Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

And yet, still 93% effective against hospitalisations.

Anyways NIAC approved the boosters, not NPHET or the government. I assume you have an issue with the delay in boosters for healthcare workers? Yeah, that would be NIAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

The commenters on Journal are not too far off calling for a purge style event at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The ever positive Dr Favier once again with the doom!!! They need to get off the radio! NPHET had there presser yesterday that’s enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's funny that we're reverting to business as usual in everything - including health advice.

The HSE have been issuing health advice, coming from the CMO and various other speciality leads, for years. We just never paid much attention to it most of the time.

And it has frequently been simplistic and out of touch stuff like this.

In a way it's nearly reassuring that when they're throwing out random unworkable tidbits of advice, that perhaps even NPHET are on the "let's just get on with life" bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

"Dr Favier pointed out that Ireland’s “tipping point” was lower than other European countries because of underfunding for the health service for many years."

And that is the whole crux of the matter in a nutshell .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Underfunding isn't really the issue, it's the allocation of the funding which is a massive issue

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Astartes

I remember reading somewhere that the Irish health service was the 6th best funded in the world. I think its just incompetence, laziness and greed is why we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hospital numbers down to 458 this morning. It's a reduction of just two, but it's still a reduction. In the background, the numbers were all quite sparse yesterday, we saw a reduction of only 11 in total between 8am and 8pm; usually it's 20+. But the fact that we've seen only nine new admissions overnight (it's usually 15-20) is good too.

It may also be that there are some delays or issues with data reporting, but it'll come out in the wash anyway.

Yep , money thrown at the HSE and misused , mis allocated and wasted

I agree , Its not underfunded as such its quite simply not used as it should be .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Tbh, I think this winter is a write-off in terms of getting back to normal. However, in February when the emergency legislation ends, I would love to see Micheál Martin address the nation and basically say as we are now leaving Winter and heading into two years of this pandemic, we need to learn to get on with things. Covid is going no where, it’s never going to be “over” as some people still seem to think. The vaccines and boosters have done tremendous work in preventing serious illness and death, but we can’t hide from it for any longer. We need to let young people and those at very low risk from this virus to live full unrestricted lives. We will probably all get Covid at some stage, and for most, this is actually a plus as it further helps with immunity. Granted lives will be lost, but we have to be pragmatic here and accept that with any virus, it is going to take the lives of the most vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

It's also the mega mistake of not opening up sooner like England did. Boris smartly decided to let it rip during the summer and now his reward is falling cases each week.

Our geniuses decided to wait until the winter to let it rip.

Absolutely. Not “underfunding” though; mismanagement of funds.

Edit. I see this has already been pointed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

The lack of a scientific approach, given the experience on the board, is very strange.

The unfortunate thing is that many of the recent developments have been obvious from phase 2 trials 1+ years ago. It's driving me bonkers hearing experts saying "we need to look at the data in due course" (in response to questions such as 'are vaccines waning') as if it's somehow scientific/noble/level-headed to cross your fingers and observe after the fact. The current situation was easily anticipated, and could have been somewhat prepared for. Most obviously, by using snake oil to rapid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

I agree with you up to a point. However some of the media have huge influence over swathes of the Irish public. That in itself can be a huge problem. Miriam O Callaghan on Prime Time the other night braying for restrictions from the minister of health. I am honestly more afraid of this more so than the virus. Especially in this country the damage they can do with their nonsense.

They started driving the narrative of the `unvaccinated` and then all of a sudden the public latched on to it then start blaming the unvaccinated just like they blamed pubs (even when they were closed!), young people, house parties, pregnant women, 5-12 years old's and so on. You have certain media personalities who quite frankly are hysterical when it comes to covid like Claire Byrne, Joe Duffy, Pat Kenny. The problem is they will not facilitate a proper debate about our response to it and never have and they command large audiences who swallow wherever they are fed. Instead of them grilling the heads of the department of health and government about their abject failures despite getting extraordinary amounts of tax payers money to fund it!

I doubt we have other nations where some medics, heads of the department of health continually berate the public about what they need to do and talk down to them like children. There would be mass protests if this happened I believe in other countries but not here as it is a religious/cult like fanaticism seems to have taken over Ireland so much so that nothing else matters. We are far too accommodating with this nonsense in this country especially when we had the longest restrictions / lockdowns in Europe and probably the highest vaccine uptake rate. Especially after yesterdays briefing where we are being told yet again to limit our contacts despite me having taken the vaccines and even the flu jab!

If the media persons I mentioned weren`t fed oxygen I agree I would not be complaining here about the hysteria but here we are. Its wall to wall and I am actively turning off the radio and TV where to avoid it where possible only tuning in occasionally.

I have a couple of nice sports books on the way ordered for distraction😀

According to this study above, we are number 13 in the OECD when it comes to health spending (perhaps there’s better metrics for measuring that kind of thing)

In the link below, it lists the top health care systems in the world. All countries above us the OECD list come top 30, but we ranked as 80th best healthcare in the world.

Now this is a very quick look online, and not all things are equal. But it points to something seriously wrong with how we use our healthcare funding.

I turn down the car radio when the news leads with covid. (thats most days)

I watch BBC news and SKY news to see what is happening in the world.

The other night the top 5 items on RTE.ie was covid.

Nothing on BBC.com and on Sky news covid made it in at No. 9.

All the hype fed by a number of reported cases which we knew was a backlog.

Primetime doubled down on it and went all in on covid.

Totally disproportionate media frenzy, as usual.

And then the usuals on here try to defend it.

I wonder do they endure hours and hours of covid.tv soaking it all in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BBC Radio 4 midnight news. 30 minutes long. The usual mention of Covid is a brief account of cases and deaths in the UK and a brief note if any of these numbers are particularly high or low. About 15 seconds long, and usually mentioned about 20 minutes in.

If this was RTÉ it would take up the first 7-8 minutes full of numbers about hospitals and quotes from NPHET. This repeated misery has to have a lasting negative psychological impact on the country.

I have issues with a lot of NPHET'S members, but she is the absolute worst. She is on radio, without fail, every day after a jump in numbers or a NPHET meeting, looking for more restrictions. Whatever about them having their little pressers / lectures, there is no need for them to be number one contact in the radio's phone book, or as I suspect, the likes of Favier going running to do interviews anytime something happens to push her restrictions ideology.

I have my misgivings on Tony and Nolan, but is there any need to be hearing from 10 different members of NPHET every week?

And some here think there is no media frenzy.

It must also be pointed out that the media here are coining it with endless covid ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

So many people here are screaming that we must live with this virus.

I would interpret yesterdays message from the cmo to reduce contacts as just that. They are giving the population a chance to reduce the high infection rates within communities before perhaps considering intervention like the lockdowns before. I think lockdown might be too harsh at this stage but they might order for hospitality to close. In the face of high infection rates they are asking people to reevaluate plans and reduce contacts. Say for example you had plans for hosting a party like a birthday party or engagement party, they are asking people to reevaluate their plans in the face of high infection rates and is it absolutely completely essential? Is there a need to go to the pubs and clubbing every weekend. Maybe instead of going out every weekend, could someone perhaps go out every second weekend. Is there a need to go into the city for browsing and shopping around the shops every weekend. That type of stuff.

They are rolling this back to the population to reduce the infection rates within communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The Journal can't be taken seriously. It removes comments that don't suit it's narrative and it's not a fair reflection on how society views current affairs. It's basically an opinion piece based platform without free speech. The fact some politicians have pointed to it's polls in the past as a reflection on the pulse of the public tells you just how much of a famine we have here in Ireland in balanced thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

There absolutely is and the hilarious thing is the media don’t even realise they are completely out of touch with the general public mood. They lost that sometime last year when they failed to even ask basic questions over the continuing restrictions and bullshit we were forced to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Yeap we fcuked up bigtime. I remember the usual clique of talking heads on RTE and Newstalk etc... berating Boris over the opening in the summer portraying him as an idiot and "callous" etc... The real idiots where the ones governing us right here.

Wall to wall covid.

When every mention of the word triggers irrational fury , you see nothing but covid bogeymen everywhere.

Of course its still a big story. But COP26 for one is getting more air time these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The point is that the risk/reward from the SARS-COV2 vaccines outweighs that of other vaccines we routinely administer to children.

Yet (barring the no-vax loons) most people will happily follow the science for the early childhood vaccination (and openly claim this) yet ignore science for the SARS-COV2 vaccines, it is a logical fallacy that can't be hand waved away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭brickster69

Merck anti viral approved for use in the UK. Expected to roll out next month in the NHS

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

COP26 is just flavor of the week, gotta give the people a break from the unrelenting misery of covid and beat them incessantly over the head about how the world is literally gonna burst in to flames in like a year, or maybe 100? We’ll be back in to Covid land next week and hearing all about “meaningful Christmas’” and how bad the winter will be for the health service blah blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Thats exactly it. The CMO gives common sense advice and hes attacked as if he was a malign dictator. We now have only minor restrictions so i honestly can't see what the complaints are. I'm too old for clubs but I can go wherever I want and the only very minor issue is having to wear a mask.

Advertisement