Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If he wasn't going to do the work, he shouldn't have run. But of course it always comes down to material gain. Snouts in the trough.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

He destroyed the system from the inside; exactly what the SNP are trying to do in the HoC; and what Catalan separatists do in Madrid.

This form of politics isn't uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Farage is gas though. Brexit was the solution to all of Britain's problems. Now it's gone through and things are even worse, and all he can do is continue to moan about stuff. It is quite remarkable that some people are still buying what he is selling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nah, he's just another greedy little parasite. He destroyed nothing. The EU's still going while Farage is selling clips lauding terrorist organisations on Cameo.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

So weird to claim that using "damn" + noun in a sentence is neutral. Using damn to describe something is universally showing dislike and disrespect to that thing. If he said "damn blacks" then it clearly means he doesn't like or respect them....an entire race of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nice to see Farage once again making sure he has guests who have a wide array of different views.

Old white guy who is a conservative MP

White old guy who is a conservative MP

Old white guy who votes conservative

White old guy who votes conservative

Old white guy who has made racist remarks

Old white guy who has made racist remarks but is also a conservative MP

Anne Widdecombe

Pulling guests from the whole range of the 'only people who would ever be seen dead on Nigel Farage's show' spectrum

For the sake of balance, here are 7 additional guests that also appeared on Talking Pints that you could have (but chose not to) add:

• Former black Conservative London mayor candidate, Shaun Bailey.
    • Indian cricketer, Monty Panesar.
    • Black conservative commentator, Candace Owens.
    • Indian chef, Cyrus Todiwala.
    • Jackson Five star, Tito Jackson.
    • Pakistani clergyman, Michael Nazir-Ali.
    • Director of the Oxford Institute of British Islam, Dr Taj Hargey.

I'd hardly call that balance based on the number of episodes and guests there have been.

I mean, if you type your posts on your phone, I can only imagine after typing "Tonight's guest on Farage is" the predictive text just says "Conservative MP"

Farage is a politics show. It's unsurprising that conservative figures and/or MPs appear on the program.

• Advertisement

Yes, and it's great that he can get such esteemed political analysts as Tito Jackson and Bobby George.

I agree, but what Farage tries to do with the show, I've noticed, is to attach himself to cultural conservatism, too - aspects of British culture that should be celebrated and promoted etc.

Not just him actually, but GB News programming generally.

And yet an awful lot of those guests have made comments deemed by many to be racist.

"Cultural conservatism" indeed.

"Deemed by some", is far more accurate.

Anyone can throw around accusations and labels etc., it doesn't make the accusations true.

I could equally argue that those guests on GB News are "deemed by many" not to be racist. It doesn't really add any value, does it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just to remind everyone..

No one is watching GB News

Another week and another decline in viewing numbers - lost ~50k in one week from a rolling 4 week average.. not good.

Any before we get the "But YouTube!!" response - That's not great either.

60% decline in subscriber growth in the last 30 days leaving them as the 3,276th most popular Youtube channel in the UK

For Twitter , they have the 1,629,361th most popular handle in the UK - For reference , BBC News is 5330th and Sky News is 4904th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i suppose you could argue that but not equally. One side is using the persons own words and action to define them as racist. You are saying they aren't just because they appeared on Farage's show.

@Quin_Dub argues that nobody is watching GB News. Nobody, not one person.

Proceeds to review the source link provided, learns that GB News has hoovered up 1.8 million views.

That's the strangest definition of "nobody" I have ever come across in my life.

(...and this is 1.8 million TV views; we haven't even included social media views and YouTube Live views over the course of the same month).

I see that someone is resorting to silly strawmen. "Nobody" in this context is clearly a relative term, not an absolute one.

I've yet to see any sort of explanation from the GB News fanatics why, relatively speaking, nobody is watching it.

• Advertisement

I've given the TV statistics above, which exclude their relatively extensive social media views.

Whatever you might say about that combined number, it is not nothing - not relatively nothing and not absolute nothing.

Their TikTok presence, too, is far more extensive than you might think. To back that up with evidence:

Patrick Christys has really stepped up to the role of TV presenter since joining GB News.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh so we're not so desperate for GB News to be considered a Big Successful Boy, we're intentionally misunderstanding the concept of a euphemism now? (alongside the usual wilful ignorance of stats?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Shaun Bailey is a former mayoral candidate. Not a former black conservative candidate. He is to be clear, still Black and still Tory 😉

As far as I am aware, of all the types of trans you get so jittery about? Transitioning from Black to anything else? Is something that not even MJ managed so rather than he being former those descriptors you used?

Monty Panesar is an English cricketer, born in Luton. His being brown, or of Indian parentage is probably what you were aiming for in your tokenism?

Candace Owens is American. Unless you are implying that as she is Black? It's the same as all the other blacks? Even the former black Shaun Bailey?

And, as has been pointed out, social media views are worthless. You'll need to provide better evidence than that.

What does this post even mean? It's like you're trying to attach your own meaning to words while (perhaps unintentionally?) being dismissive of others who hold opposite viewpoints.

Celebrating British culture does not make you culturally conservative, nor is cultural conservatism a sign that someone is a right winger. The whole point of CC is to preserve your culture (not celebrate or promote it). You can promote aspects of your culture while still being a filthy liberal, you know? Similarly, you can be proud to be British while not being an out and out racist, like some of the pond scum he has on the show.

Farage isn't attaching himself to CC.....he tries to attach himself to whatever populist issue he thinks will improve his lot. He's a one trick pony with a slick tongue who got famous off the back of populist nonsense that he himself doesn't even subscribe to. So he kept doing the same thing. Even now, he's like a dog chasing a car who's finally caught up with it....he doesn't know what to do with himself because he never thought he'd get this far, so has turned into a broken record, a caricature of himself.

He broke his bollocks on the Brexit campaign; lying, cheating and manipulating gullible idiots into voting for a fox in the henhouse. All that blood, sweat and tears to get it over the line and then what did he do almost instantaneously? Jumped ship like the proverbial rat that he is, claiming it was because UKIP were too anti-muslim.

He doesn't care about the poor or the downtrodden or the common British person on the street. He only cares about numero uno and would use anything as a tool to further his own cause. The facade of him drinking pints on his show (like the great unwashed in their shanties) is the perfect metaphor for how false and surface-level his faux concern is. He doesn't give a fcuk about any of them. Hell, he probably doesn't really give a fcuk about the Germans, French fishing rights or EU economic migrants either. It's probably all just a tool which he can use to improve his own stock in life.

A despicable, hateful human being and the fact that there are Irish people on here, regularly sucking his flute is disgraceful.

That poster kept referring to "white" old guests on GB News Farage show. I was merely providing some semblance of balance, as it seems he intentionally ignored the black guests to make a totally unfounded and disingenuous racial dig about Farage.

• Advertisement

Why are social media and YouTube views etc. "worthless" for a TV channel?

Are BBC social media posts "worthless"? Are they simply wasting their time sharing these posts?

Are GMB wasting their time growing their YouTube and social media platforms?

Sounds like dismissive nonsense to me, but I'm open-minded as to why you dismiss an important chunk of the viewing market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because they contribute not one red cent (or Glorious Sterling Penny, if we must) to the costs of running a broadcaster. Costs are something GBNews has a lot of, income is something they don't - virtually no advertisers.

TV ad sales are made on BARB viewership figures - and very occasionally, commission deals but these are for the lowest quality/lowest audience channels possible - not social media reach.

BARB figures are collated to the highest practical statistical accuracy. Social media viewing figures can be made up out of thin air by paying for a botfarm. Nobody trusts them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭banie01

But what you did was display your own ignorance and race to label people according to your prejudice.

Also, what's a former black conservative? When does an English cricketer become English? Rather than their skin colour? Apart from skin tone? What commonality does American Candace Owens have with the rest of your examples?

Perhaps you have heard of "tokenism" if not? Have a read

Can you explain how the strategies outlined in the article, are not exactly what GBnews is at with its framing of people of colour and minorities?

I didn't ignore, I was pointing out that the vast majority of Farage's guests come from a very small pool of people with generally similar views.

You seem to have a problem differentiating between absolute ststaments and relative statements, as QD posted above. Of course, this seems to be selective, given how you can easily do so when it comes to offensive statements by GB News contributors, or selective use of numbers when trying to claim how great GB News' viewing or social media numbers are.

You are using a different value system to me, then.

It may well be true that social media does not earn TV channels a red cent. I'm willing to grant that, though I'm of the opinion that social media is an enormously powerful tool to facilitate growth for a TV channel - reaching out to a much wider audience. That may not be direct financial value, but it is indirect value nonetheless for any business. Otherwise, there would be no purpose whatsoever for businesses to establish a solid and growing social media presence.

And to that extent, yes, GB News is reaching out to much more than 1.8 million TV views. When you chuck in social media views and YouTube views and so on, that value mushrooms to perhaps 3-4 million views per month across all platforms.

Now you can dispute the financial value of these views and so on, but they do exist.

• Advertisement

1.8M views over 4 weeks. so that is about 60K a day? and most of those seem to be watching farage's show so that leaves an audience of practically zero for the rest of their shows. how is that impressive?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Hoovered up" ??

That figure is a rolling cumulative average for the last 4 weeks - It does not tell a story of "Hoovering"

This is their performance since the beginning of July , with a trendline out to the end of the year.

Tell me , do you see a pattern or trend there in terms of the number of views gained each week?

Does this tell the story of a successful business , hoovering up viewers??

At their current run rate , by the end of the year they will have lost 87% of their "views" in just 6 months. They've already lost almost 50%.

From a high point of ~3.7M views in July to a year end exit of ~500k is nothing like success.

It's an absolutely epic failure of monumental proportions and no amount of spin and cheerleading can alter that fact.

To put this in context, Sky News - over the same period - harvested 7.5 million TV views.

That means GB News is currently attracting 25% of the figure that Sky News attracts.

For a channel only a couple of months old, that's not bad. When you throw in millions of social media views each month, we see that the situation for GB News is not as dire as is made out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the social media viewership is driving TV viewership, why is the TV viewership circling the drain then?

TV views are the only thing that earns them anything. And they're falling, despite relaunches and tweaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but if Eskimo just needs to keep this thread trending long enough for the silent majority to awake from it's slumber and come validate his genius and follow GBNews into the glorious Albion forged by Brexit and the opinions of some old darts fella

That slope is misleading - because the early phase of GB News launch / plus Farage's announcement in July, is always going to artificially elevated the figures.

That principle applies to any new TV channel. Curiosity is piqued at the outset launch etc. and then the dust settles - as the graph shows.

What tangible worth do they add? Be specific, please.

BBC News isn't a fair comparison. People watch BBC News.

We see that the situation for GB News is not as dire as is made out here

No - It absolutely categorically is.

Sky News is pretty stable at that level sitting in and around 7.5M views per 4 weeks , similarly BBC News sits around the 11.5M views, again pretty stable.

GBNews has not managed to show one iota of growth (or even stability) since it's launch - It has been downhill each and every week since the day they went live.

No one expects a new channel to take the lead over an incumbent right from the off , but what you should see from them is growth and momentum.

There is absolutely none of that with GB News.

We got an initial "Hey, what's this all about then?" high point of views followed by a steady continuous decline where each and every week about 5% of people that viewed the channel the previous week simply stop doing so ever again.

To coin a phrase , it is a dead TV channel walking.

Farage joined in late July. Allowing a 4-week bump to "let the dust settle", the figures are still sloping downwards.

how can a reduction of 50% since July be described as "not bad"?

• Advertisement

He's a glass half full kinda guy 🤷‍♂️🤣

I mean, if your social media is doing better than your broadcast TV why do the latter? Surely it couldn't be because bots are inflating the figures.

Ah stop, he's still banging on about "online viewers" weekend after it's been explained to him many times that these numbers mean nothing 🤣

Just on that - The GB News numbers bumped up about 30% when Farage joined - Going from ~2.8M up to the ~3.6M for his 1st week or two on air.

They are now at ~1.8M ,so he has had a net negative impact to the overall viewing numbers - Well actually , he might have slowed the rate of decline but that is nearly impossible to tell for sure

All we do know is that they were declining before he joined , they then blipped up for a few weeks and then the decline continued apace.

Mad that the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit and the 14 million who voted Tory in 2019 have no interest in their own bespoke anti-woke echo chamber.

Could that be because they are already more than ably served by the rest of the UK Media landscape?

And with better Guests and production values to boot.

So what are you gonna say when they're down to 1.4 million in a few weeks? You're claiming indirect value from their social media but that should reflect in some increase in viewers....

That's what I thought but I was wondering what common sense conservatives thought.

Far from it.

Only 12% of Britons consider themselves to be woke or sympathetic to it.

Interesting to see that Labour voters are similarly not enamoured to the ideology; with only 42pc believing it to be a good thing.

The audience for Brexit, controlled migration, anti-woke, pro-women etc. is enormous.

The existence of GB News does not nullify these statistics.

At best, it simply means that GB News needs to up their game and do a better job.

• Advertisement

that massive potential audience just makes the GBnews viewing figures look even worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement