Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So someone who is born in Ireland has more right to defraud the state?

If you have been granted citizenship and have been shown to spit in the face of the host country, expect a backlash.

That's the best way I can put it.

Once they've been granted citizenship, they are citizens. Why should the backlash be greater than it is for any other citizen?

They've been invited to join the Irish community. That's a privilege. If they stab the country in the back, they have the added advantage of their native-born country. They can stab their own country in the back as much as they like. But you can't recieve citizenship and expect no additional consequences for committing serious and egregious crimes.

They have to qualify. You and I are far more privileged in that we gained citizenship by pure chance.

You're asking for the law to cater to your subjective opinion on citizenship, one could just as easily argue that the loyalty birthright citizens to Ireland is a stronger bond and therefore their crimes against the state should be treated more harshly than that of a naturalized citizens. Both scenarios are forms of discrimination and the law cannot discriminate, it has to be objective and treat all citizens the same. It could not be more morally right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They have to qualify -

This translates to living in multiple EU states before arriving here on flights and lose all travel documentation ,and Claim asylum , while claiming asylum commit serious crimes and still become a citizen .

Really difficult to get citizenship here 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

I know people from.EU countries, living and working in Ireland for 10+ years, and have applied for citizenship and have been waiting for over 2 years after submitting a book of documents (eg. passport, birth cert notarized and translated, work contract, rent or mortgage contracts, payslips/bank account statements/bills going back 5 years, 3 references from Irish citizens plus more documents from their home country, plus a 60 page application form).

I helped a German person with his paperwork in recent years - he has lived and worked here for over 20 years, owns a house here, wants to vote in Ireland where he pays his taxes and wants to have an Irish passport as he travels to the UK a lot, plus for other reasons. He is waiting over 2 years and every 6 months dept of justice come back to him looking for more data. I can't get over how difficult it is for a EU person residing here for years to obtain citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Can I add, that I,m glad to see its a well vetted process, but how do they approve people who have zero paperwork claiming asylum ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A probationary period might be something to consider. All clean for ten years, ok,you are permanent, convicted of a crime or crimes, out you go, and citizenship is revoked. - like a job only with a longer lead in time.

So many of them are from that N word country though, it's a joke.

That's a very good idea; a probationary period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We all know there are Irish born people playing the system but if someone comes to this country and it given citizenship then the least they can do is be grateful for it and not engage in criminal activity.

The left are out in force in this thread saying its the same as Irish born doing it but it isn't the same, these guys are from another country and they played the system in this one, the law should be changed to kick them and anyone else out but no fear McEntee will do that in case she offends someone.

Your Irishness was completely out of your hands, your parents decided to have a child but it was pure chance that it turned out to be you.

You are a result of chance, you literally used the word "luck" yourself in describing your parents path to having you. You had no say in the matter. Chance brought your parents together, chance brought their parents together. Do you know how long sperm survives? 3 days. Your existence is a result of your parents deciding to copulate within a three day window and the pure chance that your sperm won the race.

We're drifting off topic here so I'll just add that I didn't think it was massively leftist to say that we don't treat people like literal second class citizens.

Wow its posts like this that really make me worry about the future of the human race in this country.

Let's cut to the chase.

Culture exists; national identity exists; a sense of societal cohesion and history exists. It's what we mean by a country and it's what we identify with, our past and present and future.

Inviting another to join that country is an act of kindness. If that person stabs the host country in the back, good luck and goodbye.

True - we can all philosophize until the end of days, but facts are facts and reality is reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe we should introduce a system like they have for giving (and taking back) OBE's and such. To me, being awarded citizenship (not through being born here) is an Honor:

Can honours be removed?

Yes. It is possible to remove an honour on the advice of the Forfeiture Committee and with the approval of the Sovereign.

What behaviour is expected from a person who has an honour?

Both we and the wider community expect recipients of honours to be, and to remain, good citizens and role models.

What could cause an honour to be removed?

Your honour can be withdrawn (or ‘forfeited’) for a variety of reasons. This might include being found guilty of a criminal offence, behaviour which results in censure by a regulatory or a professional body, or any other behaviour that is deemed to bring the honours system into disrepute.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

From Nigeria ?

Really !! ... wow how shocking...

Ah now, don't be racist. Or something.

Something can be a logical result of chance, chance is all about possiblity. When you roll a die, there are six logical results but it is pure chance which one comes up. I'm not saying it's chance you're Irish. I'm saying it's chance that your parents Irish child is you. You are the result of millennia of chance encounters but the circumstance of those encounters and those involved logically leads to certain outcomes. You (being born to your parents) were always going to be Irish, I'm not denying that but it is chance that it was you who was conceived and born and not some other Irish person. What I meant when I said we were Irish by chance is that we ourselves had no choice or say in it, we are Irish by circumstance. My wording could have been better and I'm sorry for the confusion. Can we leave it at that?

Your analogy regarding family simply doesn't work because a family is built on personal connections and emotions. We are talking about citizens in the eyes of the law, the law cannot afford to be subjective in that manner, it must few all citizens equally to ensure all citizens are treated equally, the circumstances of citizenship are and should be irrelevant, your views and my views of what make a citizens are our views, they are subjective and bias. The law has to be above that and cannot discriminate. If we have embraced someone as a citizen we have a duty to treat them as such and not merely revoke it when it suits us.

Do you think there is something particularly revolting about an individual, who may have come from a disadvantaged African nation, receiving Irish citizenship (a highly rewarding conclusion) - only to piss on that by committing a heinous crime against the people of the nation that gave that citizenship?

We can all play philosophy and semantics. But I'd be interested to hear your answer to the above.

• Advertisement

I'm not happy about it and I don't condone it but I don't think it's any more heinous a crime than if a born Irish person committed it. I believe there are laws in place for dealing with crimes committed by non citizens but if we have granted citizenship to someone they should be treated and tried as any other citizen. The state has a responsibility to all its citizens just as the citizens have a responsibility to the state.

Then we have irreconcilable positions.

I do not consider, nor will I ever, that a native Irish person is the same as a 'paper Irish' citizen from Somalia.

The latter is being given welcome to our nation. If they choose to abuse it, good luck and goodbye.

If they choose to assimilate and contribute to Irish society, even more the better. I welcome them and their family and I want them to prosper in our country.

But yes, we do need to discriminate.

We need, as another poster has said, a probationary period of perhaps 10-years with the powers of citizenship. If the prospective citizen passes that period, then they should be considered on the same basis as the native Irish citizen.

If not, that award of citizenship should be dissolved and the individual returned to their home country.

What the hell is wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Economics101

If someone, who has migrated here and been granted citizenship is found guilty of a criminal offence, then revoking Irish citizenship may well be appropriate if that person has dual citizenship of Ireland and their country of origin. If however they have only Irish citizenship, then revocation would effectively render them stateless, so in this case it could not (and should not) be done.

I think that similar considerations arose with some UK citizens who went off to fight for Islamic State.

What's wrong with that?

It's open discrimination as you freely admit, that's what's wrong with it.

I'll leave it there as our positions are indeed irreconcilable.

Women's toilets are for women, not men. That's discrimination against men.

We all accept that form of discrimination as necessary. I certainly do.

Or, do you not accept it?

My point is this: discrimination is not always synonymous with morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You mean, apart from being arbitrary and racist, what's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

We all favour treating everyone equally.

I'm in favour of punishing some people more than others.

Quoted...lest we forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is some of the worst nonsense I've seen on here.

A number of times in this discussion you have referred specifically to people from African countries when trying to justify this absurdity of treating people differently. 420,000 British people have received Irish passports since Brexit, you have made no comment on these, you have focused your desire to people of a specific type.

I think you have racist views that are influencing your position on this topic.

But we're all treated differently all the time from everywhere, some of it accepted. There are restaurants that won't let me in unless I'm at minimum semi-formal, some full on formal. Most nightclubs won't let you in with full on tracksuit. There are parts of America white people can't go to (or can, but dare not). Similar for black folk. There are places that are access only for Emergency Services. It happens everywhere. The common theme is that if you act/behave a certain way and then be granted access, you're welcome. If not, you're not. If you behave in a certain way, you'll be ejected. Clubs, groups, societies, everything has terms and conditions, and if you agree and then breach, you're out.

Why isn't being granted Citizenship the same? You agree to behave and act in a certain manner in order to get it, so why shouldn't it be removed if you then cause issue? It's 100% not the same as being born here imo. Any form of citizenship outside of being born here is granted, and as such should also be able to be revoked. Yes, it's a much bigger issue, but the point stands. You illegally take from the country that was kind enough to grant citizenship, you should then have citizenship revoked and be ejected.

Re: the person that said if certain nationalities have their Irish citizenship removed, they have no other one. Well... they came from somewhere. I wouldn't expect Canada to sort out my issue if I didn't have Irish citizenship for some reason, even though being born in Ireland, and even if I was in Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Restaurants and the like apply standards on a metric that anyone can fulfil or not. It's the individuals choice.

And if you think telling someone they cannot go in to one of thousands of restaurants in any given city versus threatening to remove part of their national identity are the same thing, I don't know what to say to you.

What people are proposing here is a scenario where 2 people who are both citizens of the country are told the consequences of their actions for illegal activity will be different. That is discrimination.

Advertisement