Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dave Chappelle's new special "The Closer" really transphobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Based on this post I'm not sure you understood the point Dyr was making 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

nah - not even slightly lol - and certainly not over stuff like this!

I just find the irony hilarious (And Gatling wont see it because he (in a fit of outrage) blocked me..)

I don't think it's outrage... just playing with others and seeking to "trigger" reactions. It's the way these discussions usually go. With the exception of a few very dedicated (to these kind of agendas) posters, I doubt that many people are really all that invested in the topic.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry that you see it that way. I am not seeking to trigger anyone, I really do find the irony funny (the outrage and counter outrage - although I see far more evidence of the outrage against the people who are apparently looking to cancel DC than I don people trying to actually cancel him..).

Is that what you do? Play with people and try and trigger arguments? Genuine question, but that's not something that would naturally occur to me. Some people do of course love a windup, but its not the default - and a little strange to throw it out there as an accusation (maybe you are trying to "trigger" me?).

However, If people are actually triggered then maybe they need to look within themselves as to why that would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What do you mean there is 'plenty of science behind the way we view gender'?

Do you mean biological gender? Yes of course. If you mean plenty of science in respect of the new gender orthodoxy there is absolutely no science whatsoever and there is no such thing as a 'gender expert', i.e. one who is in a position to speak as an authority in the area of gender fluidity and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

im guessing people are making money from being offended

you dont need to put it in bold, that is obvious and not really how scientific research works, but you know that, right?

This is actually funny

• Advertisement

I think it waay worse - yeah for sure some. But there is also big business in the counter offended - the DM etc thrive on shite like this..

Hard to keep up with all the outrage - and as someone said earlier (Klaz?) - how many folks actually have a vested interest in half of these topics anyway (not that it is a reason to not have an opinion on a place like this..)?

The big difference is chapelle is having the craic and getting paid, linehan is losing everything .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

piers morgan did a few segments on a TV show last year about the whole trans ideology and outrage and cancellations of people standing up to self proclaimed activists ,

Imagine having a gay man call a person transphobic and the actual trans person telling the gay man he's actually not transphobic and he's actually defended trans rights ,

It's people Claiming outrage to be outraged on behalf of others

Me? Nope. I enter discussions that I have an interest in. Generally anything that involves the way society is changing tends to interest me.

As for me trying to trigger you... I really couldn't be bothered. I've been on the internet long enough to realise that most posters are non-entities and without any personal knowledge/experience of them as people, there's little to no value in trying to determine their true feelings on any subject.

Your last comment is a perfect example of the attitude of those seeking to trigger others. Perhaps you really are unaware of this, but I honestly doubt it. You've been on these kind of threads enough to see the difference, and if you profess some ignorance over it, fine... although, I suspect there's more to it than that.

Either way, it leads nowhere, and I'll leave it at that... since I rarely have the patience anymore to chase people and try pinning them down to a definite position. (which is why my comment was directed at someone else and not at you)

gender identity denying biological sex is precisely Butler’s ideology. She creates an ideology and then refutes it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

My last comment is valid and nothing to do with what either of us think the other may or may not be triggered on it trying to trigger on.

It's a generalisation, that applies to anyone, myself included. If something is triggering you then look within to see why that might be the case. Yes some pricks will always try to push buttons, but that's up to you to not allow them to be. So no it's not a perfect example, and I really don't appreciate the way you are throwing the accusations about.

I'm generally interested in this topic for my own reasons (not that I have to justify that) - although not so much this DC angle (I rather find this one funny fur the irony's mentioned above).

If this was all directed at someone else then fine, but why keep quoting me? I am not outraged nor "trying to trigger" anyone. Why accuse me of it Vs assuming good faith?

(No after all that, it does sound like I'm triggered lol 🤣🤣)

If this was all directed at someone else then fine, but why keep quoting me?

My previous post quoted you. The one before that, quoted and was directed at someone else entirely.

yeah - look you quoted rothko who was making a point about me being outraged!

Anyway - I have typed waaaay more than this actually merits. For the record I am neither outraged nor triggered nor trying to trigger anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So this is why Dave Chappelle should be cancelled? Just people looking to be permanently offended.

But this is the thing - I don't think that many people ARE looking for him to be 'cancelled'. Its the counter offense that seems strongest. Look at the second sentence of the opening post of this thread (and a lot of what followed).

That there is just a joke. It uses a poor/invalid comparison (in my opinion) - but its comedy and doesn't really need to be all that accurate, context is key - and most people understand that.

• Advertisement

That there is just a joke. It uses a poor/invalid comparison (in my opinion) - but its comedy and doesn't really need to be all that accurate, context is key - and most people understand that.

It's not 'just a joke'. It's taking a potshot at the claim of the trans activists that transwomen are 100% equivalent to a cis-women, a view they have doubled down on in the last few years. The view that lesbians are transphobic for dismissing transwomen as sexual partners derives from exactly that belief. It's all to easy to ridicule and that's why his sketch is deemed 'transphobic' because he's clearing rubbishing their claim through humour. The comparison is not invalid because clearly Eminem is not a .... The fact he doesn't claim to be makes no difference because there are trans women who also do not claim to be 100% equivalent to cis-women. So therefore he's not attacking trans people, he's attacking the trans activists and their allies who are doubling down on gender ideology, which is fair game and not transphobic.

edit: typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah. The deep irony here. The ones complaining and moaning about all the outrage from the so called "wokerazzi whingebags" are actually the ones who are most outraged.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You got all that from that one joke about Jenner, its laughable really.

Then why are Netflix employees protesting? Perhaps you should tell them not to read anything into the jokes and chill.

I think Rotten Tomatoes scores sums it up perfectly

Critics 43% approval

Audience 95%

And that says it all about the state of the entertainment industry across the spectrum today and the media cheerleaders. The total disconnect between them and what audiences want.

Fair play to Netflix for not bowing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

The leftwing humanities graduates who dominate education and cultural institutions have captured many parts of the establishment, including the Human Resources departments and hence the training courses, in key public services like the civil service and the police.

One section of a BBC programme (Understanding Sexual and Gender Identities) aimed at 9 to 12-year-olds showed a pupil asking: “How many gender identities are there?”, to which the ‘Relationship and Sex Education’ teacher explained: “There are so many gender identities. So we know we have got male and female, but there are over 100 if not more gender identities now.”

This series is well worth listening to. Stephen Nolan ability to operate as an independent journalist allows him the freedom to make controversial points. He would be brilliant as host of the Late Late Show.

"How many sexes do you think there are"? This is the level we are at today.

Setting aside the insanity of it how these people, or those they represent, can possibly think they are above ridicule from comedians is another low all on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

One section of a BBC programme (Understanding Sexual and Gender Identities) aimed at 9 to 12-year-olds showed a pupil asking: “How many gender identities are there?”, to which the ‘Relationship and Sex Education’ teacher explained: “There are so many gender identities. So we know we have got male and female, but there are over 100 if not more gender identities now.”

What I find most interesting about this is that they don't really list or explain a few of the other "100 or more" gender identities? It's like they are putting on the appearance of being informative without actually being informative.

Like an Irish person saying "oh, I've visited over 100 countries in my life such as England and France." Really? That's the most information you want to give there.

If there are over 100 gender identities then there must be some really exotic and interesting ones out there. I wonder if the creators of the BBC programme could even list say 30?

That becomes worse when it's taken in the context of educating children. Relationship and Sex Education is pretty important so it seems that these kind of vague statements should be ironed out. You can easily imagine some wee troll in class asking "can you identify as anything, miss?" Then upon being told that yes you can identify as anything the kid says "Haha then I identify as an attack helicopter!" While the child is obviously trolling there at the same time you are teaching them that they can identify as anything?

I would also question if the number of genders can go above 100 then why don't we push people to just use names as pronouns? Surely a lot easier to just refer to someone by their name than have to navigate a range of possibly 100s of pronouns. Seems a bit redundant.

Advertisement