Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No, they report on it but it's at the bottom of an article whereas when it's negative, it's the headline you see when you go on to the site first. There's a clear difference in how they're reporting on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

You make very valid and strong points with the public health systems. It's scandalous how you have to wait on results for 24 to 48 hours. There should be a quicker turn around time.

The faults can't all be layed squarely at the governments door. Everyone has a part to play in this pandemic. I from my own personal research online there's a crossover of symptoms between colds and the delta variant of covid. There's many people walking around with symptoms of cold and cough and self diagnosing colds and not covid without testing to establish if its covid or not. I know every situation is different. Take for example a family with young children in school where the children might come down with symptoms and they get tested and results come back negative. A parent might be inclined to presume its the same dose and not get tested. I know people working in hospitality and customer service roles and many are coming down with symptoms but diagnosing as colds and not going for tests to rule out covid. The population has a responsibility here too in that if you have symptoms - restrict your movements, keep contacts low and test.

This very morning, "saving Christmas" has crept into the narrative. These insidious tactics are designed to prime the impressionable public into acceptance of further restrictions. Tantamount to pure manipulation, the Indo has defaced itself during the pandemic with irresponsible, gutter journalism. Toilet rag exhibit A:

https://m.independent.ie/news/explainer-how-the-fast-roll-out-of-booster-shots-could-be-key-to-saving-christmas-41007702.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We are caught between two stools at the moment. One the one hand we are "opening" up society yet on the other we are still beholden to having a PCR to access basic amenities like a doctor or schools for children with typical winter symptoms. Antigen test are the only game in town as far as I'm concerned for a really quick turnaround time that allows children and adults access basic health care in a timely manner. This craic of waiting nearly 48 hours for a result is bloody stupid and the HSE/NPHET need to pull their fingers put here and get with a model that actually works for everyone. It's not like we are looking to catch every COVID case now to drive numbers down so why antigen test use isn't wide spread is a scandal.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The Irish could only dream of that level of freedom.

We closed everything for 6 months and imprisoned people within 5km of their homes. No need for curfews when nothing is open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Now we seem to be back to 2020 all over again on the testing! It has ranged from about 12 hours to 48 hours and as we know higher numbers testing means the time frames may end up closer to the outside limit. We also know some of these swabs end up in Germany to be analyzed at current levels. That in itself is a delay. As Reid and others have observed we can't just keep expanding a testing system to satisfy all the cases. 

As for the frustration levels for some people if they’ve gone to the trouble of getting a test It's also best to adopt the advice around what you need to do if you’re positive. 

If you need a PCR to see a doctor then you need to change doctors.

Why isolate for 48hours when an antigen test will give you a result in 10 minutes? If you have symptoms take a quick test, if positive book in for a PCR, if not lay low till the cold passes in a day or two. Not everyone can just take time off at the drop of a hat for no good reason.

We seriously need to move away from PCR tests for every funny nose in the country. It's a daft policy that costs an awful lot of money for very little gain right now. The link between cases and hospitalisation is at a point now as toake it completely pointless to continue with this drive for so many PCR tests.

The classic respiratory viruses are all back doing the rounds again. Particularly Rhino/Enterovirus, RSV and some Paraflu too. They can have symptoms pretty similar to Covid so anyone who tests negative likely has one (or more) of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

My issue with the over the counter tests is how many people will be able to do the testing on themselves correctly? I bought one that said I had to put it 3cm up my nostril and swab around for at least 5 seconds, that's really uncomfortable to do to oneself tbh, I don't see many doing it correctly.

Maybe the advice around those who test positive needs to change now that so many are vaccinated. 10 days isolation seems overkill when the vaccines appear to significantly reduce the period you are transmissible.

Beat of luck trying to find a new doctors surgery to transfer to in my area. 3 year old had a sore throat for a couple of days, 2 negative rapid tests and they still wanted a PCR before seeing him. Thankfully the D doc accepted the rapid tests and he was seen to. Turns out he had inflamed tonsils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

If people who have Covid but only mild symptoms are assuming they only have the common cold then doesn't that prove that, the more contagious coronavirus becomes, strain by strain, the less likely it is to cause serious Covid?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This is absolutely true.I have young kids, I have done PCRs, antigens, got myself tested, all as needed.

My problem is the constant narrative has been "this is all on the public". This is not going away, it is here to stay.So the narrative does need to push more to the Government's side. Yes the public must keep doing what they have been doing, but the Government/HSE need to stop firefighting and view this as the long term issue that it is, and put proper systems in place, instead of casting around and firefighting all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Father in law has covid. Mild symptoms. He would have been due booster shortly as immunocompromised. Fingers crossed it stays mild. OH not official close contact but has symptoms. Took antigen test Sunday that was negative. Going for pcr today.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Ultimately people need to stop going for tests unless required. It merely feeds the frenzy. I know vaccinated people who didn't need to go for a test, no symptoms, positive result, business closed. Test was not required.

The media hype the last few weeks is driving this. Hopefully the climate thing will keep covid out of the shop window for this week.

Then some other major world event / crisis next week and the frenzy stops again, for good hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Has anyone had any experience with the HSE antigen tests? Trust us to over complicate things and add a few extra layers of admin to testing people.

My understanding of a possible timeline is: Person gets COVID test, waits min 24hrs, positive. How long after positive test do contact tracers contact them? They then post out some antigen tests for close contacts (+1 day at least).

How on earth do the people in charge think this is an efficient and quick way of screening possible infected people? Even with the quickest turnaround you're probably looking at 3 days before antigen tests arrive? Surely an easier system would be to follow UK and make these tests available to everyone for free/cheap. Even if not would it not make sense to hand the person going for the PCR test a box of antigen tests at the testing centre and explain to use them on household if the test comes back positive? At least that would trap a few cases quickly.

Cold symptoms can include:

blocked or runny nose

sore throat

headaches

muscle aches

coughs

sneezing

a raised temperature

pressure in your ears and face

loss of taste and smell

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

This is god damn dangerous advice to peddle and I hope nobody listens to it. Its absolutely irresponsible.

Covid is appearing differently in everyone from mild-ish cold symptoms to illness and flu type symptoms and sickness. There's also risk of spread to other people more vulnerable. Case numbers also need to be monitored for hospitals and admissions.

If you have symptoms, reduce contacts, isolate and test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dr Barry is a virologist who lectures at the School of Veterinary Medicine at UCD.

I'm sure he knows 1,000 times more than any of us on the topic, but the media need to stop wheeling in random doctors for their opinion when we see that people start repeating it as fact.

I'm guessing Dr. Barry is related to someone in media or PR, because I cannot think of any other way that a lecturer in vet medicine could end up on the airwaves giving his opinions on a pandemic numerous times over the last two years.

But is there anyone out there who doesnt believe that the long term strategy will in fact be annual boosters for everyone? It’s just the logical long term outcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I think it will be annual jabs for over 60s and anti-viral meds for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

News at one on about boosters for all now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I cannot understand why anyone would wait for contact tracers. If you know somebody has been in close contact with you and they are positive, just go look after your own test. My OH got tested yesterday after being named as a close contact by family over the weekend. His result came through today. Not a peep out of the contact tracing people yet, but at least we know he is negative now.

There are a million ways we could make this cheaper/more efficient but we just don't seem to think about that.

Our health system needs us all to have boosters.

Basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That is unknown is the best answer to this. We give flu shots to quite few annually, primarily aimed at specific groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

what are they hoping to achieve with boosters for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Which means the covid passes are here for at least next year, they’ll need significant coercion measures to force the boosters

Better results for bill gates and his sinister plans for humanity 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can someone explain why we're even hesitating for boosters? Surely we should be pumping them out to everyone who got their 2nd vaccine 6 months ago? Seems a no brainer and yet we're hesitating on it whilst going into winter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1455544987295301641

2706 positive swabs, 13.49% positivity on 20,052 tests.

7 day test positivity is 12.3%.

- Tuesday, November 2nd 2021

Advertisement