Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power over coaxial

Options
  • 12-10-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Is it possible to use coax to wire a domestic light switch.

I have a light in the attic that I want to be able to control from the landing. There is already 2 coax cables in a coax box on the landing and I am thinking I could use those as the live and switched live for the light switch. switch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

No. You can't do 220V power over co-ax. it would be insane to try it.

It would work alright, but it would be deadly dangerous. Years in the future someone might see a seeminly harmless co-ax cable, cut it, and die.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LimerickGray

Ouch. That would hurt. I’ll try to use the coax to pull in two core instead. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

No it wouldn't hurt a bit. You'd be stone dead. Instantly.

If you need to ask the question of whether you should run 220V through co-ax then, in my opinion anyway, you shouldn't be doing anything with electrics. Get an electrician is my advice.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jeez... If that your level don't do any electrical work or wiring. Get a professional. Also no 2 core for electrical.

It's scary what people will try. 😰😰

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Perfectly possible.

Use a 24V masthead amp PSU to drive a n/o relay in a JB in the loft. Use the contacts to switch the existing lighting circuit. Don't forget to take a permanent ground to the low Voltage supply though.

A bit long winded, but there are very good practical reasons why coax is rarely used to control or power anything other than RF equipment.

SK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LimerickGray

SCOLDED - I stand corrected........a simple NO was more than enough. It was actually really easy. to drop new 3 core cable into the partition

Advertisement