Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options
1818283848587»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

rogber wrote: »
    Passed at first attempt in Raheny today. Was extremely close to a fail - 8 grade two faults -but right now just delighted to have passed.

Was asked quite a few questions on all that before we got in the car, knew all the answers as had been revising a lot the last few days (otherwise would have forgotten some of it since the theory test) and I really think it made a good impression, showed I was serious about wanting to pass. Given that I was borderline with the number of faults, those little things can make the difference between a pass and a fail.

It truly doesn't matter whether you pass with 1 fault or pass with 8 faults. A pass is a pass and they allow 8 faults for a reason. You passed because you ar obviously a safe and competent driver. In the end that is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kevbrady38

Passed in tallaght today. The guy did not speak at all except directions, I was OK with that. I thought I had failed before leaving, someone hit my car with a shopping trolly outside tesco and I did not realise my bonnet was jammed. When he asked me to lift it I could not get it open. Did the whole test thinking "screw this, I already failed"

I got back and he said I passed, absolutely delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

passed today in galway 5 grade twos, two for reaction to bumps (he said i didn’t slow down but i was in low gesr 2/3rd i felt thst was a bit unfair but oh well! ) and 2 for accelerator he said i put a bit too much gas, before this i had the problem of not taking off fast enough and not putting enough revs etc in the car i failed on the 17th and worked a good bit on this and got better the time aswell today 9:45 helped aswell it was WAY more quiter then the last time ar 3:45 before christmas, i will say defiantly try and get your own car if you have the funds it helps so much for me i would have not passed it with just lessons at all, and also i failed the last time mainly because i thought i failed if you let your self get down when you’re on the test you will fail you have to OVERCOME it so what if you hit the curb etc make up for it. tester took me in a really long route nearly two times the length of a normal one so happy with 5 grade 2s. it’s a long process but to anyone looking you can do it best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Passed this afternoon in Wilton, Cork! First time! 3 grade 2s and 1 grade 1! Absolutely delighted. Tester I got was nice, not chatty but definitely nice. She was very clear with directions etc.
    Thought I’d had failed a few times, I tried to take off when the handbrake was up but fixed it quickly and did my observation again and didn’t get any marks for it. Another was a car in front turned right and I was about to go and went over the line but lights went orange so I stopped half over the line as I was about to turn right and waited, thought that would be a fail but it wasn’t even a grade thankfully!
    Another typical Irish thing, was doing my reverse around the corner and a taxi was turning my direction so I stopped but he flashed me twice so I kept going and when I finished he started talking to me saying I passed etc! Wouldn’t like to have been his passenager waiting! Tester was laughing though so put me at ease that I did ok!!

2 of my grade 2s were from turning right at a junction the car across from me stopped so I went but I should have waited apparently for her to go? I think that would have been another grade anyway. Either way it’s fine! One was for stopping too close to a parked car to let the car with priority pass too.

Regardless, Absolutely delighted anyway that it’s done and over with!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

I finally get to post in this thread. Passed this afternoon with 4 grade 2s on my second attempt! Couldn’t be more delighted.

I was nervous enough overall especially with it being a wet day, but luckily the rain eased off for the test. I got a couple of marks on progress which was probably the nerves again. One turnaround was that on my failed test I got loads of marks on observation. This time I just kept the head moving at any junction and staying focused and didn’t get a single mark there. Also just kept things simple and natural to me overall and not trying to second guess what the tester wanted. The nerves don’t help that, but the nerves can certainly help you stay focused.

Above all else, a huge amount of practice paid off. There’s no substitute for just getting in that car as much as you can, 15 mins practice here, an hour there. For me at least that was the case. I thought I’d never pass after my last attempt but the practice really helped everything come together over the past few weeks.

Also, I nearly threw it away right at the end thanks to some mad man overtaking me. But I’m not quite ready to relive that just yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Looking at this thread so long, never thought it would be me, I’ve been on a provisional over 20 years..... yes that is 20yrs....
    I’d apply for the test and rarely bother to sit it... test confirmation letter always got me a new license and as I’m driving so long my insurance was still low, so I’ve essentially been lying to everyone that’s I’ve had a full license for years.
    I’ve never been asked to produce it in that time either and as a previous tester said to me, I’ve the ‘head of one, that would be told to drive on at a checkpoint’ :) he i 100%.. I always have been!
    With all the covid stops it was time to get it sorted, booked last August, but I realized as a key worker I could get a priority date which gave me 4 wks notice. I got lessons in that time and was told I had a load of bad habits, well capable of driving but not passing a test. Said the main issue was myself and to relax!!!
    Stuck to my guns and kept the lessons up, including one just before the test this morning which I ended up literally crying through the reverse around the corner as I kept messing it up.. having no issues previously, mainly from anxiety tho. The shame of it, don’t know why I have built it up so much over the years, and know this post will get a lot of flack because of the 20 yr thing, but said there are more ‘me’s’ driving around putting it off... if I can pass the thing with stress levels through the roof anyone can!
    Passed with 5 grade 2s and 1 grade 1 .... absolutely thrilled with myself, appointment booked at the NDLS for tomorrow morning, N plates bought! Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Congratulations on the pass and for staying on provisional for 20 years, bloody Covid id say you would have got away with it for another 20:)^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Passed today on my 5th attempt in Tullamore. Have been driving since 2005 so this was a huge source of embarrassment for me. Like the poster a few posts above, I've being lying to people saying I've a full licence such was my shame. I'm a good driver and haven't had so much as a bump in those 16 years but the nerves always got the better of me during the test. Shaking like a leaf. I failed back in November, got 2 grade 2s but right at the end of the test there was some knobhead standing with his back to a zebra crossing as I approached then he suddenly decided to turned around and walk at 100mph across the fecking thing as soon as I drove across it. Grade 3! Was gutted and the tester was nice man who said sorry he had to fail me despite an overall excellent drive.

It was the same man again this morning which pleased me. Wasn't my best drive, 6 grade 2s but I don't care.

A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Never been so happy to see €55 leave my account. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Well done, see never give up^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Passed in Castlebar, Co. Mayo this afternoon. Got off to quite a rocky start before even pulling out, was still in reverse from when I parked at the centre so when I went to go from the spot I thought I was rolling back by not giving it enough welly, tried again and went even further back. Thankfully only a grade 1 for that. Went too fast at the turn on the end of Spencer st. by the court hence the grade 2 speed, probably got some clearance faults there too and going back the other way.

Disappointed with the fault on the reverse, there was a van approaching before I even crossed the white line at the junction so I moved back forward, but I must have done something wrong at some stage during the manouvere, didn't hit the kerb so not sure. Happy I did the turnabout without issue.

Only bit I really though I messed up on is at the mini-roundabout near FBD coming from the junction at the street by Bar One, but instructor said there was no problem when I asked about it afterwards.

Thankfully all done on the first try after 2.5 years on the provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Passed in Wilton today on my second attempt. Was incredibly nervous and the tester remarked on it afterwards but she was beyond good. Way better than the guy I had the last time. So relieved and delighted to have passed finally, long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Well done !

I passed my test today also in Wilton, Still cant believe it as Im relatively new to driving so well chuffed.

Was bit nervous also which made me make a couple of grade 2 errors on the roundabout I was usually ok with practicing on but otherwise the test went fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Passed in Navan last week on my fourth attempt. Had a bad experience with learning to drive in general, had a couple of bad instructors including one who was lying about his credentials. Took lots of lessons and lots of patience but really it feels great to be done with that part of my driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Passed the bus test the other day handy enough did 2 lessons and the pretest. So how does it work for the practical CPC/theory how much extra do the RSA charge for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Passed in Charlestown on Thursday first attempt. Still buzzing and can't really believe it. The things I was most worried about, the manoeuvres, I got no marks for. I got seven grade 2s and four grade 1s. Grade 2s mostly for progression, reaction to hazards (I over-reacted apparently) and gear control. Things I wouldn't normally struggle with but the nerves had me making silly mistakes.

I definitely think the best advice is to drive like you would normally drive with your accompanied driver. Nerves are what mess most people up.

Well done to all posting here 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Passed last week in Deansgrange, 2 weeks after I booked the test and went on a waiting list. Just got an email this afternoon that my licence is on its way in the post. Can't believe how quickly it all happened in the end, three weeks from booking the test to sitting the test to sitting in the NDLS centre applying for my licence!

The ISM YouTube videos ( https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeaWj0nH_WrHNtDMcKYwtQWR0rhObk_OW ) from around ten years ago were the reason I passed the test especially with their practice test video which is still exactly how the driving test is conducted. The "test theory" questions are just taken from this script; https://ladybirddrivingschool.ie/driving-test-questions/#

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Passed today in Waterford on first attempt. Glad it’s done, nerves aside it was actually alright in the end.

Pilot scheme with independent driving (sat nav directed) included for 10mins - was interesting but fairly pointless.

Examiner had to keep correcting for flawed directions provided by the sat nav. Makes you wonder why they bother with it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gotz

Right so, car test passed. Application currently ongoing with the NDLS

How long of a licence is it when the application for it is fully processed

This is first licence I will have had which allows me to legally drive on my own

So how many years of licence are we looking at here???

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gotz

Nice thanks

Yeah there was an error on form I sent in and 1 year was marked instead of 10. The error had been tippexed out but their system won't accept that and treat it as forgery or whatever

So I need to correct error with a signature just for official reasons and send it back to them

Had someone saying to me recently that as a first timer on my own that my licence would only be for a year.

But as I suspected that is not the case.

Just a cat B, simple straightforward car licence, nothing else going on here.

I will await NDLS response so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

Fri 23rd Sept - passed driving test in Naas

Whats the current time from applying for the licence to receiving it.

haven't received a dispatch text yet. Only emails with approval and receipt of the 55 euro payment.

myroadsafety.rsa.ie is updated and shows my full licence details

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

passed my test last Friday and apply directly for Licence.

one week later still no dispatch text or licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

Well, I passed on my second attempt back in October after countless threads here. Thanks for replying to them.

I had a very restless night the night before and had ingestion. Drove my mother mad.

I did the worst three point turn ever. It took me about six attempts or more to turn the car and my clutch control was terrible.

Reverse around the corner went fine even though it was the corner I hated.

I got marked down for position turning left a few times.

Got another Grade two for reaction to hazards.

I was certain I failed.

When he told me I passed I sort of lost my voice and nearly cried.

My only advice for doing a test would be if you mess up a maneuver or something keep driving to the best of your ability. Mirrors, indicators, etc. There's a good chance that thing you did wrong as only a grade 2 fault.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Bump

Advertisement