Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Yeah so let's crack on now and get back to normal. All im hearing is "worrying" and "concerned" everywhere pure covid scare mongering.

Fighting Irish my ass, should be the concerned Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yep get vaccinated and get on with it with, like you say it's clearly working.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Despite the large numbers of cases " largest since 16th January", hospital cases are about 25%, and ICU cases are two thirds that of mid January.

The reason for this is the success of vaccination in suppressing serious disease although it is still present in breakthrough cases in the vulnerable and predominantly in the tiny proportion of people who remain, unvaccinated.

The numbers of seriously ill is expected to drop very much in the next month once boosters for the older people are given and kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Scare tactics ramped up to the max today.

Holding back of swabs for a few days, just as the legislation is being extended.

State broadcaster out peddling the fear again with Miriam the icing on the cake tonight.

I was on a community meeting this evening online and literally the only thing, was de numbers, oh the numbers. We can’t do this, we can’t do that etc. Some of the members were in genuine fear.

Oh I think I will stay away from people until I get my booster and de numbers come down. Don’t feel safe out there.

It’s such a sad place that some folks have been beaten into. It’s going to take years to get some peoples mental health back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Covid theatre, hiding under the bed, hold firm, casedemic, we're all in this together, covidiots... all make me want to throw up a little. I'm sure I've forgotten plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

There are so many swabs for the lab technicians to examine. Therefore, it takes days to get test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,363 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who is driving the Covid doom scenarios on Prime Time and what is their reason for it? Purely deluded reporting, there's no going back now no matter what figures go up to.

My favourite is the general..

Well I'm bored of this and too ignorant to contribute to any solution so let's declare it over and move on or else this thing will last for eternity.

Believing that everyone else in the world is as incompetent as them so there will never be progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭bikeman1

They have the positive swabs back from the labs. They just don’t release them all everyday and a back log is created. There was a blame apportioned to the CIDR system that they use. But then they clear the backlog and keep on top again. There have been “backlogs” all the way through this, at low numbers in the 100s and now in the 3,000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I wish this was true but it's not. We are a Joooooooooooooe Duffy nation. If the media push the fear enough they will bring back some sort of lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

As of 8pm tonight

In hospital 458 (25 fewer than last night)

In ICU 90 (1 fewer than last night)

Last Tuesday at 8pm it was 482 and 99 for those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's great to see that hospital and ICU numbers haven't at least disimproved since last week - it's a welcome reprieve - but I will be, frankly, fcking amazed if it stays that way. I really think the succor people are getting from that is by no means guaranteed to be long term.

The question is whether they'll go up in a manner we can cope with or whether they will go up and up and up to the point where we can't.

We're heading into a period now that can't be adequately predicted. 90% vaccination, but, equally the virus spreading fairly liberally, approaching the traditional season for colds and flu - with society more or less open. It's uncharted territory and anyone that tells you with 100% certainty that they categorically know the score and can predict the future is absolutely full of shít.

We may muddle through, hopefully we will, I don't want to endure lockdown again or for people to become seriously ill or die on account of Covid, or on account of delayed procedures etc because our hospitals can't cope beyond dealing with Covid.

But, I'll be honest, I think cases are going to rise and rise and we'll get to a pinch point soon enough. It could be the end of this month, it could be in January - that's just the most likely scenario I can see potentially playing out. Is it guaranteed? No, but it's my gut feeling.

Even though vaccinations have, clearly, made a huge difference and the situation now isn't the exact same as 2020/early 2021 I do get a bad sense of deja vu reading through the thread and seeing a lot of "hospital numbers haven't gone up" type posts and people being very certain.

Post edited by Arghus on

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

It is abundantly clear that lockdown is not a sustainable or acceptable tool anymore and it should not be returned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Stay safe, this is us, brighter days ahead they should all be first to go, sure we spent over €300k on fcuking badges what a bunch of nut jobs running the country.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

This sums up my feelings about todays rise in covid cases. Its nothing to cheer about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

You have that backwards. Antigen tests have poor sensitivity. The danger is the high false negative rate they generate from users who are asymptomatic, or don't use the device correctly.

And the assumptions people make from the results. A negative antigen test does not mean you don't have the virus. Not to mention the assumptions people make about these tests performance, like you have.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7240272/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/25/uk-health-regulator-concerned-over-use-of-coronavirus-rapid-tests

Turnaround time is mostly around 30 hours.

Swab numbers are already completed tests.

The delays are with the HSPC going through each positive swab to determine if it is a new case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

The HSE report seems to verify the manufacturer's claims re: accuracy for at least one brand. Low false negatives. Although just for symptomatic

Which is another assumption people make. That all antigen tests are the same. They vary widely in performance by manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Right but laypeople's assumptions notwithstanding, HSE verified extremely high accuracy for at least a few brands, very low false negatives etc. I presume they could advocate the use of these specific brands, or discourage use of poor brands.

• Advertisement

Will people know or care about the difference in brands. If they're on sale or in their local chemist.

People also underestimate compliance.

Those that feel they are being responsible to use antigen tests are probably the people who are vaccinated, wear their mask properly, use sanitiser or don't ignore symptoms.

People who don't bother with public health measures, or sick of doing all those things, or think they're not necessary anymore are probably not going to bother buying or using antigen tests either. And are the people who will contribute to more cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“” The incidence of the virus among over-75s has begun falling. That's cause for optimism. A continued fall in cases among that age group would seriously benefit our hospital system.””

just sayin’

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The really terrifying thing for me now is that we’re 20 or so months in and so many still don’t get this time lag between cases and hospital/ICU.

I do have a bit more faith on long term efficacy of the vaccine and it’s ability to keep people out of hospital and crucially ICU. But we’re in uncharted territory. I’d still much rather be here than where we were 12 months ago.

I do feel that lockdowns aren’t the way to go at this point, but it needs to be on the table in the event that the hospital situation becomes completely unmanageable. And that is the ONLY reason why it should ever happen.

I actually fully expect that it won’t come to that though.

There is not and never has been a 28 day “offset” between cases and hospitalisations.

If anything as the booster programme rolls out the case to hospitalisation ratio will diverge further no that boosters are underway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It’s beginning to look a lot like a meaningful Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Agreed. Let's ditch the last of the covid theatre and get on with life.

Why settle for a meaning Christmas when we can have a normal Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭brickster69

Wow, looks scary that. Amazing when you put it into context over the duration of the pandemic how things look different, certainly gives some indication of pressure on the health services. Hopefully expecting a big fall in the next four weeks or so when all those 25 million who are at risk of actually going to hospital have received the booster. Should be 10 million of the most vulnerable done this weekend so that should make a big difference alone.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

You are right that there is a lag between cases and hospitals of I think about 4/5 days but there are also other variables at play.

• the profile of those who are getting Covid.
    • vaccination status - unvaccinated, one shot, 2 shots, booster shot.
    • underlying health issues.

It seems that a lot of the growth is in schools. This is having a further knock on effect in respect to work forces where parents will isolate as close contacts but there will be some slippage on this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My mother tested positive yesterday.On the phone in tears.In absolute bits.Worrid about what people would think, how awful it was, angry that it had been passed on to her (kids should all be wearing masks and not visiting, apparently).The works.

I asked her how she felt and the answer was fine (4 days into it).

She completely missed the point that that WAS the point.She was ok.She was not in ICU.It didn't actually matter that she had covid.But it's been painted (to that generation -in her 60s) as the end of their life, it's all their own fault if they catch it, they were breaking rules....they can't actually see the wood from the trees at this point.

A complete indictment of Irish society - leadership and the media.

• Advertisement

Ah I don't see current restrictions effecting Christmas too much.

Just no steps backwards please. Would be tough to take.

Maybe more will take up vaccine and help with the hospital pressure.

Advertisement