Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Studies already show that vaccinated people carry the same viral load, and that they are just as likely to infect others in a household setting. The only studies I can find on clearing viral load quicker, are ones re delta which state that after 3 months the chance of infecting others is same as unvaccinated, and nasal viral load declines at same rate after 3 months. So unless we do constant boosters, this effect will be moot in most people.

I am not confusing physical or mutation stability - the spike protein is not 'stable' in either sense. Nearly all the variants of interest/concern involve spike mutations which are plentiful.

Vaccine/immune escape is not an all or nothing - its a scale.

Certain variants have already emerged with partial vaccine immune escape features, Beta last year and A.30 this year both show significant immune escape (particularly so in the latter). To date immune escape variants have been outcompeted by more infectious delta as I said, but they already exist and more will exist in future and could take hold - the flu vaccine/smallpox comparison you made just shows you dont understand immune escape at all. Its not all or nothing and it is not a totally separate virus, just has the necessary amino acid substitutions to make some or all of existing antibodies no longer able to bind to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

No I don't because that poster isn't using their speculation to fuel a campaign of politicised blame and pressure against a sub-group of the populace. It's you and astrocruel who make assumptions, present those assumptions as fact and then try to use that as a political stick to beat others with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NPHET are saying it will peak at the end of the month.

So we've been averaging around 2000 cases a day over the last month. It will probably be around an average of 4000 a day until the peak of November and the slowdown of about 2000 a day for December.

Probably about 250k cases by the end of December. That's your "pandemic of the unvaccinated" over and done with 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

At this stage I think they should get the thesaurus out and look for an alternative to "concerning"

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

No this does not happen. People arent in hospital unless there's an acute medical need for them to be in hospital.

I tested positive and my wife is immunosuppressed and with a young child I cant self isolate but that hasnt impacted on how my wife is treated for contact tracing or medical management point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

You're thinking of someone on chemotherapy where their neutrophil count (type of bacteria that fight infection) is low and suppressed and they're very prone to getting sepsis. Immunosuppression is for the management of multiple conditions e.g. Rheumatoid Arthritis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease etc where their immune systems are only dampened down for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I thought it was due to peak in the middle of November,now they are saying the end of November?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It just means things are fine but could be better. As long as we don't get an "extremely alarming" it's all good. Widening of the booster programme this month should "blunt" hospital numbers more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd say it's more likely to peak at about 5,000 daily cases, 600 in hospital and maybe 130 in ICU, we're already seeing a leveling off of hospital and ICU cases, last week there was 20-30 being added on average every day, recently it's been about 10-15...

The vaccine booster program will probably help as well, over 60s and healthcare workers are starting this week so by the last week of November a change should be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It`s the unvaccinated in beds that is the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The poster was speculating on a sub group of a sub group of the population. Those immunosuppressed that cannot avail of the vaccines, as the problem. I don`t know who this "astrocruel" poster is, but I was not speculating. We know that 8% of the population is unvaccinated and from the data available we know that 8% is disproportionally represented in hospitalisations and ICU. So unless you are saying that this is mainly because of the small numbers of those immunosuppressed unable to avail of a vaccine, then I do not see what point you are attempting to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

That's what i thought. Didn't they change the name not to offend India or did i dream that?

Every VOC originally got labelled with where it came from and there is a stigma with that, never mind an encouragement to certain sectors of society to target people of foreign origin. The use of letters also makes it easier than the likes of B.1.117 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

At the start of September one said mid September, another said end of September and MM said " it could last till mid October "

They are bound to get it right at some point if they keep guessing enough.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe they just don't know or maybe it's just too difficult to model accurately... If you've run your own models I'm sure many on here would love to hear the results

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Posting a chart containing only the data that support their narrative, to impress the audience and give an illusion of apparent knowledge of the subject, is a typical attitude of politicians and crooked salesman. I could add India, the cradle of delta, to those chart and demonstrate that yes a bit of jabbing doesn't make any difference. Actually let's post it just for fun:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Go and read those studies again so, they were purely looking at what the peak viral loads were, the vaccinated were both less likely to be infected in the first place and cleared the viral load faster. The infection rate across unvaccinated is much higher than the vaccinated, the hospital admissions of the unvaccinated is 12x that of vaccinated.

Physical and mutation stability are 2 completely different things so not sure why you'd mention physical stability at all but OK if you don't want to admit you misunderstood. The alpha vaccines remain highly effective against delta an all variants of concern, again, the reason the spike was chosen was because of it's stability and it being integral to how SARS-COV2 attacks cells. Luckily, with mRNA vaccines, the turnaround to creating a new vaccine if a spike mutation occurs that allows escape is very low, so even in the unlikely event that a variant completely evades the existing vaccines, an updated vaccine would be available soon. And again, it's not expected that we'll see variant escape due to how integral the spike protein is for SARS-COV2. The main issue we have is the dropping of antibodies against coronavirus (which is a function of the human immune system not vaccines), luckily T-Cell/B-Cell response remains robust, but adds latency to the immune response (much faster than the unvaccinated though).

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Since the Oct 22nd 'freedom day' was pushed down the line the other week, have we any idea when the next update re: restrictions easing will arrive?

Have the government / NPHET announced a review date or 'roadmap' anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was going to ask something similar

So NPHET could recommend a kickdown at any time

Bit of a stretch to say it was "pushed down the line" other than the retention of the vaccine certs in hospitality it's more-or-less come true

Regarding the next review date, the covid pass legislation expires on the 9th of January and renewing it will take primary legislation.

Assuming the Dáil takes a 4 week break for Christmas again and the 9th of January falls during that break they would need to have the legislation passed by the last sitting day before Christmas which would be the 9th or the 16th of December

Assuming they take 3 weeks for primary legislation to go from first stage to final stage we should know more before the end of the month

Stuff been cancelled in Waterford

Dungarvan Panto cancelled because of the current covid situation

You'd swear Tony is now emailing places individually to express his concern and to cancel things (obviously not true but would it surprise ya)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't think renewing it for another month would need primary legislation. Pretty sure it could be renewed under the ministers powers under the emergency health legislation which has a 9th February sunset clause. Renewing the ministers powers will need primary legislation if they take that route but I'd be pretty sure they could do a 9th January to 9th February extension under the health act.

Renewing past 9th Feb is where it gets muddy when the primary legislation is due to lapse.

Could be a busy few weeks after the Christmas break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I hope the 0.3% unvaccinated lunatics are happy.

More to do with what NPHET have done for society here. Long drawn out covid restrictions with constant negativity and scare tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Only true lunatics would believe that. But that isn't to say that those in NPHET weren't well aware that cases would rise coming into the winter.

Essentially you had them out of nowhere saying "our work here is nearly done...we will just give it a couple of months" meanwhile those couple of months landed squarely at the start of flu season.

Be under no illusion that people are drawn to positions that given them social influence and our medical professionals are not immune to this. Its a tale as old as time.

Look at how many people will act like gobshites just to be on TV talent shows. No imagine the entire country is hanging on your every word.

Not saying they are even doing this consciously but their timing is impeccable for gaining the publics trust in there continued presence.

As well as MM who wouldn't cross the road without looking at NPHET for reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Their "models" that were surprised when numbers went up in October..

• Advertisement

Actually only daily cases are in their range for now - 2,500-3,500, ICU was predicted at 100-150 and hospitals in the region of 700-800. The one positive thing about those final two is just how hard it is predict them from case numbers and that vaccinations have done their job.

Advertisement