Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handicap system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone else of the opinion that weighting for a 9 hole counting score should be reduced a little?

Especially for a higher handicapper, they could shoot the lights out for 9 holes, but in reality, if the round was 18 it's more likely their luck would even out. (unless there's already a weighting in place for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

They could. But IMO that’s probably going to be a 9 hole stretch from about the 3rd or 4th after they have had a chance to warm up and scratch the first couple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

They're still anecdotal given that they're second or third hand. And also given that they are taken from one side.

Not that I think they are either untrue or exaggerated. But the plural of anecdote is not data. And it's also true that it's the 'horror stories' that get traction and the run of the mill gets no airing whatsoever.

A lot of the problems with handicaps stem from a complete laissez-faire attitude from clubs and committees. It's the old story, people get trampled in the rush to deliver good news, but everybody's busy when the hard messages have to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

once someone brought the graph into it, then its not longer just anecdotal, its plain to see

you dont need to other side of the argument, they did the research themselves

Really? I could produce a similar graph to make a point and you'd just accept it?

Again, that's not the point I'm making. The point was pretty clear I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

How does this work with regards to Fourball, team events? We have a fourball/Team event every Wed, around 80% of the weds one lad played in he featured in the top 3. Nearly every time he would the much higher scoring of the pair/team. When it came to qualifying singles comps on the saturday he actually went out during the year. Now non counting again surprise/surprise featuring again.

This guy has the straightest WHS you will ever see, he managed his score so well on the sat that is going well would end up between a range of 3/4 shots. Nearly all his rounds are between 4/5 shots no swings good or bad.

yes, of course I would

if you backed up a story with some screenshots and you had a history of reliable posting why wouldn't I.

I would give it more credence than a story without any evidence.

Some have said all the comps are won by high handicappers, some have come back to counter it, saying that the low handicappers win more, which i can attest to myself, its been pretty balanced really, so i don't think the horror stories have any more traction than the others

For the moment, fourball events aren't counting. There are obviously some formats that will never be suitable for handicap purposes, like scrambles and the like. But even for fourball to count, there can't be gimmies and other such relaxations of the rules of golf.

If I was h/cap sec and cards for those fourball events were being handed in, I'd be holding them back for the handicap review. If a chap is putting in mid eighties scores in counting comps and high seventies in fourball, then I'd be thinking about a cut of four or five.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Agree with this 100% very easy to get hot over 9 holes and it could drastically lower your handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

It is strange the Ireland & Britain are allowed to treat 9 hole rounds differently to the rest of the world.

In every other country a 9 hole score doesn't count towards a handicap until a 2nd 9 hole score is submitted and they can be combined to make an 18 hole score. That makes more sense if there is a concern about a player having a freakishly good (or bad) 9 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

That's very interesting I have to say, wasn't aware that us and the UK treated 9 Holes differently than everywhere else.

I'm from a 9 hole course. I don't treat 9 or 18hole comps differently in my head anyway. I don't treat the 9s differently on the card in an 18 hole comp and reset my mindset on the 10th tee. I just don't see it like that.

But having said that, since 9 hole comps came in for WHS counting, my handicap has dropped from what used to be a steadyish 5 handicap (CONGU) to a now 3 HI.

In my head I'm an old 5 handicapper, defo not a 3. I don't know if weighting is in favour of 9 Holes as discussed above, I've no clue. Maybe it is, I couldn't say. But, looking across at other Cat1 golfers in my club that have been there years and years like myself, it seems our HI is now 1-2 lower than what we were in CONGU.

Maybe we just prefer the 9 Holes. I dunno. I know I was glad when our last 18 was finished and happier to look forward to Saturday 9 Holes through the winter where there are less fuss on time constraints.

That kind of sounds like a distinction without a difference. If there's a tendency for scores to be better over nine holes than eighteen, adding another nine hole score does not make it an eighteen hole score played as eighteen. It just exacerbates the difference.

9 holes were always counting, not just since WHS

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yes that is true. But it was only on the introduction of WHS that our club enforced every 9 hole comp as counting by playing off the tees that were measured for course rating.

Prior to WHS, 9 hole comps Spring-Autumn, had a more casual/social feel off the forward tees midweek and were set up, by choice of the club, as non counting. And the membership preferred it that way.

So back then you still had the choice.

Then we decided to introduce counting, move to the rated course, and apply the 9 hole handicap CONGU calculation prior to the onslought of WHS. But it was only on select 9 hole comps, not every 9 hole comp like now in WHS times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

In general I prefer WHS to CONGU, I like the fact that it’s more reflective of your actual current ability.

i like how it adds competitiveness to even average rounds. On Sunday last I was never going to win comp but I knew 33 would give me a cut to my lowest ever handicap. Sitting on the 18 tee with 32 points, managed a 6 for 1 point.

I do like general play but I don’t like how it’s open to abuse. I thought that limiting your GP rounds to a % of your comp rounds might be a good idea. Maybe something like, for every 4 comp rounds you can enter a GP round.

I would also like to see the system harmonised more, especially in the CH calculation. I’d love to see more mixed tee competitions (like in the US) but when your CH is calculated without the CR - Par it does not make it equatable. (Oddly CR-Par is used on 9 holes here)

J

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Have been reading this thread for quite a while so decided to do an analysis on our own clubs scores between 2020 and 2021.

Unfortunately didn't have the numbers for handicap ranges in 2020 so have to use the 2021 figures for comparison. The table below has the results for the top 5 in each comp in 2020 and 2021 compared with the amount of members in that range.

The interesting part for me was that even though the amount of times each range was represented in the top 5 was consistent, the scores required to do so has only slightly increased but the handicaps doing it have jumped a lot.

2020 vs 2021:

Top 5 scores has increased by an average of 0.93 and a median of 1. Not too bad really.

The handicap of those players in the top 5 has increased by an average of 2.25 and a median of 4.5.

And if you narrow it down to the top 3 the average has increased by 2.22 and the median has increased by 6.

This year we moved most comps to a category prize system which seemed popular as certainately in the early days some wild scores were coming in from big handicaps but has settled down over the summer.

Overall I'm glad I had a look at the figures as I was also feeling a bit agrieved by the new system but data is data and each handicap range is taking roughly it's fair share of the top 5 spots. If you're like me though and you're handicap remained relatively unchanged between the CONGU and WHS then I do feel I'm suddenly behind by about 4 to 6 shots which feels tough. It's like the same guys are still playing the same golf as always but they now just have more shots to work with, maybe fairly so if it means they could never compete on the old system. Reports in our club this year of long time members being delighted to win a prize after years of being non-competitive on the old system.

Anyway, that's my analysis done on it. WHS is here to stay and we each have to learn to accept it for what it is even if I would also like to see a few tweeks made hopefully in the next year. Would even like to see clubs have their own control over the competiton handicap allowances, reduce from 95% to 90% and that kind of thing. Especially in a scramble, the 25-20-15-10 allowance is nuts and had teams playing off 20+ in our last scramble which takes the fun out of it really as it's impossible to make up that many shots on a team.

But 9 holes are already treated differently

Say you are a 20 handicap, and you shoot 5 over on the front, it still assumes you shot 11 over on the back 9, handicap/2 +1, so you get 16

that is fair no?

If you are a 4 handicap and you shoot 10 over on the front 9 it will get a 13

Bit silly to be basing off assumptions though

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Well it's pretty much the only basis you can use if you've not actually played the other nine holes. Your own post that started this conversation involves an assumption.

Anyone else of the opinion that weighting for a 9 hole counting score should be reduced a little?

Especially for a higher handicapper, they could shoot the lights out for 9 holes, but in reality, if the round was 18 it's more likely their luck would even out. (unless there's already a weighting in place for this)

Assumption: That a good opening nine would be followed by a bad one.

Inherent in that assumption is that the opposite would also be true. A bad start would be followed by a good.

• Advertisement

Well yes. but surely the system should be capable of pairing genuine 9 hole scores together or something? Or at least reducing the weighting of your 9 hole score.

Well if you put two nine hole scores together and your assumption is that nine holes can be better than 18s on aveage, then you're just exacerbating the problem you've outlined. Also forces people to (a) play even numbers of nine hole comps and (b) not have their handicap adjusted until they play their second.

Some kind of averaging system has to be in place if the nine hole score must be projected unto a notional 18 hole score.

I'd actually question is this really necessary since nine hole courses (both real and notional) are actually rated under WHS. And those ratings actually reflect the difficulty of each separate nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I walked in off 12 on Sunday and handed in my card. I had a 2 on the card so made sure to do it! For 13-18 I selected "did not play" on the computer and it seems to have put me in for a net par on each of these holes, so overall I had +1 net for my handicap. Which I think was a great score considering the state my back was in.

well if you have forward tees i'd be asking the question, why wasn't that course rated?

Well then take some weighting off 9 holes. I would say something along the lines of 85% of handicap for 2nd (non-played) 9 than just assuming that you’re shooting nett level par.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

It should have given you net bogey on hole 13 and net par on holes 14 to 18.

Did you have 24 points for the 12 holes played?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

Are they not equally likely to shoot a crap 9 as a good 9? So they would balance out over time

Nope, net par.

It was a medal, but I'd have had 23 points after 12. But the score differential for the round was 19.7. My handicap index is 18.3. It probably makes sense that they calculate your score based on wherever you were relative to your handicap at that point in the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

Was there a net bogey on any of the holes from 13 to 18?

Also It’s the course handicap that is used when scaling up the holes not played and not the playing handicap.

• Advertisement

There it is from the app. I think course handicap was 18, playing 17, but either way I've a shot on each of the holes I didn't play.

Advertisement