Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Paris is further east that London, downcow. Aligning with Paris would put us further from solar time than we now are, not nearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

What does accuracy matter when you can mask your insecurities by demeaning the people you share an island with?

If I recall correctly, the biggest issue is that we're about 25mins off GMT with actual solar time.....given that my work is largely international, the mess the scheduling mess that would result from not just rounding to the nearest hour would be a pain in the hole; I'll suffer Downcow's sneering for that convenience.

Actually, right now, Dublin is closer to solar time (we're 9 minutes ahead of solar time) than either London (16 minutes behind) or Paris) 34 minutes ahead.

But we all have to yield to Belfast (7 minutes ahead). And Belfast must bow to Douglas (2 minutes ahead). And Douglas has to give place to Cumbernauld, where clock time is exactly the same as solar time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Never mind what time it is - what century is it?

Not your ornery onager

In Cumbernauld? In Cumbernauld it's always about 1961.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

How is it supremacist thinking to point out that it is practically impossible for native peoples to make colonisers and planters assimilate into their society.. Native Americans didn't manage it. Aborigines didn't manage it.

Did the fail miserably as well? Or is that sort of thing only levelled at the Irish?

In Ireland, famously, we did get colonisers and planters to assimilate. The first wave became "more Irish than the Irish themselves". The English authorities were quite unhappy about it, as I recall.

Plus, it's a mistake to conflate the unionist/British community in NI with the descendants of planters and colonisers; the two groups overlap only to a small extent. The areas where unionism/British identity is strongest, Antrim and Down, were never planted, while some counties that were planted, like Cavan and Monaghan, have a strong nationalist majority.

The truth is that for much of history travel, and therefore social and economic connections, between the North East of Ireland and Scotland was much easier than travel between the North East and most of the rest of the country. This is because travel by water in boats was quicker and easier than overland travel. This last point is true for the whole of Ireland, but it played out differently in the North East because of the adjacency of Scotland. The British aspect of Northern Ireland's culture and society is the natural result of proximity to Scotland and regular population interchange and mixing with Scotlan much more than the forced outcome of colonisation and settlement by England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You have some bizarre posts, but claiming Ireland and France are the same longitude tips the lot for me.

From this post it actually appears that you either don't know what longitude is or you have never seen a map of Europe.

Downcow is nearly correct - well, nearly technically correct.

The westernmost point of France and the easternmost point of Ireland are separated by just 47' of longitude. Which is hardly anything, really.

As it happens, though, the easternmost point of Ireland lies in County Down — it's Burr Point, on the Ards Pensinsula. So if this is an argument for being in the same timezone as Paris, it's an argument that applies to Northern Ireland with more force than it does to the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Another excellent post. I do appreciate that you are not quite as affected by prejudice on some issues as most of the rest of us (some more than others ). I love the way I totally disagree with some of your posts while agreeing strongly with others.

• Advertisement

Apologies. How silly of me. You are almost entirely correct.

I should have given Spain as example. Anyhow you emphasise my point for me. Ireland (and Uk) sit within the longitude of Western Europe. Can we all agree that if the British mainland did not exist that Ireland would be aligned with Western European time?

the point I am making is that many on here try to goade by saying Belfast is not as British as Finchley, based on difference. I am pointing out one of many ways (maybe not the greatest example and only highlighted on the day of the timechange) that Galway differs from EU and aligns with Uk.

that’s all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It has always been clear that the Torys have a disdain for Northern Ireland. The words of Edward Carson in 1921 are testament to this ‘What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative party into power.”

The fact that the bizarre Brexit song that Boris recommended be sung in schools every day which doesn’t even include Northern Ireland with its ‘One Britain’ mantra is a kick in the face for any Unionist who believes that they are better off in a Brexit U.K. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/brexit-uk-government-asks-children-sing-one-nation-one-britain-2021-6%3Famp

Just saw this.

“Irish Govs position is that the Protocol is sacred. However, utilising Article 16 within that sacred Protocol is impermissible because… well because it doesn’t suit nationalism’s objectives.”

would you be inclined to agree with it?

We are on Western European time, as you'll discover if you check the Wikipedia article on the Western European Time Zone. So is the UK.

It's France and Spain that are the anomalies here - they are both on Central European Time, despite this putting them further from solar time than WET would. They used to be on WET but they switched - France, because of the vast amount of physical, social and economic connections across its eastern border and Spain, because of France.

There's a trade-off between being on clock time which is close to solar time, and being on clock time which is convenient for your social and economic connections. France prefers to be on CET rather than WET because the inconvenience of Paris being 34 minutes ahead of solar time is not much greater than the inconvenience of Paris being 26 minutes behind it, as they would be if they were on WET, and it's more than offset by the convenience of being on CET for transport, social, commercial etc links with other countries in the CET time zone.

The further from the equator you are, the greater the inconvenience of being out of synch with solar time. Great Britain lies pretty much within the same longitudes as France and does far more business with CET countries than with the other WET countries (which are, basically, Ireland and Portugal), but hasn't switched to CET. Ireland's centre of population is further north than the UK's so it's not a given that, even if the UK weren't there, Ireland would opt for CET.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

This is one you should really go back to the drawing board on, Downcow.

Due to shared history, Ireland and Britain have much in common, no one has denied that....but you're really grasping at straws with the reasoning behind your example.

Perhaps you should follow the advice you shared earlier on the thread and just leave it at, 'I was wrong'....

🤔 interesting how many posters need to know who said something before they can decide whether they agree or not #trythinkingforyourself

How can you agree on whether it is the government’s position without any clue on whether it is the government’s position. On the face of it it’s incorrect and a misunderstanding of what triggering article 16 means as even if triggered the requirements of the protocol are sacrosanct. Also the Northern Ireland protocol benefits both sides of Northern Ireland and not just nationalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I would not agree with the statement. I think utilising Article 16 within the protocol should be done by the UK if they feel that serves them best. However triggering article 16 and then complaining about the repercussions of triggering it should not be done.

Now, where did you see that statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Starting to sound like art. 16 is imminent. We'll be in for a rough ride but I'm interested to see where it all goes.

We obviously don't agree with it. It's nonsense. Seriously, you need to be told this?

The question is why you think it's worth putting to us for comment, and who said it may cast some light on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Australia manage fine with 2 timezones at the same latitude in 1 country for 6 months of the year. This argument against stopping DST because of NI holds no water.

Australia's a continent. East to west it has three time zones all year round, and daylight saving-timed is practise in southern parts of the country but not in the north. But there are solid justifications for all this; the brute facts of geography outweigh the inconvenience of having different clock times in different parts of the country.

None of this is true for Ireland. There are no geographical considerations at all which would warrant different time zones in an island this size. Different time zones between Britain and Ireland, possibly - for most of the history of the union (1800-1916) they had different times, though I think it would be hard to justify now. But different time zones within Ireland or within Great Britain would be impossible to justify; they would make no sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id be in favour of getting rid of DST and staying on summer time but if you live north of the border and work south if it, two different time zones would be hell.

Australia is a continent so not comparable imo.

• Advertisement

I’d be more worried about the clocks going back to the early 1970s in Northern Ireland if Boris continues the way he is going.

Being offset by an hour for half the year would certainly be an inconvenience (and I can't see much of a benefit to doing so), but hell is a bit of an exaggeration!

Many of us work with/across multiple timezones already. There are plenty of productivity tools in place to even take the thinking factor out of it.

That all being said, that inconvenience comes with way too little benefit to justify not staying in lockstep with NI.....given the rioting and bus being burnt out regarding the NI Protocol (largely by people who don't understand said protocol but just view it as an attack on their perceived Britishness), the decision to drop DST almost certainly won't happen without Britain making the same decision across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

All this Irish/UK timezone stuff...🤔I'd actually thought downcow might have alluding to the noises at EU level about ending Daylight Saving time (or is it ending Summer time, don't recall which without googling details...) + the clock changes. It often comes up for discussion at this time of year.

I think the Irish govt. is opposed to that at the moment, presumably because of NI, and fact there doesn't seem to be any moves afoot in UK (as far as I'm aware?) to get rid of it.

Commuting is hell in general. That's my opinion anyway. If a 20 minute commute is now an 80 minute commute that's hell for the impacted person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I interpreted it as attempted sneering at RoI for it's 'subservience' to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Outside of border areas, the effects would be negligible, given the level of North/South interaction.

.....what?!

Your twenty minute commute still takes twenty minutes even if the timezone of your destination is different. You're changing your clock, not the space-time continuum.

EDIT: Not worth responding to such low grade bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Regarding 'different time zones within (the island of) Ireland would be impossible to justify, they would make no sense'.

Even if one agrees that it's not a fundamentally sensible idea, does it actually cause any real issues. i.e., would it not be accurate to say that opposing two time zones just for the sake of opposing two time zones also makes no sense? It strikes me as something which would be a bit of an inconvenience for about a week and then everyone would be used to it.

It doesn't seem to me to be any more disruptive than having two currencies, two legal systems, two different sets of road signs, two measurement systems - all of which we cope with relatively seamlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

DC in several threads you have made a point of pretending not to know how politics work in Ireland or even who senior politicians are (Micheál Martin, Michael D Higgins) only to have been caught out in all of these when presented with previous posts to the contrary.

So with this in mind do you seriously expect us to take your analysis of life in Ireland seriously or even dignify it with an answer? So many posters wasted time with you insisting that you were feigning ignorance by not knowing senior Irish politicians only for you to be caught out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Go on a big construction site in Dublin atm and look at the amount of Northern regs.

The flip of that argument is that the UK can't be as less EUish as they want to because of Dublin. Because we chose to stay within the EU the UK gets an internal border.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Spain and Portugal are in different timezones. I imagine they have plenty of people who cross the border for work.

A change in timezone won't affect them anymore than having two currencies, two different car reg regimes, or two different anything else.

The attempts to hang on to the same timezone because of something something Northern Ireland strike me as being very strange. There are clear benefits to public health in having more light in the evening when most people would get some exercise which more than balance out any discomfort at having a different timezone to the North.

Correct, which is why I am in favour of us changing the timezone for the good reasons it is needed and ignoring any symbolic issues to do with the North.

• Advertisement

The point is well-made. East-West issues regarding the timezone have a bigger practical effect than any North-South issues.

No the practical effect would be from the amount of people who cross the timezone or work and live in the different timezone. More people travel north south than east west. A time zone between Ireland and Britain would be more practical than one within Ireland

Does anyone commute east west daily? A construction worker would have to leave an hour earlier if the south gets rid of the hour change while the North keeps it. Most sites start at 7.30am and there is the commute time too.

Let's face it Blanch your motive is to try and split Ireland more here as you are a very sectarian person.

I genuinely don't; I mean I get that your clock changes by 80 minutes, but I can't get my head around how you would process that as the commute taking 80 minutes.

And even if you did, following the same rationale, your commute home would be taking minus forty minutes; end result is you've commuted forty minutes total for the day either way. You're starting and finishing an hour early/late relative to your local time zone, depending on the direction of travel. Hardly, 'hell'.

The point is an obvious baiting attempt.

You didn't say E/W had a bigger practical effect, you said N/S issues were negligible outside of the border counties. You've moved the goalposts onto a different pitch, Blanch.

So no, your point wasn't well made, even if I believed for a second it wasn't intentional. It fits altogether too conveniently into your constant attempts to other NI. You'd have us switch to bloody Pacific Time if you could hold it up as a difference with NI.

If I've to get up an hour earlier to be in work for the same time thats an added hour to my commute.

Much of NI, and a signficant part of the Republic, would be classed as a "frontier zone" in international terms. NI/RoI interaction is large - there are far movemeents across the RoI/NI border than there are across the NI/GB border - and, unsurprisingly, growing rapidly since Brexit.

No, child, it really isn't. The time for any journey depends on distance and speed. Getting up an hour earlier won't make your work further away, and it won't make you travel more slowly. This already happens every years when the clocks change, remember.

• Advertisement

If I usually get up at 8am to be in work for 9am and now have to get up at 7am to be in work for 9am. It has indeed added an hour to my morning commute.

Advertisement