Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to an Irishman in mandatory quarantine in Australia

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep I'm in Quarantine in Australia, AMA

Haha! Good questions

I'd say it would put a huge strain on the relationship,that was more in the build up though.She never knew I had claustrophobia issues (why would she,it never came up) I also never knew what anxiety was despite it being all over everything on the telly,online etc.I fùcking know now.I think she was scared to see me in such a state and that was a test for the relationship. She was very understanding though and gave me several options to get out of the trip.We're a strong couple though (so far!)

No need for any fapping as we're at it like rabbits,feck all else to do!

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep I'm in Quarantine in Australia, AMA

Can't go outside but have balcony.

I have weights (water weights,)a stepper and YouTube aerobic video,that's it.

I can see myself getting fatter by the hour.

We have different routines as she's working from home to irish hours so she starts work at 5pm and works til 1am.I get up as absolutely late in the day as possible so there's less time ro kill.

Not on reddit so don't know but I doubt it,why?

Yes you can order in just eat and all the other equivalents.The food is so bad in some places that people have no choice but to order in.Thats a big cost a couple of times a day for 2 weeks added on to all the other costs.

We're on day 6 and today will be the first day we order in food.

There's loads of places to order in alcohol but there is a daily limit six beers or one bottle of wine per person per day.Its a generous enough limit but its another reminder that you have zero control over anything.

I've been ordering booze and stockpiling it for party days about every 3rd day.We also brought 2 bottles of whisky and a bottle of port with us.They didn't check suit cases so really you could have them stocked like a bar if you wanted!

Smoking is strictly prohibited, if you're caught its a massive fine.I see in some fb groups people giving tips on how to do this going to great lengths to cover vents and doors and smoking down the toilet whilst flushing it.I smoke when I drink at home but not risking anything in here.

Post edited by I'm in Quarantine in Australia, AMA on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

After your 14 days how long are you staying in Australia?

• Advertisement

4 weeks,so trip is 6 weeks in total.

The original plan was to go to her sisters wedding in November on a 3 week trip.I figured their quarantine would be gone by then,it wasn't and here we are.

She only has 2 weeks annual leave as she started a new job so has ro work these 2 weeks in quarantine and the last 2 weeks of the holiday.I had enough leave built up to go for 6 weeks.

There actually is a happy hour on Fridays but I'm drinking on my own schedule. Would love to have zoom pints with the lads at home but would involve morning drinking for me which I haven't stooped to .......yet!

Good Arvo 'Irishman in quarantine' 😊

Have you checked out the "Aussie Cossack" on youtube?..

Apparently some Aussies think Russia is a better option atm ... Must be pretty bad over there in oz alright... No questions, but I hope ya escape soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"In a lot of cases no,you are totally confined to the room,all rooms will have windows but in most cases they don't open. To keep someone in this situation for 14 days is against all sorts of human rights laws and is also mentioned in the UN charter I believe."

How is it against human rights and UN charter? Nobody forced you to go to Australia, you chose to and have to accept the rules as part of that... If you were being forced to go there, then sure there would be issues but they clearly set out the requirements in advance and decided to go anyway.

NZ has a pretty similar set of quarantine requirements, they are about to get a bit looser but the UN certainly seems to have no issues with it what so ever.

I might give that a watch later,sparse enough schedule today!

Aside from the draconian quarantine situation here everything else is normal and has been since the start ( I'm talking about South Australia where I am rather than Melbourne or Sydney)

There's currently one active case of covid in a city with the same population as Dublin,you have to wear masks but that's it.I think they had a snap 3 day lockdown last year which was treated more as a novelty than anything else.

When I get out of here it'll be nice to be back in normal society, I'll be shaking hands and hugging all the in-laws as I did last time I was here in 2018.

I'm not saying they did everything right but through their geographical location and willingness to treat a small number of people like prisoners to avoid having Covid in their state/country its hard to argue with the effectiveness of it.

Of course it's impossible to compare to the Irish response or most other places as there were different sets of circumstances and its apples and oranges.

• Advertisement

Nobody forced me to go to Australia that's true.

There were Aus citizens who had no other choice but to come home,especially at the start on repatriation flights and into quarantine. Others who had dying parents and had to come home.Many stories of people who did this and the relative died while they were in quarantine.

NZ quarantine has had provisions for fresh air from day 1.

Hello again Irishman in Australia!

"I'm in Quarantine in Australia, AMA" is not a pleasant sounding moniker 😊 Being as you're a member of Boards, what are your thoughts on the setup of these 'AMA's' - To wit, I was gonna call you 'OP' in a previous post, as normally the subject person of a thread is the 'OP'.

But, in these AMA's the 'OP' is usually Boards:Niamh, or Boards:an-other, so we can't call you OP... And your handle on here atm is a pretty terrible one tbh.. Do you think it's very interrogatory OP 😊 with Boardsies just blasting out questions; without so much as an : hi/hello OP etc,,, , I think it is...

Thanks for taking the time/trouble to answer our questions 😊

Haha! Not at all,in fact some of the more eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that I was answering questions by mistake under my normal boards account for about an hour after the thread opened!

You are given the choice to use your usual account or an AMA one which most people seem to go with.I think I prefer this as there's no preconceptions or bad feelings from the odd run in posters may have had before.It makes it less about the personalities and more about the topic.

Thanks, and I wasn't one of those "eagle-eyed" posters 😊 , as I was late to the thread... So, there is no need for me to keep your Boards id a secret 😁

I was at a game last time I was here.

To my untrained eye is not as skillful as the sports I mainly watch (GAA and rugby) but I haven't watched that many games.

The big Derby here is the Adelaide Crowes v Port Adelaide. There's a healthy dislike between the two alright,the atmosphere on the day can be good and colourful, kinda coordinated and sanitised a bit.Wouldnt compare to an all Ireland (although a Grand Final here might,I've never been)

AMA dude 😁

You are in oz doing this Q & A... Perhaps you have an occupation, and perhaps you don't.... If it was, say, an occupational AMA that you were doing in Ireland; instead of an "I'm stuck in a foreign Country in a krappy situation AMA" ; would your language/choice of words be different.. ? What I mean is; you are in another Country, and are you cognisant of that in your posting style vis 'this is a communication going to another Country', and so I don't want to say anything/ or use any kind of language that might be misconstrued; and, perhaps, land me on some list what I don't want to be on ?😂

Like is you choosin' your words carefully, cos you is fearful of any possible ramifications from de man? Cos he might be having his minions scanning international transmissions, because certain bad tings be now considered "part and parcel of everyday life in big cities" , what wasn't the case back in the twentieth century..

Or, does that kind of thing matter not a jot to you?

You're a good sport OP doing this... Stuck in a hotel, and unable to sample any Aussie culture.. I don't know if you are able to watch any embedded youtube videos, and perhaps you've seen this one before.. Just a regular cobber doing what anyone else would have done in the same situation?

Haha! I'm not sure that blonde lady at the end was being genuine when she said she wants to live next door to Daniel!

I wouldn't think she'd moind too much meself, as he seems like a decent chap - that is; if Daniel moved somewhere upmarket (highly unlikely) , and they both lived in the same fancy area... Barring that, there's no way a chick like her would live anywhere near Dan's hood, whether or not she'd like him as a neighbour is a completely different kettle... 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Hi and thank you for doing this.

After a week or so of watching Aussie news I'm interested in your impressions of how "ordinary" Australians are coping?

We see media reports of riots in Melbourne and elsewhere - but that might just reflect the old newspaper adage "If it bleeds it leads".

Do you think most people genuinely angry at how the government has responded, or do they accept that the restrictions are a price that must be paid?

• Advertisement

I can only speak for Adelaide and South Australia as that's where I am and that's where the in laws are.

Their lives are normal ( with masks) and have been since the beginning. They've had 4 deaths from Covid.The price they pay for this is temporarily halting tourism and travel in and out of their state.Their vaccine roll out was a bit slow compared to other states but they are opening their borders in 3 weeks.

They are delighted with the way they've dealt with it and who could blame them?

There seems to be a bit more unease in Victoria and NSW ( because they've had lockdowns) but there aswell the overwhelming majority support the way things have panned out.

I don't want things to turn into a Covid thread but in my opinion they've done a better job than any other first world country (granted they had some natural advantages)

As a country Australia has always freaked me out with its nanny state ways,I also feel they lack compassion and I've never felt that more than now typing this as I sit here looking down on an army lad standing out front of the Quarantine hotel but it's worked for them on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

What's the weather like ? I was in Adelaide about this time 3 years ago for a few days and it was like +35 degrees. I lived 4 hours away in rural NSW and used to go there to keep myself sane.

It was probably one of my favorite city's over there due to the chilled vibe but work was nowhere as easy to find compared to Sidney imo.

Where you a backpacker/WHV over there at some stage ?

Fun fact: A pint in South Australia is not actually a pint. It is just what they call a schooner and as I learned one night 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What’s the issue with chrome cast? The TV won’t accept it or it won’t connect to the hotel WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I can't imagine what that must be like. No fresh air for 2 weeks would be a step too far for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Even people who have been locked up for criminal activity, rather than just being tourists, get let out for fresh air. I expect that is where the complaints about it being conditions which are contrary to something from the UN comes from.

It won't accept hotel WiFi I think. Its a bit of an issue as we have limited comforts at the moment and the TV is obviously an important one.We have options though, we have two laptops with us and a hdmi cable,however my Mrs who is working 6pm til 2am ( prime tv watching hours needs both of them) Currently I'm mirroring my screen off my Samsung phone to Samsung telly which is doing the job but not great picture and dropping from time to time.

I asked reception and they said there is no reason why the chrome cast shouldn't work as others have managed it.

Ps For my sins I'm currently watching last nights Prime Time! (Must be for a bit of familiarity in a weird time I guess)

Was 31 degrees yesterday and 20 degrees today! Seems to be a lot of variation at this time of year.I was only here once before, that was in 2018 same as you,my Mrs is from here but I met her in ireland.Ive lived half of my adult life abroad but was never a backpacker in Oz and it never really appealed to me.

Adelaide seems to be a sleepy middle aged city to me which ( as somebody in my 40s and rapidly approaching middle age) doesn't seem like a bad fit.

The size of the pints is a major bugbear of mine though,scooners,glass,pints,etc none of them as big as our normal pint at home.How this is the case in such a hot country escapes me!

Yes,totally unacceptable in my opinion.The thought of it caused me massive anxiety (which I'd never experienced before) I had to seek medical help get on meds,stopped eating,lost weight and had to take time off work over it.

We are so so lucky (and I mean top 5% lucky) that not only did we get a balcony, but we got a suite in a 5 star hotel that's more like an apartment and would be about €300 a night.

I contacted Boards about 6 months ago with a view to doing an AMA but as the time got closer it became evident that it mightnt be a good idea,it was only after being allocated this place that I felt there'd be no problem.

Other people paying the same amount and just pot luck are in sealed rooms, many with kids and having to order in food because what provided isn't edible,I'm in private fb groups with them, it's fairly scandalous.

We get daily calls from the police ( not sure why) and mental health nurses,both the nurses on the phone and the ones who come to the door to do pcr tests commented on our suite and said its the least people should be entitled to.I didn't bring this up, they said it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yeah it gets hot out that way. In Feb 19 I think Adelaide broke it's record with 46 degrees. We were about 51.

If you haven't tried already when ur back out and about try McDonald's gravy fries 🍟, there unreal 😂

• Advertisement

Very little fresh air/ not allowed outside/ over 30 degrees, and barely at the end of week 1 of torture 😲..... Am probably not the only one thinking this; but I'm gonna come out with it anyway.... Things must be getting "backed up" for a lot of the inmates there.. Esp for those, who, in loo of a regular 'conshitutional' 😂 , might opt to 'take a few pulls' (but that is proscribed ☹️) to 'induce labour' , so to speak... 😁 Are the local chemists 'gouging' on the aul dulco or the senna based products over there.. A shrewd concierge, or Chinaman (it's been known 😏) ; who, in advance of the edict, might have filled their boots with these lifesaving products; in anticipation of a high demand, da barstewards 😠 😟 Or maybe I'm projecting, and everything's hunky dory in the rectal region 😅

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement