Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If the British keep wrapping more and more products in the flag it's going to be very hard to find stuff. You'll go in looking for toilet paper and come out with nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sainsburys do it too, it's not new, they've just gotten worse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems the French fishing row is still simmering and "hasn't gone away, you know" according to a No.10 spokesman tonight, and it also appears they (the Brexiteers) are plotting further machinations with the Protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It is kind of ironic though, given that the union Jack represents the UK, which includes NI and Scotland, and Brexit is very likely rapidly hasten both the reunification of Ireland, and the secession of Scotland from GB

They can wrap their identity in the union jack all they like, Its only going to further alienate Scottish and Irish Nationalists, and anyone who can see through the jingoistic propaganda. in a few years, it could be an obsolete historical anachronism where not even English Nationalists respect it anymore, and St George becomes the catalyst to spur on Welsh independence movements to complete the collapse of the British empire.

So I gather Macron is holding off for further talks. Wouldn't be so optimistic, given how productive talks have been so far. Do we think someone has persuaded Macron to tone it down for the time being? Focus on the long game?

• Advertisement

Apparently, Frost is going to meet Clement Beaune (French Europe minister) on Thursday and Sefcovic on Friday but it appears they are plotting something re. the Protocol, perhaps a big blow up in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

FWIW I was in LIDL today and saw crisps on sale and I’ll quote

’hand cooked in Norfolk’

and ‘BRITISH POTATO CHIPS / ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ARTIFICIAL ‘

there was no flag though

it was one of those bigger bags and I would describe them as crisps not chips. ( I know that’s what the Americans call them)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Jersey issued 49 more fishing licences to French vessels on Monday, 24 hours before the French-set deadline for more fishing licences to be issued. It's not everything the French want, by any means, but it's a significant gesture. Macron's step back is understood to be a gesture in response.

Which is not to say that there might not be voices within the EU also encouraging him to rein it in a bit — I think there probably are. There's a lot of sympathy and support for Macron in the 27, but I think the dominant view is that, if there's to be a major bust-up between the UK and the Union, better that it be clearly the UK that starts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Exactly, Sugary solution from China with a small mix of real honey from European hives.

Not necessarily. Honey is a seasonal product, so it could be that at some times of the year they are selling you honey sourced in the EU, and at other times honey sourced elsewhere. Or they may be selling you different blends of honey from various sources at different times of the year in order to provide a consistent product flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No, he is correct in his summation.

There are not enough producers in Europe to meet demand and the non EU honey is primarily from China. To describe it as honey is a very loose use of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My memory is a bit hazy, but I am pretty sure there was a time here when there was considerable 'plastering' of Irish flags all over local products in supermarkets in a 'Buy Irish' campaign. I think it had to stop due to EU regulations, someone else may have a clearer recollection.

Yes this was it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_v_Ireland_(1982)

It looks as though the UK is just doing one of the very few things that it now can as a non-member.

The Guaranteed Irish campaign didn't involve flags - there was a logo which was based on the letters 'g' and 'i'.

It looked like this:

The Irish campaign fell foul of EU law because it was using public funding to promote Irish goods over other EU goods, giving them an uncompetitive advantage. A revised version of the campaign, not reliant on public funding but industry-funded and operated, is still going.

What's going on in the UK at the moment is not like the old Guaranteed Irish campaign and is not something that requires Brexit to operate. The government is not paying supermarkets to plaster union jacks all over their products; they are doing it voluntarily and at their own expense because they reckon there is a marketing advantage to be had. They could have done this at any time; EU law does not forbid retailers from drawing attention to the origin of their products, provide they do so in compliance with product labelling requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm pretty sure there were flags involved at some stage, I remember them on groceries, I might have the wrong actual event, but it did happen.

I agree the UK stuff is way over the top, but its not something I can get worked up about, its their business, a bit silly, but if that's what they think will work then so be it, I would imagine for a lot of people it would be counter productive. I do think the vast majority of the population is so depressed and apathetic at the moment they are not likely to have an opinion one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I would disagree Looksee. The supermarkets are not doing this out of some love for the flag. They are doing this because market research is telling them that it is what people want. Could that research be wrong? Yeah, but the evidence would suggest otherwise. The Government can basically get around any issue by saying that it is about being British. Look at the vaccine roll-out. The death rate, the awful handling of the pandemic was washed away with cries of how great the UK was, how terrible the EU was, how the vaccine was British.

There is a massive amount of nationalism, carefully managed by the media and the government, It allows the government to basically get away with anything under the tent of nationalism. It is clearly working. While many people might be overall apathetic to it, they are also not going to want to stand up or stand out. So that allows it to become the accepted norm.

There has been sufficient adverse reaction to the Morrison's packaging that they have now changed course and said that it was all a terrible mistake and the packaging will be changed with immediate effect. With the polarisation in the UK at the moment, too brazen a trumpeting of Britishness, and too blatant an appeal to anti-EU sentiment, may be counterproductive; you may piss off more customers than you attract. Morrisons may have reached the limit of what is useful or effective in terms of patriotic branding.

Back in the 70s and 80s, the GI campaign deliberately eschewed the tricolour as a brand partly because they wanted a logo that would work in colour or in black-and-white, but also because t the time an excessively flag-shagging attitude to the tricolour marked you out as a Provo supporter, and in those days that was not an advantageous way to be perceived. And I would think that would have been the way for quite a while afterwards; we've never really taken to US attitudes to the use of the flag for commercial gain. I'm not saying you're wrong to recall a tricolour-branded marketing campaign, but I don't recall one myself and I think any that was tried would have been pretty small and fairly tentative, because it could so easily backfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Aldi definitely use a discreet Irish tri-colour on their products, maybe that is what you are thinking of (though obviously it's current as opposed to some time in the past). And as explained by others above this is perfectly fine, as it's not a government funded initiative. Example product below. The problem with the Morrisons chicken wasn't the flag as such, it was the big text reference to 'Non-EU' which raised some ire.

10 Back Bacon Irish Rashers Unsmoked 400g Brannans | ALDI.IE

It actually suggests a nation that feels insecure with itself. I do agree that it's none of our business and they can do whatever they like with their own products and stores, but 'insecurity' is the word that springs to mind : a nation totally at ease with itself and its identity wouldn't feel the need to drape everything in the national flag.

As some have suggested in the thread, they may think that flag waving is popular with the customers. Perhaps it even is : England in particular seems quite a 'nationalist' place at the moment, in thrall to flags and symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's amazing how this flag went from representing Cool Britannia to Uncool Xenophobia in the space of a quarter of a century.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Back on topic please. Some posts have been removed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Because of the shortage of butchers in the UK, carcasses have been sent to Ireland and Holland, in particular, for processing, before the finished produce is then re-imported into the UK. Of course technically, that means it'll show up in CSO trade stats as an Irish export:

https://twitter.com/BBCBusiness/status/1455893382639853584

I assume that is taxed on import from the UK to Ireland/Holland, but what is the deal with the return journey? When and what will UK customs be actually charging when the full requirements kick in? (Early next year?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Does it get taxed into Ireland?

Isn't more value added to the product in Ireland so it would get taxed going back into the UK?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Usually you get the tax back on proof of export; as an example I'm working for a company selling products with sugar in them. If we export a container of products with them we can report we've exported X tons of sugar (based on the exact breakdown what was used) and get to import X tons of sugar from outside EU tariff free accordingly. Same thing applied with fat taxes; I know of a company exporting fresh cream from Norway to a country in EU to convert into cheese which is then imported back and they get to offset the fat tax based on the exported fat content etc.

I'm used to paying VAT and customs on imports, but of course, it works differently for VAT registered businesses. Got that arseways. But the UK isn't running the full set of customs checks right now, right? So they aren't enforcing anything for imports, or do I have that wrong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well they always had a base level of enforcement before leaving as well but it's not at any level close to what EU is doing and those 50k new custom agents are still wandering around the forest...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, they have been heavily fined by the EU for not collecting the correct level of tax on imports. They were accepting a value for cotton jeans from China at a value less than the value of raw cotton. I cannot recall the level of the fine, but it was significant.

Not a good history.

Yes, they're pretty much waving most things through at the ports. Mainly because they launched into their hard Brexit without being remotely ready to enforce it (a total shambles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Advertisement