Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to an Irishman in mandatory quarantine in Australia

Options
  • 02-11-2021 12:29pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hey all,

We have an AMA with a Boardsie who has made the trip to Oz recently and is going through the mandatory hotel quarantine (MHQ) which is still required in most places over there. It is probably one of the strictest Covid-19 prevention measures still in place for travellers right now.

Our boardsie will have to stay in place in the hotel for 14 days so he is available to answer anything you want to ask him - I'm sure it will help to pass some time for him too!

Ask away...

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How are the tea and coffee making facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Odelay

Are you bored yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

has the trip to Australia turned your world upside down?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep I'm in Quarantine in Australia, AMA

Thanks for setting up the thread Niamh!

Just a small bit of background. I travelled to Australia with my partner as her only sister is getting married and she has other important family stuff to attend to.She is Australian and I'm Irish,we live in the west of Ireland.

This has been a pretty mental experience so far,on the final leg of the journey from Singapore to Adelaide we were the only 2 people in economy! ( I was kicking myself for paying for extra leg room seats)

We're currently on day 5 although you could argue its day 6 as the day you arrive doesn't count and is in effect day zero.

Any questions fire ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

1. Have you preplanned for boredom? IE stock up on podcasts,books, movies etc.
    2. Any innovative excercise plans?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep I'm in Quarantine in Australia, AMA

Not problems on that front,I don't drink either but the Mrs does.

Would you believe it but no I'm not.

Boredom was never really a major worry for me coming into this.

Much bigger concerns were the fact that a lot of people were put in sealed rooms with no fresh air for 14/15 days.I have claustrophobia so this is my actual worst nightmare.Hard to know exact numbers but anecdotal evidence would be this was the case for 50% or more of people quarantining here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Have you a balcony or window, go out now and shout Drink Feck Ars Girls see if anybody replays report back

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are you vaccinated and did it/would it have made any difference? I assume they don't trust PCR tests?

Also - how much is the hotel costing and who's paying?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Yes we're both vaccinated but that makes no difference. Including before departure in Dublin Airport we've had 3 negative pcr tests in 6 days.

Cost is $4000AUD and we pay.

They obviously provide food for your stay.

I assume it is nice and tasty.

what would be the normal daily food per person?

We have good Internet so plenty to watch. Unfortunately the chrome cast we brought won't connect to the telly for some reason so that's a bit of an issue.

I brought the two latest Ross O Carroll books and Billy Connollys autobiography.

I have water weights (basically inflatable dumbells) a stepper.Also aerobic workouts on YouTube.

Apart from travelling to your next destination and providing a TripAdvisor review after you are set free.

What will be the first thing you do upon leaving?

Like a lot of things in this quarantine lottery it varies greatly and all depends on where you end up.We were so so lucky in that we're in a 5 star hotel with food to match.The earlier flight this week are in a shìthole across town and a lot of the food isn't edible (I'm in their fb group too) they need to order in food at their own expense.

We don't have a say in what we get,it's 3 meals a day and they are all of excellent quality but neither of us are fussy eaters so it wasn't going to be an issue for us thankfully.Food is left outside the door,the guy knocks you wait exactly 3 mins,put on your mask and then have 10 seconds to get it in.We are lucky in that we have plated and cutlery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Have you anything to say to the geniuses here who proclaim "This is a dictatorship!!!! " when they're asked to wear a mask or produce their covid cert before going into a restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Is there any opportunity to get fresh air

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Odelay

Do you think you’ll suffer from cabin fever? I was in a hotel room recently and I was thinking about how difficult it would be to do the two weeks. I couldn’t stand more than Kne night. To face day after day suck in there. Can you cross the threshold for any reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do you think two weeks confined with your partner in a room, is conducive to a happy relationship?

If you could choose one other person to add to your duo, who would it be?

If you could swap your partner for one other person, with a guaranteed amnesty at the end, who would it be?

Has she caught you fapping yet?

Enjoy your stay! 😎

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Are you able to get any fresh air at all? Open a window, scheduled time to go out side, anything like that?

I'd imagine your fitness might take a hit after 14 days of being in a somewhat confined space. Did you both plan out any kind of routine, e.g. do you have an alarm set to get up in the morning and a time to exercise, eat, sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭skinnyfries

Does the hotel do Happy Hour?

My sister had to do 3 weeks MHQ in Hong Kong (on her own, with 3 &7 year olds). She was in a 5 star hotel and every Friday they had happy hour, all day! Buy a bottle of wine, get one free, I loved calling her when she was half cut!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have you run out of Tayto yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

OP did you get barred from reddit while in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

OP what are aussie rules like to watch? Any mad rivalry?

In a lot of cases no,you are totally confined to the room,all rooms will have windows but in most cases they don't open. To keep someone in this situation for 14 days is against all sorts of human rights laws and is also mentioned in the UN charter I believe.

It's the biggest issue ( others being cost,the over the top nature of it and food) amongst people having to quarantine.

The worst thing about it is everyone pays the same and it's a total lottery,you don't know where you're going until you're on the bus leaving the airport.As mentioned I am claustrophobic so the stress and anxiety leading up to this was off the charts, I never knew what real anxiety was until the lead up to this trip,I had to go to the doctor, took time off work,stopped eating,it was horrible.

I went through all the official channels to plead my case to at least have an opening window,I included my growing number of doctors letters and other medical stuff.They said they'd get back but never did. I emailed all the hotels and some got back and said you need to go through official channels which I had,others said you get whatever room you're giving.One hotel said all their rooms had at least a window that opened. Just the quarantine lottery but that's where we ended up thank god.They had my medical records to and gave us a corner suite with a large balcony. I nearly cried.

Going for a long walk on the beach and drawing a line under the whole thing so I can enjoy my time here.

Sitting at an outdoor bar and fireing scoops into me

This experience wouldn't change my view of people like that.Ill be polite and say as a reasonable person like the majority in Ireland I don't agree with their version of reality.

In our case yes we have a balcony, so so lucky,otherwise its 14 days in sealed room .

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Can your order stuff online from JustEat etc to be brought to your room?

Can you order alcohol from the bar?

What if you're dying for a fag?

• Advertisement

I stayed a hotel in Dublin in September and you couldn't open the window. Normally this would be a slight inconvenience,as I mentioned I have issues with claustrophobia,however I can walk out the door at any time so not a major issue.However this time under the circumstances of knowing what was coming in a few weeks I nearly had a panic attack.

Cabin fever hasn't been an issue so far.Again it's just so crucial to have the balcony, we also have a separate living area,massive bathroom with 4 person jacuzzi and a small kitchenette, it's the executive suite in a 5 star hotel. This is not the quarantine experience of the vast vast majority. We are so lucky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement