Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Love the preheating on a beautiful winters morning like today. Also appreciated the heated steering wheel after freezing office yesterday. Hands were too cold to type!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Can I ask if your heated seats and steering come on with preheating via the app or just the cabin heater? I was pretty sure that my seats and steering were on when I got to the car up until I got the message in the picture just over a week ago. Now the cabin heater is on and the cabin is toasty (set @23C) but seats and steering are cold. As soon as I sit into the car the seat and steering come on but not before. I really want to avoid a visit to the workshop at this stage if I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

No they don’t. I’m not sure if I’d want them too until I’m sitting in the car as they don’t take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Question for those who got 2.3.

I've not got any prompt for the update yet but for the last two days my driver assist lights have been popping up shortly after driving off. They go off again after 30-60 seconds.

Is this how your cars behaved during the download or did the warning lights stay on during part one?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

battery life live-streaming whats new in 3.0 software release at 9am our time.. hopefully some nice stuff coming as we've had no new features since launch over a year back, the app is crap and still can't even schedule the car to charge at a given time period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oydyy7PQCJc

• Advertisement

Lads anyone interested in doing an ID3 meetup at some stage? Maybe we could do it at a Tesla SUC once they open up here for some divelment 😉

Well that was a waste of 5 minutes. coming in march and very little to get excited about..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I disagree, I think they've fixed or are fixing a lot of the UI issues

• Battery percentage on the drivers display
    • User selection
    • Configurable charging stops in the satnav
    • Auto lane change on travel assist

And in a later release the consumption and charging will finally be in kW

They've a ways to go, but there's definite signs here that VW are trying to improve things

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Agreed, some of the more annoying things are addressed, but there are buckets more.

Their software team really are sh*t. It shouldn't take so long to fix the issues and the OTA updates should be universal. The 2.3 roll out to older cars has been going on for months now.

• Advertisement

any improvement is welcomed but very little to cheer about IMO - i can't get excited about seeing the state of charge on the dashboard & them pushing apple music & spotify which you'll need a data subscription for that is 80EUR for 25GB & spotify will use that in very little time - that & you have spotify today on android auto/apple car..

It will be nearly 2 years since the first edition ID3 were launched and you still can't;

• Battery Heating options for when home-charging
    • see if the car is locked/windows down from the app.
    • schedule a charge for a specific time to avail of cheap rates.
    • locate the car via the app.
    • V2L (this may not be possible without a hardware change)
    • See charging speeds (KM/H) in the console.

Maybe some of these will be there in 3.0 (i hope so) but we were promised 12 weekly updates that included new features like tesla do but that hasn't appeared.. I went with the ID3 as a stepping stone to an ID4 (wasn't out when i got the ID3) but i'm now started to look at other cars on the market and from a connectivity/features perspective they are miles ahead of the ID range..

Great car but features are still very limited. .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

DO drive slower!

That's most of it. Regen etc will make a small difference but no amount of coasting is going to counteract driving at motorway speeds. It's a square relationship so x2 your speed is x4 the energy

Link below as an example - 444km range at 86km/h versus 284km at 122km/h average (58kWh battery)

insideevs.com/news/444065/volkswagen-id3-highway-range-test-results/ ... sorry can't post real links...

I heard Tesla chargers will be subscription only ?

Shame there's so few.

We really need 1 way to pay, having apps for each network is a joke. Just put a card reader so we can use out bank cards!

2 options i think - subscription & PAYG - the latter is very expensive mind you..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

PAYG is €0.57/kWh, requires only the Tesla app

Subscription is €13 per month and €0.24/kWh. You can also sign up for 1 month instead of being stuck to a 12 month contract

Much better deal than anything Ionity are giving

Sure. Everyone that's not a Tesla, we'll block the place for the day 😂

When I'm trading in the ID3 I'll be looking for a smaller car and we'll be going bigger then when trading in the Karoq.

Small one for me for work and the bigger one then for family stuff.

I'd be interested to see the new VW Life that was announced or an ID2 in the next few years.

any talk about the irish sites opening up? castlebellingham would be great for my trips north as the single ESB charger is frequently taken..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The pilot is only in the Netherlands for now, and I believe the supercharger sites that were picked all have 10+ stalls.

If that's a requirement, Ireland may never open up.

If it's not a requirement, there seems to be talk that it could be early next year that Tesla opens up more sites in Europe (which will be much easier thanks to the CCS standard connectors, rather than the proprietary ones used in the US for Teslas).

• Advertisement

For the streaming apps, I don't think you need to be tied in to the extortionate car data plan. I think @[Deleted User] (or someone earlier in the thread) mentioned that you can use your own phone as a data hotspot instead.

For updates that seem nice for me

• Auto Lane Change / Lane Change Assist (or whatever it's called) for Travel Assist enabled cars.
    • the configurable charge on SatNav, so it can include that information in your route planning, will be a nice addition (well, adding a feature that should have been there already).
    • Profiles - hopefully this allows for good personalisation (driving mode, etc.) and not just the colours used on-screen. the 135kw charging speed (up from 120) on Tour / Tour 5 will be nice, too. It'll hopefully shave a few mins of a 10 or 20% -> 80% charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, would be interested. I suppose somewhere like Gorey Ionity would suit a lot of east coasters. Handy for South east, Dublin, Carlow etc. Also plenty of parking away from the crowds. Kilcullen would be another good location. Only problem for me is that there is a 50% chance I would be working..

Don't think auto lane change is legal in Europe ?

Indeed you can stream from your phone via android auto or apple car play.

What VW really should do in my opinion is increase the charging curve rather than total charger power so that it receives max power for longer. I think they're being far too conservative especially with the 77 Kwh which charges much the same as the 58 Kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I posted this on the ID.4 thread, sounds like this will be for the 77kW batteries only

Up to 135 kW charging power on the direct current column

The biggest leap since the introduction of the first vehicles based on the modular electrical construction kit (MEB) is in the operating software. The ID.5 is the Group's first electric car to benefit from this. With a higher charging capacity of up to 135 kilowatts and a "more robust charging curve", as a VW manager puts it: The maximum charging capacity on the DC charger should not be available for just a few minutes and when the battery is almost completely empty. The loading time up to a filling level of 80 percent is reduced by a total of nine minutes thanks to the software update. In half an hour, it is promised, the ID.5 will consume enough energy for 390 or 320 kW in the GTX version.

And not only that: ID.3 and ID.4 should also receive the same charging performance via software update at the turn of the year. 

Cool, yes, the charging curve definitely needs to improve but also the ability to warm the battery prior to fast charging or it's meaningless. Also the ability to decide whether the battery heater comes on at all for efficiency for short trips when not preheating off the mains.

Interesting about auto lane change, I thought this was not allowed in Europe.

Would be good if the car could follow the lanes based on sat nav and take the required exit and roundabout.

I expect a lot of stuff will come as subscription in the future.

From what I can see on Tesla forums, Auto Lane Change is allowed in Europe, but the maximum time between a manual intervention (turning on the indicators) to completion of the automated function (car changing lane) can be no longer than 5 seconds or else it aborts the automated action (you stay in your lane).

The information I found is from 2019, so might be have been updated since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Auto lane change I presume means that you indicate and the car changes lanes?

The Tesla Model S I drove in Norway had that feature.

No info yet, but presumably something along those lines. They already have blind spot warning so it shouldn't be a big jump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am keeping a watch out for the monthly We Charge Invoice, getting low enough now on my original €600 allowance. Normally comes in on 1st of month, anyone get theirs yet this month?

Advertisement