Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

The point is that they are two separate questions, not to be conflated with one another.

Citing GB News viewing figures as an argument that the British population are against Brexit is the most absurd thing I've yet seen on this thread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just on this one - Claiming that the personal Social Media accounts of the presenters is a good things for GB News.

MercyMuroki - Twitter followers growth declined 34% in the last month.

PatrickChristys - Twitter follower growth declined by 62.3% in the last month..

Having said that , at least they are adding followers, albeit very slowly.

@nigel_farage is losing followers - Lost 64% more this month than the previous 30 day period...Oooff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The audience is enormous - and served by the existing, right leaning UK press.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're exactly the same. GB News was marketed as being anti-woke and yet virtually nobody watches it. A tenth of this country's population would be about 7 million people.

Why aren't they watching GB News? They know where they stand on "woke".

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hold on a second there...

You think that information is an indication that there is an "Enormous Audience" for an Anti-Woke content?

As always with you , those statistics don't say what you think they say... AT ALL.

The VAST majority of people don't even know what it is and most of those that do know what it is either have no opinion about it or think it's a good thing.

Only 15% of people in the UK think it's a bad thing - For clarity that means 85% of people are either ok with it or don't know/don't care.

Even at that GB News can't manage to muster 5% of them to watch their channel even once a month..

• Advertisement

Most don't even know what "woke" is, I agree.

• But they know what women's rights are.
    • They know what Brexit is.
    • They definitely understand the effects of mass immigration.
    • They know what political correctness is.

Whilst the slightly academic and middle class term, "woke", is not fully understood - the sub-topics that it covers or relates to is very much understood by the ordinary worker on the street.

But when you lump all the statistics from YouGov together, only a weak 12% fully identify with the extremist verb, "to be woke".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Still begs the question of why someone thought a TV channel directed at 12% of the population was a good idea. It's been touted from the outset what GB News was for, or rather what it's against and nobody is watching.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

All that does is make the GB News performance look much much worse.

If in reality it is targeting this much larger slice of the public and not just the ~15% that are "anti-woke" then it's really not doing a good job at all.

As always with you , those statistics don't say what you think they say... AT ALL.

No, he knows exactly what they say. He's just trying to spin them into something that they aren't. Have a look at basically any of his posts on this thread to look at the comical Ali levels of pretending something is one thing when it is, in fact, quite the opposite. Hell, even take a look at that same post you've quoted for a couple of gems:

Interesting to see that Labour voters are similarly not enamoured to the ideology; with only 42pc believing it to be a good thing.

This leads the unaware to the conclusion that 58% see it as a BAD thing, ergo the sentiment of Labour voters is completely against 'wokeness' for want of a better word. This is a deliberate misrepresentation of the figures supplied. Further down towards the bottom of that graphic, it says that "42% seeing it as good, while 43% see it as neither good nor bad". The mathematicians among us can quickly deduce that 15% or fewer see it as a bad thing. So the numbers of good vs bad show the good side are 280% of the people on the bad side, but yet he's claiming it as a win. Delusional.

Next, we have the line:

The audience for Brexit, controlled migration, anti-woke, pro-women etc. is enormous.

Again, this leads the uninformed to deduce that the right are "pro-women" and the left are anti-women. This is clearly nonsense.

There are peer-reviewed scientific papers showing that Conservative policies make women more vulnerable to violence. Conservatives have been struggling to limit women's rights for literally centuries. The vast majority of Law enforcement in the US are right-wing conservatives, yet their incidence of spousal abuse is 4 times the national average in the US, with some 40% of police families experiencing domestic abuse. And that's before we get to that famously pro-woman champion of conservatism, Trumpelthinskin and his many, many soundbites on women who oppose him. Hell, he even had things to say about women on his side, notably Kellyanne Conway and Ted Cruz' wife.

Claiming the right are pro-women, or that they're more pro-women than the left, is just plain wrong. Spin it any way you want, but the facts don't back you up.

I never even went near the topic of abortion.

I've explained this before.

12% of the UK population self-identify as "woke".

But the majority of the population knows exactly where they stand re: mass immigration, law and order, PC culture, women's rights etc.

The term "woke" is only useful for those who understand it.

What matters is the broad range of topics that ordinary working people understand (see list above) - in language and terms they do use.

So yes, the market is enormous. If you feel that GB News should have higher viewing figures, then that's a question of the quality of GB News programming and not the existence of the market itself.

• Advertisement

You haven't. You've just shifted the goalposts and are insidiously using the term "pro women" to mask your obsessive loathing of trans people.

Since this market is clearly so massive, why aren't people watching GB News?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there is definitely a question mark over the quality of the GB News programming and the viewing figures bear that out.

So , we have arrived at a point where you have believe that GB News are muck but that the audience "definitely exists" and if only GB News weren't quite as crap the audience would be there.

A Schrödingers Audience if you will.

So what are all those people doing now?

Perhaps they all sit at home every evening watching BBC/ITV/C4/SKY et al fulminating about how terrible they are and thinking to themselves (a la "Points of View") - "Why oh why isn't there a TV station exclusively focused on all the things that make me angry!!"

Perhaps they are simply not consuming any media at all?

Or , maybe are they perfectly content with the offerings from the existing media outlets across the UK and just don't see the need for a new outlet laser focused on all the things that apparently annoy them so much?

I know where my money is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So either GB News has little appeal to the wider public and even then isn't being watched by most of the audience it does appeal to, or it has huge appeal nationwide and is only being watched by a minor fraction of those people.

The knots some people can tie themselves in is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So, anyone know which racist lowlife Mr farage will be entertaining tonight?

The guest name has not yet been released, but judging from his latest tweets, we can expect that the migrant crisis across the English Channel will feature heavily tonight, along with the COP26 summit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The far right loons will never be able to come to the realization that the moderate right and even some hard right are happy with current offerings because they are obsessed with the fervent belief that RTE, BBC and most laughably of all Sky are "left" and "woke"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,657 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I wonder does he ever get sick of listening to himself spouting the same shïte day in day out. I suppose when you're profiting from it though, it's easy do.

Ha I thought you were talking about Eskimo until the last bit

Must be a slow news day if he's resorting to this tired old xenophobic drivel again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Again, not a racist - the economist, Vicky Pryce will be appearing on Talking Pints.

So, just a convicted criminal then. That's much better.

Again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure driving offences dont count as a crime for esky.

Not when you have black footballers raising money for charity.

We all know who the criminal is right?

The driving offence that started it all was Chris Huhne. What Vicky got imprisoned for was perverting the course of justice.

Rather serious offence, hence eight month sentence.

Oh Dear, Farage really does have the best of the best on his show doesn't he?

One interesting thing with Pryce is that she has written a book proposing that women shouldn't be imprisoned. Not something I suspect many of GBNews's viewers agree with. But she's available and probably doesn't charge a lot...

• Advertisement

Do criminals deserve to be penalised twice - once in jail, and second, for the rest of their life?

Gino D'Acampo, the ITV chef, was once a burglar who served time. He's now one of the favourite celebrities in the United Kingdom.

Her past shouldn't be forgotten, but let's not get too haughty about how we treat certain people when they leave the confines of prison.

I agree, but what Farage tries to do with the show, I've noticed, is to attach himself to cultural conservatism, too - aspects of British culture that should be celebrated and promoted etc.

One guest later...

Former cabinet minister, Chris Huhne, and his ex-wife Vicky Pryce have both been sentenced to eight months in prison for perverting the course of justice.

The pair were convicted after she took driving licence points for him after he was caught speeding in 2003.

Pryce and the Liberal Democrat MEP husband were wrong, but this isn't mass murder we're talking about.

Pryce was interviewed twice by Essex Police in 2011 over allegations that, in 2003, she had accepted driving licence penalty points actually incurred by her then husband, Chris Huhne (then an MEP). In 2012 it was announced that both would be charged with perverting the course of justice.[29] Pryce entered a plea of not guilty, advancing a defence of marital coercion at trial. In March 2013, she was convicted of perverting the course of justice and was sentenced to eight months in prison, the same as Huhne. Pryce served her sentence at HM Prison Holloway.

After Huhne pleaded guilty, they both served nine weeks in prison.

"Do criminals deserve to be penalised twice - once in jail, and second, for the rest of their life?"

No, but they shouldn't be held up as some sort of bastion of "Britishness" either, I don't care about D'Campo either.

Again you're not seeing the point, Farage consistently has horrible people on as guests, what do you think that says about him, his show and the channel in general?

I just don't consider them "horrible people", that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,588 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This explains it very well I think, sure things are different in a non-US context but an awful lot is the same.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Oh my god, who said they committed mass murder? That's not on, no one should be saying that. I fully agree with you eskimohunt, whoever said they committed mass murder should retract their statement and apologise immediately!

I mean, I can't see any post where someone said that, so I assume they must have deleted their post, but eskimohunt must have seen it so there's no use denying it.

Unless of course, eskimohunt is just taking things to extremes to defend that regardless of the scale of the crime Vicky Pryce is still a convicted criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

What crime did Marcus Rashford commit that makes you not like the guy and compare him to a paedo?

When you think of horrible people, who are the top three people that pop into your head and what is it that makes them horrible to you?

Come on, all of us can bring up the same names - Hitler, Stalin etc.

Well the way you robustly come here and defend them every day, that doesn't surprise me in the least.

One of the things I've noticed re: Left versus Right; is that adherents to the Right see people as complex and multifaceted, with many different layers - some good points and some bad points. In the whole, a robust assessment that doesn't hinge on any one factor.

Whereas with creatures of the Left, it comes down to the almost kneejerk demand to find the tiniest, microscopic misdemeanour or quasi-controversial statement, and BANG! - that's it, we've found the gold dust; now eliminate that "person" from the annals of history (known in 2021 as "cancelling").

In the round, I see these guests at GB News as complex and often flawed - as most people are. You and others seem desperate to find the flaws, to assume the worst possible motive, then to attach one of the famous -ism or -phobia labels, and then to conclude by banishing these political opponents as pariahs that do not deserve an iota of attention.

• Advertisement

This part right here

"You and others seem desperate to find the flaws, to assume the worst possible motive, then to attach one of the famous -ism or -phobia labels, and then to conclude by banishing "

YOU were the one who jumped on the spectator article (did that ever come out???) And assumed "the worst possible motive" about Marcus Rashford, You were all over that and even (wether you admit it or not) likened him to some of the worst people out there. To this day you have never recently your sick statements and never apologised and admitted you were wrong so spare me the pearl clutching and the faux outrage.

You are a hypocrite and time and time again you have proven this to be right

That issue was discussed 150 pages ago or so, it serves no purpose to resurrect the dispute here.

I've made the point that guests on GB News should not be cancelled for making a politically incorrect statement, quasi-controversial statement, or who may have had a flawed past but who have done their best to make things up in the meantime.

You appear to see these guests as permanently evil, unworthy of existence.

That's the difference; and I've outlined the explanation for that in my previous post.

Just because you don't want to talk about your disgusting comments about Marcus Rashford doesn't mean you get to stifle debate about said comments.

You claim to see people as complex and multifaceted yet then immediately label some of those same people as 'creatures". You're not big on self awareness, are you?

I acknowledge that you take exception to my remarks last August, but my remarks then - as now - have been deliberately misquoted and robbed of all intended meaning. But that issue was buried many months ago; nobody is interested now.

On the flipside, I've put forward a reasonable defence of GB News guests, even those you find repulsive. I'd be interested to hear your response regarding my comments on that matter.

No you don't get to dodge and deflect because the subject is embarrassing for you. The facts are there for all to see

You took reports of a spectator article and ran with them, you blatantly accused Rashford of only doing charity work to make money. Even now to this day you refuse to admit you were wrong!

You then have the cheek to accise others of "assuming the worst possible motive" whilst doing the exact same thing yourself.

To this day there has been no spectator article and we all know it will never see the light of day because it was a hoax that they and you fell for hook line and sinker.

Hypocrisy of the worst kind.

Post edited by Timberrrrrrrr on

But I'm not embarrassed. The record is there for all to see, and I hope that others consult it to establish what was said and what wasn't said. I don't regret a word of what I said, I stand by it. Neither did I come to the conclusions you have drawn, either.

I'm interested in your comments about Rashford back in August. I'm more than happy for you to explain, in great detail, why it was okay for you to make all those comments and comparisons, but it's not okay for us to refer to Vicky Pryce as a convicted criminal, despite the fact that she is a convicted criminal.

Was her crime the worst crime ever? No, of course not. No one here has claimed otherwise, and most have explicitly stated what her crime was.

Now compare that to your treatment of Marcus Rashford. Comparing him to Jimmy Saville and Jeffrey Epstein under the guise of using charity for personal advancement even though those two names are obviously more well known for using charity as a guise for some of the most heinous acts possible. You used some of Rashfords tweets to imply he was hiding something while you continuously ignore or defend disgusting comments made by many GB News guests. And at the end of it all, when the Spectator article fell apart, you had nothing.

I'm sure many of us would be more than happy for you to outline why you're not every bit as guilty of what you're accusing "the left" of.

So why is it that only the right that need their own special news channel with no dissent whatsoever?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement