Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

For those still unsure as to why focus is coming on to the agri sector in relation to emissions, here is some info

Above shows the total emissions for Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4) & Nitrous oxide (N2O). As you can see from the above chart, Ireland CO2 levels peaked in the period from 2001-2008 and have been on a downward trajectory since then falling from 47 kt in 2008 to 35 kt in 2020. Still a long way to go, for sure, but going in the right direction.

Methane (CH4) & Nitrous oxide (N2O) over the whole 20 year period have largely remained unchanged.

Looking at the Carbon Dioxide (CO2) breakdown by sector, we can see that agri plays a tiny role here with energy production, transport and residential having the lions share. There is a multitude of actions being taken across these sectors to bring down their outputs as a result.

The only impacts the agri sector will see here will be in measures that are targeting the nation as a whole i.e renewable energies, carbon taxes, housing upgrade programs etc

Looking at Methane (CH4), the picture shifts considerably with the agri sector accounting for 93.2% of all emissions last year in Ireland.

But why is methane an issue? After Carbon Dioxide (CO2) its the next largest greenhouse gas contributor to climate change. This time last year, the EU Commission adopted EU Methane Strategy as part of European Green Deal.

Europe-wide, Methane emission sources breakdown as

• 53% Agri sector
    • 26% waste
    • 19% energy

In Ireland, as you can see from the chart above, agri accounts for over 90% of all our nations methane emissions. Simply put, there is no way they will not take action to reduce the current emissions with the current strategy calling for a 55% reduction by 2030 in methane alone.

As for the portion of emissions coming from waste, that is also being acted upon under various other programs EU wide (waste segregation, waste elimination, gas capture etc)

Lastly, looking at Nitrous Oxide (N2O) we can again see that over the 1990-2020 time period, agri accounts for the bulk of all emissions, accounting for over 93% in 2020 alone.

Why is this an issue?

Nitrous oxide (N2O) is approximately 265 times more potent than carbon dioxide (CO2) in atmospheric warming

Fertilizer has a big target on it in relation to this gas. There are also significant reductions to be achieved by rewetting of our bogs as they also emit a lot of gases. Rewetting of peatlands alone, Europe-wide, would see a 70% reduction in emissions of this gas.

So, while some folks here this the agri sector is being picked on unfairly, you are wrong. It is being selected for reductions in the gases it is causing, nothing more, nothing less.

Feel free to dispute anything I've posted here, I've included sources for anyone to review so I'd ask that favour be returned.

Note, I will just ignore strawman arguments, whataboutery and emotive language

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Has anyone on here said that agri shouldn't make efforts to reduce emissions? The argument here is that agri is being made do the most of the heavy lifting while other parts of the economy are let off, or are being allowed offset. I was in Applegreen earlier and seen a great big poster out in the forecourt claiming "better for the environment". What. A. Joke. "Better" if you buy their premium fuel which they then claim will help them do some clean water activities in East Africa, and plant trees in Ireland. It's farcical shite that's going on. Ryanair are full time on the radio spouting how they spent 20 billion on new jets which are better for the environment too, all the while encouraging you to fly off to some city in Europe for a tenner. It's maddening.

Be very careful in Applegreen, that carbon neutral fuel is 4 cent a litre dearer and you might pick up the wrong handle at the pump

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

The worst part is people lap that "green" crap up and pat themselves on the back for supporting said companies.

Reduce agriculture in Ireland and Brazil will take up the deficit burning down the rainforest needed to sustain the increased numbers. Reduce agriculture worldwide and you will get food shortages, before then the price of food will go up.

Is there any other polluting industry that when reduced would cause global problems? Aviation? Less tourists but look at the state of the world from worldwide travel. Cars? less traffic using a fuel that might run out before electric is sustainable and affordable. Cruise industry? The world has been doing well without skyscrapers sailing across the world's oceans. Everyone likes to point the easy finger at farming but how about industries that can actually be reduced without much repercussion.

Farming is just being used as a scapegoat and nothing will be achieved in the next 10 years blaming it while ignoring the glaring more immediate issues. In the future they will look back wondering how we were so uneducated and ignorant like how we look back at medieval times. Now I'm not against some heavy changes in agriculture to reduce emissions BUT driving old farms to retirement and young farmers out of a future is going to make Covid look like minuscule when the world can't feed itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

No it's an example of putting out a clear argument and questioning but keep moving your goal posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah didn't you know proper farming is all about old fashioned pishogues.

Don't tell me you spread fertilisers (including natural ones) to make the grass and crops grow when you can just pray at the next solstice ?

Don't tell me your dose the animals for fluke, worms when you can rub the spit of the 7th son of the 7th son ?

And don't tell me you watch the telly and use the internet when you could just have jam jar full of water to read the weather ?

You and your modern fangled science.

Who needs it. ☺️

I am not allowed discuss …

Ffs don't tell them about the burnt oil or they'll want that banned too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its a fact, the paymaster calls the tune. If you accept any CAP payments you accept the conditions. That certainly includes all those Single Farm Payments.

• Advertisement

Isn't that what's done since CAP was introduced, and will be done in future? CAP isn't just horsed out willy nilly without strings attached.

This has already been refuted:

Grass Absorbs CO2 - Cows consume grass - cows release Methane (not CO2)

Methane is 20x more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2 - Conclusion Cows amplify CO2 greenhouse potential by 20X

Lets just clarify this, farmers start a thread to dis climate change and they expect a free ride to do so. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I don't get any payments, am I absolved from the rules so...

It always has been, so why be upset when the Irish Agriculture Minister point out this simple fact ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seems to be lots of shouting down of farmers or anyone that doesn't agree.

Not upset about having to abide by rules and regulations. Am upset that agri is being targeted as the planet killer when it isn't. It contributes, but unlike any other industry, it captures a huge amount of GHGs too. No credit for that. See that Ursula vdL, our EU president took a private jet to cover 31 miles while at the climate summit. Bezos there too preaching about it and he spending billions he's got from people buying useless tat to go into space. How many agri people are there to state how agri can help the world while also feeding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

It’s refuted but far from proven. Yes cattle eat grass, and release the methane from the grass. But if the grass isn’t eaten it dies and rots and still releases methane. So let’s kill off all grass perhaps!😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I think you'll find your describing the carbon cycle if you go a little further and complete it.

Methane oxidizes to CO2 and the grass absorbs it and so the cycle begins again with the cow eating it again.

The problem is additional carbon and what you just described doesn't generate any additional carbon so it is simplistic to say cows amplify greenhouse potential by 20X.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Except he doesn't account for the carbon coming from the fossil fuels used by the tractor, fertilizer, Jeep, Manufacture f sprays, dosages etc etc Nothing to take them back out of the atmosphere.

As tragic as it is that our leaders have to use jets to get about think how it would be if they all had to take the boat and they were out of the country for a week to attend a meeting. Its unfortunate that their time is so precious that they cannot afford to spend more than a few hours in transit to anything they do. Such is life. But the reality is that all the jets which took people to the COP conference are but a drop in the ocean compared to farmings contribution to emissions - so by your logic we should abandon agriculture to save those emissions - frankly a stupid idea.

By the way what you have just indulged in there is whataboutary.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Where is agriculture particularly targeted?

Like, in the Irish case agriculture is a high proportion of emissions. But that because, as mentioned above, we don't have a lot of heavy industry.

But even in our case, agriculture isn't singled out. Its mentioned as one of the main sectors, along with transport and energy (with reference to domestic heating being a significant element, too.)

Globally, similarly, folk typically identify transport and energy as big sectors. Not agriculture alone.

And, tbh, we'll see what Government actually does. But I can't see them hitting agriculture more than other sectors, and they'll like hit it much lighter than other sectors.

No it doesn't. Methane is only produced in the absence of air - there is no shortage of air to decompose grass on the land - result is CO2 not methane.

Grass growing on the land is in perfect balance with the atmosphere (even a bit negative since some of that carbon gets trapped as humus in the soil). Cows eating grass upset that balance by producing methane.

This is what happens but methane has an effective atmospheric residency time measured in decades before it oxidizes. In that time it has amplified the CO2 that it replaced. If the transformation was instant then no one would be talking about methane.

Your “plant based news” may tell you that but that simply isn’t true. Plant decay isn’t that simplistic. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fenvs.2019.00182/full

An article about bog decomposition is totally not relivant to the 90% of agricutural land which is not BOG.

Fossil fuels have been locked away co2 for hundreds of millions of years. The release of these are the only” new” pollutants. We are worse for engaging with your cult at all. You have devil all interest in the environment. Anything that endorses your bullshit ethical view on animals is as far as it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Are you sure it's decades, I thought 8-12 years. Is it not why it's seen as a quick reduction.

Anyway it still doesn't multiply during residency so one cow belching now is only replacing methane which is breaking down from a cow belching how ever many years ago. Obviously not that simple but there must be an equilibrium reached from that source.

Advertisement