Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I find the right wing agenda of a large % of boards.ie posters interesting.

You don't see posters arguing that Ray Burke, for example, should be stripped of his citizenship. Without excusing the PUP fraud referred to in the OP, corrupt politicians cause more harm to the fabric of society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Burke_(Irish_politician)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The UK only stripped some former citizens of citizenship when they literally joined ISIS (and even then, I think some were allowed back). You are are talking s.hite in claiming that if someone found guilty of welfare fraud would be stripped of citizenship in the UK. Not that I'd be using the likes of the US or UK as examples in any case. They are both countries in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Well we know one thing, this lad isn't gonna pay a tap towards it like this idiot here.

Its really high time we start making examples of these wasters, Irish or imported Irish I couldn't care less, I for one am getting sick to my teeth of forking out for everything, getting nothing and these chancers laughing there socks off at us clowns paying out, working and playing life honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

The PUP was widely abused and I am sure more cases will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They are also Nigerian citizens with Nigerian passports .....

So because is the only reply

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My brother got a letter recently, seems like they overpaid him PUP so may owe up to 30k. He's claiming to have rang them and explained it all and they messed up by not taking him off the system, but he still didn't report that the payments were continuing. I've no doubt there will be a lot of cases for PUP fraud in the coming year or two.

Re: Just a drop in the ocean, correct, but all those drops from all the different people add up. So we should go tooth and nail after everyone who defrauds. And we need to change citizenship policies. Give it out, no problem, but if you start abusing the system or taking from the state, then I don't see why the state should honor your citizenship. Should be a term of acceptance, if you commit certain crimes, it gets revoked. People treating it like it's a right, it's not unless you were born in Ireland.

Correct.

One case here or there sounds insignificant. Mass fraud costs the state an enormous sum.

And it cares not an iota to me to argue that, if this state has been generous enough to award you citizenship status, that - if you defraud the state - you have to respect for that state. Take their citizenship off them and return them back to their home countries. Perhaps, then, they'll think twice about defrauding a generous country.

And not only that, they do a disservice to the other potential citizens who, in the end, didn't manage to secure citizenship - but who may well have been law abiding and a contributor to Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People treating it like it's a right, it's not unless you were born in Ireland.

A child born outside Ireland to a parent who was an Irish-born Irish citizen has a right to automatic citizenship from birth.

And a child born outside Ireland to a parent who was an Irish citizen born outside Ireland has the right to claim citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

stupid welfare state pissing money down the toilet, these guys just found an easy target we should be thanking them for exposing our lax system we need to reform this dysfunctional waste of money and provide better sevices for high taxes paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And that's where it's wrong, imo. Only people born in Ireland should automatically get citizenship. Just because you are Irish, doesn't mean your kid should get it if they're born in another country. Again, just my opinion.

They didn't expose the lax system.

The lax system exposed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I am an Irish-born Irish citizen. My daughter was born outside Ireland, and 4 years later my son was born in Ireland.

Do you actually think my daughter shouldn't be entitled to citizenship, while my son would be?

Post edited by osarusan on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Citizenship isn't a right but if you have it, you have the right to be treated as a citizen and get all the rights that come with citizenship. People on this thread are literally advocating for a tier system of citizenship whereby naturalized citizens not "ethnically Irish" are subject to having citizenship revoked based on behaviour, that's discrimination plain and simple and it's going down an extremely dangerous path.

Only if you say so.

Many of us say the opposite, and with good reason, too.

What's lawful does not always translate with what's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's not good reason. It's cut and dried discrimination.

And its laughable to be talking about 'what's right' when treating people differently in this way.

Citizenship probably can't be revoked. Maybe we need to stop giving people citizenship, then. Many countries do that, even for long term residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Similarly of my three children two were born in countries other than Ireland (one in Britain, one in Kenya) when I was briefly living in those countries - we were in Britain for 5 months and Kenya for two and a half years. Would they be considered non-citizens? How reasonable is that. What if someone was on a weekend trip to another country and the baby made an early appearance, would they be returning to Ireland with a little foreigner? Could the baby be refused entry to the country? Opinions should be backed up by at least some thought on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh but it does work that way. The very fact that citizenship granted through naturalisation can be revoked by law means that there are two tiers of citizen.

True - as happened with that ghastly Islamic terrorist in the UK, Shemima Begum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No. Just a PPS number and your bank details, as far as I can remember. But we have to remember the state set it up in an emergency, they didn't have time to develop security protocols.

As I said, I was on it for 2 weeks. But it turned out I was not meant to be on it. I was losing my job anyway and we were unsure if our former employer were covering us. It turned out that they did and when I signed on the dole a few weeks later they whipped the 2 weeks back.

Later in the year I was applying for tax back and revenue had no idea I was on PUP for 2 weeks. They asked and I gave them an honest answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Yes I agree with everyone that said we shouldn't be importing problems for ourselves.

I fully accept that.

The way PUP scamming works though is very simple, you have an address and a PPS number and just claim. It is highly likely that the majority of PUP scamming is being done by people living in or from the UK, as there has always been a close connection between the two nations. Most people have family/friends in the other which would make scamming the system very easy to do.

But we're not zooming in that, cause those people are white.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Shamima Begum was a British citizen by birth, not by naturalisation.

And that citizenship was justly removed.

The same principle should apply to other dual passport holders who have committed egregious crimes in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I can't see any reason for punishing dual passport holders more severely than single passport holders for the same offence. The number of passports you hold doesn't affect the gravity of the offence in the smallest degree, and adopting this arbitrary criterion will mean that the severity of punishments will be skewed in a way that is disproportionately related to the race or ethnicity of offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭noel50

in my view yes are they going to pay back the money ? if you are given citizenship by having a child there must be rules like Australia have if you break the law especially violent crime you are out end of

Have to comment on this. How quick are people to run out the Racist card.

It's a very simple way of generalising people you dont know.

It's a problem in Ireland today. I havent met many racists in this country I've been abroad and have met plenty.

Skin colour or not these guys were given citizenship on trust given pup on trust.

It was abused on both counts. So simply remove the privilege of both.

It's not a race issue. Its financial.

I ask anyone who thinks its racist to research what would happen if this were the case in other countries in the world.

90% of the cases would be 1 it wouldnt happen as the tax system would be more respected/ feared. 2. You would be booted out the door ASAP.

I think it's time people respected personal consequence and stopped hiding behind social labelling.

And what's wrong with that?

If a Somalian is given an opportunity to develop a life in this country, for example, and they've lived here for 5-years and earned Irish citizenship, then of course we should abolish that citizenship if they have been found to have committed an egregious crime: fraud, murder, burglary etc.

This country, like so many in the western world, lacks a backbone on these matters.

It matters nothing to me that what the existing law states, because that law is morally wrong. That law should be changed to allow for the removal of citizenship in the above cases, including this PUP case of fraud, so that we can deport those that have spat in the face of the host country.

It would also set a precedent to other aspiring citizenship holders that, if you think you can get away with a crime, there are serious consequences if you choose to commit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

You think it's morally wrong to treat all citizens as equal?

• Advertisement

We all favour treating everyone equally.

I'm in favour of punishing some people more than others.

If you were awarded citizenship and committed serious fraud, you have effectively committed 2 crimes: first the crime itself, and second, a crime against the country who was gracious enough to award you that citizenship to begin with.

So yes, we must factor that in accordingly in cases like this.

Advertisement