Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

I'd say Thronley not far off the mark there. Conway the surprise inclusion for me if he is correct along with Beirne over Henderson.

Sexton to probably only play 50 minutes, if someone wants to take his place they need to be better than him - no one close at the moment.

Lowe still the best and most versatile attacking back three in the country, even more so with the 50:22 rule and his strong kicking game. Obviously has defensive issues but if he's starting then Farrell must be confident he's addressed them to some degree (he had a blip for Leinster a few games back but otherwise has been solid).

Absolutely right to go full strength against Japan, team will need a game before facing the All Blacks. Some rotation will come with the Argentina fixture, I'd imagine Sexton will sit that one out entirely.

Farrell clearly likes JGP who I think has been eclipsed at Leinster by McGrath so far this season. If it's Kelleher over Herring that makes 12 of the starting 15 from Leinster, with Conway and Beirne having originated their careers there. No Ulster representation in the starting 15 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

The only difference is O'Mahony doesnt have a walking stick yet...yes it isnt urgent that he's moved on but at the same time we should be focusing more on someone like Coombes. And once again the same old argument just like all the other pensioners, the reason there isnt a player as good as the pensioner is because the pensioner is the only player who's got to play in that position on a consistent basis. In the 2021 6N even without O'Mahony our line out was the best in the championship which show's that he must not be that crucial to the line out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Well actually NZ are blooding a lot of guys v Italy this weekend.

Unlike us, who feel we have to go fully locked and loaded v Japan to "prepare" for NZ next week.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't treat the NZ like a test match. Of course we should try to win it. But we shouldn't be treating it like the be all and end all to the point where we use the Japan game as a warm up, when we should be using it to give our other options at 10 game time in a settled side against a "decent" team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

we rely on credit in the bank. James Lowe saids hello.

This is a very strange argument. James Lowe has six caps, the last of which went very badly for him and resulted in him being dropped for the England game. By what measure does he have credit in the bank with Farrell and Ireland??

And form in the URC means precisely f**k all. The standard is usually so low that it's no predictor of test ability at all. Like, Ross Byrne would have 50 caps if we were picking on league performances.

You play well for your province, you get a call up. From there, some guys get into the national team, some don't. This is why we have a coaching team and don't just put a poll up on Twitter.

• Advertisement

Other teams take the autumn internationals as seriously as we do and if not it would only be off by a little bit. That's not Ireland's problem, Ireland's problem is when we have a problem we never look to fix the problem but instead just kick the can down the road, make excuses and hope the problem fix's itself. During the last RWC cycle it was clear at the start of 2019 that our issue was our lack of evolvement in our play but instead of looking to fix the problem the media starting pushing excuses like "can we stand up to the English and South African packs", I knew we were screwed once that excuse started being paddled. In the end the QF versus NZL we played pretty much the exact same XV that we would have played versus England in February if the same squad of players were available which goes to show how little was done to fix the problem and deservedly we got our pants pulled down and got beat in a similar fashion to the way England beat us.

The difference with France is they aren't afraid to throw someone in when they are seen to have potential, I look at some of the players they call up and we could only dream of an Irish coaching staff being as brave in selection.

Even look at NZL who have named Josh Lord in their XV versus Italy, a player with 5 super rugby appearances in his career, do you think we would have done the same thing if he was Irish? Not a chance.

NZ have just finished the Rugby Championship, their first team has had plenty of run outs. This is our first match in 5 months and a run out for the first choice 23 a week in advance of the NZ game makes complete sense. If we did anything else I'd have been very surprised.

Again, I think people have the misconception that I want us to field a completely alternate XV, which is not the case.

I'm happy for us to play our 1st XV this weekend, just not Sexton at 10.

But how in the hell are Lowe, Conway, JGP and Herring in our first XV?

Irish wingers like Larmour and Baloucoune must be wondering how many opposition tries Kiwi Lowe must be directly responsible for before he's dropped.

Andrew Conway is a "winger" who scored 1 try in all of last season.

Why are quality Irish scrum halves like Cooney and Blade cast out for NZ reject JGP?

We have 2 of the most talented young hookers in the NH left out for South African Herring

I would be happy to have a largely full strength side, but make some alterations to see A) If a player can step up against tier 1 opposition and B) If a player can fit right into the Irish starting XV. It would be perfect for someone like Balacoune or Frawley.

• Advertisement

Sexton is going to be starting against the All Blacks, so like everyone else this weekend - he needs a run out with the team to build a bit of cohesion.

Lowe, Conway, Herring and JGP are in the team because they are either better than the alternatives or are better suited to the game plan than the alternatives. I'm not getting into a debate about the merits or otherwise of project players.

Ireland Team & Replacements (v Japan, Autumn Nations Series, Saturday, November 6, 1 pm)

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 13 caps

14. Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 25 caps

13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 34 caps

12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 31 caps

11. James Lowe (Leinster) 6 caps

10. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 99 caps CAPTAIN

9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 10 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 49 caps

4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 22 caps

5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

6. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 9 caps

7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 32 caps

8. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 20 caps

Replacements

16. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne)*

17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 109 caps

18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 16 caps

19. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 63 caps

20. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 76 caps

21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 89 caps

22. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 24 caps

23. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 93 caps

*denotes uncapped player

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Only 7 forwards from Leinster. THIS WILL NOT DO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I really like that pack. It's ultra athletic and has a lot of very good ball players in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ladies and Gentlemen....

Start. Your. COMPLAINING

12 of starting 15 from Leinster. Wonder is that most players from one province?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Of course you do...it's the Leinster pack plus Beirne.

It is good though and will likely dominate Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I find the second row selection interesting/surprising, would have thought Henderson would start. I'm not crazy about the bench I have to say. Not sure it packs much of a punch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's still the best pack we have athletically. I would maybe have gone for Henderson and Ryan at lock and Beirne in the second row. But Doris is not a bad substitute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Henderson only has half a game of rugby since the Lions, I wonder was that a factor (also the case for Murray)

• Administrators Posts: 53,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster vs Japan.

It's a shame that this is where we are at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I applaud anyone with a different angle to give out about. It’s needed here.

So the only players not from Leinster in the XV are Aki, Lowe and Gibson-Park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Gibson park is from Leinster, Beirne isnt.

Never mind, i see what you meant

• Administrators Posts: 53,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes I am sure we'll get plenty of condescending comments about how we should all just be quiet and be happy but it absolutely sucks how lopsided Irish Rugby has become.

Only 3 players not from Leinster, and 2 of those 3 could be replaced with more Leinster men without an eyelid being batted.

Would've liked Baloucoune to be in the squad for this one. Think Conways time is up and we already know how good Earls is. Don't need to spring him off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

As expected, I guess. Not what I would go with. However, Farrell is the coach and these are his decisions.

I don't believe we're going to get rolled by NZ. I think we could even win . But, for me the non inclusion of younger lads is a mistake. At least for this match!

Im excited to see how Sexton gets on here, will be of great insight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I actually think Conway has been in good form again this year. In my opinion he deserves another shot to prove himself. This game looks like Farrell is giving Lowe and Conway the chance to play themselves back into contention. Balacoune should also get time on the pitch. The only reason I can see that Earls is on the bench is that he is covering 13.

Advertisement