Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

He isn’t playing 10 for Leinster because of the other options they have and his versatility. He has played there before though and it’s possibly his most natural position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Having watched him play 10, I would have to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

It's funny that sexton came out and said that Farrell and the management team have come out and said they are already talking about and planning for a tournament nearly 2 years away and then potentially have the short-sightedness to pick a team for Japan with only the next week in mind.

Fair enough would you 12 is his best position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It can if your opposition is Harry Byrne's anatomy.

I think so, it suits his skillset better, he’s creative and a great distributor. Just don’t think he has the game management for a top level 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

He's a more natural 10 than Carbery if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Luke Fitz has been banging the Frawley at 10 drum for quite a while now (not sure how much I'd read into that) but it's an interesting debate. He's such a cultured, natural footballer and he's the perfect size for a 10. But I do have concerns about his size as an international 12. He may need to bulk up, but playing above your natural body weight can lead to dip in performance or injury. Henshaw put on a lot of size to play 12 but his form sky rocketed when he slimmed down after the WC.

I've got a sneaking suspicion Frawley won't be at Leinster too much longer. With the new URC having no games during international windows and Henshaw to come back, he'll struggle to get enough game time at Leinster. Unless Ringrose is moved to wing to accommodate him.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear about Ulster (who are shortest at 10) sniffing around, or Connacht if Carty leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Surely Frawley at 10 for Ireland is pie in the sky stuff. He is literally Leinster's 4th choice out half, and the three ahead of him are all Irish qualified. If he is to be an option for Ireland he needs to be head of the others surely.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree based on what we have seen so far. Both immensely talented players but neither are natural 10’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

While he has some filling out to do, I wouldn't be one bit concerned about his size at 12.

He's 6'3" and well north of 90kgs (although likely not the 98 Leinster and Irish Rugby bill him as)

Someone like David Havili is smaller and lighter.

This is true, but Havili is more wiry and has an agility about him which helps him not get dominated in the contact area. Redpath is similar. Gavin Henson was too.

Frawley doesn't posses the evasion and speed to make up for his lack of physicality IMO. He very much looks like a 10 playing at 12 for me.

I'm not saying Frawley can't be a 12 but you'd need someone outside him to do the hard yards like Tuilagi does for England when Farrell is at 12. They tried Farrell and Slade but it just doesn't work. Frawley trucking it up into a South African or English midfield would worry me.

I'd like to see more of Frawley/Henshaw. It's balanced and they played together away at Montpellier last season and wentt really well.

Yep, it must be a couple of years since he started a game at 10 so if he's a test level out half, Leo Cullen is missing a trick.

He's playing very well at 12, Ireland could use a ball playing option there, so why not see how that goes.

The back 3 will be interesting. Keenan is probably nailed onto start at 15. I really rate Baloucoune and I think he should be given the opportunity in these games. The other wing position for me is harder to decide. Keith Earls was brilliant against England in the 6 nations but I think we should be looking to the future. James Lowe is too much of a weakness defensively. That leaves Larmour or Zebo. Not sure who’d be the best option out of those 2.

No one is saying he should be playing 10 for Ireland and nobody is saying we shouldn't see how he goes at 12.

But it's a valid and interesting discussion as his original position is 10, he has many attributes of a 10, he's had many a good game at 10, and we currently find ourselves in a bit of a predicament at 10.

Stephen Larkham wasn't a 10 originally.

It probably is unlikely but it's far from impossible. I'm not having a go here but surely we should be encouraging having discussions, not trying to shut them down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is anyone really trying to shut down discussions? Or are people just making the point that Leinster's 4th choice 10 is highly unlikely to feature for Ireland?

We have a number of 10's in varying degrees of form, quality and stage of development. Hopefully at least one of those will come good soon. We have very few ball-playing / play-making 12's. He may have more chance of playing for Ireland by staying at Leinster and playing 12.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,182 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In a few places I've heard people discuss the first choice team (the team to face NZ) and in the second row they say something to the effect of "James Ryan plus one of the other options including Henderson, Baird, Beirne. Why is Ryan still considered the first choice? Henderson was chosen to go on the Lions this year ahead of Ryan and so was Beirne (but he covers 6 as well).

Is Ryan still our best second row at the moment (over the last year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I agree completely. Ryan's form over the past year should in no way ensure his place in the starting XV. Both Henderson and Beirne have been far more impressive with Beirne being, in my opinion, our best player last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Depends who you ask. IMO its Henderson, but he hasn't played a lot since the Lions.

Personally I'd be surprised if the second row against NZ was anything other than Henderson and Ryan. I don't think Baird is in the conversation for that match. Farrell might move Beirne in there, but I doubt it. Ireland's best performances happen with Henderson and Ryan together and Beirne at 6.

In my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah I think in second row, Ryan and Henderson have more physicality in the tight and Beirnes skills are more suited to 6(though is is quality in the row as well). I think the 3 of them could start vs NZ.

While Ryan had a bad patch last year, I think he's looking back to his top form lately. He's doing a serious number on opposition line outs as well.

I had a feeling that Gatland was going to use Beirne as a bench option because of his versatility, I'm wondering is Farrell thinking along the same lines, we'll find out next week I suppose.

For NZ I'd go

4 Ryan 5 Hendo 6 Beirne 7 VDF 8 Conan 19 Baird 20 Dorris

Over the last year, no, Ryan hasn't been up to his usual standards - but he hasn't been playing badly either. He had a lot of injuries last season so never really got going.

But he's started this season very well and if he's performing in training I'd be surprised if he's not picked.

My guess is Ryan & Henderson. Beirne had a great Six Nations but a lot of that was at blindside and he was picked for the Lions exclusively as a blindside. My guess is that is where we'll see him in ten days time.

I don't think anyone believes Baird is in the mix for a starting jersey at all.

I agree Beirne at 6 is likely but it’ll be very tough on whoever doesn’t make the match day 23 out of Doris and Coombes. I’d expect Conan to definitely make the 23 anyway with how he did for the Lions. 3 excellent number 8s we have at our disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

For all the abuse Sexton is getting he is still our best 10 yet you pick POM who I am not sure I would put in my top 7/8 backrows now. What exactly does he add these days bar odd lineout steal, alot of Gurning when there is a bit of argie/bargie, He makes very few tackles and carries poorly. Beirne does everything alot better would have Coombes/VDF/Timoney/Doris/Beirne/Conan/Connors (I know injured) even current Leavy ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

For NZ I'd go

4 Ryan 5 Hendo 6 Dorris 7 VDF 8 Conan 19 Bierne 20 Pom

For jpy id go.

4 Ryan 5 Bierne 6 Coombes 7 Timoney 8 Conan 19 Henderson 20 Doris

He struggled at 10 a few times, threw quite a few intercepts and got alot of kicks blocks. He does better at 12 with the little bit of extra time he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,182 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I agree with all that (he wasn't playing badly and is on better form this year) but i think it's interesting that Ryan is the first second row on the sheet and the other second row is up for debate. I think Irish people convinced ourselves that Ryan was the new Paul O Connell and even when his performance dipped, we didn't acknowledge it because we had just gotten into the lazy habit of presuming he played brilliantly (Paul O'Connell-esque) in every game. I think a lot of people were shocked when he didn't make the lions selection and even now we're already back to assuming he's the best second row. Henderson regularly captains his club side and goes on the lions but has to fight for the second place in the second row behind Ryan.

The responses above show that not everyone is blind to his dip in form and are judging him on his current performance level (which is pretty good). I think he is just assumed to be the best player and the only way he doesn't start is if he's injured. I also think they're trying to shoehorn him into captaincy which i don't think he's suited to at all from the look of it, but that's another story.

The form winger is actually Mack Hansen, what I like about him is that he also played a good bit at outhalf for Brumbies so obviously has a very good skillset which some of our wingers lack. Be shocked if he was picked though but might be a good bench option as could cover a number of positions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"Beirne had a great Six Nations but a lot of that was at blindside"

The majority of his minutes were from the 2nd row, tho. For me, his 3 best performances were v Wales (2nd row), France (2nd row) and Scotland (6). He was good vs Italy (6) and England (2nd row).

I suspect it will be 4. Henderson, 5. Ryan, 6. Beirne but I wouldn't be completely surprised if Beirne starts in the row either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Advertisement