Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

It would take some time to do the research and perform the basic calculations and I feel certain someone has already done them and put them up on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The reason agri produces higher percentage in Ireland is because we have less heavy industry, no fracking, no coal and oil.

So we produce methane and thus a green house gas through the production of food.

This whole thing is a shyteshow where farming and agriculture are being fooking sacrificed so that the real big polluters continue as is.

In 2019 only 10% of greenhouse gas emmissions were methane, i.e. some of which could be hung on animals and farming.

80% were down to CO2.

And what do the powers that be decide to tackle, the thing that produces food for us to eat.

Meanwhile India, China and US continue as normal, creating new coal fired power stations, belching out yet more fumes on cars, etc...

Oh yeah the refrain about China investing heavily in renewables is exactly the same shyte greenwashing that Shell carries out when they do fancy ads about how they are investing 900 million in renewables with absolutely nothing about the billions they are investing in yet more fossil fuels extraction.

It is a fooking joke where the likes of Ireland, and the Irish stooges who want to look good, will decimate their only indigenous industry that produces food for people to supposedly save the world, while yanks swan around in big cars with aircon everywhere, Chinese industry belches out billions more tonnes of coal fired smoke and India does likewise.

Oh and the other shyte continously spewed out about going electric vehicles in a large number of cases is just changing from where the CO2 is emitted, coal/gas electricity generation versus diesel/petrol combustion.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Here's some basic science too called the carbon cycle. Apparently that carbon goes around in circles.

Indeed it does but that doesn't change the fact that whilst the methane is in the air it is doing far more damage (x20) than the CO2 which was used in growing the grass. Two different things happening there.

Here's a useful analog to illustrate my point. Cyanide is made up of carbon and nitrogen - both absolutely harmless by themselves - but deadly when combined in even tiny quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes .. but co² is permanent , and cumulative in the atmosphere

Methane breaks down in the atmosphere -(into co²)

That co² CAN ( not alwAys) be absorbed by the grasslands that produce the feedstock for the cows in the first place -

The methane emissions of today are replacing the methane of 10 / 20 years ago

The co² emited today is adding to the CO² of 20 years ago of 200 ago

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That doesn't mean we can't try reduce the methane emission ,as well as the co² and the Nox - and its coming ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yes but can you show methane from animal sources has increased over the last 50 years.

There was always methane produced so there was always methane in the atmosphere. It would take additional methane to cause damage.

Now explain your cyanide analogy in this context because it's a poor analogy as you've set it out.

Let me help you it begins with the initial levels naturally occurring cyanide is okay but when combined with........

Naturally occuring cyanide is not OK and if you disagree with this I invite you to try eating some - see you in the morgue.

Increased stock numbers means increased methane production. Also the move from deep litter or outstocking to slatted sheds creates perfect conditions for the production of more methane and sulpher dioxide (another greenhouse gas). So everything about the changes in Irish beef production has caused an increase in Irish methane emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yer right of course. More animals means more methane. Same as more people mean more waste and energy needs. Before slatted sheds they were housed indoors too but not to the same scale of course. Normally on straw beds. With no manure management whatsoever unlike today. Is straw bedding better than slats?

Massively better. Methane is formed in the absence of air which is the very definition of a slatted shed slurry tank. Deep litter is relatively shallow, dryish and with reasonably good air circulation throughout its depth - encouraging aerobic decomposition which produces predominantly CO2. You only have to smell the difference between slurry and deep litter to understand the difference.

Slatted sheds were a necessity to increase stocking rates - but the wastes they produce are absolutely terrible compared to what came before. They are the main reason why Ireland is missing its targets on the Water Framework directive so badly - and the main reason Ireland will eventually be hit by massive fines for missing those targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Do they have many cattle in India our a mostly vegan diet...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The government bringing in the straw chopping scheme has put the price of straw up. Doing so is making more turn away from straw bedding and to cubicles. It was always about price why people went with cubicles and slats but it's even moreso now that those still hanging on buying straw are finally having to give in and go for concrete.

Dung heaps are not immune either. You'll lose your carbon in an uncovered dungheap and especially aerated with compost turners to co2 emissions. Only hope you'd have is cover with a sheet of plastic and anaerobically save by making bokashi.

Slurry is not the worst either Teagasc have done a trial and used commercially available Slurry bugs and different treatments. They didn't name the available bugs but there were big differences. Farmers who have used some bugs have reported no smell after treatments (sulphur dioxide and methane).

I would say that dealing with slurry in an environmentally sensitive way will put many farmers out of business.

You haven't a notion of what your on about, whats the commercial value of a 1000 gallons of good quality slurry at the minute, go and google it and see what you come back with....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I love almonds. After several decades of eating them, I'm still here. The Italians quite like their almonds, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nor do I want to understand it, it won't affect me, If the same percentage of the population show responsibility as there did during covid, there's nothing going to change

So the forced move to slurry injection isn't on the cards, a move that will be impossible to implement on wide areas of the country.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/we-cannot-continue-talking-about-injection-slurry-systems/

The issues are well understood, the solutions costly and they often simply don't work.

What's going to prevent the injection of slurry on large areas of the country, if you can travel ground with a splash plate tanker you'll travel it with a trailing shoe/dribble bar on the tank aswell, its going to be compulsory for all farms from 2023

Boulder clay makes any form of injection all but impossible.

You're giving tillage a massive oversight there.

The highest nitrates release are from tillage ground. Always have been. Always will be. Why?

You till the ground, you expose the soil carbon to oxygen, which floats off as co2 emissions. Soil carbon holds onto nitrate. If it's not there that nitrate leaches.

There's a teagasc catchment which is predominantly tillage with the highest nitrates release in the country and yet we've environmentalists looking for this to be replicated across the country. You'd have to wonder are they completely anti animal that they'd prefer higher nitrates release into the waterways than have carbon rich grassland soaking up those nitrates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dribble bar is just as climate friendly and would work

A system which consistently reduces the levels of carbon in the soil is a recipe for disaster. Erosion is endemic and the single biggest threat to agriculture across the planet. it also drives the constant need to bring fresh new land into agriculture - with the knock on effect of reducing biodiversity. There was a conference dealing with the issues a little while ago - soil scientists are more than worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

You have just realised the key point eventually!!!!!!! FOSSIL FUELS.

Why do we want to hamstring an indigenous industry to pay for that?

But it doesn't address the biggest problem with slurry in ireland which is runoff.

this is all really a bit of a distraction from the issue of methane because once its generated by in the slurry tank it will be released into the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

And find where they're included in the inventories while your at it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Has read somewhere that some of those soil experts believe we have 20 harvests left, due to soil erosion and mono cropping

So the cyanide analogy was a poor one then.

At least you have now moved to a rational debating position rather than comparing methane to cyanide.

Is there a significant increase in methane from slurry storage versus the same number of animals outwintered.

My understanding is the bulk of the methane produced is from belching and flatulence. As such is it the increase in raw numbers or the housing practices which are having most impact.

An admission of what - that fossil fuels are a big problem for climate change. It doesn't excuse agriculture since all agriculture is one of the heaviest users of fossil fuels on the planet. All that diesel, plastic and fertilizer - all fossil fuels.

• Advertisement

It's not erosion though. People don't get that. When you say tillage people automatically think brown water after a flood.

But nitrate has no colour. You dissolve urea in a tank. It's as clear as cleanest of water. But you stick the tester in there and you'll get the reading.

You'll see carbon in soil but you will not see nitrogen. I'll use a biochar analogy as I know it. You pour nitrates in water (as clear as day) into a pot of biochar. It'll soak it up. None out the bottom.

You pour nitrates in water into a pot of tilled ground (ie sand) and it all goes straight through (as clear as water).

Advertisement