Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Estate agents finally admitting that the heat has gone out of the market (I saw the signs in July and posted about it).

Huge jump in new house completions and new house starts (again, this was showing in July) and numbers will be way way above projections earlier in the year.

Shows that

#1 - Never ever ever believe the hyped up crap in the media

#2 - Never ever believe the rubbish that comes out of an estate agent's mouth

Your own eyes will give you the correct info - I simply saw about 12-15 new developments start in Naas/Newbridge/Kildare and huge progress on the sites and a quick totting up gave me a figure of almost 3,000 new homes (very few apartment) in that area alone that would be completed over the next 12 months.

Add in Maynooth, Kilcock & Celbridge and you are not far off 5,000 completions

So don't get attached to a particular house during bidding as there will be plenty of others coming on stream and I suspect there will be 40,000+ completions next year. (Current industry estimate is 33,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

You usually get a closing date once the contracts have been issued for both the vendor and the buyer to sign. If it helps any bit, I went sale agreed at the very end of April and didn't get the keys until the first week of September, and the apartment was vacant and neither myself nor the vendor were in a chain. That being said, the delays were down to a mixture of my own solicitor, the vendor's solicitor and my mortgage advisor all taking annual leave at different times during the process, and the vendor's solicitor was also quite slow at getting some documents to my solicitor too. My advice is just keep on top of it if you can and don't be afraid to phone/email your own solicitor every few days to ask for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

If anyone wants a chuckle, a couple of weeks after we moved into our house we got a flyer in the post from the local estate agents (the one we bought through) advertising houses in the area that had been sold recently with a polite prompt that people are buying in the area etc and to consider selling. Once of the houses was our one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Thanks for the feedback adn tips! I will start chasing them more, the EA is getting noticibly frustrated, informing us that our soolicitor is taking 2+ weeks to respond to the sellers solicitor. Really puts us in a akward situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We only outbid the other bidder by 1k which means if we went looking for a discount for any reason at all then the Estate Agent had the phone number of somebody who was willing to swoop in ... For that reason, no - I wouldn't try to haggle even in times of low house prices. If the engineers report told me anything I didn't want to hear then I'd look for my deposit back and find somewhere else, even with this market.

Now if the Estate Agent/vendors subsequently offered a discount after that then I'd certainly engage with them but that ball would firmly be in their court. And the first thing I'd look for pre-engagement is the price of the engineers report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Got a message from the EA today saying the sellers were hoping to have all contracts signed this week and asking for our preferred closing date. It's been 105 days now since sale agreed but it finally feels like the end may be in sight for us.

Something I couldn't find a clear answer on online was, is it the expectation that the "closing date" will also be the date that keys are handed over? I assumed generally that it was but I couldn't find anything to make it certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Fantastic news! My understanding of closing date is also “getting keys date”. I hope it will be very soon for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Closing date is the date the sale is completed and the balance on funds transferred. Sometimes you won’t get the keys til the next day, e.g if solicitors have different banks, funds can be slower to transfer, or it goes through in the afternoon but the EA isn’t there to give out the key etc. Depends to some extent on your solicitor. Some are better than others about making sure the funds are in the other solicitor’s account on time.

Okay, I see. But I assume it's still generally just a case of 1-2 business days then if they require funds to be received before handing the keys over?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

In my limited experience, once the mortgage is drawn down and sent, I’ve only seen a delay of a day or two for funds to transfer and the key to be released. Of course if it’s a Friday you could be waiting the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Signed the contracts last week. Had to go back in today to sign the loan offer.

Do i just wait now till the closing date.

Buying an apartment so have to get the bank indemnified on the insurance, again do i need the date before incan do this. I think i read my solicitor sorts this with the management company.

And finally. The mortgage protection, will i will need the date for this too. Have bonkers.ie ringing me the whole time very keen to sign this up offering me a month free if i sign up before the 7th.

Ah okay. The sellers have specifically said they want to close on a Wednesday to allow time for things like setting up their broadband before the weekend, so presume this wouldn't be an issue for us.

Yeah, the mortgage protection insurers need a start date on your policy, which will be your closing date. You can always choose an earlier date but you'll be paying for days you don't need to. Do you have a closing date yet? Even if you don't, it's worth going through the process for the mortgage protection and getting a final quote if you haven't already done so. They give an initial quote based on just the details of your mortgage but then do a lengthy followup process asking about your health, so it's better to get all of that out of the way early.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

Has anyone requested an extension to a letter of offer on a Mortgage with PTSB recently. If so could they advise of the current waiting time that would be great?

Seems like we could be finally there but the drawdown might hold things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Hey. Yeah. They call me and we are good to go now. Just waiting on the closing date now. Might just go ahead next monday anyway as get free month if i do and can still set it for a date in the future.

Does my solicitor just ask the bank for draw down now or request my deposit to be send to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'd the most mental of days last Thursday and Friday... on the back of 3 weeks of trips to a storage unit... emptying the house 1 room at a time.

Trying to empty the last of our stuff from my house on Friday... Buyers mad keen to get in, closing documents sent across, money due to be lodged BUT it went down to the wire Friday afternoon. All while my wife was still working on a laptop in an empty office. No one could be reached by phone (solicitors) - so we just emptied the gaff on the assumption it would close before close of business on Friday, which it did. Just after 5pm.

We were literally given a half hour to vacate. New owners were in the drive by 6pm.

Our "new" house isn't closed yet (equity from the sale above + remainder/mortgage drawdown TBC) so we are in with my folks for a week or 2. An EXHAUSTING process - but hopefully it'll all be in the rear view mirror soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

In a similar situation. Was due to close on yesterday. The house we are selling closed but bank wouldn't drawdown until a document was amended. Sent yesterday but there saying that it takes 3 days to review. In inlaws and kids can't go to school as too far away. Bit of an unexpected disaster. Of course all kinds of thoughts going through my head like what if the bank refuse last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

EDIT: screw it, just venting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tieing up the last few ends before drawdown and uploaded proof of home insurance and mortgage protection, set the start date as the date our solicitor indicated for closing out the sale when we signed contracts it's the 24th of this month. AIB replied back all was fine but no money can be released untill the 24th which is fine just wondering could it delay things? I assume our solicitor can still request for the funds before the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

usually the bank require mortgage protection and home insurance in place before they’ll release funds. It’s easy to say “oh I’ll have it in place before we get the keys” but most people don’t realise it needs to be in place for when you want to draw down the money. Therefore you’d prob be better pulling the dates for both forward to start a week before the 24th…

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭bleaks

Can you bid whilst waiting for AIP / Approval? Fairly sure we'll get approval it but it will probably be a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Most EAs will require AIP before they accept your bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

About to put my house on the market. Estate agent coming on Friday to discuss. A year ago had no intention on leaving Dublin but lockdown has put a lot of things in perspective.

Been spending the last month trying to get the house market ready. Biggest change is taking the paint off the red brick exterior bringing it back to original red brick/sandstone. Was quoted an extortionate amount so after researching on YouTube took it on myself and delighted with results and relatively cheap outlay. Had the whole interior painted about 18 mothns ago so just washed all the walls with sugar soap to bring back to newly painted look.

Biggest surprise is the amount of clutter, which have no need for. Currently bagging it up and have organised for someone just to take away (fully registered). Tomorrow going to finish off whitewashing the little back yard. As a guy living alone, might lack the (and I hope doesn’t come across as s3xist) feminine touches so my friend is going to come and help stage it with cushions and dressing the table etc to make it attractive for potential buyers.

From a valuation perspective I have a ballpark amount in mind but really going into the meeting with Estate agent a bit blind. From researching myhome.ie and daft.ie there is no really comparable properties. In my opinion it’s location is class. Schools, dart, village, sea etc on its doorstep but it also has its drawbacks (no garden) so that could impact.

I’ll try and keep thread updated on progress. Lot of useful information from posters which I’m thankful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fair play for putting a bit of work into it before it goes on the market, some houses you'd see for sale are in rough condition and I always think that if the owner put in a few bob and some elbow grease they'd get a bit more for the house when sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

So has anyone else noticing a bit of a slowdown in the market?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Very few properties coming up now in my Daft notifications, it has slowed right down over the last week in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

There are definitely fewer houses coming on the market. We are looking in North Dublin and this week so far no new (secondhand) houses appearing on the market.

Speaking from someone who just closed on a sale - the valuation the EA puts on it is to be taken with a pinch of salt!

We were hoping to make around 10-15K over the asking price on a house that was listed near 200K.

It sold for 48K over!!! We were GOBSMACKED! Timing, the weather, the condition of the house and MOST IMPORTANT the "luck" of the buyers & bidiing process are variables that really sell the house!

I'm in the same boat. Finally got a closing date (23rd instead of 24th) and also with AIB, and originally had started cover same date as yourself. However, was advised that the cover for mortgage protection should really start quite a bit earlier, ideally 10 days or more before the drawdown date, as it will need to actually have started before they can finish processing it (and banks being slow, you wouldn't want to just give it 1 or 2 days for risk of holding things up).

I'd call your insurer or broker an ask to move the start date forward on that.

You can. I have a friend who managed to go sale agreed on a probate without even talking to a mortgage broker. That said, to this day I'm mystified at how he pulled it off. My own experience in both bidding and trying to secure a new build is that without at least mortgage approval in place, you're treated as a tire-kicker and won't be taken seriously. So give it a go if you want, but I wouldn't be optimistic about your chances of getting anywhere.

Tbh, I'd ignore the asking prices on ads and look at the Property Price Register instead. Asking prices are guesses that may easily be overly optimistic or too pessmistic. The PPR will show what people are actually paying in an area (and you'll often find old ads still up on property websites if you search for the exact address on Google, in order to see the condition of the place). It won't be quite as up to date (since the latest ones will usually still be at least 2 months old) but it's real data.

Oh I hear ya! Luckily we are "sans" kids... so it's a bit easier to manage - for the moment. Keep the faith! It'l all work out - and when ye are sitting in the new gaff, all of this will be a distant memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ChampagneFever

We're sale agreed since the end of May (FTB) on a property which is a probate sale. We were told the probate would be granted in mid-November, however the vendor's solicitors now have come back saying the papers have not even been lodged in the probate office yet and that this could drag on for a while longer yet.

Our letter of offer is due to expire in December, so we will have to apply again. However, we are expecting our first child in January and my partner will be on maternity leave from then (without pay). Does anyone know where we stand here? Will bank tell us to jog on now?

Advertisement