delay he might be too old.

I wish him the best of luck and if its want he wants I'm glad covid didn't scupper his plans and he'd always be left wondering.

Its such a massive blow to Mayo,I'm genuinely gutted from a supporters point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

It is what it is unfortunately. Huge loss no doubt but we will cope. Best of luck to Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Even if he doesn't and comes home he will be still miles ahead of what the county can offer him

Balls is right :( Hard to grudge him the opportunity of being a professional sportsman though, good luck Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

He's a huge loss to the game, not just Mayo, anyone who has watched him develop has witnessed some great performances, for me the stand out young defender that could have gone on to eclipse Keegan as a Mayo great. Hopefully he will be back.

• Advertisement

Womens AFL was brand new. All the players were recent amateurs

We dont hear much from the vast majority of players who dont succeed. For every Pearce Hanley there are 10 Cian's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could easily be another Ciarán Kilkenny.

It's a massive upheaval.

I know its a huge negative for Mayo but overall I think it is brilliant for him and other young GAA players to get this opportunity to play professinal sport and experience another culture. Also brilliant for all the Mayo ladies (I think there are six in Australia for this season) who with the expansion of ladies game will have to choose one or the other code. Shortly it will no longer be possible for them to come back for championship as Aussie season will be longer with the increase in number of teams.

As much as it's a huge loss to see him go I think it's a great opportunity for him and he's dead right to go for it.

Hopefully he returns an even better player sometime in the not so distant future.

Predictions for the weekend? I can't see past Knockmore but I expect a tight game in Ballina, I'll go for a Belmullet win there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I wish him all the best and don't blame him one bit for taking this opportunity.

He gets to experience a different country working as a professional sportsman so fair play to him.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

He is a big loss but too big of an opportunity to turn down. Even if it doesn't work out he could come back in 2-3 years as a 25 year old in the prime of his career and peak condition.

Best of luck oisin

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Oisin is a massive loss to Mayo, Cathal Mc Shane's move to Australia two years ago was seen also as a massive loss to Tyrone but the Tyrone County Board or some one on their behalf made an offer to Cathal Mc Shane that he could not refuse and he returned to Tyrone. Tyrone would not have won the All Ireland this year if McShane was still in Australia. Mayo GAA were fore warned that Oisin was interested in going to Australia, what did they do to try and persuade him to stay in the Mayo fold? David Clifford was approached by Australian Teams but Kerry GAA were not going to loose their star player. We lost Pierce Hanley to Australia and it is generally believed if he was available to Mayo over the last number of years we would probably have won the All Ireland (he was a brilliant forward). The question we have to ask here in Mayo is do we really want to win An All Ireland? if we do an offer would have been made to Oisin that he could not refuse. Dublin lost no players to Australia over the last number of years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dublin is practically a professional team and they live in a city its a bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

There's a lot of talk about what kerry did to keep Clifford.

Read the quotes from Clifford, nobody approached him seriously and he didn't have any interest in the game.

Oisin has been tracked from the start and would have gone in autumn 2020,its hardly inside knowledge to say that.

Also,if he wants to go there's nothing the County board could have done to persuade him to stay.Being a professional athlete in sunny Australia for a few years is a tempting prospect for any young lad.McShane went and it didn't really work our for him,he was homesick or whatever,he came back just like 90% of other guys who gave it a go.

I think Oisin well make a big impression in Oz and best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement