Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Bailey tweeted this a few minutes ago...

Barely legible but seems to say that some families are being harassed to come forward with information. The suggestion is this is as a result of rumours on forums. I wonder if it is related to the Guard in Bantry?

If anyone has access to the article, the text would be appreciated.

Interesting, a couple of things stand out.

1. There are people crazy enough to travel across the country to confront unsuspecting families based purely on speculation online.
    2. The family of the Bantry detective flat out deny there is any truth to the deathbed confession rumour.

I'm all for brainstorming and theorising here but taking the law into your own hands to try and elicit a statement from someone who is related to a person who is rumoured to have made a confession to somebody else is taking things way too far.

That said, which one of ye was it? 🤣

Also it's frightening to think that these people were able to locate the family of a man who's name was difficult to find for most of us.

I think it's rubbish that they knocked on doors, personally.

This was leaked by the Gards to warn people off.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

There is no point in activity like this. The family of the deceased Guard from Bantry certainly won't talk, because they won't want to bring any bad light on them, regardless if the Guard in question is now dead. If they felt the need and peace of mind to talk, they would have by now. Remember it's been 25 years since the murder, and 20 years after the death of the Guard from Bantry.

Even if a member of the family would confirm the deathbed confession of this Guard from Bantry as correct, it would most likely have no further legal meaning. Bailey was never convicted in Ireland, so it wouldn't help him.

The issue Bailey has is with that court case in France and the international extradition treaty, which as only been ruled as not applicable in Ireland. Even with Marie Farrells wrongful whiteness statement, the French did never consider a re-trial, for whatever reason?

I wouldn't rule it out. Can't see the family bringing national media attention to themselves over a few posts here and on Reddit.

We all know the French trial was a farce, but it has been stated that a new trial would be started if Bailey was extradited. If he ever finds himself in France, he won't be brought straight to prison for 25 years. Or so they claim at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

A massive garda coverup from the local gardai to the crime labs in Dublin seems like a complete wild conspiracy theory.

There's no evidence the garda in question ever met or even knew of Sophie before her death. There's no evidence the garda was in the schull area on the day in question. There's no evidence of the garda at the crime scene or in sophies house.

Everything just seems based on some wild rumor that he confessed to the crime on his death bed and a blue fiesta car that he may have access to (unverified) but may not even have any link to the murder. It's not like it was witnessed at the crime scene.

Meanwhile there's a know woman beater who lives a 45 mins walk from Sophies house who lied/has no alibi at the time of the murder, had defence wounds on his hands and face and Joked/confessed to the murder to a number of people, but some people here refuse to believe he could have possible done it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bailey did not have 'defence wounds' on his hands and face. If he received wounds from Sophie during the assault, where's the forensics under fingernails etc etc

And the DPP was satisfied Bailey's scratches happened the day before as he described them.

There's no evidence of Bailey at the crime scene or in Sophie's house either. No motive.

Can you give us a list of all the known woman beaters in the area, their movements and whereabouts on the night in question, if it's such a key indicator of someone's guilt?

Can you give us a list of all the people who have made a joke in bad taste about the murder in the area?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

So there is no evidence for scenario A and no evidence for scenario B, but we should all just accept scenario B?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Your powers or deduction are frighteningly good. Ever thought of joining AGS? Are you any good at drawing sketches?

If Sophie put up a fight, than she most likely would have screamed, even more strange that Alfie and Shirley didn't hear anything. That is, if Sophie screamed at all. Maybe she was hit from behind unexpectedly, knocked unconscious and her wounds are just made to appear that she put up a defence? It's not impossible.

I don't think that forensics in Dublin did a bad job. They would have been from too far away, and sort of immune from whatever was going on on the peninsula. However I have my strong doubts about the local Garda. Getting Marie Farrell to a wrong whiteness statement, to supplying Martin Graham with drugs to get close to Bailey is a very clear indication of corruption and idiocy. In other countries any police officer or chief of police would lose their jobs over this.

Since you're mentioning rumors, on that one I agree with you strongly. We have absolutely nothing, on anybody, however that includes Bailey. No evidence and no witnesses connecting murderer to crime scene, no deathbed confessions, nothing. As we have nothing and everybody believes something must have happened, stories, speculation and theories are in abundance.

The story about a deathbed confession by a sexually overactive Guard is as realistic and credible as a drunk poet, writer and journalist hiking for 45 minutes one way and back to kill Sophie brutally, after one good night out in the pub drinking or the French hitman hired by her husband to cash in on the life insurance, or the ex lover or lovers from wherever they were from or Alfie or Shirley or the Ungerers being involved in some form or part of drug trafficking. Even the opinions on whether the murder was planned or unplanned differ greatly.

Thus rumors speculations and other theories will live on unless the unlikely event happens, and some new evidence turns up totally unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Like a prowler who was in the area, who states years later that the row started over a bottle of pilfered wine..?

And gives an exclusive to Nick Foster..

Mad Ted.

I would genuinely laugh out loud if that is the source of his new 'revelations'.

It is surprising that everyone seems utterly stumped as to who this ex prisoner source might be though. After all the endless wild and crazy speculation, no one can even hazard guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It could be anyone that was in the area at that time and ended up in a prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The problem is that the case has now gained significant popular opinion further to the TV documentaries in particular.

In a situation like this you will always have cranks emerging from the shadows. Opportunist journalists will gladly latch on.

The thing is, 25 years on, there won't be any new revelations, certainly not by any writer, journalist or poet. I also don't want to kill anybody's show here, but I can safely say that anybody should refrain from any future books on the subject like "Sophie's murder, what really happened, - the exclusive story" etc.. and that kind of talk.

Mysterious man, stalker, prowler, with dark coat, upturned collar, smoking a cigar/pipe and wearing a hat, having a full beard has been seen days before the murder at odd hours in the area....blablabla....... Bailey had never written such a book, as there was nothing he knew for certain, and the same would apply for anybody else who would attempt to do that, other than making money.......

After 25 years, I doubt they will ever be able to connect any murder weapon to the murder and to the site so that it could hold up in any civilized court. They couldn't do that 25 years ago, they can't now. Any witnesses or credible witnesses didn't exist back then, they don't exist now, and neither did evidence in form of DNA, fingerprints, hair, etc....

'hey don't exist now, and neither did evidence in form of DNA, fingerprints, hair, etc....' Thta's where forensic advances could make a difference between then and now.

• Advertisement

Sure.

Just for the exercise, what would we need to really convict somebody, 25 years later?

How about that poke for the fireplace which is still missing. Suppose it's ever found, with Sophie's blood on one side, and the finger prints of say Bailey at the other end of it? It'll be a good piece of evidence for a conviction, eh. Then we wouldn't have to speculate whether Bailey walked for nearly one hour over to Sophie's, killed her, and then back again after a night out in the pub, we actually had real evidence.

I presume Jules' house has been searched, same as Alfie's and Shirley's, and if Bailey really did it, he would most likely have discarded that poke somewhere, or thrown it into the sea, and wiped his fingerprints of before....

I don't think the poker was actually missing. It was just the hatchet.

Oh they thoroughly searched jules place and the studio, took most of Ians clothes and lots of other items. Not a trace of Sophie anywhere. Some items were further tested down the line too.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Thanks for that one. So it's the hatchet not the poker. Suppose the hatchet was used to deliver the first blow to Sophie, unless it can be found, traced to the killer as well as to Sophie, there is nothing one can ever do that could hold up in any civilized court to convict somebody.

Suggesting the killer was local, like Bailey, or Alfie or Shirley they would at least have hiked to any cliffs to throw the hatchet into the sea thus disposed of the murder weapon. It's unlikely that it will ever be found there. If the killer was using a car, like a Ford Fiesta and was from Bantry than the choices to dispose of the hatchet would have been even greater.

The bottle of wine or who was using the bath tub is only a minor thing one can speculate about, but in relation to a conviction it's basically nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You are more likely to find traces of the perpetrator on the victim than the other way round.

Stamping on the victim at or just after the time of death left an indelible mark which could be matched to the footwear of the stamper.

It's unlikely that any useful images of the body were kept and even if they were, I doubt any boots from potential attackers were collected and kept.

The state of the pathology dept. in Ireland at that time was pathetic, matched only by the incompetence/corruption of the Gardaí.

It's easy to research the state of the pathology dept. in the 90's an early 2000.

How many crimes were "solved" by fitting up an innocent person?

and how many more would there have been but for the DPP throwing them out?

I doubt there will be any new evidence in this case.

If the bottle can be traced to a suspect that wasn't supposed to be there it may be very relevant. Well work looking into.

Good points.

There's alot of crime scene and autopsy photos I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Your forgetting there woudnt have been any house searches done by the gardai until at least a month after the murder. Plently of time for anyone to dispose of a murder weapon or clothes.

If IB did do the murder i wonder now that IB and Jules are recently split up she may feel the need to unburden some new information. Would a possible written statement from her that shes helped IB cover up the murder be enough to convict him. She may in turn strike a deal with the authorities to get herself off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Honestly don't believe that would happen...if Bailey were guilty, Jules had more than ample reason and opportunity to testify against him...she steadfastly stuck with Him, which cannot have been easy...She knows he's not guilty....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If wishes were horses

Beggars would ride:

If turnips were watches

I would wear one by my side.

And if if’s and an’s were pots and pans,

There'd be no work for the tin smith's hands!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement