Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Choose life was a well meaning slogan from a 1980s anti drug campaign. The Toymans recent piece for Trinity reminded me of it.

Choose death, choose misery, choose grief, choose asking a child about their siblings brain surgery, choose winging it every single day, choose efficient tax structures, choose bullying, choose cronyism and choose soliciting freebies, choose name dropping at every conceivable opportunity, choose racist Irish generalisations, choose actively trying to make people cry for entertainment, choose making guests feel awkward and uneasy, choose a fake personality, choose hypocrisy, choose giving up on things at the first sign of effort, and “when you reach that fork in the road - choose fun”. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

👏👏👏👏 you forgot choose to be a good egg 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

David McCullagh's new book sounds interesting I think I know a Christmas stocking where a copy will turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Tubridy is an entitled ladyman. In some ways he's more evil than Joe.

Talk to Tubs, he'll wring out those tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Hills sounds a bit fed up talking about Trump. She is on to sell the book Stickman. Get back to the book. You are out of your dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Windowsnut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I bet he put on his big boy blazer for that interview this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Advertisement

The IT seems to think that misery mining is a virtue.

"By way of whetting the appetite for this year’s show, Tubridy describes the theme as “postwar fun and games”. This mightn’t sound especially enticing for anyone other than any older listeners pining for the return of ration cards, but the host is undeterred. “It’s very special,” he promises."

"The singer’s (Nadine Coyle's) cheerful reticence is maybe understandable, particularly when talking about the recent death of her erstwhile bandmate Sarah Harding, but it’s hardly challenged by the host’s questions, which are softball even by celebrity-chat standards."

"An altogether different mood pervades Wednesday’s interview with Marie Sullivan, whose 23-year-old daughter, Arwen, took her own life last year. Surprisingly, given this dreadful event, Tubridy adopts a breezy tone when talking to Sullivan. The host’s approach may be unexpected but isn’t inappropriate; rather, he helps put his guest at ease as she recalls her “kind, caring, loving” daughter."

"The host’s instinct is to take the conversation into more positive space: “I don’t want to bring you to any darker corners.” He does this by discussing his guest’s experience of coping with her unspeakable loss. Sullivan says she takes things one day at a time: “That’s how I’ve managed my grief: I just look at the very next thing I have to do, and I can do that.” She adds that the Covid-19 lockdown actually helped. “The whole world stopped, and that felt right.” "

I sometimes wonder if we're the ones out of step here. I can't understand how people find this kind of thing acceptable. A toxic character working for a toxic organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I dont get how anyone can praise Tubridy for putting on a breezy tone when talking about such a tragic death. It might be fair enough if Tubridy wasn't so misery obsessed in general, but his shows are largely based on misery. He tries to cover this up with token comments like "I dont want to dwell on death but..." or else he'll start fake laughing at the "divilment" some dead person used to. But if he wants to be upbeat and produce a "fast-paced entertaining show", why not just stop interviewing people about death altogether?

After a week of misery on radio he goes on the LLS to ask Billy Connolly pointless questions about death, "whats your relationship to mortality", "do you ever think about your dead mother?". Mad stuff. Look what he did to Barry McGuigan and then hadnt even the courage to take responsibility for it.

These positive spins he pretends to put on death are just insulting. He just wants tears, that's it. And he wouldnt talk about it if there was any tragedy in his own family. Sure didnt he try mute conversations about Gerry Ryan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Mick Heanys reviews of Stickman are always positive.

I belive Mick knows Ryan personally and it's very hard to be critical of someone when you know then and like.

As aside Ryan brought us Mick's dad Seamus, his mam and his uncle while interviewing Hillary. And was very complimentary about them. But I doubt anyone would dispute Seamus skilll as a poet.

I sometimes wonder if we're the ones out of step here. I can't understand how people find this kind of thing acceptable. A toxic character working for a toxic organisation.

That's an interesting comment.

Mick Heaney is a professional and as such his reviews take a more nuanced path than the sort of criticism found in this thread.

I don't always agree with his reviews but I always read them because he his never dull.

TBH he is unlikely to ever come out with as strong a line against a presenter as posters on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Returning to this thread, why you might ask. Only to kick myself... Should I ask how often he's mentioned The Toy Show since?

While some comments on the presenters style here can be quite caustic, I don't see why a critic should not be caustic if required towards a presenter.

I didn't hear the show above but the article is actually conveying a very balance view of the presenter

But while The Late Late Show is a reliable source of fascination for Tubridy on the wireless – he spends a fair amount talking about past and future episodes – he doesn’t always seem as enthusiastic about his guests’ television ventures.

To me this sums up Tubs in almost all interviews he carries out. It's a bizarre back handed complement of an article

Surprisingly, given this dreadful event, Tubridy adopts a breezy tone when talking to Sullivan. The host’s approach may be unexpected but isn’t inappropriate;

To me Tubs is anything but helpful at putting people at ease, he's almost always bored.

As I say I don't listen to him and I don't watch the late late, and TBH I am much happier not listening to how wonderful the Toy Show is, when no one can say a bad word against it or its presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gawd I heard a few lines of a two jonnies song about coppers and i want to die

• Advertisement

Marty morrissey is giving tubs a masterclass this morning (stand in)

enthusiastic, optimistic and I’m listening to subjects I’ve no interest in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Heard Callan as I was steering the slab down the Fiddy.

Not a word promoting the Shinners or indeed politics?

I wonder did he get a warning to stop his Shinner shilling on the Taxpayers dollah or lose the gig.?

Will keep a close ear on further stand in performances.

is himself meeting his "toy show cabinet" with his "minister for musicals" etc ??? :) his words not mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

I like Callan's "monologues" when he fills in, can be witty enough at times. It's over to Pat once the interviews start tho.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the Bily Barry bunch will have their own blurb here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Tubs off this week again?

2 days into a new week and not a single comment about his show.

He's back with the "emails from listeners" this morning....

Just heard for the first time this week and he was talking about JFK. Trump bashing. Boris bashing. He's a bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Climate anxiety....

I have anxiety of hearing about climate anxiety!

East coast of Ireland to be underwater by 30 years...

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

He says he has loads of great texts regarding the climate interview, and he will read them out ofter the ads, then ignores them to play of a shite version of Radiohead song Creep

The only person I heard tubs disagree with (bully) was Peter casey.

Any one else he agrees with his guests 100%. Like the man talking about the environment saying we shouldn't be flying off abroad and we should explore the country we live in. Tubs i agree i agree. Forgetting he never shuts up about Iceland and flying to new York. .. Hypocrite 😞

WTF will Ryan do all day when he can no longer go for "his walks" along Dun Laoghaire pier?

plenty of mid-sentence laughing today. It's never actually quite clear what he's chuckling at. Sometimes he'll even open the show laughing at some untold joke between him and his team.

Maybe they're laughing about all the free shít they're about to haul in throughout the upcoming "Buy overpriced Irish stuff you dont need" campaign?!

The laughing reminds me of the old heh heh heh...

I would guess the laughing is to "inject some fun" into the show.

I'd say it's a deliberate tactic by him and the team. Like you are listening to a show where everyone is great craic and its just so much fun.

• Advertisement

The laughing is definitely a deliberate ploy, it really kicked off after the outcry following the darkest days of radio and late late misery in the lockdown. He almost came on in hysterics some mornings and was at pains to mention how much fun things were - basically unable to catch his breath or even formulate a sentence as he was laughing too much.

Yeah, 100%. This does seem to be the modus operandi on many a shít radio show.

Sounds particularly deranged with Tubridy - as if he thinks random fake laughter will turn misery into entertainment.

"so...heh heh heh.... when did your eh...heh heh heh....husband .....heh heh.....you know....heh heh heh... die in that terrible...heh heh ...terrible accident.....heh heh....was it before or after you were .... heh heh heh...diagnosed with the old...heh heh heh.... terminal illness?....heh heh heh"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

To me Tubs is anything but helpful at putting people at ease, he's almost always bored.

He does not appear to have any interest in people, or any natural ability to relate to interviewees.

I can't watch the LLS or listen to the radio show. I tried. But he is so uneasy, and unempathetic that I had to give up a long time ago. From any brief clips I have seen online, of the Toy Show, he makes it all about himself, and what costume will he be wearing, and tries to project a vibe of 'I'm just an overgrown kid, me' which, imo, strikes a very false note, in a man heading for fifty years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

The first time in a couple months my finger accidentally slipped on the dial and onto R1 and Tubridy is still going on about and still playing clips from and still advertising the Diana musical he purports to hate so much... Business as usual.

And don't forget the Toy Man persona, which he created himself and which he mentions as often as he can.

"I was out a walk the other day and a young lad who was with his mother said, look mum it's the Toy Man".

That didn't really happen now Ryan, did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The Late Late Toy show, stopped being about the toys many years ago. Tubridy in fact seems disinterested in the Toys....its misery, fundraising and uncomfortable song & dance numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve long stopped listening to his show but I can recite from memory what his “go to” topics are :

James Bond

the Beatles - Especially Paul McCartney

JFK

Books Books Books Books (vast majority of which he hasn’t read except maybe the blurb on the back)

Rat pack/old Hollywood rubbish

Hourly updates on the toy show throughout the full year.

He talks about these topics ad nauseam as boring cliched filler designed to run down the clock each day

My own kids have even said the last 2 years about the lack of toys on the Toy Show.

They like the songs, inspirational kids etc, but they'd love more toys too.

That's an interesting endorsement from the real Toy Show viewers ie. kids.

Maybe they should run it over two nights and then they could fit in more toys 🙂

• Advertisement

hint of jfk this morning

There's usually drift when there is no standards being maintained or sense of pride in one's professional work and it's becoming more evident on this programme. I'm starting to belive that the producers just open up the msn home page and print out a few of the suggested articles and then Ryan just reads them out. Even less inane opinions recently, just reading articles out loud. It's probably an improvement on hearing his own odious and fake persona but to think of how much each show must cost to produce for such a shameful lack of effort is depressing. To think that nobody on his team are able to tell him to stop doing that mocking voice that seems to be derriding people who say something he doesn't like / understand is shocking.

I think the same drift is happening on Liveline. Duffy's unprofessional and boorish behaviour is getting worse and worse and these things always come to a head one way or another when someone crosses the line.

The organisation is rudderless, much easier to spend two years bleating about Covid (I believe they don't do this for political reasons-just because it's the easiest thing for them to waste time on), than try to create innovative, informative, and responsible content.

Their DG is the worst they've ever had, and that's no mean feat-a tokenistic woke appointment, and so weak a character that she won't call her "stars" out on their nonsense, tackle the waste for which she is ultimately responsible, or even appear before elected representatives to account for their actions.

I'm no fan of SF, but their Matt Carthy got this much right. He commented on D4's latest shimmy away from the PAC as follows; "If RTE wanted to call one of us in for interview, I don't think it would be deemed acceptable for us to say we'd try and get back to them in a couple of months."

Whole place needs to be dismantled and start agIn, in my opinion.

Far too many stults ducking and diving on huge wedges and not in any way justifying them.

Were front and center day and night plugging the ‘night industry” top of every news or as they tend to call it out there for some reason ‘Nooze, and tnen when the numbers of new cases balloons, try a switch the pressure back on the Health Service.

Crazy stuff…..

Another Ryan radio show with no comments?

Are we all switching off? I know I have (mostly).

• Advertisement

Couldn't be bothered-I'm struggling with the LLS thread at times.

Same sh1t, different day.

Hyper tubs today.

Good morning ha haha. We've got a great ha ha ha show for you ha ha today. I've been carrying a ha ha ha ladder for the toy show ha ha ha ha and the crew were ha ha ha laughing at me but I can't tell you what it's about ha ha ha ha. Hillarious 😴😒😞

Once again opened the show this morning with unexplained sniggering - something about him carrying a ladder but he couldnt tell the full story cos it was about the toy show.

Then a bit of a gossip and a giggle about fellow chat show host James Corden getting stick from the public. As much of a dope that Corden is, if this happened to him he'd be dishing out his lectures about bullying.

No Jacobs ladder. The one which was used by Tubbs.

Here's an idea for his toyshow.

Mass produce as toy version and call it "Tubbs Ladder" as seen on TV.

Give it a glowing review too.

Then back to the bb dancing prancing commercial brakes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

This made me genuinely laugh! 😂 I love Father Ted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement