Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

like honestly why do we bother?

Then don't. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Our pack is a very good shape judging by the predicted teams. We could swap in half a dozen other forwards and still have a pretty good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I dont have a problem with earls playing, but we know what he can do, and he has plenty of minutes this season so against japan we dont need him.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

eh yeah i was talking about the setup. why do we bother hyping world cups, talking cycles up. if this is what we do? but yeah could be applied to us all. has there ever been a lower buzz about the place for an Irish setup?

what stage of grief?

plenty of people in here and in Irish rugby stuck in denial.

NZ game will be a wakeup call. we have no form, loads of lads not match hardened. it could be truly awful, 50/60 points. maybe it might wake up some in here as well as the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's just another gash selection! No need for Sexton to start this one. He can come in off the bench. Larmour would be a better selection than Lowe or Earls! When does Farrell trust younger players? How can he trust Lowe? Possibly the worst defending wing on a tier 1 international team! By a mile.

What would be the sense of going out at full strenght and risking injuries? This match is meaningless. If the selection proves to be true, then Farrell hasn't learned a thing. Capping players v the U.S is as worthwhile as capping them v Zebre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

exactly if its true, it shows he hasn't progressed as a coach. we took a risk giving him his first head coach job, and it seems beyond him. top bloke, a good technical defence coach. but doesn't seem to have head coach credentials. the fact we are heading into another WC with a 38 year old captain again should have us all laughing. i love Sexton but its just a farce at this stage.

Gerry Thornley has spoken

IRELAND (possible) v Japan: H Keenan; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Lowe; J Sexton, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, R Kelleher, T Furlong; J Ryan, T Beirne; C Doris, J van der Flier, J Conan.

Replacements: D Sheehan or R Herring, C Healy or D Kilcoyne, F Bealham or Healy, I Henderson, P O’Mahony, C Murray, J Carbery, K Earls.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Completely ignoring the O'Mahony aspect to this, I read this and thought it was an impressive stat, but then when you think about it every time you get a penalty and kick to the corner that's a lineout. So I expect most teams have a fairly substantial of tries "off a lineout".

I put it in quotes, because I'm not sure what it means in this context. Is it just tries that are either mauled over or scored directly off first phase? If more than 1 phase is allowed, what's the cut off? Is it any try scored in the time between a lineout being taken and some other event stopping play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Potential wash out of the entire series as far as bringing in new players goes. I can't imagine he'll give starts to any younger players against NZ if this is how he is approaching the Japan game. This team should take care of Japan with the pack in this selection but a loss to the ABs and he'll have to go all out against Argentina too. I'd imagine 2 out of 3 is the least he can take from this and feel secure. Will he give starts out to the likes of HB, Frawley, etc. against Argentina? If this is the selection it seems like a blown opportunity, not idea why Lowe is in there, and I love Conway but is he a realistic prospect for RWC? He'll be 32, I guess he's a possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Robson didn't elaborate so I'm not sure to be honest. I was hoping for a bit more information myself.

Post edited by TomsOnTheRoof on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

The pack on paper should be far too strong for Japan but do you honestly think they will be giving it their all when they know NZL is coming next week? The backline selection is so uninspiring I honestly question the point of the game, what will we actually learn. I mean playing Earls has to be some kind of practical joke? Part of me would be laughing if Aki and Sexton were to miss the kiwi game for whhatever reason because of playing this game, it would be poetic justice for the coaching team. This would be the perfect game to test Frawley at 12 & Balacoune at 14 to see if they can step up to this level (never mind giving Carbery another 60 minutes to run a game at 10 but instead Farrell has gone for daddy's ducking army.

Because like almost every position the reason the ancient player is the undisputed best is because they are the only player that ever gets to play a moderately difficult game. I don't know if you heard of the word but the word is called "conservatism"...we are masters of it, that's why we always go into RWC's with one of the oldest squads in the tournament. The reason a selection is undisputed is because instead of using a match against a team ranked 10th in the world to blood another potential winger who could challenge for the shirt we instead choose to play a 34 year old who wont make the next RWC...How many world cup failures do we need to get before we learn to stop with this conservatism nonsense, conservatism and laziness in selections is rarely rewarded in the long run in these tournaments and it looks as if we might need another failure to get that message across even though it really shouldn't be required, its getting to the point where Farrell is just willfully ignorant as surely it should be clear as day that what we are doing now will only end one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I hope that’s the team, just to be able to skip past dozens of posts of people making the same point over and over.

Carbery has done nothing in red this season to warrant gametime in green.

i agree on Earls but Lowe is the biggest joke of all, his glaring errors seem to have been forgotten.

Carbery mainly because he's next in line but really either 10 would work in this scenario, this idea of playing Sexton in every game is tier 2 level nonsense.

I get the logic in playing Lowe, you want him to learn about defending at this level and the only way you can improve is with game time. He does have attacking qualities that I think would be used to greater effect if he was playing for anyone else in the NH but in Ireland we clearly dont do anything in training from the 11-15 bar afew moves off a line out so we dont and probably wont ever get to see his true value but on the off chance we do change and start using the backs properly I think its a project worth exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,159 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't care about Autumn internationals as far as winning is concerned. I care about the Six Nations and the World Cup.

My opinion is that you should be blooding players in these games.

Where are you giving these young players experience if you don't put them in against the likes of Japan and Argentina?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Whoever the no.2 out half is, should be starting this weekend and v Argentina, simply because Sexton is 36 and is very injury prone.

It should have been Carty starting this weekend but Farrell has opted to pick a guy who hasn't had a good game in 3 years ahead him, so he should have the courage of his convictions and start his guy in an Autumn international against a tier 2 nation.

I've defended Andy Farrell but it's difficult to defend him when he's starting a 36 year old 10 against a tier 2 nation 2 years from a RWC.

My opinion is that you should be blooding players in these games.

Are we not doing that?

Keenan, Lowe, JGP, Kelleher, Doris - none of these guys have ever played a test against an SH team. Only Keenan has more than 10 caps.

Porter has never started a test at loosehead.

Conan has one start for Ireland since the World Cup. Conway has been off the radar for yonks.

There is plenty to be learned from this side if people would only dial back the rage and look.

But people would rather piss, bitch and moan.

I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I don’t see any issue, if I were preparing for the New Zealand match I’d want to select almost the same team against Japan.

Pick your best team to play together, and then for NZ deal with any injuries and hope there won’t be many.

I wouldn’t think too much about Argentina until after the NZ match.

That would be a good idea by playing 10-11 of you're starting 15 and then throw in afew new players to try bed them in and then put the 4-5 players being left out on the bench.

And thats the mistake right there...hope... good teams dont determine selections based on "hope", they have a plan and a back up plan, we all know there isnt a back up plan for Sexton in the coaches mind so why the **** do you play him against Japan? What if he gets injured, whats the plan then?

• Advertisement

Maybe its more down to the fact that we moan about our problems at 10 yet dont have the balls to back someone other than Sexton ....against Japan...

if I were preparing for the New Zealand match I’d want to select almost the same team against Japan.

I think this is the problem. We put way too much value in Ireland, on Autumn international wins and other nations don't.

Take Wales, their record in November against the SH teams isn't good, but they win more Grand Slams and do better at World Cups.

While we were celebrating the 2018 win like we'd won the World Cup, it was pretty clear that NZ (who had a brutal test match v England the week before) weren't going 100% because when it really mattered they pumped us in the 1/4 final a year later.

Treating the NZ game like it's a must win game and using the Japan game to prepare will do us absolutely no good in the long run. I'd rather be competitive against NZ at the RWC than scrape a win in a meaningless test match where everyone knows they aren't at their best

Meh, it wouldn't matter. The same people would just move on to the next CONSERVATIVE selection.

It stopped being about actual selections long ago.

If you dont see any issue you either cant remember or never heard about what happened in Cardiff October 18th 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Nah, if I wanted to prepare for NZ, a good fast-paced battle with Japan would be an ideal warm-up.

Again, I’d pick the best team possible for Japan, and if gaps appear through injury, the next in line gets a chance against NZ.

Sexton will need a match to get ready, otherwise I’d start Carbery and keep him again for NZ. Going in cold against NZ just isn’t good preparation.

I’d bet that Farrell knows what his best team is, and he would have consulted with Sexton and his medics to figure out the best preparation for him, and I’d expect they would have said give him a start against Japan, and if any niggles or fatigue come off at 50-60 mins, or even just take him off anyway if that is sufficient to prime him for the following weekend.

I’ve watched a fair bit of Leinster this season and I’d have no problem saying Sexton is the form 10 right now, so as a selector Farrell should be thinking how to get the best out of him against NZ, and my guess is starting against Japan is the best prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't have a massive problem with this team, I think the wings are questionable but there's nobody that sticks out like a sore thumb imo that is just a bad selection, but if that is the team, I do have a concern over what sort of development we'll see over the course of the series. There will most likely be minimal changes for NZ, and then depending on the outcome of that came (lets face it, we're going to take a pasting) he might decide they need another game to gel/click. I'd have a big concern over whether Casey will get meaningful gametime for example and I think that it is really, really important he does.

I've been saying here for a while, we're in big trouble at 10. Sexton is starting because he is quite clearly the best 10 we still have. Carbery has fallen off a cliff, some of the younger guys might have the talent but they haven't shown it yet, and Burns/Carty/R.Byrne just are not the guy imo (though personally I'd have Carty as next in line). We badly need Carbery to get back into gear or H.Byrne, Crowley, Healy etc to really step up but it hasn't happened yet.

I don't really envy Farrell in this particular instance.

It's not conservative, it's stupid.

Forget the rest of the team, I don't really care about that.

Starting a 36 year old out half in an uncompetitive game at home against a tier 2 nation, 2 years out from a World Cup is just objectively stupid.

Your making a big assumption that we get out of our group in france 2023.

an assumption i fear is going to be repeated frequently between now and then

if I wanted to prepare for NZ, 

But this is the problem, why is everything about preparing for NZ?

It's one uncompetitive game and everyone knows that NZ won't be at their best.

What about preparing for the 6 Nations or the RWC? surely their more important?

• Advertisement

Your solution is Jack Carty. That's stupid.

Farrell would play someone better if he had someone better. He doesn't.

Advertisement