Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

So today, because they don't like the verdict of the independent report that found Owen Paterson guilty of multiple breaches of the lobbying rules, the Tories are going to rally round one of their own and vote to overrule the decision and establish a new body with a tory majority. Even by their standards, this is simply breathtaking. This is where the opposition needs to start earning its stripes. Tinpot stuff in action.

There is a bit more to it than just trying to overturn the Paterson decision, MPs have been complaining about this for some time and it seems even some Labour MPs want the system overhauled, which if that is what is needed, then so be it.

But doing this retrospectively is shameful. Suspend Paterson and throw him back to his constituency and see what they think. then overhaul the standards system.

If they were being driven by a righteous and long standing concern over procedure, then they wouldn't be proposing the creation of a new body with a tory majority. What else is that but simple gerrymandering? It's pretty brazen and transparent and merely creates the impression that if the rules or regulations don't suit them, they'll simply amend them until they do. Jenrick, Patel and now Paterson. It's not, as one labour mp suggested, a return to 1990s sleaze. Back then, mps resigned or were fired. Today they don't seem to be accountable or seem to even think they should be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In the twitter comments, it is said that 6 of the 59 Tories have had findings against them by that committee.

I think it says that corruption is rife in this Government, led by a PM who is well documented as a liar and a cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This is what happens when you have a leader who only cares about loyalty. You get a cabinet full of incompetent ministers and you get blatant corruption being tolerated. As long as you toe the line and don't talk down Brexit you are free to do what you want without any accountability.

• Advertisement

Matthew Parris, former tory mp, was on sky earlier and expressed the view that this whole thing is about brexit. I agree but it's also about power. For the past week, ever since the report was released, the telegraph has been waging a relentless campaign on behalf of Paterson, daily wielding all their formidable arsenal to undermine the entire process and cast slurs on the independence and integrity of the commissioner. These powerful people simply can't stand the idea that there is a civilian out there to whom they are held accountable and that person simply must be destroyed. Some of the stuff they are writing about the commissioner seems borderline actionable to me, though I'm no legal eagle to be fair. It's pretty shoddy and disgraceful at a bare minimum anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Leadsom’s amendment has passed. U.K. moves one step closer to tinpot state. Orban would be proud.

The case against Paterson is so cut and dried that, despite vigorously and repeatedly claiming his own innocence, not one colleague stood up in the commons debate over some 90 minutes and backed him up on that. Not a single one. And yet, most of them then dutifully went through the aye lobby to almost certainly ensure Paterson will never face any sanction for his "egregious" breaches of the rules. Tells you all you need to know about the contempt these people have for the rule of law and for those who elected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

@Aegir is this a party of conservatism today ? It seems like a swinging indictment of power at all costs and absolute power with no consequence. This is extremely dangerous waters. It can no longer be dressed up as anything else and FPTP allows it to flourish.

Frankly I think entire opposition bench should walk out. Show that on TV and the newspapers. What would that do to bring public attention properly to this matter.

Post edited by listermint on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Grand gestures is all that gets through to a wide audience. Next time either Leesdom or Paterson walks into the chamber just get up and walk out into parliament square.

It's no surprise really that the erosion of controls on lobbying became a target. Isn't this why the vested interests have been pushing this odious Eton boy Bully club member.

Bridges for buddies contracted to buddies, IT contracts for buddies, influence and access traded for house renovations. Don't worry though because when the public have to eat this $h1t it will be packaged in Union Jack wrapping and seasoned with "non EU" salt

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Shameful day for Westminster. I see the DUP's Sammy Wilson voted for it which comes as no surprise. I wonder will there be a backlash to this and will it resonate with the public like the expenses scandal, or is this going to be yet another thing the Tories get away with?

I think it's hard to say. Kuennsberg was tweeting earlier, calling it a "proper Westminster village story" so i guess she doesn't consider it will get much wider traction anyway. And even if she's wrong, there is i think a tendency among some sections of the public to generalise their response to these issues, as in a plague on all their houses, they're all at it etc. You'd like to think there's a tipping point somewhere, where this administration simply drowns in its own trough of corruption, but it's hard to be confident of that happening anytime soon at the same time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Tories have the backing of most of the press, the BBC and ITV, but not Ch4 - but that is up to be sold to a chum, so who will start the fight back?

Propaganda, according to Goebbels - pick a big lie and repeat it endlessly. It is hard to fight - particularly if the liars refuse to engage but just repeat the lies as if they were facts.

Britain is doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The actions of a failed state

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

How low can you go? If you're a Tory MP, where does it end?

Where does it end? When the money runs out.

Historically (since WW II and probably WW I), the British Pound has always suffered from a balance of payments deficit, and an ECHEQUER deficit - which will require significant action to rectify - either or both interest rate rises and tax rises will be needed and the later they are, the more swingeing they will be. Such measures affect the poor more than the rich.

The CoL was a major driver of the economy, but Brexit has neutered it.

The Tories might be filling their boots, but it cannot continue for very long - people (voters) notice.

Britain is doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The people of Britain are being failed as much or more by HMs Loyal Opposition than by Her Majesty's Government.

There is something of a stalemate though, and its in the British psyche, the 50% who supported Brexit WILL NOT admit they are wrong and will put the head in the sand to anything the Tories do now, at least until a year or so out from the next General Election when the post Brexit and post pandemic effects have washed through, for good or ill.

To such voters its about saving face, its about deflecting the humiliation of Brexit reality, its about a siege mentality and not showing weakness or being deterred, its about being strong on illegal immigration, about getting behind the useless trade deals with outer Mongolia and Jupiter.

Keir Starmer would want to get very busy about breaking down that wall, rather than giving platitudinous speeches at the dispatch box and being utterly ineffective in the ground game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bear in mind that this is the system that was set up, with cross-party support, after the expenses scandal. Now its being overturned in a partisan fashion because it's embarrassing the government.

This particular development doesn't happen in isolation; there's already public concern about waste and corruption surrounding the staggering amounts of public money that have been awarded to well-connected people who didn't have to go through normal tendering procedures or value-for-money checks, and the newspapers have had their share of stories about unusable PPS rotting at the docks, and ferry contracts being awarded to companies with no ships, and Johnson himself is widely seen to be on the take, receiving lavish gifts and emoluments from undisclosed sources. So I think the Tories are on thin ice here.

I think this could be a serious miscalculation by the Tories. Remember that the last long run of Tory governments - 1979-97 - was brought to an end partly because, in the later years, the Tories became firmly fixed in the public mind as the "party of sleaze".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The term "sleaze" is part of the problem. It minimises corruption and criminality to something that sounds so much more minor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I agree. Affairs with secretaries are sleaze. This is the sort of constitutional chicanery you'd expect to see in somewhere like Hungary.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I can but hope.

These things have occurred in the lifetime of this government yet they're still leading in the polls. Sufficient numbers of voters don't seem to be bothered by it.

Scandal after scandal, yet here they are still with I think a 6 point lead over Labour.

Maybe this is the tipping point? I just don't think so though.

Will the ex-red voters in traditionally red seats, who switched to Boris and all his union jacks last time, wake-up and see how they're being manipulated?

They voted for brexit and supporting the tories in the last election was their way of doubling down on that vote. If Johnson convinces them continuously that they're knee-deep still fighting the brexit battle against an untrustworthy and selfish EU then I can't see those votes changing tbh. Rally behind your flag, and all that rhetoric. If they've got a compliant BBC then they're almost there.

I'm surprised you sunk to that level, I thought you could see beyond the tabloidesque headlines. I'm still very surprised to hear someone still banging on about "Tendering Processes" that apparently should have taken place in the middle of a pandemic, especially when that someone gave us a very good post about the inefficiencies of government tendering.

SNIP. Don't derail the thread.

I don't know how the current system works, to me it seems to pivot a great deal on the actual commissioner which I don't think is ever a good thing, because whether they are biased or not, that allegation will always be throw at them. I agree though, this is a massive miscalculation from the government and will undoubtedly bite them on the arse. The only problem Labour will now have, is that they are just seen as the party that cries wolf all the time with rubbish such as "Giving contract to ferry companies with no ferries" and other such tosh.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You miss the point, Aegir. Of course in a pandemic there may be good reasons for short-circuiting normal public procurement processes. And of course doing that may open up opportunities for graft and corruption. And, realistically, both of these factors are likely to be at play to some extent.

From an electoral point of view what matters here is how the thing is perceived by the public. Issues that look like they might involve corruption in pandemic procurement are at much greater risk as being perceived or assumed to be corrupt if the people involved have a bad reputation in this regard for other reasons. These things are cumulative. For example, the pandemic-related instances will be viewed in the light of Johnson's fairly open venality and sense of personal entitlement and his willingness to accept things he clearly ought not to accept, like free luxury holidays. How likely is it that a party in thrall to such a man would be vigilant about corruption? By the same token, his casual attitude to truth does not inspire confidence in the party as a whole to be truthful about things that might embarrass it, so they lose credibility. Similarly, the organised move to shield Paterson from the consequences of earning more from lobbying activities than he does from being a public representative is not a good look. It won't escape people's notice that the firms that were paying him what look like fairly extravagant sums to "advise" them were among those that received lucrative contracts without the tiresome bother of a competitive tender or a transparent process. When these things appear to be connected, when they are all taken together, it starts to look like a systemic problem.

It may well be that people are perceiving a pattern that isn't entirely there. From an electoral point of view, that doesn't matter; it's the perception that will drive how people vote. Which is why the Tory party needs to be vigilant not to create the conditions in which such a perception will arise, and will be intensified. Maybe they do need to cut short tendering processes for emergency procurement, but they do not need to accept free holidays or home redecoration from undisclosed donors; they do not need to cultivate a reputation for studied dishonesty; they do not need to accept lavish lobbying contracts to exploit public office to represent private interests, and they do not need to change the MPs' ethical standards processes retrospectively to shield the likes of Paterson. if they do these things, then their claims that all the corners cut in pandemic-related procurement were cut solely in the public interest are much less likely to find traction with the electorate.

In short, right now is a time when, if they do not need to do things like this, they very much need not to do them.

It appears the Tories have been spooked by the blowback that they have been getting from constituents and the Daily Mail actually running this on their front page (unlike The Sun who had a story about a feud between CountDown presenters as their leading story - funny that).

I'm not sure that's exactly what's happened tbh. They already knew even before they introduced it that the idea of a new committee, with a locked in tory majority (!?!), was a total non starter. Once opposition leaders said they'd have nothing to do with it, it was already baked. Until they back down, apologise to the commissioner for undermining her role and her investigation and agree that Paterson should face the sanctions recommended (which, let's remember, are remarkably lenient due to his personal circumstances being taken into account), I don't think any serious u turn can said to have taken place. It just puts them in a stand off position which is where I think they wanted to be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Paterson has now stepped down as an MP according to Sky Nnews

Owen Paterson has decided to resign as the MP for North Shropshire, saying: "I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics."

Read talk about a recall petition so might be a case of jumping before he is pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The recall petition needs the suspension. But anyway, doesn't matter now.

Three by elections all in super safe Tory seats coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"The cruel work of politics" the poor little victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

According to Patterson (and the Times's parliamentary sketch writer) there was some comments from the Labour benches when the PM referred to Patterson's wifes's suicide which he took to be mocking.

Advertisement