Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

virtue signalling won’t solve the climate crisis. If the only way that they all could physically get together was by space shuttle it would still be necessary. Like it or not, these people are the ones making the decisions….and if being in the same room makes those decisions more likely to be the right ones, then it’s worth the CO2 emissions to get there

All those here pointing at the modes of transport of the COP attendees are doing nothing more than looking for excuses to let themselves off the hook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was referring to the clebs. Like it or not what they think, they don't make the decision.

Edit. Predicted texting is brutal.

I agree about the celebs. They can all FRO. Social media ‘influencers’ too, who exists in the most part to do nothing but drive consumerism and consumption. Waste of space, the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes I can understand governments and scientists meeting together. They can discuss other issues as well. At night they can dance on Coldplay dance floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

10%??? It's mickey mouse stuff like that that won't save the human race. NO child welfare after 2 kids full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wouldn't be looking at mega rich celebs for inspiration or example when it comes to the climate and biodiversity crisis.

Also, not having as many babies would be great yes, but that wouldn't let us off the hook. If we halved the world population and carried on consuming as we are we'd be f*cked anyway, it would just take a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is no such thing as a completely reliable energy source. During the 'Beast from the East' the grid would have failed as these 'reliable' power plants went offline, and if it wasn't for the wind power generated there would have been blackouts

Nuclear power plants need to be taken offline for maintenance so do Oil and Gas, Nuclear power is dependent on fuel from volatile parts of the world, so are oil and gas. In Texas last winter, Nuclear power plants shut down due to excessive cold that caused their water supply to freeze, Oil and Gas plants also shut down, and the renewable power system were operating below capacity due to ice and snow, as well as the lack of interconnectivity that caused the grid to fail.

What we need to do is construct a modern energy infrastructure and build in safeguards to trade power when there are local shortages. The grid needs to be modernised anyway, we might as well do it properly and use primarily renewable energy, with storage and interconnections to balance our our supply when we have excess or deficit in local power generation

Right now we waste a lot of the renewable energy capacity as the turbines shut down when we don't need them, while gas and oil are kept running because it takes them longer to 'spool up' Its the opposite of what we should be doing. But transitioning takes investment, and expertise and engineering know how. Getting it right will serve future generations with cheap reliable abundant energy. Getting it wrong or failing to modernise at all will lead to the worst of all worlds.

Article in the telegraph today: Ursual von der Leyen used private jet to travel 31 miles

Surely it would be quicker to drive anyway outside of all the bad optics she is presenting, although maybe she just doesn't care :)

Nuclear is not a good fit for Ireland, We're simply too small for the current generation of reactors, and it is not economically viable for us to re-process or store our own nuclear waste or transport it safely to a foreign reprocessing center

Nuclear powerplants need to be taken down for maintenance, what would we do then, buy all of our power from abroad? that would require many more interconnectors than we already have, plus if we're doing that, why not just buy nuclear from a bigger market that can run it more efficiently.

Ireland has a really good wind power resource that could enable us to become net energy exporters and really benefit from the green energy revolution. Irish people being opposed to renewable energy are nothing but useful idiots of the oil and gas industry. You're just repeating the lies and propaganda that has been pushed down your throat for decades.

Australia have shown how to handle abundant renewable energy. Southern Australia capable of being 100% wind and solar powered and has now the 2nd cheapest and most reliable energy in the continent, with costs per KWh continuing to fall as the infrastructure comes on line. so much so that they are wondering what to do with all the excess power they can generate. They're re-greening the desert by desalinating water, and are planning on exporting hydrogen made from solar power and sea water which will really help with our transition to 21st century energy systems.

so are you in agreement that everyone needs to fly less and use less fossil fuels then?

• Advertisement

The person advocating increasing taxes and reducing welfare for couples who have more than 1 child is not a green activist, they are almost certainly making these points in an entirely disingenuous way because they are 'economic libertarians' who want maximal benefit from their own life choices, while minimal benefit to anyone who is in any way not them

Western populations are declining in general btw, and 'developing countries' populations are still increasing. Not because they're dole spongers, but because of a whole host of reasons relating to lack of education, opportunity, healthcare, womens rights etc etc.

If these fake greens actually cared about population growth, then they would be screaming about reversing cuts to development aid, and calling for 'the west' to make much more efforts to improve the educational and economic opportunities for women and girls in these countries.

Uranium comes from

Lots of those places are volatile, If there was a global squeeze in supply, Ireland would be just as vulnerable as if OPEC decided to shut off oil production, or Russia closed the gas pipeline.

That's all I was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That too, but your income goes down by 10% after 1 kid. Basically like the carbon tax. The more you use the more you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

With two very recent Amber power warnings, something does need to be done, sooner rather than later. A long-term approach always seems to allude.

Lack of real long-term investment over so many years in large infrastructure is already causing issues and will continue.

This is not the solution

Instead of punishing the young people who want to start a small family, we have billionaires controlling the vast majority of economic activity on this planet who are capable of making choices that will make a very real difference to global carbon emissions. These people need to be targetted and the only way we have of doing this, is to get our politicians to pass regulations that hugely punish them for the pollution caused by their economic activity. If Jeff Bezos had to pay for the environmental cost of his business, he would change a lot of his business practises, and stop promoting useless tat on Amazon that is profitable now only because the cost of production is dumped into the air and water

It has to be global transnational activity, because if only one company or government acts, then they'll just be forced out of the market and others will fill the gap with just as polluting activities.

If everyone in the 'west' was forced to have 1 child, but still had massive disposable incomes and nothing was done to stop wasteful production and industry from polluting the air sea and land, then parents would just take the income they would have spent on their 2nd child, and buy more sh1t and take more flights, and build bigger more wasteful houses etc

The most wasteful people per capita, are the people to whom money is not an object. If you're a poor struggling family with 10 kids, you're going to use less carbon resources than the millionaires with 1 or zero kids, who go on ski trips and cruises, weekend breaks and have holiday homes, multiple cars per person on the driveway etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Not disputing what you say, but there is a much simpler "I'm alright Jack" reason for not having "nuclear " power here. If "something" happened here, we couldn't get far enough away from the danger zone.

I believe that the Chernobyl safe zone was 20km radius. No idea how safe that worked out to be. But eg from Athlone, you are talking roughly a circle encompassing Roscommon Town, Longford Town, Mullingar, Tullamore and Ballinasloe. It would be a significant amount of the country to shut off. And how many in this country would volunteer to live that close?

Amber, confusingly, is actually the lowest level of alert that EirGrid use. So lets not get panicked into thinking the whole grid is about to collapse

Something is being done, just not fast enough

We need multiple more of these interconnectors, as well as offshore wind, storage, and we need to fast track them through planning because at the moment every nimby with a country estate is objecting to every single pylon at every stage of the planning process.

This is the solution, not more oil, turf, oil and gas indefinitely until half the country is made up of drumlins cut off by the rising seas

I am. I already do more than my fair share. I've even switched from car to bike for as many work journeys as I can. I pay tens of thousands in tax every year and I rarely if ever fly anywhere. Going to be very hard to get buy in from most when European leaders are seen flying in private jets for 31 mile trips while they continue to lecture the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Exactly if you do the lecturing you must expect blowback when you are been a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If the ESB hadn't acted the hard man and put that poor old woman in jail over her trees

ESB are unbelievably untidy, rip the shyte out of anywhere they are putting up poles or pylons, lot of bad blood from years ago when they stuck the poles in the middle of fields instead of close to the verge. Need proper sanctions on poor practices by these companies, throw a couple of the executives in jail every time there's a landslide ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The burning straw on the news was some laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Nonsense, wind power was available initially as the weather front moved across the country but disappeared quickly (admittedly some was disconnected because the frequency went too high after the east west interconnector tripped).

But after March 1st, we were reliant on gas turbines, peat, coal and oil. Yes, they all suffered on reduced output due to ambient conditions but were far more reliable than wind. Heck, the SNSP was only 60% back then and the RES-E contribution was nowhere near it.

But if you check my comments, I never claimed that there was any completely reliable power source, just that I'd take a dependable one over hot/cold air any day. You were the one who brought up the word "reliable".

The Texas problem is completely separate. They cut corners and refused to weatherise their plant. All the neighbouring states had no issues because they followed common sense / best practice to mitigate this risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

There's no recent "Amber" alerts. That term was phased out over a year ago to match European terminology. Anyone who uses it just demonstrates how little they understand the problem because they have been informed by a clueless media. Read the information for yourself. Eirgrid and CRU publish lots of really interesting stuff. I googled "Eirgrid system defence plan" and learned loads.

Power System Alerts can be for a variety of reasons, anything from phones not working to weather to insufficient reserve or margins.

The only time to worry is when the system moves to "Emergency state" because that implies reasons like load shedding has happened or could happen in the next 4 hours, that Eirgrid have no visibility of the system or someone has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

We are Pi$$ing against the wind if the countries most responsible for Methane emissions don't bother to even turn up to the COP26.

Thats a false dichotomy.

Nothing will be achieved by sinking tens of billions of euros and decades of our time into building infrastructure that does not suit our economy

Ireland should produce offshore wind and sell it to the EU, and then import Nuclear power from the EU when we need backup.

A typical nuclear plant will power about a million households. Ireland has about 2 million households. A single nuclear powerplant is too much of a proportion of our overall energy requirement that it would represent a massive risk if something were to cause a Nuclear power plant to unexpectedly go down. In bigger countries, the risk is distributed more widely, so they can afford to lose a plant or two and not become an instant crisis

Power stations do go out of service multiple times a year, sometimes planned maintenance, other times critical failures that cause the plant to shut down.

You really need to take this seriously instead of just throwing out the deliberately trolling nonsense from people who are clearly not environmentalists, and are just doing their best to muddy the argument so people just get sick of the topic and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So long as that wind is pushing a turbine the loons will be happy. The gobshites in government cant solve the problems that they actually have control over but the eco loons want them to solve problems that they have no control over.

The usual moronic answer you get here and on the journal is - build nuclear, reduce world population, then I wont have to change absolutely anything about my life, as if it's a panacea for everything.

It's actually hopeless discussing these things with people who can't fathom any kind of inconvenience or hardships for the greater good. Snowflakes.

The leader of the Greens wants to increase the population of the island by 3 million people, the overwhelming majority of which will come through immigration...at the same time he wants to tax the crap out of Irish tax payers for increasing emissions...

These people are delusional to the extreme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that in the green party agenda? i must have missed it.

• Advertisement

Not sure if that's directed at me? I never said it was in their agenda. Eamon Ryan stated it publicly though. An island with a population of 10 million. We're currently at 7 million which sub replacement fertility albeit with a decade to maybe a decade and a half of population momentum which may add 200-400 thousand. The other 2.6 million plus needs to be made up by inward migration to fulfill his dreams.

Meanwhile they will continue to tax the crap out of ordinary Irish families as they criticize rising CO2 levels....

Advertisement