Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah kill out between 21-23 dead, once there paying to 22.5/23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Last load of lambs went yesterday, pets etc, one was only 2kgs when it was born, They made 139.

We weighed them full going into the shed and then the next morning when they were being loaded, they lost 3kgs overnight, KO was over 50% on the empty weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Were they on meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

What weights do you start feeding them at wrangler? I’m trying to figure out what il do with a lot of lambs I have are 37 kgish . Do you ab lib yours on meal for six weeks and indoors before hand ?

Yes, they were on .5kg/day up until three weeks ago and then practically adlib

They were mostly lleynX

• Advertisement

Yea I hear that ICM are giving €6.60 and free transport from the west of Ireland.... taking thousands of lambs out of kildares catchment area.

I'd say there'll be great prices got yet

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

A lot of lambs going to kildare amd navan from around here. Not near as many going to athleague/ballyhaunis.

Great to see the price rising for anyone that bought stores. They were dear to begin with so they need these prices.

I know there's war among the agents,

It's the way to have it 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Great to see such helpful advice here from lads. Just back from the annual purchase. I only bought 40 ewe lambs. The docket is average weight 28.5 kgs for €91.18. Shocking dear today. I had hoped on getting about 100 over the coming weeks but the prices are way too dear. Super lambs I bought. They’re up over €25 per head on last year’s purchases. I saw Chevy rams of 35kg making €125. Baltinglass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

There's war among agents for the same factory !! As you say, great to have it.

It's just a pity all mine are gone. There'll be a great twist in winter finished lamb again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Last of lambs gone this morning here.

49kgs - 145 euro.

Delighted with the price 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

made a tough call on saturday re. the store lambs, the mart manager in kenmare rang me with a list of prices and weights from previous monday , 32 kg ewe lambs 95 euro, 28kg ram lambs 88 euro. i couldnt justify it so told him ill leave it and we would do business next summer again. he rang this morning with 55 wether scotch lambs, but kind of had made up my mind to leave it. it was also 9am with a head on me from last night, didnt get into bed til 4:30 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

You should get a nice twist on the lambs you bought earlier.

You might be as well off without the second lot - sometimes less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I see intensive lamb is €370 per tonne here now. What are you guys paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

About the same Kev - 9.10/25 kg bag.

I only use a few bags a week so prefer to get it as I need it (don’t have anywhere secure from mice to store it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

325 a ton (I think as may check a docket ).Thats for 17% intensive lamb ration collected in bulk .

Last lambs here started on meal about 10 days ago .Eating from ad lib bin feeders .Ewe lambs are about 300/400 g/head/day at the moment and for some reason ram lambs on about the same .Usually the rams would be eating a fair proportion more .That's just from gauging how long the bin lasts and allowing maybe 10% not eating much if any yet .Could be a bit out but not much as know what each bin holds .

This year and last have been probably the years I have had to finish the least amount of lambs on meal ie finished on grass alone .

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Heard 6.60 this week and that they are heading for 7 euro in the next few weeks, a big shortage and the factory ringing men looking for lambs...can only be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

It's good alright just abit worried it's too much too soon. 7 Euro at this time of the year unheard of. High prices cure high prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Quite simply high inputs ( ration and fertlizer) are effecting world wide supply. Processor's by there pricing have reduced Irish supply of lamb over the last twenty years.

BRE it has limited there ability to import lamb. British processor's are having a job finding labour. This is the whole misconception if Brexit that the great unwashed would replace there cheap foreign labour supply.

However you only have to look at beef, chicken and pork, there will be no cheap meats in 3-5 years time. In between we may get regression for a while but the upward trajectory in commodity prices is virtually unstoppable.

Cheap energy is the enemy of farmers no matter what people think.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

I agree with you, the day of cheap European food is over. Also with CAP being downgraded for the last number of years farmers just can't go producing food in an unprofitable manner. Looking retrospectively I think the beef protest highlighted this fact but government and EU failed to take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya but contary to pupular opinion it changed a few things in Beef. Grading has improved at the lower end of the market. The highlighting of the co-ordinated price pull last February by multiple processors when market returns have show since that there was no market indication that it should have happened. Why do you think that there was no co-ordinated sustained pull this autumn. Processors know they are in the spotlight, one thing about a concerted investigation someone always squeals. At present processors do not want to draw that onto themselves.

Slava Ukrainii

Do you ad lib them outside or inside?. I have had some out for the past2 weeks on almost ad lib (it might go half a day of being empty if im away working) and have really noticed them pushing on the last few days with the exception of 1 or 2 that are either not in the feeder as much or are being bullied out by the bigger lads.

Ad lib them outside usually .Find that they do better outside than inside .Have on occasion housed them but that would be more for handiness .Housed last of the ram lambs last year as the were only seperated from females by a wire fence and they spent all their time mounting one another and trying to get into the ewe lambs .

Dangerous letting bins go empty as have seen them almost smother one another when its refilled esp. when they are any length of time feeding .Few times its happened here would spend maybe an hour standing at the bin so as to keep them from crowding .

Ram lambs will really thrive on ad lib feeding and if you haven't done it before you would want to watch them from going overweight very quickly .Price is good at the moment (6.90 ) but meal too dear to feed it to have a lamb kill 24 kgs when the excess carcase weight is not paid for .

Actually getting in some to dose at the minute so had better check my own weights !!!

I weigh mine every saturday at the moment but still a bit to go for these boyos to be out the gate so am safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

What price are lads getting in factory end of week ? What weights are they paying too ? And what weights are youz drafting at ?

Offered 6:90 to 22.5 for last Wednesday.

The last of mine are only on meal a week and dosed Wednesday and yesterday so be a couple of weeks before selling again. Hopefully will have broken 7 euro by then .

Ram lambs on ad lib will kill very well so usually go at 46 to 48kgs so as to maximise full pay weight without going over and feeding meal for no return.

Ewe lambs will never have the same kill out so would normally draft at c. 50kgs.

Really all depends as some lambs will never come into big weight no matter how long or how much you feed them .

Often sold lambs especially ewe lambs which might kill out 20kgs or less.

These would usually be the very last of them so perhaps on meal along time .Last of the stragglers often kill 13 to 16 kgs but at that stage better off gone as they will usually either stop putting on weight or die.

A bird in the hand and all that.

Price would sometimes influence drafting weight ie if a big price drop likely ( usually early summer)might shift some at lighter weight ,say 40kgs to kill 18kgs whilst in a rising market sometimes hold them a week or two longer than necessary and end up with 55kgs killing very heavy.

When you get down to small numbers at the end it's hard to get an even bunch and wouldn't pay me to be going with 10 lambs in a trailer unless someone else had a number to go to make a load and hopefully cover my time and diesel.

Yea , you get a great thrive in the first six weeks on meal then it slows down and after that they have to have a good price increase to pay for feeding.

• Advertisement

Housed all my ram lambs today. Hopefully be a push on them now.

Advertisement