Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect or Builder?

Options
  • 02-11-2021 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

We've just purchased a house in Templeogue and we're looking to do some renovation work - extending out the back garden, total refurb and adding a utility and bathroom.

Most of what we want has probably been done already by other houses in the neighbourhood, looking at the SDCC website.

I've gotten one quote so far from an architect for his work in designing our home but I'm wondering if it's worth it when we'll probably be copying and pasting what a neighbour has done? Or should we go directly to a builder? We may need planning permission for the extension too but could keep it under 40m2 if it saves a lot of hassle and headache.

Also, if anyone knows of any architects working in the Dublin 6W area they'd recommended, please feel free to pm me with a contact.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You're going to need someone to certify the works on completion, certifying that it was built in accordance with the building regulations and planning permission (even if it's exempt, you need someone certifying that it's exempt). This certification will be important if ever selling or remortgaging the house.

So it's worth having an architect, engineer or surveyor to design the extension in accordance with the building regs, oversee the works to ensure compliance, and certify the works at the end. Plus even though you're planning on copying your neighbour's design, maybe your architect will propose something that could work better. They can also tender the work for you, likely know good reputable builders they've worked with before and can give a good price etc.

If you can afford the cost of the architect, I'd recommend doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd agree with Penn above. Not only do you need someone to sign off on the works if you go direct to a builder without detailed drawings you'll find yourself on site and the builder going 'Oh I haven't included for that' resulting in multiple claims and extras blowing the original budget or they'll end up cutting corners. The more detailed these drawings the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks for the advice, in terms of cost for an architect - it might be a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but how much should I expect to be charged?

We're ideally thinking of renovating the downstairs only, adding a utility room, downstairs shower/toilet and knocking down a wall and extending out the back garden all the way across the back of the property? We have one quote which is coming in close to €20k including VAT and we're not sure if that's decent or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If your going knocking the back of the house you will definitely need someone to spec that.

20k for what, the building work. Sounds cheap if it's all the building work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭Penn

20k for the architects fees is certainly high, unless you're looking for something very architecturally bespoke and also likely require planning. I'd recommend getting more quotes, including from engineers or surveyors who may also carry out design and specification work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭dubrov

Architects are normally about design and it sounds like you don't need any help in that area.

You could always get an architectural technician to just do the building drawings and it should be cheaper.

20k sounds very expensive for an architect for the work you've outlined.

I should clarify, the 20k is for downstairs rear extension, second story extension over garage and attic conversion - we wouldn't have budget to do all three right now, plan is to only focus on rear extension and leave second story and attic to another time. Is 20k for the arhictecture work for rear extension, second story extension and attic reasonable?

You are right, we possibly don't need a hell of a lot of drawings or designs, in the quote it also mentions that they'll help us with the builder/tender phase and site monitoring during building works... so it's not just for the drawings but to be involved in the building as well.. first time doing such a big renovation so we're trying to figure out what's best for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

All you need for an extension like that is a structural engineer for a quarter of the price.

They will draw up what you need and sign it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

But in this case the architect is not just drawing up the plans but also preparing the tender and helping to manage the build, perhaps helping with finishes, kitchen design and so on. I know an architect and she charges a percentage of the build cost, typically 10%. Iirc, only about a quarter of that is for the design/initial plans. The rest is for the planning application, tender documents, and the build stage.

A good architect can potentially save you money on the build too. An efficient layout can mean you don’t need such a big extension and at €2.5k/sq. meter, shaving a few square meters off could make a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭dubrov

An architectural technician can do all those things and the rate will likely be cheaper.

The problem is you may need someone to sign off the build as well. Some architects can do it but generally you'd need an engineer for this.

Given your design requirements are light, I'd try and get one engineer design, tender, build notices etcl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭mitresize5

both my bother and my sister bought and finished retrofit of houses for the 70's and 80's

One of them went for an architect and one for an engineer

Both project managed the builds well and both will be signing off for building regs and bank etc ...

Engineer 5K cheaper

Its quite easy to tell which house had the architect on board from day one though.

We are starting the process shortly and will def be going for an architect

Advertisement