Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pity somebody wouldn't ask the UK Attorney General about that or even take a court case about it. Oh wait!

And you cannot have it two ways, as you usually do...insist the international border is the land border then claim that a trade border splits the UK.

The trade border is in the Irish Sea for expediency. That you are not important enough to the British does not mean the UK has been split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Is that a backhanded compliment? It's not just that (vanished + mostly off topic) post. I have been reading the thread from early on. You were hoping the courts would rule the Protocol illegal after all (post no. 1). Similar to UK govt. you don't want NI protocol to work. There's really only a limited number of possible outcomes if (or maybe more likely when at this stage?) it falls apart.

UK still shopping around to try and find a legal opinion that says they are right. Should just give Jamie Bryson a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The argument was won 100 years ago but unionists threatened a mass-murder spree. Unionists had another chance with the GFA. You won't get another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,643 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

An Irish Sea border is not the same as an Irish land border in substance, in impact or in historical significance. But, despite those differences, I do accept that the unionist community is offended by a sea border in the same way that the nationalist community is offended by a land border. The two things may not be quite the same, but people feel the same way about them. And those feelings are valid.

So, should we have a referendum to choose which border to have?

Absolutely not.

And here's why:

We've already had a referendum, from which we know that NI doesn't want Brexit on any terms. A "which border?" referendum essentially says to the people of Northern Ireland: "Here's a stick. We already know you don't want either end of the stick - you've already told us that. So we've now gone out of our way to make both ends of the stick shîttier than they need to be. Which shîtty end would you like?".

In practical terms, it's hard to see that approaching the problem is this way is likely to lead to a solution which, um, can secure cross-community assent. The only thing likely to secure cross-community agreement is how outrageous, how contemptuous, the question is.

As a matter of principle, if the GFA gives autonomy to the people of NI to decide their own future, how can we justify posing a referendum question that rules out the possibility of them deciding that they don't want a hard border?

The only reason for posing the question in this form is that the Tory party, with precisely zero elected representatives in NI at any level, wants a hard border. The hard border is being foisted on NI against its expressed wishes and interests because the British Tory party thinks that by doing this it can obtain political advantage in England. Given that we accept that hard borders are inflammatory, the Tories are inflaming Northern Ireland - first, by forcing a hard border on it and, secondly, by stirring up discontent over the hard border that they have imposed - as a tactic to secure partisan political benefits for themselves in England. This is shameful. There is no other word for it.

Even to propose this referendum as a solution reinforces the criticism that I made earlier of contemporary unionism. To suggest this referendum is to accept that the parameters within which this problem must be addressed rule out expecting the Tory government to attach any weight at all to the wishes or interests of NI, or to value the health of the Union above short-term partisan gains in England, or to behave with a modicum of decency and democratic accountability. It presumes that the Tories' shameful behaviour must be assented to, acquiesced in, even tacitly supported.

Obviously that frames the problem in way that can never win the support of the nationalist community. But it ought never to win the support of the unionist community either. What is the value of a union in which Northern Ireland is despised and disdained in this way? Why are unionists so afraid to demand a union in which NI is is not alternately ignored and exploited for electoral advantage in real Britain? What self-respecting unionist could be complicit in maintaining so dysfunctional and abusive a union? Unionists deserve better.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Have they? They've got the UK government to commit to ending London's grip on NI, significantly reduced the unionist apartheidism and have a Catholic majority. Would you have been able to bring about a United Ireland faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I have read back and I see you say “you think downcow believes….” Apologies, that’s fair enough. You admit it is just dreamy up by you not based on anything concrete I said. Well your belief is wrong.

as for the court case, it is ongoing.

If I was you I would be embarrassed to repeat that.

you are saying that Ireland cow-towed to a threat of ‘mass murder’ and didn’t stand up for part of its ‘nation’.

the IRA carried out 30 years of ‘mass murder’ and our people never once lost their will and their heart to consider cow-towing and handing any of our nation over.

it is probably an even bigger embarrassment to Ireland than the two world wars.

I am not sure how you decide that NI does not want brexit “on any terms”. That’s really a silly statement. I didn’t vote for it but I could give you a list of terms in which I would vote for it.

you are condemning other posters for black and white options but I think you are supporting a black and white position of, ‘it’s the protocol or nothing’, am I correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭KildareP

There might be terms on which you'd vote for it, but on what terms could Brexit be brought about which achieved cross community consent? The answer is of course, under present unionist and wider UK leadership, none. Thus the ongoing arguing about lack of consent around the Protocol holds no real water when those arguing that point are trying to ensure delivery of a Brexit that itself did not receive cross community consent. You can't argue it both ways.

As for protocol or nothing, five years on from the vote and we are all still waiting for viable alternatives to the Protocol and yet absolutely nothing has been forthcoming. So yes, it is protocol or nothing, until those against the Protocol (but still insisting on Brexit) can come up with something else as an alternative.

"I'd Do Anything for Brexit (But I Won't Do That)"

• Advertisement

NI was invited to vote on Brexit with no terms specified, and a wide variety of terms promised. You could vote for that to signal support for Brexit on any terms you thought desirable and attainable. A clear majority voted against. With every possible Brexit on offer, a clear majority chose "Remain". There's only one way to interpret that.

As for me supporting a black-and-white position of "it's the protocol or nothing", this is precisely the opposite of what I am saying. It's Westminster that decided that "it's the Protocol or nothing", having rejected all other forms of Brexit that were offered or available. I have consistently been highly critical of that position; I think they should have chosen a form of Brexit that didn't require either an Irish Sea border or an Irish land border. That's still what I think they should be aiming for.

That's also what I think unionists should have demanded from the outset, and what they should still be demanding, and if they had any self-confidence and any self-respect that is what they would be demanding. As it is, they find themselves unable to make any demand that might displease the Tory right-wing.

This is the fantasy you and many have been sold.

I firmly believe if their had not been an ira sectarian murder campaign we would be a lot closer to a United ireland today. There is no question violent republicanism put a Ui away for generations.

the gfa handed over the grip of NIs place in the union exclusively to the people of ni. I think we can all agree here that that was securing the grip not weakening it. I don’t think there is a single poster here, myself included, who would say there was no chance of Uk handing ni over in the short term. I think we can all agree though that there is no chance of the ni people voting to hand OWC over in the short term.

As for “significantly reduced the ‘unionist apartheidism’ and have a Catholic majority.”

The western world has transformed in these areas. This island was one of the slowest to make those moves, again because we were caught up in violent intercommunal conflict. I would admit that even the more monocultural draconian ROI moved quicker tha NI to shake of their institutional sectarianism because they had the space as they were not dealing with a violent sectarian conflict on a daily basis in their midst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

To paraphrase the Brexit government in their attempt to break international law, It splits the UK in a 'specific and limited way' so shouldn't be a problem.

The reality however is that with the protocol NI doesn't necessarily become part of a UI. The method of becoming a UI still doesn't change, it's still consent. In consent the difference will be made by the new middle ground and they will only be convinced by liberal, moderate unionists like Doug Beattie that the union is the way to go forward.

The whole anti-protocol drive by extreme unionism is an absolute waste of time and possibly counter-intuitive.

I disagree. Terms were specified.

A fortnight before the referendum in 2016, then Prime Minister David Cameron (who was campaigning for Remain) said during an interview:

“The British public would be voting if we leave would be to leave the EU and leave the single market. We’d then have to negotiate a trade deal from outside with the European Union... But if we leave the EU and the German finance minister was very clear, you’re either in or you’re out, leaving the single market, you’ve then got to negotiate a trade deal.”

Key Leave figures made similar points. Michael Gove was asked by the BBC’s Andrew Marr “Do you want us to say inside the single market?” to which he responded:

“No. We should be outside the single market. We should have access to the single market, but we should not be governed by the rules that the European Court of Justice imposes on us, which cost business and restrict freedom.”

The bit you are still not grasping is that it was a Uk-wide referendum. It is diengenuous to start carving up regions. Was it the abortion referendum in Ireland that Donegal voting differently but we don’t here people asking for Donegal to be treated differently

You have this the wrong way around. The ni community in poll after poll confirms that it is convinced our future is best served in the Uk. Why do you tell us what doug Beattie must do to convince the people of what they are already convinced.

your attention should turn the other direction. You should be saying that NI will only be convinced to unite the island by moderate nationalism demonstrating they will embrace the cultures and identities contained in NI and stop opposing and disdaining the largest minority identity on this island at every opportunity

there are some views very skewed by prejudice on here 🤔

There is an obvious alternative to the protocol, which is a softer Brexit in which the UK remains in or close to the Customs Union or the Single Market or both. But the Tory right decided some months after the referendum - once they had arrived an an elementary understanding of some of the issues - that they didn't like that idea, and the British government duly ruled it out. And they have not moved from that position since; in fact they have regularly intensified it.

And unionist leaders backed them to the hilt. And even now, when they are unhappy with the NI Protocol which resulted from this position, they won't criticise the position or call for it to be reconsidered, or suggest that the trajectory of Brexit be altered towards a form of Brexit that - as was once promised - will work for all parts of the UK, including NI.

That's a damning indictment of the current unionist leadership, and of rank-and-file unionists who support them in maintaining that position. To paraphrase Tony Blair, tough on the NI Protocol, but irrevocably committed to the causes of the NI Protocol, no matter what the political, social and economic cost to Northern Ireland, and no matter how much damage is done to the Union.

What are they so afraid of?

Not to remind you of the basic facts of history, downcow, but Cameron was a prominent Remainer. The statements of Remainers don't serve to establish what the Leave campaign was offering; the winners in that referendum were never bound or understood to be bound to behave as their opponents predicted they would. To see what the Leave campaign was offering people, to see what people who voted "Leave" understood themselves to be voting for, you need to look at what Leave campaigners said, not at what Remain campaigners said.

And Leave campaigners said everything. Gove may have said that the UK should be outside the Single Market, but others said that either in or out was possible, and still others treated Leave as consistent with SM membership. I'm old enough to remember that, even after the referendum, there were Brexiter Tory MPs complaining that if the EU excluded the UK from the Single Market, that would be the EU punishing the UK for Brexiting. They clearly thought, at the time of the referendum and after, that a Leave vote was a vote to remain in the SM. This was a deliberate strategy. There were even two quite distinct Leave campaigns to ensure maximum mixed messaging, to promise all things to all men, to hoover up every vote for any kind Brexit that might be implemented on any terms and put them all into the one "Leave" basket. That's how they got across the line. And that's how we can take it that the people who voted Remain were people who didn't want to Brexit on any of the wide variety of terms promised by the Leave campaigns.

As for it being a UK-wide referendum — yes. That's the point. I'm not the one who's carving up regions here and giving them different treatment - that was the British government's decision - not mine, not Ireland's, not the EU's. A UK-wide referendum demands a UK-wide Brexit; you can't reasonably argue that a UK-wide referendum give a mandate for a form of Brexit chosen because it's thought to be popular in England, and damn the rest. It demand a Brexit that factors in the needs, wishes, interests of all parts of the UK - including, if you take the Union seriously, NI. Unionist leaders should have demanded that, and they should still be demanding that. That means Brexit on terms that don't require a land border on one side of NI or a sea border on the other.

It was the threat of 'immediate and terrible war' by the British that secured the division of our country. As for embarrassment, former Provos are in Stormont and can bring it to an end when they choose to and the British will not introduce direct rule for fear of upsetting them.

Quite interesting and predictable that there are certain posters insisting there has been no change in northern Ireland in 100 years.

You'd never guess that as well as being in turmoil over the mess they made of Brexit and the self separating they have achieved they are also in turmoil about what to do if they lose their (in name only -that is how fragile it is) First Minister position.

Gas stuff!

The post-conflict strategy of Republicans is to move governance of the north away from London and normalise their participation in it. Now people in the northeast, from both main communities, broadly support devolution with only a gormless section of paleo-unionism desperately seeking direct rule (when the British prorogued Stormont in the 70's it was considered a betrayal by unionists).

But the game is up for the Unionism regardless. People from a Catholic/Nationalist background have gone from being a second class minority to running the place. In my own extended family, on my Father's side, the Sons and Daughters conflict-era working class Republicans are now property developers, solicitors, teachers, local councillors, and business people.

Unionists have been manoeuvred into the position of needing devolution more than Nationalists because if it fails then there's nothing to talk about except a United Ireland.

• Advertisement

Back on topic: https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1455809797106896899?s=20

Seems all but inevitable now that the British Government will get a good spanking. Can't help but think N/Irish Unionism will end up being made scapegoats at some point in the future should the Tories face a meltdown at home in England.

I haven’t seen a single post make any such claim or inference.

can you give us an example where “posters insisting there has been no change in northern Ireland in 100 years.”

you need to be careful how much time you are spending on here with my kind. You are even calling it “Northern Ireland” now 👏👏. 🎉.

This is great. Who is manoeuvring who 🤔

what you describe is excellent. Just read it again. Seems even you are happy with a devolved NI. That’s all we really wanted. It’s Beyond our wildest dreams that people like you would be content with all you have posted on that post.

and if Stormont falls, as you say we can talk about a UI - maybe even for another 100 years.

all good with me. Jaw jaw beats war war

I was a big supporter of john mcmichaels (UDA) progressive thinking in the 1980s Seems you’ve caught up and agree. Time is wonderful

Another snide remark falls flat on it's face when met with the facts. Here is a search of the forum which shows in 7.3k instances a post by me used the term. How embarrassing for you.

Care to withdraw that remark?

And maybe look to the conversation on another thread where blanch was making the theory that there was no change in the border in 100 years. Or to your own assertion that Unionists have not given up any of their nation, and counterpoint that with the direct involvement of the Irish government in your nation on behalf of the nationalist population (who have demonstrated quite dramatically and conclusively that it is not only YOUR nation or 'wee country')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭trashcan

Are you really waiting to be convinced Downcow ? You should have said !

oh, and many of the “people of Northern Ireland” are already convinced. Once again, you conflate Unionist people with all the people of NI..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

I'm fine with the moderate nationalism to convince unionists of UI etc. That's ok.

Also ok is that polls show preference to remain with UK. Very happy to accept that, so married am I to the principle of consent.

The reason to suggest Doug Beattie and liberal unionists need to convince people in the middle to remain with the UK is borne of the fact that unionists clearly don't believe such concrete preferences can survive the protocol, hence all unionist parties calling for it to be scrapped. If you are so confident that NI wants its future to be with GB, why all the issues with the protocol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Not so.

Until the GFA, there was no democratic path to a UI.

Francie why try to twist so much.

here is your quote

“Quite interesting and predictable that there are certain posters insisting there has been no change in northern Ireland in 100 years.”

you we’re responding to Tom claiming ‘much has changed in ni around how people are treated etc’

when caught on telling lies about posters ‘saying that nothing has changed in NI’, you try to spin it that you were referring to the border.

inwould have much more respect for you if just once you could say ‘I was wrong’

• Advertisement

I am absolutely not conflating unionists with all people in ni. I am referring to all people in ni. Check stats on any poll and you struggle to find less people anywhere in history who want Ireland to unite as right now. Unless you know differently?

Advertisement