Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Niamh Briggs: "Peter O'Mahony has had an unbelievable start to the season"

Quinnie: "He has, theres a bit of a spark to him, a bit of bite" 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

We're 2 years out from a RWC. At which, POM will be 34 years of age.

I love POM but IMO he would have to be miles better than the other backrowers and in pretty spectacular form to justify his inclusion at this stage in the cycle over

Coombes (24)

Doris (23)

VDF (28)

Conan (29)

Beirne (29)

And unfortunately I don't think he's clearly better than any of those guys

Same goes for Earls. Love the guy but he'll be 36 at the RWC and we have some seriously good alternatives who are arguably as good now and will be in their prime in 2 years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He has. He was excellent against both Sharks and Stormers. Munster wouldn't have won either game without him. He's started the season brilliantly, but as I've come to expect, he'll still attract the bemoaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

There's a big difference between 34 and 36.

He's one of those players who never gets credit from a certain crowd. I remember Alex Payne saying how happy he was to see him win that MOTM against New Zealand as he felt as if O'Mahony is rated far more outside of Ireland than in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I dont think POM is a better option to start over any of the other options at 6 7 or 8.

6. Bierne, Coombes, doris

7 vdf ,timoney, connors(inj)

8. Conan, doris coombes

But I think he is am excellent squad and Bench option as he covers all positions adequately.

A jack of all trades. Master of none

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There may be all sorts of reason as to why not to pick O'Mahony, but being 32 or 34 in 2 years time isn't one of them.

Quite often it is the most experienced teams that do well at WCs. England in 2003 and NZ in 2015 are two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd agree with this. I'd start Coombes, conan, doris and deegan over him. But he's be my first name on the bench for the back row. He can play 6 and 7 to a very high standard and if whoever is at 8 gets injured then whether was 6 moves to 8 and o mahony comes on. I think it's the best cover we have for the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

No I agree completely.

My point was more that his age compounds the fact that he probably isn't the best in any position anymore, and the likes of Doris and Coombes are likely to improve further while POM, at this stage in his career, is unlikely to improve.

When NZ won the WC with McCaw, Nonu, Smith and Carter, those guys were all undisputed 1st choice. As much as I love and respect POM, I'd be amazed if he's in the squad that goes to France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Munster wouldn't have won a game they won 42-17 if they changed one player in the team?

He captained the Ireland Under 20s from 8 back in 2009. Not sure he started many games for ireland at 8 but has finished a few for munster there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I watched both of those games I don't remember him standing out, i would have said Coombes was much more influential

He played a bit of 8 when he first broke through, if I recall correctly.

"Master of none" nonsense aside, the one thing POM is far superior over all those options is the lineout. That's his point of differentiation. (And the unquantifiable leadership that practically every coach and teammate he plays with has mentioned). I'm not saying that alone is enough of a reason to pick him, but it'll depend on what Farrell wants from his combo's in both 2nd row and back-row.

It's about picking units as much as one player over another.

Used to play there a lot in his early days and iirc, I think he started a Test there vs NZ years ago. Hasn't played there for quite awhile, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Not really directed at you here TRC10 just the way the reply fell.

People were writing off POM for all the same reasons before the last game against NZ in the Aviva. If POM doesn't play that game, Ireland lose.

Now I'm not saying he HAS to play this November. But it's tiresome to see the same tropes listed about him again and again from people who simply refuse to acknowledge his contribution to a team because they couldn't ever possibly admit they were wrong. Pundits, Journalists, Coaches, Players all speak of POMs ability and how he influences games

• Subscribers Posts: 41,473 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Correct. I don't mean this to be sarky, but I'd wager this means you didn't see the game?

Munster were 12-0 down after 25 minutes and were severely under the kosh when PO'M had a try-saving intervention. He knocked it out of a Stormers players hands right under the post. 19-0 there puts a very different complexion on the game.

He had an excellent game all round, aside from this decisive moment as well.

There were also tries on 76 and 78 minutes that padded the scoreline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Peter O’Mahony was an outstanding player for Ireland in my opinion but I don’t think he is the player he once was. Based on performances in the last 2 years he doesn’t make the bench for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What tropes? It's demonstrable that he puts in worse performances in green than other players. He recorded 0 tackles in 6Ns game, against Wales iirc. He's frequently at the bottom for stats like tackles, carries, meters gained etc.

Folks saying that there are multiple players they'd start ahead of him, yet also wanting him on the bench makes 0 sense.

According to Robson on comms in the English game, over 50 percent of our last two hundred tries have come from lineouts. If true it's not difficult to see why the coaching staff place such a premium on O'Mahony's ability.

The age profile of some of the wings in the squad maybe isn't the best with the World Cup in mind. You've got Lowe (29), Earls (34), Conway (30) and Zebo (31). They'll all be two years older in 2023. Baloucoune, Larmour and Hansen are there too, but it might have been no harm to have a look at someone who'll be coming into their prime in two years time instead of one of the older quartet. Tommy O'Brien instead of Earls or Lowe, maybe.

Timoney could offer coverage for 7 and 8 from the bench also but he has yet to step up at international level. Hopefully he gets his opportunity in this window as the next 2 windows, 6 nations and 3 game tour of NZ aren't exactly full of games to sent out an inexperienced team in.

Personally I think Doris could be a better line out option from the back row than o mahony in time. Big fan of Doris and what he brings to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But equally, he only played at second-row when either Ryan or Henderson were unavailable...

Like, there are two questions here;

1. Is Beirne a better second-row than either Ryan or Henderson?
    2. Is the team better with all three of these lads in it, and Beirne playing at 6?

If the answer to the second question is yes, then it doesn't matter what the answer to the first is.

He was one of our best players in the ANC. You still wanted him dropped from the squad. Not even just out of the 23. That's just ridiculous.

That Wales game was in March 2019, 2 and a half years ago. And if we're going to hold that game against him, why don't we give him credit for a game that took place just 4 months earlier; the NZ game in the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wildly dubious statement for one. He has consistently been poor. This isn't just one game, it's the pattern of his game. The NZ game the most overly inflated performance. He stole a lineout, won a penalty, and happened to be in the right spot to catch a bouncing ball. You'd swear he was putting in a performance like Pocock's in the 2nd Aus test.

Fact is he there are multiple players who are playing better, younger and who contribute more than him.

Perfectly illustrates my point; by any measure he was exceptional in that NZ game and you still want to discredit him. He can do no right for some people, so there's little value in continuing this tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Peter O'Mahony is a good rugby player, but its his bad luck that he plays in the most competitive division on the field in Ireland. And the fact is, he isn't better than the five or six guys who make up a starting 6,7,8 and potential two or three subs options within the Ireland squad, at this moment.

Advertisement