Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is a republic. We have a constitutional principle of equality before the law. We don't have second-class citizenship. End of.

Ireland is not like the UK (or Canada). The UK is a monarchy. The rights and duties of citizenship are conferred on subjects by the sovereign, and the sovereign can confer different classes of citizenship on different people, and take away rights and duties previously conferred, as it may please the sovereign. The individuals affected have no cause for complaint because they never had any right to citizenship in the first place; it was given to them by the sovereign.

In Ireland the people are sovereign. The government or the President do not confer citizenship on us; rather we confer authority on them. So citizenship is not something created by political authority; political authority is something created by citizens. That's a fundamental reversal of the flow of authority and legitimacy which has profound implications for what citizenship in Ireland is, as opposed to citizenship in countries with, lets face it, a lesser view of citizenship. That's why the idea of a minister depriving you of Irish citizenship because he thinks you are insufficiently virtuous is fundamentally incongruous in a way that's not true in the UK (or, for all I know, in Canada).

Plus, constitutional theory aside, nobody is even pretending to offer a pragmatic argument as to why it's necessary or desirable to punish citizens by naturalisation more severely than citizens by birth or descent. There's no connection at all between the nature of your citizenship and the gravity or consequences of your crime. If we can accommodate some citizens retaining their citizenship after committing a crime, why the pressing need to deprive others of their citizenship after committing the exact same crime? Unequal punishment is fundamentally objectionable. At the very least, you need a compelling justification for it. And none is being offered.

I hate to say it, but the motivation for this seems to be primarily racism. The examples offered by those who advocate this treatment invariably involve people of colour. Instances where it has been done in other countries that are lauded also invariably involve people of colour. I struggle to think that this is a coincidence, especially when no other reason for depriving some people but not others of citizenship is offered.

For what it's worth, the rule in the UK is not that naturalised citizens can be deprived; it's that any citizen cab be deprived, so long as the Secretary of State is satisfied that they have an entitlement to some other nationality. I still consider this objectionable— the UK still has second-class citizens; they are just defining the class slightly differently. But that's not my point here; my point is that this power, while not explicitly racially-based, is applied in a racially-biased way, and that is very much what its supporters want and expect.

We can see this in the case of Shamima Begum, a British Citizen by birth, who has been deprived despite never having been charged with, much less convicted of, any offence committed anywhere. By contrast there are numerous white British Citizens with dual nationality who have been convicted of serious terrorist offences committed in and against the UK who retain their British citizenship. No minister has ever moved to deprive them of it, and I don't see the people who applaud the deprivation of Begum clamouring for White convicted terrorists to be treated in the same way. I think I know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ya know what? Yeah, fuk it. I would willingly discriminate against people who cause this country harm.

Edit: To add, before someone has an orgasm at the thought of someone admitting discrimination, I would discriminate in the same way I would discriminate against a pedo, a murderer, a career burglar, etc. Horrible people of no benefit. Just seems like there's an easy way to get rid of some. But like a lot of problems in Ireland, protected by bleeding hearts.

Signed, My Opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well, my opinion is you can fcuk off with the faux patriotism.

Too many people on here only talk positive about the country when it's a conduit to complaining about other nationalities or cultures.

But that's the thing. You're not advocating discrimination against people who cause this country harm; you're advocating discrimination between people who cause this country harm. Some of them would get deprived of citizenship; others not. No good reason is offered as to why this is desirable. And the decision is made on criteria which means that it will disproportionately impact offenders from racial and ethnic minorities. This may not be your motivation, but at the very least we can say that it doesn't seem to bother you. But you can see, can't you, why it would bother others? And you accept, don't you, that in urging this you are togging out with a bunch of people who are motivated by racism?

Totally false.

Shemima Begum joined a terrorist organisation - and openly admitted doing so. She absolutely committed a crime and deserved to be stripped of her citizenship.

The same principle applied to Jack Letts, who isn't black, and who also joined ISIS.

You want this to become a racial issue because it's an easy conclusion to draw that the principle itself must somehow be wrong.

The rule isn't about making second-class citizens, it's about ensuring that we have the right citizens in our country. Shemima Begum isn't a second-class UK citizen; she's just not a British citizen anymore.

• Advertisement

it's not false. You're pointing to one white British dual national who was stripped of British citizenship after being accused (but not charged or convicted) of terrorist acts, but you continue to ignore the very large number of white British dual nationals who have been not just accused but charged and convicted of terrorist offences, and whose continued British citizenship has never been questioned - not least, by you.

I think you have racist views that are influencing your position on this topic.

I think people have been conditioned to expect certain behaviors from particular nations or continents. Take yourself, for example. You referred to Africa, taking the position that the reference refers solely to Black people, but Africa contains a wide variety of races as natives. The assumption is made that Africans are Black but the reality is different.

So... your perspective above could be considered racist.

We all have biases. For decades now, I've heard of Nigerian scammers even though I've never been scammed by one. I've received the emails, but that doesn't amount to much... but the association is there nonetheless, because of the limited exposure to that nationality, and the reputation that they have internationally. Their stereotype, which in itself, is racist, but... it's a common viewpoint in many countries. I've heard that dirty laugh come out in many conversations when Nigerians are used as an example of scamming or negative behavior, and it's been with people from many different national backgrounds, so the perception exists for many people. We treat people as individuals, but there will always be an element of hesitation due to the reputation of that nationality, or the history of your own experience of them (direct or indirect).

People who throw out the racism accusation rarely seem to examine their own behavior, and fail to recognise that under the expanded definition of racism, that they are just as guilty as others.

That other poster has biased views, just as you do. As do we all.

The UK and Ireland have had a common travel area since 1920 or thereabouts given all the links etc and both countries are of the same standard.

That's very different to giving a new life to a Nigerian from a very disadvantaged part of the country, only for that Nigerian to slap us in the face with egregious levels of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Peregrinus I hate to say it, but the motivation for this seems to be primarily racism.

Unless your suggesting only Africans commit crimes here then that could be viewed as Racist ,

But as it stands close to 17% of the prison population here are foreign nationals,from all over the world ,

I personally have been saying it for years it you come here to commit crimes you should be removed it doesn't matter if your American , Canadian , European , eastern European ,Asia and Africa,

If you cannot live within our society and our laws then you don't deserve to stay here , other countries including in Europe deport foreign criminals we don't ,but tax payers then have to fund their welfare , legal bills and prison stays ,

Get yourself a prison sentence and face immediate deportation on completion or several years in .it's as simple as that ,it's has absolutely nothing to do with skin colour

Any non-native Irish person with citizenship who commits a serious crime should have their citizenship status revoked, serve their time in prison as a foreign national, and be deported the day of their release. Those who gain citizenship retain their original citizenship under the dual status, so they've something to fall back on.

We want good/decent people to come to Ireland to contribute to its success. Each person to takes citizenship is practically taking the place of someone else. Its not like there are going to be an unlimited number of Irish citizens (at least I hope not).

Citizenship should have value. An important status that people aspire to obtain, and keep.

Anywhere in the world you go, citizens are treated better than foreign groups. That's reality. Obtaining citizenship is a desire to level the playing field somewhat (even though in most cases, you'll always be considered a foreigner)... and as with anything that is in demand, the punishment of losing it should be available for those who break the laws of that nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Any form of citizenship outside of being born here is granted, and as such should also be able to be revoked. Yes, it's a much bigger issue, but the point stands.

As I asked you yesterday - my daughter was born ourside Ireland, while my son was born inside Ireland. They both have dual citizenship - Irish and the country where my daughter was born (and where her mother is from). Do you really think that my daughter's citizenship should be revocable while my son's should not?

And take two Irish-born people who have a child in say London, then move back to Ireland and have another child in say Dublin. Do you really think that the London-born child and the Dublin-born child should have effectively different levels of citizenship (in terms of revocability of that citizenship)?

If so, what distinction do you make between the two to justify this different treatment? Is it based on anything other than the place of birth?

These are false equivalences.

In both cases, we are talking about either one or both native Irish parents. That changes the metrics.

What we are talking about here is very specific. If you are from a disadvantaged country, Somalia to take an example, and you've been given an opportunity in this country and have been awarded citizenship, only to then defraud the state - then yes, you should be deported and have citizenship revoked. In fact, it doesn't always have to be from a disadvantaged background. If an American came here and did the same thing, he should be deported too!

If you have gone abroad to join a terrorist organisation, you aren't welcome back and your citizenship is also revoked.

I did read the thread, and I didn't say that you did introduce Africa.

The fraud was committed by two Nigerians. Africa was introduced from the very inception of the thread, the story itself.

The argument is that, in cases such as this, citizenship should be revoked.

Why on Earth would we want to keep criminals like this inside our country?

Why on Earth would we want to keep criminals like this inside our country?

Because, as has been pointed out several times, having a system where we treat people differently for the same offence is discrimination.

That's "claimed " to be discrimination claimed is the key word

It literally couldn't be more cut and dried discrimination.

• Two persons guilty of illegal activity.
    • Person A - Fine/custody etc
    • Person B - Fine/custody.... loss of citizenship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i think most people would be happy if criminals like this were stripped of assets up to the value of their frauds then deported , no need to burden us the cost of jailing them.

the same should apply to irish criminals abroad , traveller gangs in europe , drug gangs in spain or dubi etc

is a condition of being in Ireland not to abide by its laws , and reference made to the same in the oath of citizenship ?

you can keep your race card in your pocket pal , as usual no need for it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Economics101

OK, if he still has his previous citizenship, but if he hasn't, where do you deport an effectively stateless person to?

We could just change the criminal penalty for everybody to banishment.

Except, we do treat people differently in terms of how punishment is applied once charged/proven guilty. It's well documented that women often receive less harsh sentencing (although sometimes heavier) depending on the crime involved.

In any case, discrimination would be where the process of proving guilt was different for foreigners vs native people... which is not what has been suggested. Revoking citizenship from those foreigners who have received it, and have since been proven to commit a crime is not any kind of discrimination.

Very few countries revoke a prior citizenship on gaining a new one with another country. The vast majority of countries allow the use of dual citizenship.

In any case, the idea would be to revoke citizenship, and treat them the same as any other person whose visa has expired, and they're no longer wanted in the country. They're free to choose where they want to go... as long as it doesn't involve staying in Ireland. Send them anywhere in the world where they have access for 30 days, and the target nation will get rid of them quick enough based on their own laws regarding transient travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,475 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i think 100% it should be conditional..

if I go to my local pub, cause trouble or rob the place... I’ll be barred. For the safety, security of the owners, staff and patrons, kicked out and denied re-entry.

same in this case, citizenship should be conditional... you bite the hand that feeds you, you attack / steal from the state and it’s people , you loose what’s been afforded you... we can afford that help to others who will be appreciative of it and not go out of their way to rob us as a measure of thanks.

for minor offenses no but serious ones yes.

Where would there original citizenship go exactly,

Did it get lost coming off the plane ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Economics101

Some countries allow dual citizenship, some don't. So if this guy's former country does not allow it he would be stateless if his Irish citizenship were revoked.

you can keep your race card in your pocket pal , as usual no need for it here

Lol.

• Advertisement

In this case Nigeria does allow dual citizenship .

So......

Advertisement