Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Got a magic bag from the Hole in the Wall pub for €3.99 a couple of nights ago.

When I went to pick it up they let me pick any 2 sandwiches I wanted from the fridge plus a huge scone. I went for a Reuben sambo and a chicken/stuffing sambo. The sandwiches alone are €6.50, not sure the cost of the scone. We had the sandwiches for dinner with some chipper chips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kuevasss

3 Cheese Toastie + Croissant + Scone for €3.99 @ MVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Treppen

Think you could have done better by going to Lidl or Aldi !

I bought one from Treat Yo Self, I got 3 of the same muffin which was whole grain and septic.

My mam got one from the Tram Cafe in Glasnevin, feta cheese with pepper bagel and potato soup. What I guess you should do is review.

Considering they were both meant to cost 12 quid reduced down to 4 because of them being gotten rid of, somehow I don't believe that this was the case. Annoying because its a great concept. Won't be arsed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Wouldn't be impressed if I got this. There seems to be a huge number of Cafe's on the App and a any amount of leftover pastries wouldn't be worth it for me.

• Advertisement

I wish you could read the reviews to see what each person got. I know this might defeat the concept of it being a mystery bag and put pressure on the provider but it would make things more transparent and avoid disappointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

Getting a collection from Tram Cafe Albert College today. Will do the same pic again.

The more we share here our experience, the better it will be for us.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Just got a cancellation and refund from Tram Cafe as they have no surplus.

Might give me a chance to finish what I got yesterday.

Lahoya Greens

Breads + Chicken Teriyaki Sushi Bowl + Chili Beef Burrito Bowl + Skelligs Chocolate Truffles

€3.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

The App has option of vegetarian....but nothing comes up...Hopefully more veg options listed soon.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That was good going, I also ordered from them on Saturday and got a brown turnover loaf and a box with 4 cakes and a chocolate apple on a stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've used this a little bit in the UK and it is a win/win. Very clever niche in the market and the surprise aspect makes it addictive.

And yes, restaurants do throw food out and no, a lot of shops don't sell leftover food to staff. Back when I used to work for a big retailer you could be sanctioned for taking leftover food - the thinking being that they could sell it in the reduced section or to staff, but not give it away. It had a value. Also, the danger was unscrupulous staff ordering extra food from suppliers knowing they might get some cheap if there was an excess. It was all a big pile of corporate hysteria.

Did a Starbucks one in the UK recently - £3.99 and ended up with a sandwich/wrap, two pieces of fruit bread, a ham&cheese toastie and a salted caramel bun. Was very tasty.

They are expanding to other parts of Ireland soon.

That's a very generous offering. Plenty new places seem to be appearing locally - Spar in Ranelagh village have just listed.

Apple green going down in ratings at a fast pace ! 3.7

I reckon anywhere that's only dishing out leftover bread/pastry will get found out. So many cafes on the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I think with the app some businesses will see it as a way to still make a decent profit on food that is unsold and ready for the bin. Whereas others will see the app as a way of ensuring they dont make as big a loss. Hopefully the review system will sort the wheat out from the chaff

3.99 meal from Dash container at the hole in the wall.

Chowder.

2 slices brown bread.

Scone.

Feta sandwich.

Was told to go to the off license to collect. Was on for two massive quiche and a nice muffin when the head barman or owner walked in and changed it all.

He was saying they do 10 a night and it all goes to charity.

Just ordered from Hanley's Cornish Pasties in Merchant's arch, a fiver for what should be fifteen. Sure, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I ordered from Cafe Nero in the airport last night - picked up at 730pm. I got a sausage sandwich, a couple of croissants, a piece of carrot cake and a hallloumi salad.

All going out of date yesterday. Not the greatest bargain in the world but not bad for a fiver I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sure the sandwich alone in the airport would cost more than that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Nice offering from Tram Cafe in Albert College for €4. Chicken caesar wrap, potato and bacon soup and fruit scone. Delicious.

I got to pick which 3 I wanted, which was sound. Big thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I collected from Salumi Grazing in Terenure last week, was offered a bag with cake or a bag with bread. I took the cakes and got 2 croissants, a vanilla custard thing, and 2 slices of chocolate orange cake.

Collected from Lahoya Greens this evening, 6 eggs, a loaf of bread a Malaysian chicken curry and a Singapore udon noodles. All use by today, but will be fine for tomorrow I'm sure.

Both were €3.99, the offering from Lahoya Green is much better I think.

I have to get on the ball a bit earlier soon to try get one from Saltwater Grocery now to compare

Saltwater Grocery

2 big sandwiches, Scones, Croissant

€4.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Great alert will definitely try.

I can see two places near me are sold out for tomorrow.

Is there anyway of knowing when a place will post it's deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just looking at the app there as I'll be in the city tomorrow and it seems all the good cafes were sold out by around 6 or 7pm this evening for pick ups tomorrow. All thats left for tomorrow is a bunch of Spars and Cafe Neros. So it definitely seems a case of the early bird getting the worm (or 1kg fish pie😉)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Food quality aside, which I've no experience of, that seems a super deal in an airport.

Afraid not, I wish they had an option that would allow you to subscribe to notifications for certain places.

• Advertisement

If you favourite a place it will tell you when they are closing orders soon with some orders still available - no help if it's a busy spot that sells out every time though.

Advertisement