Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

We live on the Curragh side of Newbridge and I can get to Aldi Kildare in seven minutes. This will be a great addition to the town but it still might be quicker for me to go to Kildare town than up to this new store especially at peak times.

New restaurant opening soon next door to Luigi Primo. Not a Chinese or Kebab place so that's a bonus!

Ubh has moved into the old Bru House. Only serving takeaway coffee from a hatch when I went by this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I noticed what looks like a new pedestrian crossing with lights going in from the post office to the bank of ireland. anyone else notice that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Can anyone recommend a reliable mechanic in Newbridge/Kildare town/Naas area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

John Murphy on the Rathbride Road (Kildare Town) has always been good. If you google him you will find his number (John Murphy Crash Repairs Kildare).

Planning approved for the old "KEG" pub to be converted into a restaurant spread across 2 floors with a dining area outside. I think it is great that the bottom of the town is getting some life back into it and great to see the keg site getting a make over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

I’d be curious to see if they fixed the flooding issue. The old disco (name escapes me) flooded as it’s below the water line. From what I was told, insurance therefore became an issue for them. Must be some bad smells in there now it’s been abandoned for so long.

Old chartbusters site has a notice on the door for a levy on owners due to it being deemed derelict. A levy on who though, it’s like that since about 2007.

Pharaohs night club! i would imagine it needs a full over haul, which its what it looks like it will get.

strange that a notice appeared on the old chartbusters building has a notice. Planning permission was granted in April 2020 for change of use to a restaurant. That been said the front of the unit looks run down and should be cleaned up

You sure you are not mixing up the application with the one for restaurant in the Arch bar ? Chinese I think.

• Advertisement

or were you talking about chartbusters site?

blue is chartbusters red is the arch bar

planning for chartbusters approved 03/04/2020

Camile has opened just down from Dominos Pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The Pole outside Aldi:

How long will it take for 'them' to move it, or hang the light from the building?

After someone skulls themselves from a bike, scooter, buggy etc? After someone just walks into it as they are glancing into the shop to see whats happening? I'd say there's a serious amount of constructive liability putting that pole where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Is it invisible?

How is it constructive liability unless it is invisible? Surely people should use their eyes when walking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And Lidl are fighting back, I was in there earlier and they were giving all customers a page with four vouchers for 5 euro off a 25 spend. One voucher is valid each week for the next 4 weeks, it starts Monday and runs until December 12th. The vouchers are specific to the Newbridge store only and must be used with the Lidl Plus app

We used to shop in Aldi Kildare and just as the whole covid thing started we dumped them for Lidl due to lack of any covid safety at the time. The meat is far better quality in Lidl, won’t be back to Aldi. Go to Lidl Kildare because traffic in Newbridge is ridiculous and not going to get better.

The Aldi carpark looks to be a through road which is not going to help as it will become a ring around Dunnes road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would agree that Aldis meat isnt as good as it used to be. Their specially selected rib eye steaks (8.99) are pretty decent but when they introduced them the regular priced ones for around a fiver took a dip in quality.

Was thinking that Newbridge will be pretty unique in that you will have Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco all within a 5 minute walk of each other. Im not aware of any other town that has that, normally supermarkets are a drive away from each other

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

(And SuperValu of course!)

It's pretty impressive alright having them all more or less beside each other. Also that they are in the town centre and not on the outskirts is a big plus as many town centres have been ruined by edge of town shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It will not be a through road. Pedestrians can walk through, but not cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maggy2040

Hello,

First, wanted to say thanks for all the comments and information on this thread.

I'm about to reserve for a home in Belin Woods and this helped get a feeling / idea about the area.

With that said, if any advice or hint about Belin Woods or that area in Newbridge in particular, would be very welcome.

Looks good to me, so far.

Cheers

I live very close by in Liffey Hall. It's in a prime location for walking to the town in less than 10 mins and you'll be on the M7 in 5 mins. You can be in Kildare village in about 10 mins. Kilcullen is also about 10 mins away which has some nice spots for lunch etc. Naas is about 15 mins away and will be even quicker when the famous second bridge for newbridge finally gets funding. The train station will be 20+ mins walk.

The traffic can get slightly busy at the athgarvan road around the traffic lights but that will hopefully be alleviated by the planned improvements to the junction associated with your estate. There is also plans for the park to be extended with a nice river walk around Belin woods. I'm living here 7 years and I've never seen any anti social behavior in the local area worth talking about. It's very safe and I wouldn't be worried about walking around day or night. All the major supermarkets are in the town and a new Aldi has just opened in the last two weeks. There are loads of plans for new retail and restaurants etc.

There is plans for a lot of houses. I think that will be a benefit to the town and will help it thrive even more. It might put pressure on school places if that's an issue for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cagefactor

I remember reading long time ago that work was going to start on revamping the nook on station road, seems nothing was done, literally nothing. What's the scoop there ? Another derelict kip now.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Planning was granted in December 2019 and I suppose Covid may have impacted things like financing, cost of construction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know it is Christmas week and bound to be mental but the traffic in Newbridge today was just horrendous. Took me the guts of an hour to get from Horse racing Ireland HQ late morning to the Whitewater car park. Just crawling along. Lights would change, not much would happen. I know it can be bad but usually a few minutes hold up kind of thing. The place wasn’t even especially busy when I got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

This opened this week Best of luck to them. I hope to try it when covid dies down a bit (this wave anyways....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Two easy and quick alternatives -

1 - Take the Curragh road towards Athgarvan, turn left down Green road, right into Liffey Hall/Curragh Grange, take a left opposite the Centra shop and this road bring you to Newbridge silver lights.

2 - If coming from Kildare Town - go via the Curragh Racecourse, turn left at Tri Equestrian and follow this road to the lights at Morristown cross, straight through the lights and you are at Apple Green.

Even at the worst times both of these routes are clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

These are the only routes to take into Newbridge, main road from Brennans Maxol is always jammers. Traffic driving through the town is chronic and always has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Drives me mad. If people learnt how to use Yellow boxes and not block junctions (main street/cutlery road junction is the worst for this) and more people coming through the town south bound allowed people to filter out from the ring road at the dunnes stores junction then the town would flow a lot better.

Advertisement