Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

No he was on here singling it out 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I suppose it depends on what you make of statements like "handing over the agricultural sector as the sacrificial lamb".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

The only flaw to your genius is that the agriculture industry, as well as being subject to their own cuts, will feel the effects of nearly all of the other sectors' cuts also. We'll be paying more for transport, energy, construction etc.

You say we should all shoulder the burden equally together. Can you tell me one cut/tax increase that applies to you that doesn't apply to me?

The farmer has nobody to pass on his increased costs to unless the worldwide production of beef/dairy is reduced (which is not happening any time soon), as the worldwide marketplace will ensure that if an increased price is sought for any Irish product, it will just be sourced elsewhere.

The fact that the EU haven't torn up the mercosur deal tells me they don't give one damn about reducing beef production/consumption. Their main aim is to fiddle the environmental balance sheet, which says you have to account for any beef/dairy produced, not consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So any new environmental schemes aimed at reducing emissions - are they likely to be eu funded or Irish gov funded ?

Are we likely to see half the country in an enormous reps scheme (may not be a bad thing ) with a few horses as lawn mowers ? And ship all the calves to Holland to become their methane problem ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The flaw is in your genius if you think agriculture is the only sector impacted by increased costs of transport, energy and construction.

Serious need for a sense of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Indeed good man 👍 you've hit the nail on the head......... now when you have had that sense of proportion let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Expect no change, the processors and industry interests have the two parties by the short and curlies.. he who pay the piper...

cheap export beef in volume is what they still want.

The methane nonsense has played right into their court. Let’s keep the beef coming for Larry now in numbers with fossil fuel reliant inputs and beat those silly Green Party who want to cull farmers!!!

https://thatsfarming.com/farming-news/average-slaughter-age/

we have been played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Where's the money going to come from to purchase 1000 euro a ton fertiliser and 350 euro a ton plus finishing rations to get animals slaughtered earlier, the poor pets are in dreamland they are implementing policies that might of worked in 2020/early 21 that are off the table now, theirs a ******m coming re food security for 2023 that will leave the new cap been tore up and something brought back-in to incentavize production

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Is that all you can come with? Where exactly did I say that?

When you said "The only flaw to your genius is that the agriculture industry, as well as being subject to their own cuts, will feel the effects of nearly all of the other sectors' cuts also. We'll be paying more for transport, energy, construction etc.", as if paying more for transport, energy and construction was a cross-over uniquely experienced by agriculture.

In a context where the fact is agriculture will face a lower target. Refuting the contention of another poster that Government was "handing over the agricultural sector as the sacrificial lamb".

Sad to see Waterford Whispers so far off the mark; their humour is usually on the button. Whereas:

• farmers are being protected
    • farmers don't produce that much veg, and mostly produce meat and dairy for export
    • one third of farmers could leave the industry, with no substantial impact on anything (particularly as farmers leaving the industry does not mean less land would be farmed)

No joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lets get real, every government will use CLimate Change as justification to raise duties on countless products, as to raise billions, when the solution is to ban those products.

All about the money

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I wonder how Larry good and feels about national herd reduction.i have a feeling things may happen behind the scene's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The kicker is if they go draconian on carbon taxes etc, they'll kill private business of with death by a thousand cuts and economic growth will stagnant our decline globally, maybe they reckon the renewable energy sector building spree that they are championing will negate this, but it's a big gamble to take

Fuel prices are very high yet the roads are mad busy

Perhaps a bigger push on wfh and learn from home will help

Maybe promote beef breeds with a natural low methane output that can also be finished off grass

Encourage beef farmers to scrap cows that don’t produce a calf a year and or produce an animal that can be finished well under 30 months

Same on dairy side, scrap cows with lower yields etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In reality the planet is doing the damage to itself & its literally the natural cycle of the planet ,

People forget we ARE the planet ,It was the biosphere that created us ( not some god ) , the plants, the ground , the sea's, the animals & Us (&everything else) are the planet we are not separate ,

The condition & the atmosphere of the planet has forever changed and will continue to do so ,

99% of things to have lived here at one time are no extinct & one day we will be as welll,

SO enjoy the ride & don't worry to much

The reality is businesses that are not green enough will struggle to obtain financing of any kind as banks and investors all over the world are shifting to support only those businesses & industries that are making serious efforts to reduce emissions.

The pressure is coming from all sides to reduce emissions asap, customers, investors, governments etc so any that chose not to change will find themselves squeezed more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see in the IFJ there is talk of a early slaughter premium (24 months) and there are suggestions that the "incentive" (does that mean funding) is coming from a public private partnership between the Government and meat factories.

Think of all the lovely prime beef that Larry et al are going to basically steal at rock bottom prices because the cattle fell out of the required spec by a day or two or a kg or two - we've been dumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Re "an enormous reps scheme". Acting on bad advice from my then Teagasc advisor I didn't jump into REPS 4 early as I was told it wasn't possible. The entire REPS scheme was then ended to any applicants due to the economic situation in the country at that time. That left an €11,300 hole in my finances. I would advise anyone to be seriously cautious about relying on schemes that may entail doing fúck all. When the economic tide goes out, and it always does, environmental schemes will be the first to get the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Too many people on the planet, and they all need food. Not sustainable ,I predict food shortages , even in Ireland within 10 year. Vegetable oil prices have doubled in last few weeks, all foods contain oils, expect a huge price increase.

• Advertisement

If this early slaughter premium goes ahead then I see the majority of continental bred/cross bred cattle struggle to survive. It will be as jay mentioned above it will be death by a thousand cuts to the suckler industry and pedigree continental breeders. The push in the last couple of years is for our beef animals to be sourced from the dairy herd. Realistically can you finish a AAx/HEx/SHx bull @ 24 months off grass without a 40/50/60/70 day intensive feeding regime. The implication going forward is that bullocks are going to be non existent irrespective of breed so does that put an end to our application of "grass fed beef" EU regional certification.

Id say it’s the end of dairy cross bullock alright. In my opinion all male dairy offspring should be finished as bulls well under 20 months

Big heavy continental stock are a total dead loss, give me an easy calving limo or blonde sure but the hardship of calving those big hard calvers and the length of time to finish them

Id be more in favour of scrapping non performing beef and dairy cows as it will reduce methane a lot easier

24 month premiums etc will just benefit the processor

If this early slaughter premium does go ahead it is even more ironic that the Government are getting into bed with the processors. As Wrangler would say - you couldn't make it up.

Like if input costs continue to rise then in makes sense to cut down cow numbers.

Make dairy more extensive and save costs and the price of milk has to go up.

To make it easier on the dairy farmer introduce a rental cap or support on rented land to lower their input costs so they can run less cows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Suppose all farmers will have to be Bord bia too

It's not as simple as reducing dairy cow numbers. The Government via Teagasc has a responsibility to the dairy sector for actively promoting and driving on dairy expansion in the last few years. Thousands of family dairy farms all over the country expanded (some substantially/some not as much) on foot of such promotion and advise. These farms are heavily indebted and reducing cow numbers isn't really an option for them. I appreciate that new nitrate legislation will force some to changes.

They want a 30% reduction

They need some cut in numbers to do that otherwise it’s unachievable.

If a farm goes to the wall over a cut of say 10% then it wasn’t viable in the first place

If a previous viable farm borrowed to increase the Government backed expansion then any cut is going to be hard on them. I'm not a dairy farmer and but I think the that the dye has been cast but I suppose time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

I'm not so sure on this. Case in point is BHP (mining) has been reducing it's portfolio in thermal coal due to pressure from shareholders and investors based mainly on price and environmental concerns. Funnily enough thermal coal has rebounded price wise and now BHP has slowed it's off loading of thermal coal assets with investor sentiment softening towards the raw material recently.

• Advertisement

That’s why I say if a dairy farmer has to cut cows then their biggest input cost rented land needs to cut in price.

Wouldnt 200 an acre be enough. Paying 400 an acre is mad.

Advertisement