Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiking.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@Donald Trump Yes, I believe the other 3 went ahead. But my point is that not everyone tells the truth. I genuinely don't know what more the Gardai can do to help victims come forward. Regarding the 2 I mentioned, it's possible that was their choice, but when you are a Garda you get to be privy to information that doesn't usually go public. From what I understood at the time, having spoken to serving Gardai in the area the complainant was from, one had a slight history and the other came back via word of mouth. Again, can't believe 100% that is true either.

Plenty of calls are cancelled by the callers when the Gardai arrive. Which puts them in a hard situation, because if anything happens down the line the Gardai would be blamed for not following up, but they can only follow up if they witness something or a statement is made. People still watch too much American cop tv shows, they really don't understand chain of evidence and actual procedures. Simply put, without a complaint or video evidence, there can't be an investigation (for sexual assault anyway).

But false allegations happen, and it would be unwise to not talk about it imo. False allegations can have a devastating effect on the person accused. Again, I do understand actual victims have a horrible time recounting it, but without that, there is no case really. An off the cuff guesstimation, but from my own experience at least 30% of reports don't make an official report. It's why management pushed the need to get a statement of withdrawal, which can also be impossible to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah of course people lie. The genuine ones shouldn't be diminished by association though.

I agree, which is why I don't believe anyone until I see evidence. I may not say as much to them, but without evidence I'll always internally hold a "hmmmmm" moment. Carry over from my Garda days I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Oh, right, so when you question other people's claims you're being all rational and skeptical, but when anyone else questions your claims, they're just being 'emotional' and 'hysterical' - that's how it works now, is it?

It's starting to smell not so rational at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Funny how it's not the Garda job to believe, but you were very insistent about how they should definitely disbelieve.

It's not hard to see why women withdraw their complaints. And it's not hard to see why the Garda grapevine comes up with stories to blame women.

• Advertisement

What? I don't recall saying they should definitely disbelieve*. Also, I'm no longer one, so only giving my opinion. I'd imagine in the 6+ years since I've left, the service has improved again. And yes, it's not a Gardas job to believe, it's their job to gather facts and evidence.

You obviously have an issue with Gardai, that much is apparent. But now you're making stuff up. You're alleging that people withdraw their complaints because of the Gardai? I take it you have evidence (seeing as you like that kinda stuff)? Or is it just your opinion? If it's just your opinion, grand, believe what you want. Also, Garda grapevine coming up with stories to blame women? What are you actually talking about?

(*Open to correction, but searching on this new forum is terrible and I'm not trawling through 10 pages of this again)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Read back on the thread. From the start it's been a debate between "skeptics" who want to see evidence before a claim is made, and people who find it offensive that evidence should be asked in the first place. Nobody claimed that spiking doesn't happen. Several people voiced their opinion on people making claims before anything has been proven, just to be called misogynistic or worse. How is this reasonable? If the genders were reversed would you still be so willing to believe, or would it be less rewarding with the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes, the normal scepticism should be shown. But we know burglary, bike theft and assaults happen and we know how they happen. Were not even certain this syringe spiking happens or with what frequency.

The fact the the alleged victims are likely drinking has to be taken into consideration. The testimony of a drunk person is not likely as reliable as the same person when they're sober. I didn't mention women in the post at all and I wouldn't consider gender as part of the evidence.

The alleged victims should be shown compassion, of course. But you wouldn't believe someone out of compassion. You believe something after the evidence supports it, don't you?

If someone tells me they were spiked then the standard of proof needed for me to believe them would not be that high.

If someone told me that El_duderino 09 spiked them then that would need a higher standard of proof.

Well, I'm very glad that the second claim would need a higher standard of evidence!

The first case has only 1 claim but the second case is actually 2 claims and they both need evidence to demonstrate them. So from that perspective the second case will need more evidence than the first one. But the first one still needs actual evidence that it happened, not just a claim that it happened. A claim alone isn't enough to believe it happened, is it?

I've heard loads of people claim they had covid around November and December of 2019. There is no evidence apart from the claim that it happened and I couldn't believe it just because those people claim it. But the difference is that its a trivial claim compared to spiking. So the spiking one deserves actual investigation to find out of its true and the other probably doesn't.

• Advertisement

If you were meeting up with your mates and the subject of Dublin city centre came up and one fella mentioned that he had been punched in the head for absolutely no reason when walking out of Supermacs on O'Connell St after a night out 2 years ago, would you need evidence before considering it plausible?

Well therein lies another issue. I would imagine that a person going to the Guards after a spiking is not going just because they were "only" spiked. If you are out in a nightclub,sipping your 7up and then 20 minutes later you are a slurring mess and your friends bring you home and you sleep for 18 hours, then you probably won't go to the Guards.

Where they might go to the Guards is where some fella gets them into a taxi and brings them home and does whatever to them.

Now, how do you prove that specific fella did or did not know the girl was spiked? How do you prove he didn't just think she was a bit too merry or random drunk? He might have been the person who slipped her whatever it was, or he might not. Obviously he still did the wrong thing but unless he was involved in the actual spiking, what he did stands apart from how she ended up in that state.

I think i just addressed the difference between accepting trivial claims and much more significant claims.

But The short answer it that of course it's plausible. We know people sometimes punch other people. The slightly longer answer is that i could accept it as true because it has no real consequence now (except for my friend) and we know people sometimes punch other people. But would I believe it with 100% certainty? No because 100% certainty doesn't really exist as a philosophical concept. But you asked if it's plausible and the answer is yes.

If my friend said he was punched in the head by a method which has never really been shown to exist, then I would reserve belief until there is evidence.

You don't believe that there are substances that, when ingested, cause disorientation or drowsiness or similar symptoms?

Getting punched in the head is not trivial. It doesn't appear that you'd demand evidence if someone told you that they were once randomly attacked and punched. Which is why I don't understand why you'd demand evidence if someone told you that their drink was spiked once. The spiking itself is probably fairly benign in terms of effects and probably less than the random unprovoked punch. The serious part would be what could be done to the person when they are in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So what you're saying is that your friend has been the victim of a completely novel and deadly telekinetic punch! And you don't believe him? For shame!

#Ibelievehim 😉

Joking aside, the narrative around spiking and in particular narcotic spiking is pretty much this.

We are expected to believe any and all claims of same. Even when all available evidence points towards its rarity. Advising any and all people who even suspect they have been subjected to such an attack to report it? Is met with rants about Gardaí and victim blaming 🤷

There is and continues to be a serious issue with alcohol and alcohol spiking. There is also a considerable issue with alcohol consumption itself. Ones tolerance is not a set level and the impact of 4 drinks on 1 night versus 12 another are often completely incomparable. Yet we all too often trot out "I know my limits" as a justification for spiking. It has moved on from bad pint, throwing a whitener, being a lightweight or the drink must have reacted with my meds... To "I've been spiked!" it is all too often an abdication of responsibility, rather than a persistent mystery spiker!

On a personal and wholly anecdotal level. I have managed to get myself into considerably dangerous situations solely via alcohol. As 39y.o a few years ago. Blackout drunk yet functioning "as normal", getting myself over the course of 45minutes from completely lucid, jarred but lucid. To arrested, with a fairly serious injury (inflicted by Gardaí but completely and understandably so in their efforts to restrain me). I have zero memory of the 45 minutes, the arrest or of time spent in custody until @ 7am. From 2am to 7am is a blur at best with not a single memory I can say is a certainty.

Along with over the course of my late teens and early 20's plenty of similar nights out. Where a large portion of the night is at best garbled. Lots of stupid circumstances, the folly of youth or whatever else one wishes to call it. Can I now claim that all instances of exuberant over confidence, stupidity or variable alcohol tolerance? Can now be labelled as potential spiking incidents? As if we are to adopt the notion of believing the claimant? Surely I know my body, and know how I'd react? The reaction and aftermath were totally at odds with every other time I'd gotten drunk, it must have been a surreptitious spiking?

It wasn't, it was a combo of over indulgence and my state of body/health/mind at the time.

We need to normalise reporting, we need to be empathetic to people who've encountered such instances. What we also need to do? Is to ensure that our own drinking culture stops normalisation of massive and rapid over consumption. It has consequences, no need to use a narcotic to spike someone who is already quite intoxicated. Responsible consumption, of alcohol, drugs and any other intoxicant will keep the majority of people far safer. Awareness of your surroundings and friends are what anyone partaking in a "spiking" attack is trying to take away from a potential victim. Let's not make it too easy for them.

Note, you asked if it is plausible and I said it is plausible. But I think that was a poor choice of words because it's not about whether it's plausible or not because plausibility is just the first step to belief - belief is about whether there is evidence or not.

I believe that people can be spiked , it's a fairly understood phenomenon. The new idea that people are being syringe spiked is not understood or even proved to be a common occurrence (insofar as spiking with alcohol is common or spiking with other drugs in powder or pill form is common).

It depends on whether you get the concept of functional belief (functionally accepting something as true) and belief based on evidence. If I ask my Mrs. if she wants me to buy food for dinner and she tells me she has already done it, then I don't have evidence that she's done it but I also don't go home to check if she has done it or buy food just in case she hasn't done it. I functionally accept it as true and behave accordingly. Note I don't demand evidence, I just functionally accept it as true.

If the lad says he was punched 2 years ago i would functionally accept it as true - why wouldn't I when there are no consequences to functionally accepting it as true or not accepting it as true? To me it's just an anecdote (but it could be more significant to the person who got punched). If he wants to go to the police about it then it becomes a different matter and they will need a totally different standard of evidence because they will need to know what happened based on the evidence.

But if you're asking if i can believe (on evidence) a story from 2 years ago is accurate based solely on one person's say so, then no. Would you consider the friend's say so enough evidence of an accurate account of the event? Would you consider a friend saying they were spiked enough evidence to believe (on evidence, not functional acceptance of truth) that they were spiked

Yes, as mentioned in an earlier post, I have a friend who told me she was spiked as a teenager and ended up in hospital. Her sister and her friends brought her to the hospital when they noticed she was out of it. She has never drank due to a potentially serious underlying condition so when they saw her like that they immediately knew something was up and they brought her to the hospital.

I also have another friend (not Irish) who was drugged and assaulted in college. She doesn't drink so when she tells me that she wasn't drinking back then I believe that she wasn't. Similar to what I mentioned to Potential-Monke above, she could identify who did the assault but she could not know for certain whether they were the one who did the spiking

Let's not make it too easy for them.

That's a bit of a silly attitude. If 10 people come forward claiming to be victims and only one is a real victim, you propose putting all 10 through the ringer just to annoy the other 9? You can't do that.

Would you not concede that a perpetrator might target and already intoxicated person? What about that case in London a couple of years ago where they caught some fella who had been approaching random drunk fellas on the street, either offering his couch or more free drink, then drugging them and raping them and filming himself doing it. Some of the victims didn't even know they had been raped until police contacted them to show them the tapes.

Ah a 1 in 10 possibility, that's a great way to build an appeal to emotion. Yet it's not based in any evidence. Evidence is what needs to lead any response, not feelings. Evidence has been posted earlier in this thread that confirms on the medical reports gathered in multiple countries up to 2017, that narcotic spiking is vanishingly rare. On that basis your 1 in 10 is indicative of silliness tbh.

What is the ringer? Without reports, without actual credible evidence of any such activity being widespread as many are claiming?

Reporting doesn't mean conviction, arrest or justice for anyone who has encountered such an attack (Unfortunately). But what is does mean? Is that at the very least a toxicology screen and identification of any administered substance are identified. This can then shape an evidence led policy. Versus the current landscape of panic and affording credibility to sometimes frankly ridiculous claims.

Your mention of the lad in London? I'm going to assume you mean Reynhard Singha? The man convicted of multiple tapes and of using narcotics to do it? This has already been brought up in the thread, and funnily enough is very germane to the point of narcotic spiking that you have missed, either deliberately or by chance?

He isolated drunk people, played a good Samaritan and brought them to his home. A venue where he then proceeded to drug his victims. He didn't cruise clubs and pubs seeking to roofie people before he got them home.

Because controlling and directing a victim in public is both nigh on impossible and incredibly risky. The point you think is a gotcha? Really only reinforces the difficulty that is inherent in administration of narcotic or sedative substances to a victim when you don't have full control of them and their surroundings.

Ah yeah but i asked you about whether you would believe someone was spiked based only on the evidence of one person's say so? In the first case you mention, you have more than just their say so that they were spiked. You mentioned the fact that they don't drink and 2 other witnesses and you haven't mentioned if the hospital staff concluded it was likely a spiking or not but that's still very different to someone just saying they were spiked and having no other evidence (as in your anecdote about your friend saying they were punched 2 years beforehand).

Do you get the difference between functionally accepting something (usually inconsequential) as true, and belief based on evidence?

• Advertisement

So if you think there are 9 out of the 10 people making it up then the Guards should just make it difficult for all of them to report it. Perhaps they should subject them all to "ah g'way outta that. You were just being your usual drunken slutty self and you got what you wanted and now you feel guilty about it and are here wasting your time".

I am not sure what you fail to understand about the reference to your man in London. It was an example of someone targeting already drunk people to drug. It was trying to explain to you that there might indeed be a bias towards already drunk victims when it comes to spiking. You appear to be of the opinion that a person who was drinking cannot have been spiked........................ I can't really explain it any clearer to you.

I don't have any other say so than hers. She told it to me and I didn't demand her medical records or her sister's number to corroborate the story. Why does the fact that she doesn't drink make the story more believable to you? It is actually logically irrelevant to the story.

You must be some craic down the pub:

Random punter: "Jaysus lads, I caught the ball and solo'd it up the field and put it into the top right corner of the net".

El Duderino: "I can't determine whether that is functionally acceptable or whether I would need sworn statements and video footage corroborating your tale before continuing"

@Donald Trump already dealt with Reynard Singha and the circumstances in the above post along with outlying the academic/medical state of play with regard to narcotic facilitated sexual assault. Without reporting of suspected instances? The numbers in the report above are the base line for any response. Unless people report a suspicion, and evidence supporting a claim of narcotic spiking is found?

No evidence of a drug based spiking attack exists, it's not about conviction rates. It's about evidence to support even the basic assertion that a drug was administered in the 1st place.

Your assertion that I am of the opinion that someone can't be spiked if they had been drinking? Could you do me a favour, clarify where I have said that?

Because it's bullshit, it was neither said nor implied by me.

What I have made exceedingly clear? Is that there is near zero evidence for drug based sexual assault. I have reiterated on multiple occasions that unless and until reporting of the suspicion of same is widespread, and actually verified! That it will remain a vanishingly small risk in comparison to the risks of alcohol.

Then, because I noticed you are a fan of anecdotes. I gave my own experience of an incident that could well be labelled a result of spiking. That's surely as valid a piece of evidence as your 2 friends?

Getting to some absurd "logic" now. Two other people can't have been spiked because banie01 got drunk instead of being spiked when he was younger ......................

Again, where has that been said?

What was mentioned was the quality of an anecdote as evidence.

You're really struggling to link things here, did you find where I said someone couldn't be spiked if they were drunk yet?

Or is that just a lie on your part?

Because I quoted you a post where I outlined precisely why drunkenness contributes to the possibility, but now you seem to be ignoring the question and spinning your wheels in bullshit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Jesus!! This could be the ACTUAL Donald Trump! Facts, who cares? Dealing with what the other poster said? Nah, i'll go with whats in my own head!

Yet you appear to trust the anecdote of my friend who can't drink for medical reasons yet ended up in hospital ..... but I reckon if that story had been that she assured me she genuinely only had 2 vodkas and ended up in hospital you'd be casting shade on her story...................

So what facts are these? The two people I know who told me about being spiked have now proven to be liars because banie01 wasn't able to handle his drink a few times?

Whatever works for you dude.

How messed up does one have to be to think that, in a conversation about whether spiking ever happens, that a rebuttal of evidence that two people were spiked is that they themselves were not.

That's twice you've used the term "demand evidence". But I haven't suggested i would ask for any more evidence in the case of something that has little consequence (to me) at all. I might just accept it as functionally true, maybe exaggerated unintentionally, maybe misremembered, maybe intentionally trying to mislead, maybe bang on accurate. But is the stakes are low then it's easy to functionally accept it as true.

And since you got the term "functionally accept as true" wrong, would it be fair to say you don't understand the difference between functionally accepting something as true and believing something based on evidence?

• Advertisement

I am going to list a few claims of things you have claimed I said or 8mplied over the last hour or so.

"You appear to be of the opinion that a person who was drinking cannot have been spiked."

I've asked you to point out where I said this? You've ignored it.

Two other people can't have been spiked because banie01 got drunk instead of being spiked when he was younger.

I asked you to point out where this was done? Guess what? Much like your namesake, you ignored it and made another false claim.

And this one's a doozy 👍

"Yet you appear to trust the anecdote of my friend who can't drink for medical reasons yet ended up in hospital"

Where have I done that? Where have I said I believe the story? I have been at pains to point out the difference between anecdote and evidence. I gave you examples of both. My tale of woe regarding my own blackout, and actual evidence collated from multiple institutions worldwide and presented in a fairly easy to read report.

One is evidence, the other is a story. Which should one afford more weight to?

The person telling such a story should be afforded time, care and compassion and support to both recover and reconcile with the impact of their experience.

Without evidence however? That story has no more credible basis than alien abduction.

Now, any chance you could address the claims you have made about what you think I've said and direct me to them? Maybe it's me, maybe I am saying those things and I'd certainly like to see the evidence of it.

Advertisement