Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Who has the Aer Club credit card?

Just got notified that my card is in the post. Changing over from a normal business cad.

Just wondering where to link it to your Aer Lingus number? As ill be mainly flying KLM going forward as they are the main Amsterdam players itll be handy to keep the avios coming in.

I assume its 1 avios per euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

It's 1 Avios per €4 except for EI bookings which are 1 Avios per €1. Pretty bad really.

Thats actually pretty shocking!!!!

I booked a hotel in Luxembourg last month for a week and then adjusted it to the date i needed and i got the avios for the the full week.

I assume if you have your booking.com visit tracked you'll still get the 6 avios per 1 euro?

It's 7 Avios per €1 via the eStore currently

https://estore.aerlingus.com/retailers/bookingcom-ie

You can also use the AerClub Booking.com link which is 6 Avios per €1. It shows you exactly how many Avios you will receive but I prefer to use the eStore even when the rates are the same as I find you tend to get a little more Avios

https://www.booking.com/index.html?aid=1174296&label=aerclub-main

Also there is an offer for 5,500 Avios for new bookings with Rocketmiles. There doesn't seem to be many hotels eligible for the offer but worth checking out nonetheless. AerClub isn't an earning option for that offer but you can choose Heathrow Reward points and then transfer to BA Executive Club and then to AerClub.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/10/25/rocketmiles-avios-virgin-points/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've the card since the start. I put maybe 40 grand a year over the card (quite a lot of that is expensed work purchasing - tailed off a little during COVID but not fully by any means) and I've got nothing worth using in Avios from it yet.

All I've used is the fasttracks. Two a year is pathetic.

Checked the last statement and I got points for the beers I bought onboard my last EI flight at least!

Supervalu is probably a better earn partner and even its terribly low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Evening all. It's been nearly 2 years since I was in an airport. Traveling with Ryanair out of Dublin on Saturday morning. Will my Platinum Aerclub pass get me (and my +1) through the fast track?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Has anyone looked at booking avios reward flights on EI over the Christmas period? I used to do this frequently pre-pandemic. Just a few weeks ago, there were a number of interesting options available for the Christmas period. Now they all seem to have disappeared. Options only become available again from around the 6/7 of January. I somehow doubt that all the avios reward seats disappeared so quickly...

I booked Shannon - LHR for early December, got 200 euro off the fare from 16k avios.

It really irritates me that i have to chase up the avios from Avis every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Nope, must be travelling on an flight with a Shamrock on the tail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Pre Covid I was shifting 20k a year on my card as it was simpler than using my corporate card

AIB and Avant have cash back offerings which offer something real back. The fee on the AerClub card barely covers the travel insurance, and if travelling for business you should be covered by your employer anyway.

If you fly a lot you are going to get status and hence unlimited lounge and fastrack access (and a few other undocumented perks). Free flights sound nice until you have to chase availability and pay taxes.

• Advertisement

I do, but the problem is KLM have taken over the Cork-Amsterdam route so my avios intake is down! My platinum is extended till Nov 22 with EI tho Also! Just discovered you can link your Debit/Credit cards to the Aer club store and you can get avios for in store purchases from the list of retailers

Post edited by Board Walker on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Is it possible to bid for upgrades to Biz when booking economy fares with Avios points on EI flights?

What is the standard baggage policy/charges for additional bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭abff

Aer Lingus currently have a buy Avios, get 50% extra offer. Even if you go for the maximum amount, it works out at just over 1 cent per Avios. If you go for smaller amounts, the cost is a lot higher.

I’ve had an Aer Credit card for three years and I used some of the points I earned to book a very cheap flight this week. The exchange rate worked out at just under 0.6 cents per Avios.

With that bad an exchange rate, why on Earth would anyone buy Avios? Or are there other ways of using Avios points that offer better value? What am I missing?

Did you "pay with Avios" on the Aer Lingus website? That's terrible value. I would advise never doing that unless you only have a small amount of Avios to spend.

Booking reward flights on Avios.com or with British Airways is a much better use of Avios. 1c per Avios is good value for reward flights.

Yes, I paid with Avios. How should I use my Avios points to get better value?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shunt miles over to BAEC and then book by phone with BA, explain the option wasn't available online and can they please waive the phone booking fee and they usually will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

The call BA workaround for cheaper taxes/fees is gone.

The YQ component of the redemption is gone up to about $300 return (vs. ~$100 calling into BA to make the booking).

That really torpedoes the value for me, those 26k off peak round trips were great while they lasted.

So, if I’m interpreting this correctly, Avios are worth somewhat less than a cent. If that’s the case, are Aer Lingus hoping/assuming that there are idiots out there who are prepared to buy Avios at a huge premium to their real value? Or am I missing something?

Use your Avios to book reward flights on Avios.com. The flights are fixed in price with a small difference depending on the season (peak and off-peak). You can save a lot of money sometimes if you're flying more expensive routes like LHR or sun routes. You can also transfer your Avios to BA Executive Club and buy reward flights there.

https://www.avios.com/ie/en/spend

Don't ever use Avios on the Aer Lingus website to discount flights, unless you only have a very small balance.

Thanks. The flights I booked were very cheap - just under €70 in total. I spend around 11,700 Avios points out of a total balance of around 33,000 points. Most of these points came from using my Aer Credit Card. To be honest, at 1 point for every €4 spent, it will take a very long time to built up anything worthwhile. The travel insurance is my main reason for signing up and the “free” flights and lounge passes and FastTrack are an added bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Dunno if this was posted, another drop in the lounge offering, since the individual water bottles disappeared...

"Visitors to the lounge now get free access to more than 7,000 newspapers and magazines via the PressReader app while connected to the lounge Wi-Fi. Print newspapers and magazines will no longer be available."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Semi related, one of the things that I find a bit annoying about Aer Lingus is the fact that they insist that I stow my iPad (and thus the newspaper I'm reading on it...) for takeoff/landing.

Ryanair fortunately are more enlightened on this point.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Just went to make a booking my heart skipped a beat. Welp, there goes my excuse to keep flying EI lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

What is the best use of 110k Avios?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SB Morer

Login to aerlingus.com, to to AerClub - Member's Area - Claim Avios & Tier Credits

You won't earn any tier credits for a BA Flight and the amount of Avios you'll earn depends on your fare class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭thebiglad

presuming you had a British Airways executive club membership and logged these flights there you can use the combine My Avios feature to bring the avios points to your Aer Lingus account and in future if you want to spend them on BA flights you can use it to transfer relevant points back.

just make sure that both BA and Aerlingus account details are identical or it will not work.

As previous poster said you can also apply to have the BA flights credited to your Aer Lingus account directly although in my experience you would get less points for that but, if you don't have BAEC then it is the option available to you, it may still be possible to create a BA account and get the flights credited though.

I spent 16k points on a flight lately and its my first EI flight since 2020, Ive the 16k built up again from shopping in the Aer club store and Booking.com. If only i could get avios from KLM!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

What is the best way to get missing Avios added? I have 3 flights from last Autumn which have never been credited despite submitting the claim form twice. Strangely the 1st flight was automatically added and my Aerclub number was on the other 3 bookings, so it's a mystery why they never appeared. Should I email/call or is that a waste of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I've emailed them in the past with flight details and it worked- took a few days/week for them to be added though.

I have about 2,000 points now- I presume they are worth two parts of fcuk all?

Advertisement