Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's still sharp practice at best though- The whole "Supporting the National Broadband plan" line is disingenuous at best.

The National Broadband plan puts them out of business ,period (albeit not for a few years yet). They have refused to become resellers of the service and were rejected early doors as a potential solution as their technology isn't up to it .

Claiming to "Support" the NBI plan when in reality any and all delays to the plan are critical to their business survival is marketing spin at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niallniall

Just got this email from NBI after asking the same question,

"The NBI network is being delivered over the very latest fibre broadband technology, meaning every line is future proofed to deliver up to 10Gb speeds directly into your home or business. With initial speeds of 1Gb and with a minimum speed of 500Mb, our network will be ready to grow as your data needs do."

If my current phone line infrastructure were upgraded and a data signal of 500Mb was available, I would be quiet happy as this would fullfill amost average peoples needs.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

If you are not in the IA and already get speeds 30+ over FTTC then you will eventually be upgraded through Open Eir. Nothing to do with NBI.

Also NBI support is a waste of time. Its template responses/mass reply stuff.

Open Eir!, explain please? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The wholesale infrastructure division of eircom, the holding company.

Eir is their retail division.

• Advertisement

Just checked Open Eir and got this for my area!

Great News!

We can presently provide our Fibre to the Cabinet service to this premises with speeds up to 100Mbps

To find available pricing and packages, please contact your preferred service provider Retail Service Providers who sell our network are listed hereIn addition we have included this area in our upgrade program, which means we are planning to deploy Fibre to the Premises (1Gbps full fibre connection) 

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GreenJedi

Has anyone out here joined up with Sky Fiber Broadband lately? I've been there with them for about 3 weeks, and half that time the phone didn't work as the VOIP wasn't activated on their side (a=mber light the entire time), after 4 days phoning and twitter it finally worked (4 green lights on my sky hub..) I am on the 1000 Mbps deal with them, after a quick speed test on my laptop i'm getting speeds a lot lot less than that, and a lot less on what some people have posted photographs of on here. SKY told me my line speed is fine but wont tell me the result of a speed check on their end, but I've no way of checking accurately if I'm getting anything near what I'm paying for. Could someone on here give me a brief description of what sort of wifi speeds I should expect inside if I'm on the 1Gmps contract. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Don't test using WiFi,plug your laptop straight in to the router and disconnected your laptop from WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Just got an email from Brisknet saying fibre to go live on the 1st of December with installations following.

Roscommon DA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

On the Imagine thing and perhaps this is just coincidence that flyers have been printed and their salespeople are referencing NBI but at the recent committee meeting a department official stated:

NBI has gone to every operator in the market and asked for potential solutions to address specific scenarios. One of the scenarios is exactly what the Deputy represented, that being, if Eir or another commercial operator's fibre is going past a particular home, can NBI extend it to address that home? Five companies have been shortlisted as part of the process. NBI is anticipating that it will start piloting the implementation of solutions for scenarios like that early next year. If the pilot is successful, it could be rolled out to a greater number. It could potentially include point-to-point solutions from wireless solutions. Where the best and most feasible solution to a scenario in the shorter term is point-to-point from a wireless provider and if there is an opportunity to do so, then that will be on the table through the process in question.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_social_protection_community_and_rural_development_and_the_islands/2021-10-20/speech/72/

We can assume that Imagine were at least approached if "every operator" was asked. The question now is were they one of the five companies shortlisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 moc1985

Installed yesterday morning

Absolute game changer from 4mb with imagine (in the eve if I was lucky) to over 800mb down and 115mb up 👏

NBI seem to have gone extremely quiet on any new survey progress.

There last "we are now surveying in" looks to be August 20th 😨

Have any areas recently been updated from Pending survey to survey planned or survey underway?

Its frustrating how slow their survey progress is, considering this was one area where they said they had full control over and would be able to ramp up.

Really happy for you, enjoy and something for the rest to hope for as it is possible to get a better service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I actually ordered it and was pleasantly surprised with the speeds. Had a prepay router that was awful before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Another misleading headline from the Business Post.

https://twitter.com/peterodwyer1/status/1457112307574747145

There's a group out there that are so tee'd off with the Granahan McCourt/enet/Denis Naughten shenanigans that they're happy to see the NBP fail if it vindicates their disgust at what the think happened in 2018 and before. I'd guess nearly all of them have decent BB connections.

I guess a more positive headline would be "Almost 28,000 homes and firms can now place order under the National Broadband Plan", depends on which slant the journalist puts on the article. As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water ...,", etc., same goes for premises in my opinion, build the infrastructure and people will subscribe when ready, as existing contracts end or as in my case a WISP decides to shut its network due to the erosion of its customer base due to competition from fibre rollout.

This made me smile

Further details seen by the Business Post show that 272,000 premises across the country have been surveyed, while "detailed designs" have been completed for 226,000 of those homes and businesses.

We've all seen them, they're on the front page of the NBI website.

The headline quotes the costs from the Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA). That excludes the benefits i.e. the revenues and wider societal benefits.

We know that the actual subsidy is capped at €2.6Bn including contingencies. The difference between the two methodologies has been explained to the Business Post but they continue to headline the higher figure (the costs in the CBA) without offsetting the benefits.

IMO they should know that the higher figure is likely to be confused with the actual subsidy in the mind of a casual reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Fewer than 3,000 homes and businesses have been connected to high-speed internet under the multibillion-euro National Broadband Plan in the first 21 months of its rollout, the Business Post has learned.

The €5.7 billion rural broadband scheme is now lagging far behind its initial rollout target of making the network available to 115,000 premises by the end of the second year of the contract, which runs until the end of January 2022, and is now aiming to reach just 60,000 premises by that date instead.

As of mid-October, National Broadband Ireland (NBI) had passed just 17,000 of those 60,000 premises.

The Business Post has learned that of those homes and businesses with access to the network, just 2,700 had signed up and been connected to it by October 27.

The revelation is likely to heighten fears about the slow pace of the rollout and the prospect that tens of thousands of customers will have to wait years for a reliable high-speed broadband connection.

With less than one-third of the 60,000 premises passed fresh doubt is also likely to be cast on NBI’s ability to meet its targets for 2021 which it only revised downwards earlier this year. A further 13,000 or so premises can “pre-order” broadband from NBI.

NBI has been contracted to connect 544,000 premises and about 1.1 million people over the course of the seven-year rollout.

Further details seen by the Business Post show that 272,000 premises across the country have been surveyed, while “detailed designs” have been completed for 226,000 of those homes and businesses.

It typically takes about 18 months from a property being surveyed for broadband to be made available to a customer.

NBI, which is headed by David McCourt, the US businessman, is in a race to survey, pass and connect as many homes and businesses as possible before the end of the year, having already faced severe criticism for the significant delays in rolling out the network to date.

The Business Post first reported that just 632 of the 540,000 premises covered by the plan were using the network as of mid-June.

NBI and the Department of Communications both declined to provide details of the number of premises using the network since controversy flared over the small number of connections revealed by this newspaper.

The Business Post, however, last week obtained the most up-to-date figures on the rollout, including the number of connections to the NBP network to date.

NBI has attributed the delay to the Covid-19 pandemic which it said slowed its progress and restricted some subcontractors from carrying out work on the network at the same pace as they otherwise would have, despite work being permitted to carry on over the last 18 months.

A spokesman for NBI said the company was “continuing to scale its operations in every county across Ireland to deliver the NBP as quickly and effectively as possible”.

He added: “NBI has previously indicated that 60,000 premises will be passed by the end of its contract year and that remains the current projection.”

The spokesman said connections to the network were “above the industry average, and growing all the time”.

Ossian Smyth, the junior minister at the Department of Communications, last week told the Dáil that in addition to the Covid-19 pandemic, NBI had faced “a range of other challenges due to the sheer scale and complexity of rolling out fibre to the home in a rural environment”.

“These include significant tree-trimming to ensure cable can be placed on overhead poles, remediation of ducting that has been in place for many decades, the coordination of hundreds of contracting crews and addressing the many issues arising weekly which could not have been foreseen until the building crews commenced work on the ground,” he said.

It remained the government’s intention to roll out the rural broadband scheme “as quickly as possible”, he added.

NBI has 280 employees working for it, as well as a team of more than 900 sub-contractors.

The company has claimed relief under the contract for delays caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and, as such, has not faced any penalties for missing its targets to date.

However, NBI is under further pressure to accelerate its rollout and make up lost ground as financial penalties can be levied against the company from February 1, 2022 should it continue to miss milestones.

Subsidy payments can also be withheld if premises aren’t passed in line with targets agreed with the department. NBI has yet to agree 2022 targets with the department.

Any further delay could also open the door to private operators seeking to expand their networks into the NBP’s intervention area.

Eir already took 300,000 premises that had been earmarked for the NBP and instead brought its network to those homes and businesses thus removing them from the state-backed plan before the final NBP contract was signed.

Commercial operators haven’t publicly stated their intention to make similar inroads into the area covered by the NBP since then, but the possibility is envisioned under the contract which provides for contingency payments to be made to McCourt’s company under such a scenario.

Encroachment contingency payments are capped at a total of €100 million under the terms of the contract and included in the overall maximum state subsidy of €2.7 billion.

Peter Hendrick, the chief executive at NBI, told the Oireachtas Communications Committee last month he was confident the seven-year rollout plan could be delivered on time, or earlier, and on budget.

NBI has been paid €132.3 million by the state since the rollout began in January 2020.

And jumping on the bandwagon:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

As of mid-October, National Broadband Ireland (NBI) had passed just 17,000 of those 60,000 premises.

nbi.ie states that 27,558 premises are available for order.

Further details seen by the Business Post show that 272,000 premises across the country have been surveyed, while “detailed designs” have been completed for 226,000 of those homes and businesses.

This matches the NBI site so one wonders why they chose the lower number above...

NBI has been paid €132.3 million by the state since the rollout began in January 2020.

This is exactly in line with the overall budget for the entire rollout at €4800 per premises. €2.6b for 544k premises comes out at €4779 per premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Just bought a house in West Wicklow (got the keys on Fri). By chance spotted an NBI guy outside the gaff about 30 mins ago so asked him what the story was. He said there's a blockage further up the N81 at the minute that they are working on, but it should be available to us early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Welcome to the area. Yes, there's a lot of work going on in West Wicklow but don't hold your breath for early next year. If it arrives, great, but my eircode is April to June 2022 and I'm hoping we're not pushed out further. Is your eircode the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

South County Dublin here, but part of the Blessington DA. Took almost a year to have our Eircode added to the intervention area (it was not included due to an error). Neighbours showing April to June 2022 and cable has been going up on poles in the area over the last few weeks.

Hoping to be included in the initial rollout but as of today we are showing Survey Pending. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

NBI aren't hanging around in Wexford, hedge cutting done on Thursday and putting up fibre cable/blowing through ducts today.

--- Dáil Report ---

• Some more context on delays.
    • Denis Naughten TD advises/demands the re-instatement of the BB & Mobile taskforce. (Agreed to by Minister)

...and a suggestion from Minister Ossian Smyth TD that NBI's relative newcomer relationship with contractors has weighed against it.

All of the major fibre installers have had delays and have been affected by Covid. I have spoken with them directly about that. NBI is a brand new company which is not directly comparable with Eir. It is reliant on contractors with which it has shorter relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I have the same dates listed alright. Discovered an NBI cable sticking up out of the ground outside the house, covered by a traffic cone. Before buying the house I figured there would be inevitable delays and it would be a few years before it'd get there. With the cable already being there and them actively working on it, it does give me at least some hope it'll get there within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

Hi,

Spent the last while seeing if this had been asked/answered but couldnt find. We moved into new build recently and there is fibre on the poles about 400m from house and the neighours across the road are connected. Checking NBI site has me down as survey pending and shows distance as .4k. Is there any way to find out when / if they will return to survey or to speed up the process as with 3 people working from home it's a pain on current setup.

Thanks,

Ruairi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Send your Eircode into your local Broadband Officer, and let them know the situation. What deployment area are you in?

Advertisement