Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Justice System & Irish Courts..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Re: emotional trauma. Yes, it's call sarcasm, but it was obviously lost on you. But go ahead and call me names if it makes you feel better.

Well his leg has surely healed in the last couple of years so he can climb all he likes again and fall again.

Didn't read the article... Not that it matters, but am wondering if the property owners and the occupants are one and the same..

For quite a while, I've been beginning to wonder if there's "anything" that you "can't" be sued for ... An example - someone is wearing an unusual/garish/whatever combination of colours.. These colours are reminiscent of what some kids' cartoon character wears... Bloke wearing the clothes is on the opposite side of the street from the kid.. The kid, on the opposite side of the street, thinks it's their favourite cartoon character in living colour; and legs it over... Kid gets knocked down... Parents sue the chap wearing the clothes...

In that example above; could something as ludicrous as that be seen as legitimate grounds to sue someone, or would it be thrown out..

Granted, there's a massive disparity between the example above and what's depicted in the OP... But, in general, it does seem that there is very little off limits when it comes to making a claim... Where will it all end? Some dystopian future where everyone looks and acts the same maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

If you read the article you'd answer your first question at least.

Where will it end...........it'll end with higher health and safety standards and less people getting injured. And higher insurance costs until that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Article in the Indo today. A 44 year old man up for three separate offences.

One, in possession of a meat cleaver.

Second, dealing 800quid worth of Heroin

Third, stealing expensive hiking clothing from a business in Dublin City centre.

No jail.

Next time somebody is bashed to bits with a bat or similar (as seen recently in a Tesco online)

Or there's a fella in the carpark of my apartment complex, selling Heroin, and the trespassers and annoyance that brings

Or a business is fleeced by someone

I'll have no doubt as to where I put the blame. Could double the amount of guards out there, but what difference does it make when people are caught by them and the courts have them do no time. Then no doubt, soon enough before they're arrested again. Legal aid train.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/grandad-44-caught-with-meat-cleaver-for-his-own-protection-on-dublin-street-is-spared-jail-term-41007855.html

If the homeowners had no home insurance, would they have been sued? Which begs the question of how broken leg boys mother knew they had insurance.

I used to laugh at my other half saying if someone fell in your house they could sue ya and other stuff like that. I thought they were being far too paranoid. Now I have to admit that they were right 😂

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

A child broke their leg. It wasn’t just a ‘fall’.

Christ.

Breaking a bone is an occupational hazard of being a kid. Remember comparing scars with your mates? He’s absolutely fine now.

But it’s made sit up and realise that anyone who’s looking to make a quick buck could fall (yes, fall) in your house and put in a claim.

oh grow up he broke a bone he didn't have the flipping leg amputated

ah but lads he couldn't play sports for a few weeks the crater. sure he must've been in a state. I reckon he's gonna have PTSD now.

Swear it's clear to see why the courts are a piss take in Ireland when u read some of these comments..

a kid broke his leg, that's shite for him I'm sure it was quite painful and it would have sucked for him while he was in a cast, but it's not an injury worth €66k.

anyone in agreement here is a joker honestly if you think a broken bone, which ill admit I've never had one thank god, but while I can't imagine it's exactly fun to experience and having a surgery to repair it is even less fun, this is a case of kids being kids and a genuine accident happening.

that's the problem here really, a kid was being a kid, they fell and his folks got 60 odd grand for it.

it's a load of bollox and if you think it's justified you're part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

What type of bubble did you grow up in? Breaking things was common enough in kids when I was younger. My cousin chopped his finger almost clean off climbing over railings, didn't sue anybody because idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

But what does "good condition" even mean?

Walls are not meant for kids to climb on. They are not a piece of playground equipment that needs to be maintained for such use. What about old stone walls, that are built with no cement or mortar? Just stacked rocks, that could easily fall onto a child if they decided to climb?

I agree people should maintain their property in general, regardless of whether they have kids around. But the payout here, suggests that the wall was unsuitably maintained for a child who wished to climb it. It's not like they leaned against it, and a brick fell on top of them.

I don't really care who made the ultimate decision to grant this payout. Our legal and insurance sectors are very clearly tightly interwoven in this country. There is an acceptance that you can blame everyone else for your own mistakes/misfortune, and someone else will pick up the tab. But of course the whole country pays for these dodgy claims in the end.

Blame and claim culture.

And of course, all these legal eagles we are churning out of university need to provide work for themselves right? And the insurance companies are only too happy to bump up premiums and payout stupid claims. They get their money one way or another anyway. One big giant racket!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Good condition means that the wall is structurally sound and doesn't pose a danger to anybody in the vicinity of the wall. Clearly the wall wasn't structurally sound as a little kid was able to pull a block out of the wall simply by attempting to climb it.

The kid was 7 years of age at the time of the incident. It's not like he was the Incredible Hulk ripping blocks out of a wall.

If it was an adult who was injured climbing the wall, I'd have little sympathy for the adult but 7 year old children aren't known for exercising caution and looking out for their own safety.

You are blaming the insurance company and the legal eagles. It's not them you should be annoyed with. They only apply the law 'as is'. They don't make the law. You may blame the politicians if you think the laws are ridiculous.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Another one who simply doesn't get it.

The adults are the idiots in this situation. How is a 7 year old to know the slab would fall on him before climbing it? Where were the adults who were supposed to be caring for the child in this situation?

Have you any children?

Also, don't assume I grew up in any bubble because I think the defendents here were f*cking idiots for allowing this to happen in the first place. It was very easy to avoid and they couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Adults usually are the idiots in most situations, but let’s face it: some children are just annoying. I am sure everyone met at least one of the kind in their lifetime.

Instead of blaming the wall owners you can likewise blame the poor victim’s parents for not teaching him to expect boundaries then. Depends how you want to interpret this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So what you're saying is, it's the parents fault for not monitoring their child?

Advertisement