Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Issue - Won't connect to Deco M5 Wifi

Options
  • 03-11-2021 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but hopefully it's a good place to start.

My daughter has a Nintendo Switch, and it was connecting to our Sky Q Hub Wifi just fine. But the Wifi coverage was crap in the house.

Last week I added in some Deco M5 Wireless Access Points. They're wired back to a 8 Port Switch is is connected to the Sky Q Hub. The Wifi is turned off on the Hub, and the Wifi is now provided by the Deco M5s instead. It's using the same SSID / Password as the Sky Q Hub was, and all of our other devices just worked on the new Wifi, didn't even have to re-enter any details.

However, the Switch refuses to connect to the Wifi. It detects it, but when I try to connect to just takes ages and eventually times out with an Error Code: 2110-2003. Advice online is very useful - reboot the Switch, reboot the Wifi, bring the Switch closer to the Wifi etc. I've done all of it, and it makes no difference.

The Switch connects to other Wifi, like my Phone Hotspot, with no issues. It's at the latest version. Every other device in my house connects to the Deco M5 Wifi with no issues, and they're also all at the latest version. I thought I had tested the Switch when I cut the Wifi over and it had worked, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any ideas? I've been unable to find anything but generic advice online. And I have checked to make sure I'm using the same password! :) If I enter an obviously incorrect password at all it still takes ages to time out, with the same error code.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've got Deco M5 units and my Switch connects to them as normal.

One thing worth trying as a general step is changing the password on the wifi, forget the existing connection on the Switch, then attempting to connect with the new password. I've had caching issues on various devices in the past that could only be usefully fixed by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your reply, I will give that a go. When you've done that in the past, have you just changed the password or the SSID as well? And were you able to change it back, or did you have to change all other devices to the new password?

Well, I created a Guest Network on the Deco M5s and the Switch wouldn't connect to that either, both with or without security set. Very strange.

And then I had a real "duh" moment. When I set up the Decos, I noticed lots of "Offline Devices". This surprised me, as it looked like they were devices that had connected at one stage, but now weren't connected, and I didn't know most of them (and the Decos were only up a day or two). So I got concerned that maybe other devices were somehow connecting, even though they don't have my Wifi password etc. So, you see where this is going. I blacklisted some of them, telling myself that if I had any issues. I'd remove them from the Blacklist. Of course, when I then had an issue (with the Switch) how long did it take me to remember the Blacklist? Two bloody days! Anyhow, I've removed the Switch from the Blacklist and its working perfectly again, surprisingly enough! 🤦‍♂️

As a Deco user Fysh, do you know why so many clients from nearby houses etc. appear on the 'Offline Devices' list?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

@jasonb sorry, only just saw that you'd replied again! I had a look in my offline list and it's got a lot of entries but I'm pretty sure they are all my devices. It doesn't help that the names aren't always useful, or that you get separate entries if a device has connected over wifi and a wired connection (and in the case of my Switch - which has a Nintendo USB LAN adapter plugged into the dock - it shows up with different names depending on which connection is used!)

@Fysh No worries, thanks for getting back to me! I think I have it sussed out now and so far so good, am very happy with the Decos as a solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement