Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a HAP landlord

Options

Comments

It’s all very confusing trying to work out who pays what to whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

This is not the case at all. Simply not telling someone you plan to apply for HAP isn't lying, and the LL would have no rights to refuse you on this ground anyway. Unless they can read your mind, there is no way for them to know this was your plan. The landlord only needs to know that you will pay your rent and take good care of the place, beyond that, nothing is really any of their business.

Afaik, the limit listed is the most they will pay out. So for example, each of the Dublin and Wicklow councils will pay out a limit of €660, but that doesn't mean you have to find an apartment for under €660. If you found a place for €800, they would just contribute at most €660 and you'd pay the remainder directly to the landlord. It is a bit of a byzantine system though so it's very hard to find concrete details without talking to the local authority directly. I remember I had applied for it before, and my rent was a good bit more than €660, but was told it would still be worth my while. However, the savings I would have made would have been fairly small, the process is very slow, and eventually I got a new job that pushed my pay high enough that it wasn't worth it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I've been reading for a long time how landlords don't want HAP tenants and didn't understand why a landlord would have any reason to favour a non-hap tenant. In reality it shouldn't make any difference to the landlord if a tenant avails of a subsidy or not, as long as the rent is paid. It seems there is additional paperwork involved at the start, but after that it should go along like any other tenancy.

However, if the max of 40% of total income is a sustainable level determined by the council as @archfi suggested, is that a reason why a landlord might decline a potential tenant based on them not having the means to meet the higher rent and still have sufficient income for other living costs?

Do landlords refuse HAP tenants because their overall income is not enough for the particular property and nothing at all to do with them receiving HAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Great to see the usual great and good giving advice to tenants on how to gain a house under false pretences.

From a landlords point of view, if someone tried to pull that stunt on me they would be getting their notice very quickly.

I would have no problem taking HAP for a tenant whose circumstances change be it losing their job, illness or injury but to try and pull a fast one like that will never end well.

And for the record, if someone came to me and said straight up that they were working full-time and needed help with the rent I wouldn't have a problem with that, same with most landlords I know, Working is the main thing that landlords look out for in tenants.

Imo, I think it's kind of just about assumptions of what sort of person is on HAP. To get HAP you have to be on a housing list, and you even see it on this board that some people assume anyone on a housing list is a welfare sponge, unemployed, not responsible, going to cause trouble, etc.

Even though the money from the council will be reliable, if there's a gap that the tenant has to make up, they might assume this part will not be, and that they could be trouble in other ways (being loud, causing damage to property, etc.). There is also the fact that property receiving HAP has to meet minimum standards, and not all property might meet that if it were to ever be inspected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks for being honest. I tried being honest and it didn't work. How are tenants going to know how a landlord reacts to HAP? They don't. If you accept HAP, it's nothing on you when someone applies for it, so it shouldn't really bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You are dealing with Sovereign Citizens here. Never a straight answer.

The money from the council is not reliable, if the tenant stops paying their share to the council, the council stops paying the landlord, so it's a case of your problem deal with it, the wash their hands of it.

This is one of the main reasons landlords don't want Hap tenants anymore.

Does the landlord need to frog march into a Government building to sort out the paperwork?

Anecdotal, but from speaking to a friend who works at a local authority, they've told me their council will still pay it to avoid the trouble, but persue it with the tenant themselves. In either case, it's more reliable than normal income, since even if you lose your job you just have to contribute whatever % of your dole and council will make up the difference.

I don't see how applying for HAP is a "stunt". When I was applying for HAP previously, I was in the apartment a few months already, and process of applying for HAP probably took another 2-3 months. When I moved in, I hadn't even heard of HAP. I was only made aware of it by a friend who used it. So if I went and applied for it then, and asked my landlord to take payments from HAP, is that me pulling a stunt and coming in under false pretenses? I didn't lose my job, I just ran the numbers and found I could save a bit by doing it, like the OP. Should I have been sent out for that too?

• Advertisement

As I said most landlords will take HAP where a person is working, better of being straight from day one, there is a lot of extra hassle to a landlord if the property wasn't previously let to a HAP tenant, the likes of fire certs and some clown from the council coming out 6 months after the tenant has moved in nit-picking and trying to find faults just so the can justify their job.

That paragraph is the kernal of the problem why landlords are reluctant to have HAP tenants.

Well speaking as a landlord I have first hand experience where the tenant stopped paying their share to the council, the council stopped paying me then, rang them up and told them if my money wasn't in my account by the end of the week, the tenants were going, was more or less told it was in my lease agreement, so in others words, tough luck.

Why do you think they got rid of the RAS scheme?

Wow that is mental. Did you get rid of the tenant or got paid rent?

I got rid of the tenant alright but never got paid what I was owed, but not to worry, all landlords are rich and do this job as a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Lol. I got grief for suggesting tenants pay in time and keep common area clean. Reason was I lived there but my sister, the landlady doesn't. They threw out tenants and licencee to muddy the water. I think this page is taken over by Sovereign Citizens. Sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

Yeah, that’s the main problem really with HAP. There’s lot of extra hassle, with inspections, admin, tax clearance certs etc. There’s no real upside, as there isn’t a shortage of potential tenants, so why go through the hassle?

Agree, at least with the old RAS scheme you were guaranteed your rent and the extra hassle at the beginning was worth it in the end, but we know why that was got rid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

After the latest government law change its going to get nearly impossible for HAP tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

Just to add a small nugget.

The failure rate on HAP properties is reported to be very high. (See article attached ?)

So what happens when a property fails, and the LL can’t afford whatever works required?

(I’ve heard some requests are downright ridiculous, apparently a lot really depends on the mood of the inspector and which CC they are working from rather than all CC’s reading off the same page)

So, property fails, Council stops paying the LL , then washes their hands.

And landlord spends the next two years trying to remove the non paying tenant.

They’d make this entire scheme more inviting to landlords if they did two simple things.

1.Inspect the property and HAP approve properties prior to landlords getting in tenants in the first place.

And 2. Pay the rent in advance not in arrears.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hap-scheme-rental-standards-3765929-Dec2017/

They had a good scheme in place called RAS, but because tenants were not paying their share to the council they decided to change it to HAP so that the landlord takes the hit when the tenant stops paying, and now people are complaining about landlords not wanting to take HAP tenants.

You won't see a poll in the Journal about that though.

I was refused by landlord and I'm working full time and not in a minimum wage job.

Just my own inspection if the place, no microwave or freezer and I think that is part of the standard for rental places. That's not too much to ask for. Heck, I even said I'd get my own microwave as well. But nope still not good enough.

When you say refused, maybe they had a few to choose from and you were just unlucky they just didn't pick you.

Yes, microwaves and freezers are compulsory nowadays for rental property, let's say you did rent and applied for HAP down the line what happens when the place fails a HAP inspection, and I can assure you that a place that doesn't have a few basic requirements now hasn't got a hope of passing one.

Nope, I was told he wasn't going to take it further if I insist on HAP. Why would he ever choose me if he didn't want HAP?

Doesn't a landlord have a few weeks to sort out issues if it fails an inspection?

And a similar question can be asked to a landlord, what happens if your tenant loses their job, would you rather rent being paid? Why would you care where it comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

Yes they do have a few weeks but in some instances it won’t matter because they are simply unable to do what is being asked.

Example a short while ago on another thread, a landlord with a HAP tenant both parties happy with the tenancy.

Along came the HAP inspector, was an apartment and the inspector took exception to the type of cooker hood.

From what I could gather, the cooker hood in situ was specially designed for properties that didn’t have access to an exterior vent.

But the inspector wanted a hood that was vented to an exterior wall.

However, the owner didn’t have rights to tamper with the exterior wall of the apartment block.

And all other apartments were obviously using similar style cooker hoods.

This situation was out of the LL’s control, he couldn’t change the cooker hood.

So the property failed the HAP inspection.

So, let’s say there are a few other owners in that block also renting out apartments.

They're all going to be in the same boat when it comes to accepting HAP.

Of course they’ll say they accept it, because it’s illegal to say they can’t.

They’d find themselves being sued for thousands for “discrimination” if they open their mouth to a prospective tenant.

So no doubt they’ll say sure, they accept HAP, then go through the motions, filling out forms, all the while knowing their property will fail the inspection. But there’s nothing they can do.

That’s just one example of inspectors picking on odd things.

Ive heard of others, there’s just no rhyme or reason to some of it, iseems to depend on from which side of the bed *some of these inspectors get out from in the morning lol

Its a failing in the system, properties should be pre approved for HAP before, not after the tenant moves in.

Apart from the obvious waste of time to the LL it causes if it’s already known that the property won’t pass.

And the headache afterward of spending a very lengthy time trying to remove a non paying tenant.

It would also spare potential tenants a lot of wasted time and effort and frustration.

If on rental adverts they could see some kind of note or sticker “Property HAP approved”.

The discrimination law is absolutely necessary, I’m not knocking it in the sense for which it was meant.

And it’s very well intentioned for sure.

But in this circumstance, it’s backfiring on itself. Because it’s effectively just gagging LL’s from responding to people.

There are *some legitimate issues with the HAP system and they have nothing to do with tenants at all.

They need to make things easier for all. God, nobody needs this. All the while if you receive a council house, all you get are brick walls and it's up to you to decorate and furnish and then they go off and do this to private rentals.

• this has to be the most downright disgraceful thing I've seen said in a while. honestly how dare you?

• Advertisement

• that's not how the list works. when a house becomes available they assess who is on it, taking into consideration many factors.

the OP having a place to live at the moment which is suitable (albeit not their preference) would mean they are not likely a priority and therfore you'd need a hape of aul ones to kick the bucket before being offered. either way that's a bit of a morbid outlook.. "just hold on, I'd say Mary in number 15 will be dead within the week!"

like cmon.

Advertisement