Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he never said he wants the population to be 10 million. he said we need to plan for it. your arguments about being delusional are somewhat ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

One of the Greenies was on VM1 last night saying everyone should retrofit thir houses over the next few years, easy for her to say that when she earns 100 k a year.

We are going to be sending 200 million a year over to tin pot corrupt countries according to Mickey Martin to help them with climate change, more in his line to spent that money on his own over taxed citizens to fund the cost of this retro fitting they want us to do.

I'm not a SF voter but Mary Lou was on afterwards and made the valid point that hammering all of us with carbon taxes over the next 10 years isn't really the way to convine the people to change the way we do things.

Haha, for a moderator your doing some amount of mental gymnastics there. Why would we plan for it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you ever planned for anything that probably will happen in the future? do you understand what 'plan' means?

e.g. if i pay for insurance on my car, does that mean i am hoping my car will be stolen?

Why would you plan for it? What you should do is simply not allow it by controlling immigration properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

COP26 is a joke, all politics and show.

I hear Micheal Martin talking at it today...."we can have a more biodiverse planet, a cleaner planet" yada yada...

Do they not get sick of talking such rubbish?

Does anyone care what the leader of Ireland says? Heard it once, heard it a million times.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭carfinder

Absolutely, based on current demographic trends you would need to plan on enabling such population growth because its not happening naturally. The comparison with insurance is silly at best - insurance is risk mitigation, paying a premium hoping the insured event doesn't happen, not planning for it - silly, silly stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

This COP26 meeting has taken posturing and posing to a new level.

One by one the sheep take to the podium to give their little speech and preach to the pheasants with their private jets outside.

All out giving interviews to their local media stations telling them how much they have achieved and how well things are going.

Meanwhile, the biggest polluters in the world are sitting at home laughing their heads off at them.

People need to wake to fook up to what these clowns are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They are heating the gravy for the cronies, think of all the shady contracts that'll be handed out under the guise of Green projects,

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Yep, just like the homeless crises, big business nowadays,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The room was about 10% full listening to him. They have to be seen at least talking a good game. There is absolutely zero chance of any of these targets being met and they all know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Eamonn the wall eyed wants us to reduce everything but also plan for a doubling of our population? Do you reckon he wants us to plan for an increase in our cattle herd? Car ownership? Either Eamonn thinks mass immigration is a good thing or its an inevitable thing. Funny that, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ok, lets pretend for a minute that you and all of your 'skeptical' friends were Taoiseach and Ministers in the Dail, and had complete control over government policy.

What would you do to address climate change.

When faced with a global environmental crisis, you think the distorted version of what you believe one man 'wants' is the most important thing to talk about.

Interesting

If there was a ELE Asteroid proven to hurtling towards the earth, that we know will hit us and cause global devastation within the lifetimes of our children, would you waste decades complaining about who has to pay the taxes to build the mission to save the planet????

Probably, yeah, that sounds about right.

not sure if it's worth engaging. they want to believe ryan wants the population to increase by 50%.

the problem with Irish greens is that it is a middle class movement. We need more carrot and less stick, and carbon tax is stick. And regressive stick at that.

Why do we not have some mechanism of passing on reductions to consumers, if the wind blows. If people's bill is coming down, then they will support more build out of renewable energy

The world can handle a much greater population actually. And in fact the disaster that is facing Europe and the West is low demographics.

I agree, we need public buy in, and we cannot allow the idea that environmentalism is just about raising taxes to become so entrenched.

I think every carbon tax should be revenue neutral, and offset by direct grant payments to citizens so that money raised in carbon taxes are returned to the people.

We will need investment on top of this, and this should be funded by government borrowing and ECB instruments that finance both European and LDC infrastructure requirements to adapt and mitigate climate change.

The costs of not acting are many times higher than the costs of acting now, so in the long term, any arguments that borrowing is a burden on future tax payers is completely reversed.

Not investing now is a much bigger burden on future tax payers as the costs of not limiting climate change have been known to be much higher than the costs of preventing it

The world may be able to 'handle' a bigger population, but given how 3/5ths of the current population live in poverty in what we might look back on as the golden age of human industrial civilisation, what conditions will a 10bn population be living in if we don't seriously change how we manage economic activity, distribution and pollution?

How do you propose we provide a decent standard of living for 10bn people globally without reducing consumption in the 'developed world'?

Do you think the current system where some people have millions and billions of euros of wealth, while billions of people have practically no wealth at all, is a sustainable model?

• Advertisement

mostly from migration...are these future irish citizens never to be allowed visit their families at home ? Or are they to cycle back with the kids In tow over 6 months?

Are the Irish spread across the globe from the gfc era mismanagement not to be allowed visit home?

Or carbon taxed so much that it is an impossibility?

Are people going to happily return to holidays in Sligo, Donegal, Wexford, Kerry etc and risk their precious Time off to the Irish summer weather? If they can afford it. Of course that means taxing the cheap sun holidays far higher than the holidays at home

Having Uranium is no good on its own, it has to be reprocessed into nuclear fuel. Which Ireland can't do, or safely transport uranium to a reprocessing facility

My main point is that Nuclear as it currently operates, is not suitable for a market of 2 million households + limited industry

Not to mention the costs and time scales associated with building a Nuclear power station from scratch with no infrastructure. We wouldn't be getting anything online before 2050 if we tendered for it starting today

Where can we build a nuclear power plant that won't be caught in a planning quagmire for decades?

Its taken that long just to build some inert pylons and agree a route for interconnectors and high density power lines

If we had started this discussion in 1990 it might gave made sense, but back then, cause of all the 'skeptics' the 'debate' was still being derailed by nonsense about whether climate change was even real (despite the overwhelming consensus of scientific studies agreeing that it was already a crisis)

you're just being incoherent now

BTW, what will happen to the climate refugees of the future. When Calais becomes full, what will we do?

Stick our fingers in our ears and rant about Eamon Ryan?

Green activists are trying to stop climate change so that tens of millions of people a year are not forced to leave their homes, with nothing, to flee their uninhabitable environment. You don't want us to do anything of substance, so what will we do with the refugees?

I'm not skeptical at all. I've already stated what I do for climate change which I believe is a hell of a lot more than most. Why do people like you keep making stuff up? Where have I ever said I was skeptical?

What I did was simply point out what the leader of the Greens said, at which stage a moderator decided to bang on about the green party's manifesto for some unknown reason, which I never once mentioned....

You can't engage because you can't make a valid argument with what was said.

You are not going to get the poor parts of the world out of poverty without economic growth. If you believe the world has reached its economic limit then they are stuck there. I don’t.

the existence of billionaires bugs me too, but guess what - most green policies don’t affect them, and plenty of rich people (like Prince Charles)) support measures that are punitive on the poor and middle income groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

All these talks about cutting emissions by 2030. Yet the global population is projected to grow approximately 1bn by then.

That's roughly 13% increase in emissions if we just stayed at our current rate.

They should offer 50k to anyone who gets a vasectomy or tubes tied under the age of 23. You'd have people lining up for them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The big population growth is projected in Africa, 1bn in Nigeria alone by then.

Not much good paying Mary and Joseph to get sterilised when Africans are having 5+ children per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What I find interesting is that Eamonn and the hysterics want Ireland to play its part in preventing a climate change disaster but doubling our population is not an issue for them.

Funny that. It's a very selective approach to preventing impending doom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The Eamon Ryan /Joan Burton school of economics.

Don't limit the migrant numbers. We can build 2 million more social houses.

Peter Sutherland was at it too when he was alive and Geldof is still at it. Shouting from their Ivory towers in London.

"Bring 'em all in."

We have too many politicians with their heads up their asses.

Does Ryan not realise that in order to build those social houses, the countryside is going to have to be concreted over? Very green. 🙄

Advertisement