Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It was the basic tenet when we were trying to suppress this virus because we had no other way to control it. Vaccines have completely changed the landscape. We have opened up nearly all of society now and have 93% of the adult population vaccinated.

It's going to take a sea change in guidance but it makes zero sense for asymptomatic people to isolate because they are unlikely to spread as they are highly likely to be vaccinated.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

UK top scientist quits SAGE, saying the pandemic is a long way from being over.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10158061/Top-scientist-quits-SAGE-Britains-concerning-Covid-infection-rates.html

Slippery as always. It’s what you have been insinuating all day. Burden of proof is on you who is claiming safety was not adequately established despite multiple regulatory approvals and widespread use.

”I’m just saying” is not an absolution from bs

1 in 8 of the UK population (total population including under 18s) has now had a 3rd jab, which effectively takes those people out of the Covid picture according to the 3rd jab efficacy data. Would expect things to start to stabilise and fall consistently there now (which I think is what SAGE modelling is predicting). That’s the path we need to follow….just get 3rd jabs out there ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh our testing capacity is abysmal and it probably plays a part in our case rate. We get to what 25k a day before we need to send swabs to Germany. Somewhere like Denmark at their peak were capable of 700k a day between PCR and antigen. That is a massive difference for similarly sized countries. 25-30k a day should not be acceptable to be maxed out at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But does the effectiveness of the third jab not wear off after six months or whatever? And then rinse and repeat?

I don’t know. Haven’t seen anything on 3rd jab longevity. Guess it’s impossible to know yet as people haven’t had it for long enough to see any data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What's the plan with the boosters will it be in the vaccination centre's again? Are they still going actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Exactly. Cases in England have already stabilised, and are falling over the past 10 days. I'm not quite sure why some people here are already panicking about case numbers, lockdowns etc. To see the future, just roll out the boosters and look at Israel and England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

England has been open all summer and was heavily criticised for this. Undoubtedly they have far higher levels of natural immunity in the population due to this decision to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

I think antigen tests should be encouraged if we have any hope of avoiding another lockdown.

I understand NHPETs apprehension on the antigen tests due to false negatives and people moving around with symptoms and a false negative tests but surely it would catch some infections that are brewing?

I was browsing online for antigen tests and this is from an online pharmacy located within Ireland. These prices are **** scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

They've been using some of them for the schools vaccination programme anyway. Young fellow had his HPV and TDAP the other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the word you're looking for is "enough", as in 'not preventing infection and transmission enough". By all measures, the reduction appears to be about 8-fold based on R which is probably more than adequate for a non-sterilising vaccine, however this isn't enough to get cases reducing (it seems to be fine for hospitalisations so far though).

I would argue that while you can look the trials up and down in whatever funny way you do, that Israel has effectively done the safety trial for everyone and the results are really good.

Wer're bloody lucky that the vaccine effectiveness against waning can be boosted so easily for the vulnerable and will hopefully remove the need for further lockdowns.

Yeah I agree about boosters for the vulnerable.

I think the other post above hits the nail on the head re: rapid testing. It's a disaster if we need level 5 lockdowns again, and I think the only way to avoid this right now is widespread/cheap/free rapid testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Toys out of the pram, like a lot of people who relish the misery. Many can't face that the emergency element to the pandemic is over and it is less of an urgent situation, being far more manageable. That guy who resigned; good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

I completely agree with you on mass antigen testing. The thing people misunderstand with them is that they are fairly poor at reporting false positives, whereas in multiple studies they’re shown to correctly determine negative results at 99.4%

Who cares if you get a false positive, just book in for a PCR to confirm

When I was last over in England I brought back 5 packs of 7 tests, they were free at any chemist!

One report below:

Different brands of tests varied in accuracy. Pooled results for one test (SD Biosensor STANDARD Q) met World Health Organization (WHO) standards as ‘acceptable’ for confirming and ruling out COVID-19 in people with signs and symptoms of COVID-19. Two more tests met the WHO acceptable standards (Abbott Panbio and BIONOTE NowCheck) in at least one study.

Using summary results for SD Biosensor STANDARD Q, if 1000 people with symptoms had the antigen test, and 50 (5%) of them really had COVID-19:

- 53 people would test positive for COVID-19. Of these, 9 people (17%) would not have COVID-19 (false positive result).

- 947 people would test negative for COVID-19. Of these, 6 people (0.6%) would actually have COVID-19 (false negative result).

I completely agree with you on mass antigen testing. The thing people misunderstand with them is that they are fairly poor at reporting false positives, where’s in multiple studies they’re shown to correctly determine negative results at 99.4%

This has been really poorly communicated in media, where it's implied that false positive rates mean they're not useful. Or even just reporting accuracy, which is useless here. They have low rates of false negatives and it seems like that's all that matters right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Miriam fantasizing about restrictions coming back with Donnelly on prime time now

No we don't have a number says Donnelly regarding "putting back on the brakes", he doesn't seem to think we will need restrictions

WHY??? shrieks Miriam

Miriam want's "smaller restrictions now" to save Christmas!!!!

She now claims "lots" of places don't ask for vaccine certs.

Donnelly is actually a voice of reason with this nutter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Miriam on Prime Time - boost everyone over 18?! This is quite frankly disgusting, boosting healthy individuals who don’t need it & allowing healthcare workers in poorer nations get infected & risk their lives.

When is the penny going to drop that the Covid passport is a complete waste of time. It’s just a tool going to be used to force boosters on people. It doesn’t stop the spread of Covid…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

We can't be that far behind them. We've had pretty high infection rates for the last few months, and high vaccination rates.

Yes, England may well have made the right call (with hindsight) but it was a risky call and we were a month or two behind them on vaccinations so we couldn't really have opened up when they did.

• Advertisement

The vaccines have worked fantastically well. Less than 100 in ICU after months with 1000s of cases a day. The illness is essentially the sniffles for most now. It always kind of was anyways.

Time to knock it off with the Covid theatre and get on with life.

The more cases the better. We should have opened in May like the UK and let it rip as much as possible.

She wont give it up

She wants a "few restrictions" to save Christmas

Hopefully, problem though is that they opened fully at a time when respiratory viruses tend not to proliferate. I'd guess that this would attenuate rates of spread, rates in hospital etc. Look at their increase in cases/deaths after "freedom day" then imagine this happening instead during flu season when hospitals are generally snowed under anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Never seen her so animated

She seems actually desperate for a lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

"just a few restrictions"

Easily said by someone whose income isn't ever in doubt

Why can't he tell her where to put those case numbers? A whole pile of mild illnesses

Post edited by lawred2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Can we please ban the term "covid theatre"?

Where do people go for these help sheets of stupid slogans to plaster all over the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

I think these tests are the way to go.

People are walking around with colds and symptoms and self diagnosing colds without testing.

Perhaps these tests should be provided for free by the government to everyone and if people have some symptoms let them test at home and if they get a positive that they choose to ignore and carry on without a pcr and isolating, let people carry that on their conscious knowing that they are putting others at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭Azatadine

N/A

Advertisement