Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish nicknames

• 02-11-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Is Paudie a nickname for Patrick in Ireland? I was thinking of going by Paudie occasionally professionally as my name is Patrick. I know that there are older Patricks that are called Paudie in Ireland, I'm just wondering if it is still normal to use Paudie as a shortening or nickname for Patrick, especially for younger people. I'm in my early 20s and would like to go by this occasionally as I'm not too fond of the other shortenings of Patrick. Thanks.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Moved to After Hours from Feedback with redirect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is one of the Irish versions of Patrick. But it can be a given name also, just like Sean instead of John. It is not a nickname.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058018306/whats-in-a-name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Paudie is a nickname for Padraig I thought.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My understanding of a nickname is something like Big Tom or Joxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And Padraig is Irish for Patrick. So Paudie would be ok. You’d want to be a GAA player or traditional musician for it to really work, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

your name is patrick , you can use pat for short, as above unless you are playing irish music or folk music i cant think of a reason to use the word paudie , i understand americans might find padraig hard to pronounce, paudie is just a short version , like mick for michael , a nickname would be something like shorty or cookie , most people outside ireland would not know what paudie means ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You could go with Páid or Páidín

Or Podge 😁

Or go fully Yank and do a "Patty" on it. (Although they tend to use it for ladies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

sometimes, the "at" is dropped from Patrick. Seems to be fairly common in Tipp and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ireland75

Would it be acceptable to start going by the Irish version of my name, which is Padraig, at work and in normal life. Anyone know anybody who has done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I know someone who is David but goes by Dáithí. Ireland has a habit of people being "officially" named one thing and known by another or using their second name as the first e.g. Martin Finbarr but known as Barry. I know a William who uses Liam, a Timothy who uses Tadhg. Then you have your Edmonds or Edwards - Ned, Ted, Ed.... It's a nightmare when it comes to finance paperwork, which is part of my job.

At least you're sticking to the Irish version of your actual name which is straight forward enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's very common. Often where a child is named after a parent (or other family member) one will use the Irish version of the name and one the English, for easy disambiguation. Nobody will bat an eyelid if you do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I know people who are christened

Diarmuid but called joe

Fintan but called Henry

Aidan but called Maura

Margaret but called Peggy

welcome to Ireland

Peggy is a long-established diminutive for Margaret. Pretty well everyone you meet who is called Peggy has "Margaret" on her birth certificate.

But I have to ask: What gender is Aidan, called Maura?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

The first rule of nicknames is....

You don't give yourself a nickname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Aidan Is a guy. Still a guy. He just got the nickname as a child and it stuck ever since. Nothing feminine about him. 6’4 manly man type. Don’t know the back story as to how he got the name

Also, I'm just wondering if it is spelled Padraig or Padraic? Are both the same?

Did anyone have their names rendered in Irish during Irish class at school? I don’t remember it being done myself, other than being told how my name would translate to Irish. But I’ve heard others complain the teacher called them, for example, Séan instead of John, whereas the French teacher wouldn’t dub them Jean when addressing them in French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭thefallingman

If you don't like your name why not just change it

• Advertisement

I would, I'd be changing it to the Irish version, just not legally or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pa is a rural version of Patrick.

Picture a ruddy faced rotund gent, propping up a bar. That would be a 'Pa'.

Or the strongest man in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My Dad's name was Peter. He was educated though Irish, and so was known as Peadar in school. He got a job straight after school (that he worked in until retirement) and was known as Peadar in that, and met my mother soon after and she knew him as Peadar.

His family always called him Peter, Peter was on all his official correspondence, but my mother and her family, and me and my brother, all his work colleagues and all our neighbours called him Peadar.

I remember asking him once what he actually regarded his name as, and he said either one, he wasn't fussy about it.

When my mother was born, her mother wanted to call her Patricia, but her grandmother wanted to call her Mary. For some reason, the grandmother was the one who registered her, so officially - and solely to her grandmother - she was Mary. But all the rest of her family and everyone else in her life called her Patricia.

My wife has a similar situation where Mary is her official name, but no-one ever called her that. She's exclusively known by her middle name.

I know a guy who's known by everyone as "Sally" - surname is O'Brien. (you'd need to be around in the 80s to get it).

In short, you can call yourself whatever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

So , you want to go by the Irish version of Padraig???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I thought nicknames in Ireland were just adding an O to the end of it?

as in Leemo and Damo

padraig is the irish word for patrick, if you live abroad maybe use padraig if you are an irish folk musician, know most people will not know that name unless they are irish, i dont understand how people outside the gaeltacht would want to use irish names, unless there name is sean,

i understand people in america can use strange names, its up to your employer if your name on the payslip ,tax form is patrick, will they allow you to use a different name for work.

if i lived in the uk or usa i would use the name pat or patrick simply to be easily understood .people in ireland make up nicknames ,like joxxer, banjo, among friends etc its not a formal process .

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

Yes, it would be fine to use Paudie or Padraig, whichever version of the name you prefer. Both of those are very common in Ireland, along with many other versions. If your friends/colleagues/family are already used to calling you Patrick, it might be hard (but not impossible) for them to change, but if you are starting off in a new place it might be easier. Both Padraig or Padraic can be used. It's a local dialect/accent thing. Padraig usually sounds like PAW DRIG and Padraic usually sounds like PAW RICK, but either pronunciation can go with either spelling.

I'm not sure if you live in Ireland or abroad. I am guessing abroad. But either way it is fine to use the version of your name that you prefer. It's another matter whether other people go with your preference though. And if you are abroad, it's fine to use any Irish name, even if the spelling or pronunciation would be difficult for non-Irish people. Irish emigrants with Irish names do it all the time. You might see various funny pictures of their names as written on Starbucks coffee cups.

I know people who have changed the version of their name as teenagers/adults. It can be done if you want to do it.

• Advertisement

And to be correct, for Pádraig or Pádraic, there is a "fada" (accent) on the first letter A in Irish.

Paudie doesn't have this, but another version does, Páidí, which is pronounced the same.

i think you can use an irish version, padraig etc the question is will people in your country understand how to pronounce it, even in america people know the name pat or patrick, will customers or people you work with like it ,or find it confusing . i think paudie is an awful name ,sounds like small per dog.anyone who speaks english can pronounce pat or patrick .

paudie is a very old fashioned name to use in 2021 ,mostly used in the gaeltacht .names go out of fashion ,

like cedric or nigel in the uk.

i think you live outside ireland , maybe you want to show your irish heritage by using the irish name

Also, I forgot to say that I know of people of all age groups including in their 20s with each of these versions of the name.

Not many Paudies, but no sign of them disappearing. In 2020 there were 13 Paudies, but fewer than 3 Nigels.

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

Yeah, I'm in Ireland. I was thinking of going by Padraig in work and socially. I'm applying for jobs at the moment and was thinking of introducing myself as Padraig instead of Patrick.

Preferably, you should be able to converse in irish then.

• Advertisement

Even easier so since you are in Ireland.

And there are many more Paudies than the CSO link given above would suggest, because most of the Paudies and other versions would actually be Patrick on the Birth certs. Even most of the Padraigs are probably actually registered as Patrick. I happen to like Paudie as a name. I would prefer it than Paddy.

No, that has nothing to do with a person's name. Although it would be great to have that ability in any case, but it is totally irrelevant to this topic.

I think paddy is OK, padraig is ok, paudie reminds me of a old man from kerry who is a big gaa fan , eg very old fashioned , I'm not a tech expert but if I'm hiring someone I will need to know their Legal name, what's on your birth cert, p60 for the purposes of paying tax, prsi pension deductions etc and also certain jobs require garda screening

Your legal name is on your birth cert, tax forms, drivers license , Id passport

If your legal name is Patrick kelly you should be using that when applying for a job , if you get the job you can simply say I'd like to be addressed as Padraig

Companys have to report deductions paye pensions etc to tax office I think they would need to stick to the legal name to do so to be in compliance

Your prsi pension tax paye is tracked under one single legal name with a unique tax Id no As you work in any company or company's until the day you retire

You have a unique tax ID precisely because there is no legal requirement to have a unique name. In Ireland, as a matter of law, your name is whatever you are known by, which is a question of fact. And, if different people call you different things, you have two names, each of them equally valid legally. This is common - people may use a maiden name in some contexts and a married name in others, or an Irish name in some circles and an English name in others, or a full forename in some situations and a diminutive in others.

There are no legal restrictions on the names, or number of different names, that you can have, either sequentially or simultaneously, other than not adopting a name to perpetrate a fraud. Having and using multiple names may cause confusion and give rise to practical difficulties and may seriously piss off banks, etc, who suspect - wrongly - that you may be using multiple names for fraudulent purposes, but it's not illegal and the names are all perfectly valid. Practical difficulties can often be alleviated by executing and registering a deed poll, but this is more for a situation in which you want to use one name in substitution for another, rather than one name as well as another.

But note that the name must actually be used. You announcing "I am now called Throatwarbler Mangrove" does not mean that Throatwarbler Mangrove is your name. You need to persuade other people to use Throatwarbler Mangrove as your name.

Which means, when you think about it, that ultimately what your name is is decided by other people.

I knew a lad Hugh X, in airports it was "will Hug X" go to... just to let you know that outside Ireland people won't know the name

• Advertisement

I was thinking of using Padraig when I'm in Ireland. If I ever move abroad and people can't pronounce it I can just tell them they can call me Patrick, as that is my legal name anyway. I wouldn't be changing anything legally, will definitely keep Patrick as my legal name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Don’t think you’ll be avoiding “mispronunciations” by only using here.

I knew a lad in college who’d never seen Padraig written down and we had a lecturer with the name. He called him “Pad-rag”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

There are nicknames for surnames as well of course.

"Hopper" McGrath,

"Chalkie" White

"Funky" Gibbons

I can't think of any more right now.

I would go by the way people pronounce their own name, not try to make a rule for them. The piece below is from the Guardian.

When Padraig Harrington held aloft the Claret Jug at the Open on Sunday, sports fans around the world steeled themselves to enter the minefield of Irish pronunciation. Should his name be pronounced paw-drig, pahd-rag, paw-rick or paaah-ric?

All are in fact correct, depending on the district you happen to be in at the time. The name can be spelt Padhraic, Pádraig or Páraic. Until around 200 years ago, Irish society was so tribal and quarrelsome that only poets and seers dared step outside their locality. No one else got to hear how others pronounced things. Southerners were influenced by the Normans, and liked to chew over a word, spreading emphasis everywhere, but particularly on the first syllable - paahw-drig. Northerners swallowed their words, obliterating almost everything except a few consonants at the end - pa'ric.

Harrington's parents called him pawd-rig. By dropping the accent that ought to be on the first 'á', he has made things more complicated. In the same spirit, his ancestors at some point anglicised his surname from the original O hIongardail.

So you get a new job , say I'd like to be known as Padraig, for the purposes of tax forms, payslips my name is Patrick. I think it's simpler to keep using whatever name is on your tax form p60 on your payslip prsi etc

I presume your legal name on your birth cert is patrick

Yeah Patrick is my legal name. I don't want to be confusing people, I'm a bit worried if I go by Padraig that in the future if I work in another country then they might be confused if my legal name is different to what I go by?

I would thought have from the thread title you meant nicknames of surnames.

Up here in Monaghan nearly every common surame ( McKenna, Treanor, Connolly,Smyth etc ) have nicknames to differentiate different families. I know there's nicknames in West Limerick where you're grandfather's and fathers name are your nickname like you'd be Patrick Johnny Mick , instead of Patrick Murphy for example.

I was originally thinking of going by a nickname of Patrick which was Paudie. But apparently that isn't common. However as the thread had developed I'm thinking of going by the Irish version of my name

There shouldn't be any issue with this. Many people have one version of their name in use on official documents and another version in common use and they are able to travel and work abroad. Just make sure your airline tickets match your passport, and other than that just use the spelling you prefer. An office or company in America for example would have no problem understanding that Bob and Robert for example are the same person, or that John is known as Jack. It's the same thing really with Patrick/Padraig/Paudie etc.

In my job there are many people who go by a different version of their name than the one that appears on their payslip, but also even some people who actually use a completely different name; they are called by their second name but their first name is on their documents. My job is in Ireland but it would be the same situation and easily understood in other countries.

It used to be possible for the Passport Office to put a note on one of the pages: "The bearer of this passport is also known as: ......". If you wish, you can find out if this is still possible, and request it the next time you are renewing your passport. Eventually, with enough documents showing that you have used a particular name for some years, you could potentially even change the name in your passport.

Thanks. Yeah hopefully people don't get confused. I guess Padraig and Patrick sound similar anyway, I could just go by both anyway if I need to. I probably wouldn't change it legally as that would probably be too complicated and expensive for me with all the documents I would have to change to

• Advertisement
Advertisement